• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] The Best Tools

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Title says it all. What's the best, most useful tool you have used?

For me it's a 39 piece screwdriver-adapter set that my parents gave me as a present when I was just a teenager. It has hexes, sockets, screwdrivers, and more, and the little organizer keeps everything neat and convenient and gives you a place to put removed screws and such. It's also decent quality, not some flimsy gonna-break-in-a-year type stuff. It's the first thing to come out of the box for most projects.

img20120712105145.jpg

So how about you? Is it your leatherman? Or maybe just an old fashioned pocket knife? That old-school forged-steel pair of pliers that's been passed down for three generations? Some high-tech piece of gadgetry? Or maybe your chainsaw?

I've never found much use out of Leatherman-style plier multitools. The screwdrivers in them are practically useless. The pliers and cutters usually work OK, but are less comfortable to use than a normal pair of pliers/cutters. They also break very easily-- I've broken two and I barely use them.

Similarly, I find that Swiss Army knives are one tool that I rarely use and never enjoy using. When I need a knife, I need a real knife, not some flimsy garbage on the side of a cheese box. It does a dozen things poorly.

wolfy

awsm
Insulation tape. I've always been proud when I fixed something with insulation tape.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Insulation tape. I've always been proud when I fixed something with insulation tape.

Hmm there is probably a cultural difference here. When I hear insulation tape I think of the shiny metal bendy stuff, but you can't fix too many things with that. Are you talking about Duct tape?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not an SP.. but, I always always carry a sharp pocket knife. Yes, swiss army knives suck for about everything they are meant to do. I love my drill press, probably it's the most useful powertool ever. I love it enough that I've justified keeping it around even though I live in a small studio apartment. And I'm so very sad that I do not own a bandsaw anymore, I was genuinely in love with my 14" Delta.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A knife, I have one on me at all times.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to keep a Spyderco Centofante with me at most times.

Nice, I like Spydercos. I keep all stainless Spydero Delica when I'm not working. I used to carry less conspicuous Spydero Crickets, but I kept loosing them as they fell out of my pocket. The Delica makes a thunk when it does that.. so it's still with me.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
My dad. :smile: Anytime I need help with something he's the one I call. He's my electrician, plumber, carpenter, and mechanic! :newwink:

gromit

likes this

My dad would joke that you only need two things: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop.

I like pliers a lot, esp my needle nose. I have some teeny-tiny ones as well. For jewelry. Use the most: pliers, hammer, screw drivrs and power drill. I don't know if it counts as tools but my kitchen knives and cast iron skillet set are so life-enhancing.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My dad would joke that you only need two things: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop.

I like pliers a lot, esp my needle nose. I have some teeny-tiny ones as well. For jewelry. Use the most: pliers, hammer, screw drivrs and power drill. I don't know if it counts as tools but my kitchen knives and cast iron skillet set are so life-enhancing.

They totally count. I need to shout out to my cast iron ware.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was going to say that my computer ends up being used as a tool frequently... Google is great when trying to find instructions on anything.... Sadly, my kitchenware isn't getting the attention it deserves as of late... :(

MXZCCT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
My two bare hands.
They can do wonders.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
this could turn into me talking about every tool i own.

but here's *just* 8, based on an extremely informal matrix of how often i use/general utility/sex appeal (no order):

- head lamp

i've spent a lot of time in crawlspaces lately, so maybe that's why my $15 energizer headlamp is coming to mind first. i carry a second lamp in my bag everywhere i go to be used as a bicycle head lamp or rear light (has red LEDs too).

i realize there are much better lamps out there, but this one has worked. really does get a lot of use, also while cleaning.

- crowbars

i just have a thing for crowbars, maybe i just like curves. most commonly used are those blue flat vaughn superbars. they really are better than the cheap ones that look the same, better spring steel, better shape.

- Knipex plier wrench 7.25 inch for when you don't want to carry a full set of wrenches, small and light.

just got these as a gift to myself (along with a snap on/bahco 8" wide mouth adjustable wrench). takes getting used to but beats standard adjustable wrenches, not just hype. "ratcheting" action is quick. narrow jaws, hardened steel. i expect copies of these to be on store shelves soon, but the germans make a damn nice tool which i bet will remain better than the rest.

ps: the snap on/bahco wrench is nice but in lieu of the real swedish bahco think i should have gotten the irega (spain) ones. channellock imports and rebrands this in the US as the 'wideazz' or something silly to appeal to overweight plumbers.

drills/impact drivers
i have both a 12volt set from hitachi, which at this point isn't the fanciest out there but i still think has some of the best ergonomics and comes with a strong battery, and an 18v set from makita which also feels excellent.

they get used for drilling and screws, but also on bolts too. wish i had a hammer drill.

- reciprocating saw and folding saw

saves me much pain and agony, i got my heavy duty milwaukee out of the trash. a plastic bag had gotten sucked into the electric motor and someone was too lazy to remove the housing and get it out. 15 minutes later i had a $100 tool with a nice carrying case.

bought a set of blades from lenox, along with their folding hand saw which takes recip. blades. i carry that saw with a drywall, metal, wood, and hacksaw blade in my main tool bag everywhere.

- ratchets: favorite two are snap on long handled flex head 3/8" and a cheap harbor freight roto-head 1/4" that came with a terrible rubber handle. i pulled that off and melted on a tri-lobe acetate handle off an old stanley screwdriver. now my favorite ratchet for small engine and bicycles.

also, my flex head ratcheting end wrenches (gearwrench) are extremely useful and save me much time and effort on anything mechanical.

- leaf blower.

sweeping is slow. instead of vacuuming my car i just open all the doors and leaf blow it. haha, not as thorough, but fast enough i actually do it.

homemade wood mallet

i wanted a mallet for chisels and knocking wood parts together, so i got my chainsaw and cut one out of of a fallen black locust tree. belt sander and router was involved...it's not a work of art, but i cut the thing out of a tree, so i have to like it.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
and how could i forget ratchet straps, shop vacs, my 3m full face gasmask with P100 filters, magnetic part trays, vise grips (long nose), bent tip pliers, diagonal cutters, pretty much any axe, abrasive disk drill attachments, tweezers, electrical testers which keep me from killing myself, step-bit drills for metal work, rechargable led work lights, pencil tip propane/mapp gas torches and knee pads.

i love knee pads.

and gloves.

and hand winches. bench vises. 2.5 pound hammers. bar clamps. sharp knives. ratcheting screwdrivers.

ok i'm done.