• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP Subtypes

Which one are you?

• Total voters

KDude

I voted Nerd.

The nerdiest thing I ever did was in little league basketball.. the coach asked us to pick a name for the team. I can do jock things, but the actual "jocks" were like "The Lakers!", the "Celtics!" I was obsessed with my Colecovision at the time. So I picked the "Colecos". :doh:

Crafter

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've been all five so i'm actually more of a jack of all trades.
Used to be a heavy basketball jock in high school, then turned nerd in my twenties and now work with computers for a living.

Last edited:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been all five so i'm actually more of a jack of all trades.
Use to be a heavy basketball jock in high school, then turned nerd in my twenties and now work with computers for a living.

Hey I remember you from P Cafe on a Bruce Lee thread started by the Great One (lol he converted to here too!) That place sucked anyway. Too many rules. Anyway it's great to have another ISTP perspective! And obviously Bruce Lee was a very intuitive ISTP, more intutive that lots of people of intuitive types!

Last edited:

Crafter

MBTI Type
ISTP
True, same one. Never really figured why both of you got banned from that place. There is too much censorship over there.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not an ISTP, but of the ISTPs I've known, mechanic seems to be the most common subtype. I'd associate jock more with ESTPs than ISTPs, and nerd with INTPs. Bum and daredevil are fitting, but less so than mechanic.

KDude

Out of 7 billion people on the planet, I'm sure a great number are ISTPs, and barely a fraction are mechanics.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Out of 7 billion people on the planet, I'm sure a great number are ISTPs, and barely a fraction are mechanics.

Which do you think would be the most common subtype?

KDude

Well, I guess there's that too.

I guess it applies to anyone. In a way though, I'd almost say it applies to many ISTPs specifically. I bet a lot are average Joes and Janes, but too rebellious/individualistic to be like ISTJs, not imaginative or inventive enough for NT, not engaged enough with people to be extroverts or Fs. The daredevil mechanic is the shit happening in between a lot of average shit.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Descriptions of Ti and Se subtypes of ISTPs: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...Meged-Ovcharov

You have to read under ISTj/LSI because that's their Ti-Se type.
There are extended descriptions in commentary to that article, however, you have to be signed in to that forum to see them.

KDude

"LSI becomes obsessional in petty naggings, scoffs at others, going into a situation, damages everything and terrorizes everybody."

lmao...

Socionics is botched.. for one reason. It was created by Ne-Ti types who don't know shit about Se. They've kind of villainized it.

A lot of the qualities of Jung's Se types gets transferred to Si in socionics (the notion of pleasure, rather than applied force).

KDude

I can be like LSI, but it's been years since I've been like that. I'm a lot more settled in to being relaxed like the SLI, but I can't deny the asshole streak. I always chalked it up as just a phase. I had to be on the defensive a lot growing up, so eventually I decided to be offensive. I kind of lost it for awhile. A lot of my friends thought I was going to get killed, because I was too cocky for my own good. And generally speaking, I'm an impatient person at the very least. It sounds like LSI-Se.

In socionics, Se for SLIs is in the "id block".. it's an unconscious side.
"SLIs try to avoid making demands on others and themselves and prefer to motivate people by offering them enjoyable rewards rather than pressuring them to act. They are impervious to forceful attempts by others to make them do things and become very stubborn when pressured. However, when under extreme stress or in a hostile situation, SLIs can become very aggressive and forceful for periods― sometimes with malicious intent. This function is the strongest (and malevolent) part of the SLIs' subconscious."

I could chalk it up to this, I guess. I still think the definitions are iffy though. It's like the MBTI definitions have been split up, where Si and Se in socionics have a little bit of each other in them.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mechanic fits the best out of those. My job title is Application Developer Consultant so Nerd fits pretty good as well. I am a little out of practice, but does being a black belt make me anytype of jock? I am a bum as well on my spare time. Im not a daredevil, i just like to push myself so i can do stupid crap safely.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm deciding to resurrect this thread again, as I truly find ISTP to be the most entertaining of all the personality types. :)

Anyway, my favorite ISTP of all time is:

By the way, I think this particular ISTP would also be an enneagram 5w6 sp/so, and would fit well into the "nerd" subtype.