• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Is this "normal?"

DarkCatalyst

MBTI Type
ISTP
From The Personality Page "Although the ISTP does not usually have a well-developed Feeling side, they frequently do have intense feelings for people. They can feel overpowering love for their mates, although they are likely not to express their emotions, or to express them inadequately or inappropriately if they do venture towards expression. However, unlike many of the other personality types, ISTPs feel strong affections one day at a time. One day, they may feel completely, intensely in love with their mate, and the next day they may be totally disinterested, or perhaps even ready to move on. This "live for the moment" type of approach is different from how most other types experience their feelings, and is difficult for many to understand. Consequently, the ISTP may be called "fickle" or "cold". In fact, they are not really fickle, and certainly not cold. They simply experience their lives on a moment by moment basis, and go along with it's natural flow."

Any other ISTP's here who feel this way towards people? Is this normal? I always felt there was something wrong with me because my feelings would flip like this. For example, I moved away from home about a year and a half ago. I was upset about leaving everyone behind the day before I left and that's about it. I really don't miss them now. I think about them and still consider them friends but it doesn't upset me that I can only see them about once a year. Same deal with the friends I've made since I moved away from home.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm glad that I found out about the MBTI and this forum. For the longest time I thought there was something wrong with me but after testing as an ISTP and reading the profiles maybe I've just been denying my own nature?

DC

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Any other ISTP's here who feel this way towards people? Is this normal? I always felt there was something wrong with me because my feelings would flip like this. For example, I moved away from home about a year and a half ago. I was upset about leaving everyone behind the day before I left and that's about it. I really don't miss them now. I think about them and still consider them friends but it doesn't upset me that I can only see them about once a year. Same deal with the friends I've made since I moved away from home.

Sounds "normal" to me, I once went away on a trip for 2 months, I didn't miss anyone until the day before I was going to see them again.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I sort of have the same thing going.

I miss people much more if I know I *can't* get a hold of them if I wanted them. The absence of option kills me. If I have the option, then I go for a long time without using it; I just want to know I have it.

Otherwise I can go for weeks or even a few months without talking to my best friends. There are many people I consider good friends who I haven't talked to for months or years, yet nothing would have changed if we got together again.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I do that. My feelings towards people flip rapidly and dramatically based on little things they do, or even situational factors. Usually it returns before long (within a few days) to the norm, though.

I do miss people intensely when I am reminded of it, but it's fairly easy to distract myself by keeping busy and then I don't spend time thinking about it, and therefore don't miss them.