• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Faking it as an SP?

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
Its easy to fake something that you dont have a definition for. I am sure most people know ISTPs in real life, know how they act, know there mannerisms, judged who they are, they just havnt labeled them. I am confused as to why you need to have a clearly defined label to actually know something. Maybe they are just faking being like certain people they have come into contact with.

Yes this is the case. However, instead of the thread title, the title should be along the lines of, "Person Imitating My Behavior".

Which is perfectly common and nothing outstanding, whatsoever.

"imitation is the best form of flattery"

It is also one of the most common forms.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes this is the case. However, instead of the thread title, the title should be along the lines of, "Person Imitating My Behavior".

Thats what I read in the context of everything. I just read SP as a way to quickly and easily describe to a bunch of people who know MBTI and SP.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

"imitation is the best form of flattery"

It is also one of the most common forms.

Unless its used to fit in because they feel like an outcast. It may start out as flattery, until they open there eyes and become themselves, possibly hating the other in turn for making them feel like an outcast in the first place.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
Unless its used to fit in because they feel like an outcast. It may start out as flattery, until they open there eyes and become themselves, possibly hating the other in turn for making them feel like an outcast in the first place.

Hm.

Since you seem to argue whether the quote is true or not in regard to it being the best form of flattery and not the perception that it is one of the most common. I'm going to assume that you then agree with me that it is a common form of flattery. Including your prior post here:

Thats what I read in the context of everything.

we can then in essence conclude this thread can be paraphrased as,

"Wahhh Someone is imitating me, woe is me why do they do this?"

Thanks I'm glad we can agree.

As to whether it is the best form of flattery or not, I don't care if it is or is not.

p.s. I always thought of this forum as a common place one puts their emotional / social grievances because it is after all a "psychological" forum. But geeze this is the pinnacle.

I mean I have had the same issue about people copying me or people copying others they inspire to be like. It's a common thing. But to go on a forum and complain about it. That's something.

(and yes you can say I'm complaining about someone complaining but since I'm the one who pointed it out it cannot be used against me :p)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is so weird. I wish I could give more details of her but I never know what's real and what is acting. She could be a weird ISFP I guess?
She always seems happy. Weirdly so. She lives in a pink fluffy world with a perfect husband and perfect daughter and fairydust everywhere and is sickeningly nice to everyone. But it doesn't seem real nice. It's over nice. It's fucking weird and I don't trust her.

I think maybe shes an NF. I can't see any other type being so fluffy. Or am I missing something?

Ew, this sounds like a BPD ISFJ.
I should likely continue reading the thread but I couldn't help myself..

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whatever she is she sounds really insecure. Some people need to brag about what they do (even when they aren't good at it) to get that rush of attention from listeners.

I worked with a girl who said she was a drummer, a chef, you name it-she did it. Eventually, with time their bullshit gets called and they lose credibility.

KDude

Possibly, I know I fit in very well with percieving and judging. I am just not outright forceful with my judgements, they are more personal and not so much black and white.

Yeah, I withhold judgements often. I mean, I get critical, but even then, that stuff is changable. I think (S)J attitudes generally have a static view of how things should be. I guess stereotypically that gets associated with traditions or order, but I don't think it's that simple. Maybe some could fall back on that, but often I think it's more quirky and personal. Either way, I think their worldviews are more defined. Me, I don't really expect that much or have a set way of seeing things (not too much at least).

jewelluckystar05

MBTI Type
ESTP
I've known an xsfp or two in the sense of being too nice too soon when it comes to adapting to others interests which is sad since even though their gulibleness was often their downfall, their intentions of trying to treat everybody fairly were good

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A lot of times when I type as ISTP people tell me I'm a fake. I guess it can be kinda tricky being all dynamic and diverse like a classic SP, rather than reason and rationality for NT.

And you know one funny little thing I've noticed - why is it that a lot of people who are INT types look more like ISTJ than ISTP? I look more like ISTP though... myabe it's because I really am an SP. What a treat that would be!

I could smash that party cake in every haters face!

R

Riva

I've noticed that (i notice great many things) that sps are good/better than other types in acting/mimicing/impersonating others irl which makes them good actors and entertaining. This is probably assisted by Se's ability pick things up/notice the smallest details. However if they put more effort into it/spend more time their Ni would start making connections between the behaviour/apparent-traits/personality of the person they are impersonating and their 'thinking pattern'. Yes they would get into the head of the other and will be abled to 'think like the other person'. However this takes time and prolonged immitation will be an issue since it would create conflicts with their own thinking pattern.

R

Riva

Also I believe heath ledger whom I believe is an iStP (though i must confess that I don't know too much about him to be absolutely confident about his type) playing the joker in batman was a perfect example for what i've written above. He locked himself in a room for one month to create the character he created (entp). His acting was so good there wasn't a single moment he slipped back to himself which makes me think he also got into the head of the joker. Then again all dedicated actors probably have the ability to do this and not all of them are sps.

S

Society

At home her room is immaculate and tidy, her clothes are perfectly ordered, her hair make up and nails are always perfectly done. None of this seems SP to me. And she moans all the time about her neck, her ankle, not liking her job etc etc. While trying to be all nicey nice.

the bolded bounced right out for me - could she be an NJ? in which case, it's entirely normal for her inferior/tertiery Se to start growing later on in life, and so she really is, in a sense, an amature SP. in that case, she isn't "faking it", she's making effort to grow as a person.
regardless, people outside of the typology bubble don't naturally confines themselves into the MBTI categories, so when they choose what they want to learn, what new things they want to try out & experiment with, what new interest they want to seek out and what new skills they want to tap and see if they have it in them, it's not going to be limited to their type perscription.

regarding why would anyone want to be like an SP or adopt SP characteristics, there are many reasons. i can give you my own example, that for awhile in my life i was (and to some extent still am) very much mesmerized by DIY lifestyle, tried some of it without ever really feeling comfortable in my own skin doing it, but enjoyed it nonetheless, possibly more than people for whom it comes naturally, precisely because its more of a challenge. i can't imagine telling myself "no, that's an SP thing". likewise, as a parent i tapped many undeveloped capacities which are usually associated with SFJs.

type tells you what tendencies comes naturally, it doesn't set the roof on what ways you can grow.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
the bolded bounced right out for me - could she be an NJ? in which case, it's entirely normal for her inferior/tertiery Se to start growing later on in life, and so she really is, in a sense, an amature SP. in that case, she isn't "faking it", she's making effort to grow as a person.
regardless, people outside of the typology bubble don't naturally confines themselves into the MBTI categories, so when they choose what they want to learn, what new things they want to try out & experiment with, what new interest they want to seek out and what new skills they want to tap and see if they have it in them, it's not going to be limited to their type perscription.

regarding why would anyone want to be like an SP or adopt SP characteristics, there are many reasons. i can give you my own example, that for awhile in my life i was (and to some extent still am) very much mesmerized by DIY lifestyle, tried some of it without ever really feeling comfortable in my own skin doing it, but enjoyed it nonetheless, possibly more than people for whom it comes naturally, precisely because its more of a challenge. i can't imagine telling myself "no, that's an SP thing". likewise, as a parent i tapped many undeveloped capacities which are usually associated with SFJs.

type tells you what tendencies comes naturally, it doesn't set the roof on what ways you can grow.

You haven't DIY until you washed your clothes in the bathtub with a two by four to stir the water, son.

:D

I'm joking, but that's the kind of stuff I do in my day to day life (well not so much the bathtub thing anymore, I'm movin' on up). Sometimes I think I'm not creative. Then I look at the way I've managed my way through life to get what I want.

The results may not be a fantasy world in which tiny elves inhabit some mushroom castle in space, but it's like I have visions and I make them happen.

I really think my Se/Ni are close together for that reason. I have Ni visions, and I make them tangible with Se. They might not be world-scale, but it serves what my Fi thinks is important.

If the woman is question is an NJ, don't you think maybe ENFJ or ENTJ then, though? More Se, and more Je to even care about stuff like perfect home and perfect hair and nails. I have a hard time believing that INxJs really prioritize that sort of thing, or if they pretended to, cracks would easily show.

I am from the school that does not believe all Js are created equally. I tend to associate obsession with tangible order mostly with SJs and perhaps Te/Se; my ENFJ bff from high school has always had a really dramatic sense of style, and knew exactly what she wanted to do with her life in terms of career at 23 (I am still not sure), and owned her own business before 30, but she's a complete slob.

S

Society

You haven't DIY until you washed your clothes in the bathtub with a two by four to stir the water, son.

:D
i've actually tried that - once. i did not get the impression i did it well... :p

If the woman is question is an NJ, don't you think maybe ENFJ or ENTJ then, though? More Se, and more Je to even care about stuff like perfect home and perfect hair and nails.
possible - i didn't catch up on the thread to check if their was any more info to type her by.

I have a hard time believing that INxJs really prioritize that sort of thing, or if they pretended to, cracks would easily show.

cracks do show and yet many seem to still try: essentially they get stressed by disorder and are very aware of it, but aren't preoccupied or interested enough to maintaining it, so its a constant loop back and forth - they need it but are rarely organized enough for their own standards. a good coping strategy i noticed a lot of them use is focus on certain aspects or areas which are orderly - something to focus on and give them some peace of mind in the chaos around.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i've actually tried that - once. i did not get the impression i did it well... :p

possible - i didn't catch up on the thread to check if their was any more info to type her by.

cracks do show and yet many seem to still try: essentially they get stressed by disorder and are very aware of it, but aren't preoccupied or interested enough to maintaining it, so its a constant loop back and forth - they need it but are rarely organized enough for their own standards. a good coping strategy i noticed a lot of them use is focus on certain aspects or areas which are orderly - something to focus on and give them some peace of mind in the chaos around.

I think the thing with NJs that you have to remember is that they have long-term vision or internal inspiration rather than Si telling them "things must be this way for me to be comfortable." Not that all SJs are Mr. Clean, but you know those people who act like cleaning and organizing is fun or something, like it's their hobby? I don't think those people are NJs.

When I say my friend is a "slob" I don't mean she's gross or anything, I just mean she's the sort of person who is probably best with having a maid or something; but she's almost always dressed well, and she is definitely an Fe dom...she has incredible charisma, and she is highly social, and she is a self-typed ENFJ, as well as me agreeing, she's very much I think the epitome of Fe/Ni/Se. Fe ethics and charm, Ni long term vision, and Se style as her hobby basically, without any kind of Si or Te emphasis on the order of things.

My Ni seems more...incidental. Like I make off-hand comments like, when I was 16 I had a dream I was living right outside of Vegas...and when I lived with my ex, we lived right on the outskirts, on the more suburban West side. Of Vegas. And I didn't move there with any conscious intention. And I ended up being a dancer in Vegas, and of course when I was 18 I thought that was a fantastic idea though it didn't happen til my early 20s. But there was no conscious push to make it happen. All I knew is I needed to move West, and I would get there by hook or crook.

And then when I was with my ex, I knew I felt this emptiness or lack where I had chosen to skip college...so when we broke up, I kind of randomly ended up...in college. It was a spur of the moment decision. But then there I was, in college, and kind of on the periphery of my vision, I had known for years it's what I wanted to do, and I kind of ...meandered into it.

And I always said I'd go back to California, and fie on my ex for keeping me in Vegas (lol at blame game) and here I am in California, and not just in California, but living near the beach, and the week I arrived 3 years ago, I said "yep, I'm gonna live here." Again, sort of meandered into it, but with a more intense focus.

It's like I don't have these 10, 20, 30 year "visions" but it's almost like I vaguely know what I'm going to do and where I'm going to end up. Like once I said "wouldn't it be fun to live in hotels." And I've lived in hotels. I said "I want to live in a commune" and boy, I ended up living in something that bordered quite gingerly upon being a commune.

Sometimes I wish I had this nice sharp dom/aux Ni to have this nice planned out life, but the truth is I fucking hate things being planned out that detailed and if it is, I go mad, like I need spontaneity or surprises to feel alive.

I've just had to learn to stop inviting bad surprises in the name of "excitement." Ah, maturity, it comes slowly for the likes of me.

I don't know where I'm going with this anymore, it's late, but with Ni it's more of a planfull nature for the long-term or big picture or wide scale rather than an obsession with scrubbing the toilet.

If an NJ is obsessed with perfect nails, I would guess they have tertiary rather than inferior Se.

S

Society

you know those people who act like cleaning and organizing is fun or something, like it's their hobby? I don't think those people are NJs.

you are right in the sense that SJs are a lot more comfortable with maintaining habits, which gives them an advantage in the capacity to maintain organization.

however, i think Ni is a lot more fundamental to their way of thought than the visions attributed to it: my theory is that the reason Js pay more attention to Ni/Si (depending on which they have) IS because their mind seeks and prioritizes the most coherent form of information their mind can produce (while the mind of Ps seek maximum stimulation).

this need for coherent information structures goes on both internally (with the function preference) and externally (behaviorally). the later can manifest in many ways - in their schedule (knowing exactly where to be at what time), visually (removing clutter from their sight), organized system (knowing exactly what goes where), budget planning (knowing exactly where they stand throughout the year), and so on.

the core isn't that they feel the need to organize, enjoy it, or are necessarily good at it, but that they are distressed when things aren't organized. if they can't focus on an organized structure on the outside, they start to feel disorganized on the inside.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
When you consider ISFPs favour Fi, Se and Ni I suppose it would make sense for them to have an idealistic streak when it comes to "extreme" sports. Ti users I would suppose use more objective measures of performance "am I skillful?" whereas an Fi dom is going to approach the sport using how the feel as the primary criteria "am I having fun?".

Her interest in those activities may be more aesthetically based rather than the direct experience and execution itself. Myself I'm a terrible surfer but the whole aesthetic of it to me is beautiful and fascinating. I have many hobbies and suck at most of them, perhaps because I have many hobbies. The main thing to me is am I having fun and enjoying the experience.