• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Ask an ISFP

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
These threads have been made for a couple of types already, so I thought it appropriate for one to be made about ISFPs. Any relevant posts are welcome. Any other ISFPs are welcome to share their insight, of course.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you enjoy reading? If so, what types of stuff?

When things aren't harmonious in a sensory way does it easily annoy you? For example, a note is sung off key, the colors don't quite match, there is a stain on the carpet, etc.

Did you initially self-type as ISFP or was it a bit of trial and error until you arrived at ISFP? I ask because I've read that alot of SP types will mistype as N's since the S questions seem more SJ than SP oriented.

More questions to come later.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I love reading, though I can go perhaps months without having done much reading at all. I mostly enjoy fiction, though when I was a child I was obsessed with field guides for some reason.

Here's my profile on a site I use to keep track of what I've read and what I think about it.
http://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

With regards to how I came to identify as ISFP- it wasn't really any sense of identifying strongly with the type, it was just the one that seemed to fit me the most, even down to some small idiosyncracies. I don't really notice sensory things too easily...I just enjoy them immensely when I'm participating in an activity that I enjoy, such as birdwatching or eating. For the longest time, I was convinced that I was an IxTP. Singing off key does annoy the living hell out of me...

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like reading very much. I read mostly fan fic online (that* kind of fan fic)

I wouldn't say things like that annoy me. But I feel better if I do what I can to understand what the person who did what I am seeing/hearing is telling me. Get a better idea of who they are.

I don't know about the questions on the tests. Many of them sound funny but then again I am taking the free test. Perhaps the professional one is much different.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is it like to have tertiary Ni?

How do you find yourself using it, and what kinds of things do you use it for?

And how does your Ni support your Fi?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
These threads have been made for a couple of types already, so I thought it appropriate for one to be made about ISFPs. Any relevant posts are welcome. Any other ISFPs are welcome to share their insight, of course.

Actually, there's already been one for ISFPs. Maybe more than one, but at least one that I can think of. ;) I'm not the thread police though, I don't care if there's multiple of the same topic.

When things aren't harmonious in a sensory way does it easily annoy you? For example, a note is sung off key, the colors don't quite match, there is a stain on the carpet, etc.

Did you initially self-type as ISFP or was it a bit of trial and error until you arrived at ISFP? I ask because I've read that alot of SP types will mistype as N's since the S questions seem more SJ than SP oriented.

Most of my reading is on the internet these days, though I do read some books occasionally. I am actually nearing the end of "Gifts Differing" by Isabel Myers, and I read "Swing Your Sword" by Mike Leach not that long ago. So, most of what I enjoy reading is non-fiction, but I have enjoyed books about sports, politics, music, history, all sorts of stuff.

I am very in tune to sound, so yes it annoys me when stuff doesn't sound good. But I realize that's highly subjective so I also get annoyed at myself for being annoyed. :alttongue:

Can't speak for wheelchairdoug of course but I personally don't have "tertiary Ni" so I don't use it at all and don't believe it supports my "Fi."

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

Yes
No
Trial and error, thought I was an INFJ for a while but that's because I only read one ISFP profile (a bad one) so dismissed ISFP initially.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx

I love reading. I spend quite a bit of my free time reading. I tend to stick to mystery novels... But I have read several psychology, sociology, documentaries, self help, humor, etc.

O M G, you have no idea how crazy that makes me. Take my husband for example... Sometimes I think he has a hole in his lip because it seems like at every meal he spills food on the front of him and stains his shirt... It will drive me crazy until he changes. I honestly don't know how he ignores it. And I definitely notice missed notes or off-key notes... I usually wince when I hear it. As far as color matching... I had to explain to my mom that brown socks and black shoes were a no-no. So yes, mis-matched colors drive me nuts, too :smile:

I did not. I actually typed as an ESTP... But the description was totally off... So I tested again and got ESFP... But it still seemed off... So I started searching other options around ESTP/ESFP and figured out that ISTP didn't really fit either....but ISFP was me to a T! I can understand the N thing though, because I did recently test as an INFP for some reason.

I guess it's useful considering I can be pretty quick to make decisions... It helps me to not make wild and crazy bad decisions since I can get a feel for what chain of events could occur.

I'm not really sure how to answer this one... I don't really think about what processes I'm using when making decisions...

Again, I'm not sure how to answer this because I don't really think about how my Ni and Fi are working together.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do you feel about people that are flakey about plans? I know disliking flakes may be more of a J thing, but I know a few ISFPs that are really bothered by it too (a lot of the female ones I know). Then again, I know ISFPs that really don't care and are kind of flakey themselves (a lot of the male ISFPs I know).

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
How do you feel about people that are flakey about plans? I know disliking flakes may be more of a J thing, but I know a few ISFPs that are really bothered by it too (a lot of the female ones I know). Then again, I know ISFPs that really don't care and are kind of flakey themselves (a lot of the male ISFPs I know).

I'm super flexible when it comes to plans... So if someone flakes out on me I might get hurt... And sometimes even get a little paranoid that it's something I've done to make them flake out... But I rarely get ticked off about it. Usually, I just enjoy having the extra time to do something I had been putting off....

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ

I usually don't care if plans are flakey if it is understood that they are flakey. When I commit to a time and date, I do expect that the other person is on time as I will be, only because my time is limited.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Fiction, paranormal stuff, new age.

I notice things like that instantly... and it all depends on my mood or if it's affecting me if I want to change it. :p

Yeah it was for sure a trial and error, I thought I was an INFP at first simply because I tested that way and felt like I had an "edge" over a lot of people that I perceived as S types. Then I started feeling isolated because I felt an edge even over the hallowed N types.

That was about the point where I discovered the functions and started getting into them a lot, and I saw my "Ne" as just Se manifesting through my more unconscious Ni. After I began researching socionics I realized that I was for sure a sensor based on their descriptions, since they were specific and easier for me to grasp honestly. After dissecting socionics with [MENTION=5454]Costrin[/MENTION] and then talking about this ISFP business with him and [meniton]simulatedworld[/mention], I realized how wrong I had been! I feel like I was around when the functions weren't as prevalent, and the information wasn't nearly as concrete as I needed it to be to actually work with it.

I feel like for some reason my Ni went into an overdrive when I was going through a really unhealthy state in my life, and when I gained access to my Se the Ni was still there; but was moderated more by the Se.

I feel like I'll get this feeling about something about how there is something "missing" about it, how there is definitely more that could be interpreted about it. Or from support with Se, when I see definite things, I come to some kind of subconscious understanding of what it really is. What it means, the facade it puts on, etc.

Sometimes I'll get a sudden realization about what something is. This I've discovered happens after I get enough real input and after I think about the individual variables.

The things I use it for... It's pretty handy for figuring people out, their real intentions, unconscious intentions. (This ties in with the Fi) I get pretty strong hunches about people, undiscernable feelings that I have to figure out by either thinking or seeing things that tie into that feeling actually happen. I have a hard time using it for real world things other than people though, if I get a push from an NT then it helps make the connections for me.

If anything it both supports and brings my Fi down. Sometimes I try to ignore what Ni says but then I realize how right it was, and other times I'm convinced of something about something or someone and I'm wrong. Other times I know it's best to go with the flow with stuff but I always have the thought in the best of my head if it's telling me things... It's weird to balance.

I guess I can be flaky, and I don't care so much about people who are flaky. But I have major issues with people who are flaky AND don't communicate. If you communicate changes in plans at any time that I'm not actually trying to spend time with you, then I can adjust instantly and it's fine. But when someone stands me up... I'm not okay with that.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISFPs,

How do you deal with anger toward people that you care about?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
ISFPs,

I must admit- in a word, unhealthily. I tend to either plot getting back at ther person or hold on to bitterness and distrust to an exaggerated degree. I have trouble letting things go, because the first thing my mind jumps to besides the immediate inconvenience is the likelihood that something similar will come up again in the future if I don't nip the issue in the bud.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm super flexible when it comes to plans... So if someone flakes out on me I might get hurt... And sometimes even get a little paranoid that it's something I've done to make them flake out...

This.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do other people get you to open up about your thoughts/feelings?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I REALLY REALLY have to feel as though they won't break my trust somehow and that they won't judge me. And many times, it's just not going to happen. IRL I don't open up easily.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
How do other people get you to open up about your thoughts/feelings?

I'm very similar to [MENTION=9913]wheelchairdoug[/MENTION] on this one. It's like pulling teeth to get me to open up.... The best way to get me to open up is to not nag me to death about it... When I hit a point where I feel comfortable enough about it, I'll open up and talk about it... However, it can take a long time for me to ever feel comfortable about certain things. I've got some pretty dusty skeletons in my closet that haven't seen the light of day for years. There are probably several thoughts in my head that nobody will ever hear about. I'm too afraid of someone judging me for something that happened when I was younger. It would take a lot of reassurance for me to feel comfortable enough to dust off some of my skeletons.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
ISFPs,

Sigh.... I don't. I grit my teeth. I bottle it up. I cry out of frustration. I isolate myself from everyone for awhile. Pretty much, I do everything but talk to the person about it. Eventually, I either get so much anger built up I blow up at some innocent, unsuspecting person who totally doesn't deserve... Or it just goes away and I forget about it.