• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Faking it as an SP?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's pretty common for someone to have SP envy. Heck, we've got several members on this very site who are "faking it as an SP." ;)

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds like a 2w3, probably ISFJ. I've known people like that...they have fundamental image/identity confusion. For whatever reason (to be loved?) they get so caught up trying to control the image of their personality that they project to the world that they eventually sever all remaining ties to their real personality and become lost in the morass...they create a simulacrum of themselves, essentially. That's why they seem fake but kind of genuine at the same time; fake because the personality they adopt is made-up (and this is usually easy for others to see intuitively...or sometimes even empirically, like in this specific case, since you can't fake physical skills), and genuine because they really do believe that they are their image.

Incidentally, I think it's these types of folks who eat that whole self-help scam shit up, because their psychological make-up (plus some catalyzing insecurity, of course) causes them to automatically sympathize with ideas like, "you can re-invent yourself," or "you are what you wear," or "if you act like a serious person who commands respect, then you will be."

[MENTION=4490]Orangey[/MENTION] you have got it exactly.. This is totally her. I wonder what drives someone to become someone else? I don't dislike her, I just dislike that I can't figure her out and there is something not quite right.

[MENTION=4358]Jeffster[/MENTION] yeah I guess everyone is jealous of the SPs haha.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The ultimate SP type is ISTP!

I can't blame how everybody wants to be just like us!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I fake it all the time, I am really an INFP in hiding :ninja:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=6643]Fluffywolf[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION] so Ms Fairydust isnt into me but the ENFP in the house follows me round like a dog and the ESFP I share a room with keeps flirting with me and flashing at me and running round in her undies.
So I've still got it ;-)

:hifive:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't even call that faking SP. There are athletic SJs, and I am not sure when ISFP became a definitively athletic type...so I'm thinking she's just a big talker, for whatever reason she seems to think this is a way of bonding with you. By lying?

I'd say she's an FJ for sure. I actually agree with Orangey that she's probably an ISFJ 2w3.

Not because she paints her nails or has an orderly apartment, but because she seems like the epitome of thoroughly neurotic and insane Si/Fe ("I will be so normal that I will be exceptional!")

And even 3w2 might make sense, as she sounds INCREDIBLY IMAGE DRIVEN...but the excessive sweetness probably is a 2 motive.

Ronaldo

MBTI Type
ISFP
I am doubting that I am sp now. I mean, I am not coordinated or athletic at all but I do enjoy going to he gym and playing football (soccer) even if I'm not the best at it. Is it about ability or preference? Because I am probably better at things like school subjects if I can be bothered, but I much prefer the sensory type things.

What's a sure way to tell?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am doubting that I am sp now. I mean, I am not coordinated or athletic at all but I do enjoy going to he gym and playing football (soccer) even if I'm not the best at it. Is it about ability or preference? Because I am probably better at things like school subjects if I can be bothered, but I much prefer the sensory type things.

There are elements of the SP temperament that make us more likely to be good at athletic activities (namely, the ability to concentrate purely on the immediate action without distraction of past or future anxiety) but by no means is athletic ability itself a judge of whether or not one is SP. I played soccer too but I'm by no means a star athlete and I'm the clumsiest mofo I know.

SP is a state of mind, not a specific set of talents.

Ronaldo

MBTI Type
ISFP
Thanks man. I need to be more secure about my type. I think the p makes me under isive

wolfy

awsm

It is about preference. Preferences tend to push people towards certain things which is where the ability talk comes from. Type is an abstract construct, choose the one that fits closest.

KDude

I don't even know if I have preferences for half of this stuff anymore. I used to do a lot of physical things, but mostly I just like sitting on my ass these days. Lol. I'm still somehow good at things though when it comes to it. I surprise myself sometimes.

KDude

Oh, I figured I'd add that nothing you said rules out ISFP. Just because she might complain of a hurt foot doesn't mean anything. To me, it's always been the Se dominants who have more of a "Go Go Go!!!" attitude. I used to skate with a friend like that, and he could never appreciate Se in the sense of enjoying the moment, in finding some comfort factor in things. It was always just about action and acquiring experience. He'd get bored easy if we skated in the same spot for example, and if people needed a breather, he just wanted his way and push everybody. I think ISPs find their own spin or pace, and master something that way. Some might be hyper aware of what's not working out, like if they're in pain or something. Or sometimes it's just mental discomfort. It's not SP to say "Argh, gotta push through this. No pain, no gain". I think it's more of an ESP's style to walk through fire, and proclaim how badass they are for it. While the ISP will piss on a fire first. Then walk through.

EntangledLight

MBTI Type
?
It is so weird. I wish I could give more details of her but I never know what's real and what is acting. She could be a weird ISFP I guess?
She always seems happy. Weirdly so. She lives in a pink fluffy world with a perfect husband and perfect daughter and fairydust everywhere and is sickeningly nice to everyone. But it doesn't seem real nice. It's over nice. It's fucking weird and I don't trust her.

I think maybe shes an NF. I can't see any other type being so fluffy. Or am I missing something?

she's very caught up in the "outer world", to the point that she has no identity? she's overly nice and fake? it's hard to get an accurate, legitimate read on her due to a whopping lack of "in-genuine-ness"? sounds like a very un-balanced Fe-dom.

especially if you find that she seems to keep her actual thoughts under an facade, and she "plays her cards close to her chest".

EntangledLight

MBTI Type
?
I think maybe shes an NF. I can't see any other type being so fluffy. Or am I missing something?

... eh, i think you're missing something. i'm an NF and i doubt anyone would call me "fluffy".

edit: a lot of the misinformation comes from behavioral studies that become so vague that it's easily possible for MBTI to no longer be measuring people's functions but their personas and how they'd like to see themselves--the problem with this is that a persona can be so strong the under lying mechanics are invisible to the user and to others (this would be an unhealthy person though).

but then again, i'd have to see what you meant by "fluffy".

take an ENFP--Ne/Si first and foremost. Fi... you may see it, or the person could very easily be a recluse (common misconception and interpretation of E and I, and "J" is non-existent in reality, another behavioral term that loses water when researched). but, the Fi will most likely be something that is held close to the person, you may see the results of judgments, but the standard used to reach those results will be "within". not to mention that an ENFP developing their Te (or just their "T" in general) will be the opposite of "fluffy".

my 2 cents. :p

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTJ is more S then an ISTP, ISTP are very much Ti. The ESxPs I know are more outgoing then I am and the ISTJs I know are more connected sensory to the moment. One INFP I know is actually more connected to the moment then I am in a certain Fi Si type of way. Though I can run circles around her when it comes to actually interacting with the environment as opposed to just feeling the enviornment in an SiFi way.

KDude

ISTJ is more S then an ISTP, ISTP are very much Ti. The ESxPs I know are more outgoing then I am and the ISTJs I know are more connected sensory to the moment. One INFP I know is actually more connected to the moment then I am in a certain Fi Si type of way. Though I can run circles around her when it comes to actually interacting with the environment as opposed to just feeling the enviornment in an SiFi way.

Interesting..

I think Myers has confused matters by placing Si doms as judgers and Ti as percievers. Jung doesn't do this exactly.

I see myself as a Perciever, but not ESTP. Not really ISTJ either, but I get it often on "tests". By all accounts, I don't take a J attitude. I think the only time I do is when I have to manage a bunch of chaotic shit at once.. Things out of my control, like bad drivers, for example. I might get road rage occassionally.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting..

I think Myers has confused matters by placing Si doms as judgers and Ti as percievers. Jung doesn't do this exactly.

I see myself as a Perciever, but not ESTP. Not really ISTJ either, but I get it often on "tests". By all accounts, I don't take a J attitude. I think the only time I do is when I have to manage a bunch of chaotic shit at once.. Things out of my control, like bad drivers, for example. I might get road rage occassionally.

Possibly, I know I fit in very well with percieving and judging. I am just not outright forceful with my judgements, they are more personal and not so much black and white. I dont understand IxxJs and why they do the things they do. There are alot of times we can act similiar, but for very different core reasons. I am alot like INFP in certain ways, but we are completely different in how we function and come to conclusions. Its kinda like 2+4=6 and 2x3=6. You are left with 2+4=2x3...so they are the same...right. Only if you look at the end result.

I dont know what chaotic is for me. I tend to detach and I do it as a way to not lose control and become part of the chaos.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
I lol'd

TC acts like this person knows what MBTI is. Granted if the person in question does know what MBTI is then sure they could be 'accused' of 'faking' it. Otherwise no, someone cannot fake a archetype they have no idea that exists.

If this is the case then that person is just one of those people who enjoys doing things they're not good at. There's a bunch of them get used to it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I lol'd

TC acts like this person knows what MBTI is. Granted if the person in question does know what MBTI is then sure they could be 'accused' of 'faking' it. Otherwise no, someone cannot fake a archetype they have no idea that exists.

If this is the case then that person is just one of those people who enjoys doing things they're not good at. There's a bunch of them get used to it.

Its easy to fake something that you dont have a definition for. I am sure most people know ISTPs in real life, know how they act, know there mannerisms, judged who they are, they just havnt labeled them. I am confused as to why you need to have a clearly defined label to actually know something. Maybe they are just faking being like certain people they have come into contact with. We dont become our MBTI personality just because all of a sudden we know and read about MBTI, so it is out there in the world and doesnt take any knowledge of MBTI to come up with mannerisms, etc. that would match a certain type.