• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's and delayed gratification

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm going to assume that the stereotype is that SP's would be terrible with practicing delayed gratification and patience. By delayed gratification, I mean like the kind where you REALLY want something but a delay is imposed on you by an outside source and it may be one that you don't logically understand or agree with. In those cases, what do you SP's do and how do you fair with this?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I as a potential ISTP get impatient very easily if something takes longer than it needs to because I want to do everything now and to constantly be having fun.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm going to assume that the stereotype is that SP's would be terrible with practicing delayed gratification and patience.

I doubt these traits are issues solely of SP's, but this ESTP will admit to having very little patience and not alot of desire to embrace delaying gratification of any kind. :cheese:

By delayed gratification, I mean like the kind where you REALLY want something but a delay is imposed on you by an outside source and it may be one that you don't logically understand or agree with. In those cases, what do you SP's do and how do you fair with this?

Like anyone else, we have to employ a sensible set of checks and balances against our desires.
Such skills are learned through life experience.
It might take SP's a few more rounds of mistakes to acquire such skills as compared to the other archetypes, but we are certainly capable of doing so.

In my case, it all comes down to me having a very balanced perspective on life.

Primary Check and Balance:
I put my family's needs before my own by default.

That's most likely the biggest check and balance of them all, and when used as the initial means of attenuating impulsive desires it is quite effective.

Once the initial urge to do something has been jack-slapped by a sense of familial responsibility, it is then necessary to compare the urge to the existing interests that one has already apportioned time and monetary resources to in order to pursue them over the long run.

Secondary Check and Balance:
Are you willing to give up the time and money necessary to pursue "X" in order to take on "Y?"

What must you give up and for how long to accomodate this new, shiny, sparkly wonderful thing you are contemplating taking on?

That's the final judgement right there.

Whatever is chosen is part of your life, whether the new object/interest of desire - or an existing favorite.

Conclusion:
Look at that! :holy:

An impulse control afflicted ESTP/7w8 was able to implement a logical set of checks and balances in two quick steps! :shocking:

:yim_rolling_on_the_

-Alex

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have trouble with delayed gratification if I really want something. I also tend to want to follow my whims of what I feel like doing or the kind of food I feel like eating (though I tend to keep some kind of systematic hold on nutrition). I also have trouble being sedentary all day unless Im tired or don't feel well. I need to be walked like a dog, lol. Speaking of which I walk pretty fast, like a speed walker and get impatient sometimes with slower moving people.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I doubt these traits are issues solely of SP's, but this ESTP will admit to having very little patience and not alot of desire to embrace delaying gratification of any kind. :cheese:

Like anyone else, we have to employ a sensible set of checks and balances against our desires.
Such skills are learned through life experience.
It might take SP's a few more rounds of mistakes to acquire such skills as compared to the other archetypes, but we are certainly capable of doing so.

In my case, it all comes down to me having a very balanced perspective on life.

Primary Check and Balance:
I put my family's needs before my own by default.

That's most likely the biggest check and balance of them all, and when used as the initial means of attenuating impulsive desires it is quite effective.

Once the initial urge to do something has been jack-slapped by a sense of familial responsibility, it is then necessary to compare the urge to the existing interests that one has already apportioned time and monetary resources to in order to pursue them over the long run.

Secondary Check and Balance:
Are you willing to give up the time and money necessary to pursue "X" in order to take on "Y?"

What must you give up and for how long to accomodate this new, shiny, sparkly wonderful thing you are contemplating taking on?

That's the final judgement right there.

Whatever is chosen is part of your life, whether the new object/interest of desire - or an existing favorite.

Conclusion:
Look at that! :holy:

An impulse control afflicted ESTP/7w8 was able to implement a logical set of checks and balances in two quick steps! :shocking:

:yim_rolling_on_the_

-Alex

Very interesting to see how your mind works through this process!!! thank you for sharing.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm going to assume that the stereotype is that SP's would be terrible with practicing delayed gratification and patience. By delayed gratification, I mean like the kind where you REALLY want something but a delay is imposed on you by an outside source and it may be one that you don't logically understand or agree with. In those cases, what do you SP's do and how do you fair with this?

So an outside source is preventing me from doing/getting what I want? If it's something I greatly desire, I will circumvent roadblocks. If that doesn't work...depending upon how much I wanted what I couldn't get, I would either keep one eye out for change in the situation or lose interest as I've moved on to something else.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As a potential ESxP, I can practice DG, but I don't like to.

Why? The longer the hike to the cake table, the greater the likelihood that you'll be eaten by a cougar on the way, or someone will eat it, or the cake will rot (obsolete).

For certainty of attaining the goal, shorter paths are more reasonable, and easier to bounce back from, all else equal.

I don't like investing on remote uncertainty with short-run expenses, much less a lack of return. Rather, it almost makes more sense to cash in on a certain today.

Think of all those suckers who think they'll retire rich and happy by saving all their discreet income in bank savings accounts.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
SP's suck with delayed gratification and especially the SE doms because their hardest function to develop is Ni

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Delayed gratification sounds like an oxymoron... I want things, results, right now, having things delayed just makes it really annoying. Even though I know things are going to happen a certain way, I feel really annoyed until it does actually happen.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Nope, can't do delayed gratification. I will weasel my way out of obligations if I have to. That's all it ever inspires me to do.

I guess that's why the whole work-then-reward tactic never worked for me when it came to studying or getting shit done.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope, can't do delayed gratification. I will weasel my way out of obligations if I have to. That's all it ever inspires me to do.

I guess that's why the whole work-then-reward tactic never worked for me when it came to studying or getting shit done.

One of my first impressions of you when I first came to the forum was that you enjoyed studying.

SP's suck with delayed gratification and especially the SE doms because their hardest function to develop is Ni

Is Ni somehow related to delayed gratification?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
One of my first impressions of you when I first came to the forum was that you enjoyed studying.

I do, but I have to feel like it's a reward to study in and of itself, and that only happens if I find the subject interesting. For non-interesting subjects, I have to just will-power my way through. I can't use that tactic where I promise myself a reward after I get X completed, because I really dislike delayed gratification. I just won't do X and I'll go straight for the reward first.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=4398]Giggly[/MENTION]

If an SP develops their Ni it gives them the ability to focus on the future as well, and not be completely absorbed in the present.

Lanton88

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6

If an SP develops their Ni it gives them the ability to focus on the future as well, and not be completely absorbed in the present.

I see you're ENTP again..its good to have you back on the darkside ;)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That's a weird definition - I've always considered delayed gratification to be restraining yourself for the sake of increased future pleasure - if it's an external force doing it, how does self-discipline or patience come into play at all?

If we're going by your definition I'll do something to fix the situation if I can, otherwise I'll deal and try not to worry too much about it. I have no issues with that at all - what else would you do, have a mental breakdown and start yelling at people or something?

If we're talking deprive-yourself-now-for-future-gains I do have a hard time with that. It helps if I can make the present part more tolerable (like finding tasty food that's also healthy) and if the future thing is either pretty soon (like days, maybe weeks) and/or really really good compared to what you're sacrificing (like maybe university education, since it's hard work but really not that bad for the benefit).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I think I was in a major Fi/Ni loop in my early-to-mid twenties. When I was 18 or 20, I'm pretty sure I thought I was immortal - I flipped cars, did 360's in the middle of the freeway, drove 100 mph all the way to the beach, I even had the audacity to hit men twice my size in my late teens.

All of a sudden when I was about 23, I realized OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE SOMEDAY. I also had this weird existential crisis where I became temporarily convinced that nothing had any meaning. I even developed a severe anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and agoraphobia.

Now I'm back to relatively being my brave old self, and think existentialism is stupid, but I have a much firmer grasp on things like future consequences and my own aging and mortality.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's a weird definition - I've always considered delayed gratification to be restraining yourself for the sake of increased future pleasure - if it's an external force doing it, how does self-discipline or patience come into play at all?

I remember learning this when I was about five. That I ate my chocolate milk and graham crackers too fast, but the kids who ate more slowly still had theirs.

It didn't always help, but I remember vividly that's how I learned this concept.

If we're talking deprive-yourself-now-for-future-gains I do have a hard time with that. It helps if I can make the present part more tolerable (like finding tasty food that's also healthy) and if the future thing is either pretty soon (like days, maybe weeks) and/or really really good compared to what you're sacrificing (like maybe university education, since it's hard work but really not that bad for the benefit).

Yeah, same. I can still get freaked out planning things too far in advance though.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I see you're ENTP again..its good to have you back on the darkside ;)

lol, I try on every forum to change my type to ENFP once more, but the Ti users just keep dragging me back in and saying that I use Ti

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think I was in a major Fi/Ni loop in my early-to-mid twenties. When I was 18 or 20, I'm pretty sure I thought I was immortal - I flipped cars, did 360's in the middle of the freeway, drove 100 mph all the way to the beach, I even had the audacity to hit men twice my size in my late teens.

All of a sudden when I was about 23, I realized OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE SOMEDAY. I also had this weird existential crisis where I became temporarily convinced that nothing had any meaning. I even developed a severe anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and agoraphobia.

Now I'm back to relatively being my brave old self, and think existentialism is stupid, but I have a much firmer grasp on things like future consequences and my own aging and mortality.

lol, it's good to know that you are better now.