• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Are ISTPs the most mysterious/confusing personality type?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is some level of randomness or 'out there'-quality to you that I'd probably never feel 100% sure about your type. But ISTP seems like a fair assumption.

This quote pretty much sums up the main point of this thread. I don't get it. Why the freak would ISTP be such a mysterious and confusing quality? Do we have a lot of self contradictory tendencies or is our behavior and thought processing just to advanced for others to logically follow?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
For what it's worth I've always thought ISTPs have the strengths of all types and the weaknesses of none. Damn them.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
For what it's worth I've always thought ISTPs have the strengths of all types and the weaknesses of none. Damn them.

I find ISTPs live on the brink of the N and S world, at least for me. In the N world I'm only interested in theory that is useful to me when I get into S mode. In the S world I can gather enough facts and data to get the job done with precision and timing only to retreat back into the N world where I'm constantly gathering more information (Ti Ni maybe?). I think we still need to work on giving hugs and all that good stuff though. :)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find ISTPs live on the brink of the N and S world, at least for me. In the N world I'm only interested in theory that is useful to me when I get into S mode. In the S world I can gather enough facts and data to get the job done with precision and timing only to retreat back into the N world where I'm constantly gathering more information (Ti Ni maybe?). I think we still need to work on giving hugs and all that good stuff though. :)

:yes: :wubbie:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was just told "you are a man with few words"by an ENFP i have known since i was 17. I think this is a huge source of my mysteriousness.

W

WALMART

This quote pretty much sums up the main point of this thread. I don't get it. Why the freak would ISTP be such a mysterious and confusing quality? Do we have a lot of self contradictory tendencies or is our behavior and thought processing just to advanced for others to logically follow?

Look at the list of ISTP characers in fiction:

Solid Snake
The Man with No Name
Roland Deschain
Link
Wolverine
Sam Fischer
Jason Bourne
Jack Bauer
James Bond (maybe ESTP, though I feel it is a front for his operations)
Butch Coolidge
Han Solo
Boba Fett
Whoever Bruce Lee is playing
Etc.

All characters that say little, do much. Ti persuades them to analyze systems, which is fuelled by Se, the ability to accurately accumulate information from sensory perceptions. Throw in tertiary Ni to develop some independent truths and a near disregard for those in their environment and you're guaranteed an oddly capable being of existence that is likely to gain real-world and on-screen interest.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
As an ISTP I always feel like I'm at war with myself. It's as if someone took the personality of a jock and a nerd and tried to smush them together. The results being I'm never truly a nerd or a jock and those two sides are always in conflict. Not to mention the other thousand quirks we have makes me think being an ISTP is the hardest personality type to "use".

We're a paradoxical breed, what can I say?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Look at the list of ISTP characers in fiction:

Solid Snake
The Man with No Name
Roland Deschain
Link
Wolverine
Sam Fischer
Jason Bourne
Jack Bauer
James Bond (maybe ESTP, though I feel it is a front for his operations)
Butch Coolidge
Han Solo
Boba Fett
Whoever Bruce Lee is playing
Etc.

All characters that say little, do much. Ti persuades them to analyze systems, which is fuelled by Se, the ability to accurately accumulate information from sensory perceptions. Throw in tertiary Ni to develop some independent truths and a near disregard for those in their environment and you're guaranteed an oddly capable being of existence that is likely to gain real-world and on-screen interest.

Han solo reminds me of an ESTp, James bond has so many characters it really depends which one you are talking about Daniel Creig is stereotypically an ISTp. Sam fisher is an IXTJ I always thought he was more INTJ.

W

WALMART

Han solo reminds me of an ESTp, James bond has so many characters it really depends which one you are talking about Daniel Creig is stereotypically an ISTp. Sam fisher is an IXTJ I always thought he was more INTJ.

They can have Sam Fisher :p

Han Solo... I don't know, I don't claim to be a type expert, but out of six sites I've been to not one person has typed him anything other than ISTP. I shall keep him.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

ISTPs are badasses, we are not always the serious type.

Sam fischer is no where near an INTJ. Something about his physical expertise, but then again maybe its just because I am a badass playing that game and projecting my abilities on to him. My fingers got SKILLLZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!! :devil:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
ISTPs are badasses, we are not always the serious type.

Sam fischer is no where near an INTJ. Something about his physical expertise, but then again maybe its just because I am a badass playing that game and projecting my abilities on to him. My fingers got SKILLLZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!! :devil:

I actually don't always think all IStps are bad asses but they are for the most part serious people. I see Sam fisher as someone who follows rules very strictly like a CIA agent or police man, he could be any type though since he's a character in a game and not someone IRL.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually don't always think all IStps are bad asses but they are for the most part serious people. I see Sam fisher as someone who follows rules very strictly like a CIA agent or police man, he could be any type though since he's a character in a game and not someone IRL.

ehhh...I like to joke around and have fun, not a very serious person at all. Some people learn to live life and get things done that need to get done without being all "serious" :shrug:

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
ISTPs are intensely focused when they are in "operation" mode, so perhaps that is where the "serious" aspect comes into play. And we don't have a tendency to smile or laugh a lot either. But I suppose that's mostly because it is a waste of energy.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTPs are intensely focused when they are in "operation" mode, so perhaps that is where the "serious" aspect comes into play. And we don't have a tendency to smile or laugh a lot either. But I suppose that's mostly because it is a waste of energy.

:shrug: I am not so one sided

jixmixfix

Permabanned
ehhh...I like to joke around and have fun, not a very serious person at all. Some people learn to live life and get things done that need to get done without being all "serious" :shrug:

Stereotypically ISTPs and ENFJs are serious doesn't mean they will never joke and have fun and all that. ISTJs are much more jolly or merry I find similar to ENFPs.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I'm both. For the most part, I don't take most things seriously. Including myself. But I do know some ISTPs that are quite "grumpy" and "moody". The only time I'm like that is when I am not satisfied in my surroundings or around ppl I don't like.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And we don't have a tendency to smile or laugh a lot either. But I suppose that's mostly because it is a waste of energy.
uhhh speak for yourself, bro. :)

I mean, unless you just mean "not as much as an ExFP".

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP says WTF? :shock:

I thought we were the most confusing...