• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] please give an opinion on istp behavior

grendiecat

MBTI Type
ENFJ
need to get this one out of my system once and for all. have a crush on an istp. guy is someone i sometimes work with. he went through a divorce about a year ago, still maybe somewhat wounded, maybe--not sure about that. first said we couldn't be friends--conflict of interest (because we work together somewhat), he's selfish, different places in life, etc. etc. then changed his mind and we can be friends but wants to make sure i understand that he's not looking for a relationship. fine. now we've kicked up communication, e-mail each other back and forth about every three days or so. been working on developing him as a friend for 9 mos before he finally says he's up for that. for six months it's not ok and then a seemingly sudden turnaround out of nowhere. went out for beers a few nights ago--fun, he was pretty open, very entertaining, etc. Then two nights later, i thought he wanted to be invited again to go with me and another friend and we went out again--I didn't invite him--the other friend (who I know he isn't interested in) did. He confides in me about work and i confide in him and I know a good amount about his personal life/he knows as much about mine. Is there any possibility here or am I in enfj la la land in wishing it was? He's so reserved/hard to get to know, but i know a fair amount about him, he has spoken about some emotional stuff (certainly in the smallest of increments)--does this sound like there is any possibility this could develop into anything else? We are both into adventure stuff/outdoors stuff. I know he likes me as a person a good amount because I don't think an istp would bother otherwise. Right? I thought I would be comfortable just being his friend, but don't know if I can fully--just like him more than that. Does it sound like there are any romantic possibilities here? I just don't know at all how an ISTP would act if they were interested in someone. Or became interested.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Seems like a dialogue has been started on this subject, and another one here.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:laugh:

Kind of sounds like he's jerking you around a bit from your point of view. I mean, is it really bad professional policy for co-workers to be friends? Then again, from his point of view, he might just being straightfoward with his intentions (or lack thereof).

Really I get from your message that you really want to know if there's a romantic future there, but who knows if he's interested/ready? Certainly not us, faceless posters on the internet.

Hang out. Get to know him better if the opportunity comes up. Regardless of type, he's an adult and the one that started out by saying there he had no romantic intentions, so if he changes his mind, he can and should be the one to initiate that conversation/flirtation/etc.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It doesn't matter what his type is, if he says he doesn't want a relationship, pressuring him into one is probably not going to end well. Wait for him to make the first non-platonic move when he's ready, if he ever will (and it's likely that he won't).

On a more type-specific note, ISTPs are kinda notorious for impulsively going for things they want, and screw the consequences (within reason). Since he's not going after you romantically, he probably has a good reason for it (or several reasons).

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hey, I just noticed randomly that you posted in an earlier thread that you were married to an ISTP....now you're asking if you should go after another one? :huh:

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
hey, I just noticed randomly that you posted in an earlier thread that you were married to an ISTP....now you're asking if you should go after another one? :huh:
She quoted someone else without the quote thing.

Anyway... it seems like the ball's in his court. Best of luck. I'd keep your options open though.

grendiecat

MBTI Type
ENFJ
right--i'm not married;)

Don't really go down that cheating path--everything is complicated enough without that in the mix.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Generally...we don't tend to plan that far ahead. So, in my opinion...it is certainly possible that he will change his mind in the future, but I wouldn't expect it.

grendiecat

MBTI Type
ENFJ
miller--you always have good answers;)

I think we need to start some kind of social group here, more activity based--i.e. who wants to go atving or canyoneering soon--part of the appeal of those istps and their love for adventure. maybe I should retake the test. I think I'm too "activity oriented" to really be an enfj.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
whoops, my bad! Guess I should have read that a little closer, it did seem confusing...

anyway ignore that, I'll stick with my first answer. :)

edit: and I would loove to get together for ATVing/hiking/etc but I'm pretty far from most of you, I think, and as a broke student I'm not really up for travel. Not sure how much of an interest there would be in that anyway...there aren't many SPs here, though there are some Ns here who are pretty outdoorsy.

grendiecat

MBTI Type
ENFJ
adventure organizers--where are you people--take over!

too bad everyone is likely so far apart. i'm always on a quest to get people to be part of some adventure. i'd like to have someone get me on board for their adventure sometime instead of always being the initiator. i want to be an introvert--organizing stuff is exhausting if you're always the organizer.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
edit: and I would loove to get together for ATVing/hiking/etc but I'm pretty far from most of you, I think, and as a broke student I'm not really up for travel. Not sure how much of an interest there would be in that anyway...there aren't many SPs here, though there are some Ns here who are pretty outdoorsy.

I'm an outdoors person as well, but unless you live in the Northeastern US, that's unlikely.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an outdoors person as well, but unless you live in the Northeastern US, that's unlikely.
Well, southern ontario, that's sorta close to northeastern US. But yeah, still pretty unlikely.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, southern ontario, that's sorta close to northeastern US. But yeah, still pretty unlikely.

Nice place, I've been through there before. Even your cops were nice...I was amazed they bought the "We're stupid americans and didn't realize that your signs are in KM/H, which is why we were doing 100mph on the highway." excuse.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's more evident with "people like ISTPs" that you don't want to change their behavior or make them behave a certain way because you like it. Out of all of the IXTX types, they'll be the most likely to react negatively (and loudly or more pronounced at that.) You can at least be thankful for that though, at least they're more likely to be more straightforward, unless they're pushovers or conflict averse. There's a general rule of interacting with people, accept others and not expect from others, and you're usually well off.

It's not as if a lot of things in life are really dramatic or a big deal to them - other than their goals or the personal bits (like friends, family, love, etc.) Life is clear and simple, even the complicated things, and their priorities are well defined. They're a special blend of serious and adventurous that allows them to enjoy life pretty well, in a way that they like of course.

A couple of ISTPs I know consider socializing/interpersonal stuff to be enough of a sore spot already...if so, don't give them too much crap for it.

And another thing--teasing is usually a BAD idea.

opinion on istp behavior: good