• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Physical Feats, Consciousness, and Technique

KDude

Before I start, I apologize for the thread title. It sounds stupid. Or pretentious. Or both.

I was just wondering when any of you pull off something physically smooth, would you chalk it up to practice or technique? It could be a perfect dive, manuevering out of a dangerous hydroplane spin, landing a new bike trick, hitting someone with a solid WWF style drop kick. Whatever :coffee: I'm just curious if you assume a lot of control in all of this, or does it kind of seem like luck? I've pulled off some cool things, but I kind of wonder if I'm actually any good.. they just seem like they happen. Like instinct almost. It's like when someone is about to drop a plate and you slide in and catch it. Are you really that cool, or did your hands kind of think for you? Personally, I think I've just been lucky. My mind goes blank in the process of some of this stuff. Maybe people are right. I'm not SP. Maybe I'm some kind of fraud with a little luck on my side.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Before I start, I apologize for the thread title. It sounds stupid. Or pretentious. Or both.

I was just wondering when any of you pull off something physically smooth, would you chalk it up to practice or technique? It could be a perfect dive, manuevering out of a dangerous hydroplane spin, landing a new bike trick, hitting someone with a solid WWF style drop kick. Whatever :coffee: I'm just curious if you assume a lot of control in all of this, or does it kind of seem like luck? I've pulled off some cool things, but I kind of wonder if I'm actually any good.. they just seem like they happen. Like instinct almost. It's like when someone is about to drop a plate and you slide in and catch it. Are you really that cool, or did your hands kind of think for you? Personally, I think I've just been lucky. My mind goes blank in the process of some of this stuff. Maybe people are right. I'm not SP. Maybe I'm some kind of fraud with a little luck on my side.

I always sprain my left wrist or left ankle when I try to do stuff like that. Then I whine about it like a little girl for weeks.

KDude

I always sprain my left wrist or left ankle when I try to do stuff like that. Then I whine about it like a little girl for weeks.

OK, why is it the left?

Are you left handed? I'm left handed, but I've broken my right ankle a couple of times.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I consider it to be a freak occurrence since I'm rather notably klutzy :blush:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OK, why is it the left?

Are you left handed? I'm left handed, but I've broken my right ankle a couple of times.

I'm left handed, yes, so I throw my left hand behind me if I fall. I don't know why my left ankle keeps going out on me, kind of a cycle, I think one of the tendons is loose.

KDude

I consider it to be a freak occurrence since I'm rather notably klutzy :blush:

Yeah, freak occurance. Kind of what I mean. Enough to where I can comment sort of detached from it. "Holy shit, did you see that?!" I bet someone could misconstrue that as bragging - but actually, I'm not even talking about myself. It's some other guy.

rav3n

When it comes to action in a clearly dangerous situation, the adrenaline rush creates a clarity of mind that's surreal. Everything is crystal, crystal clear and yes, it does feel like time slows so you have the time to do the right thing where thoughts are ripping through your mind but you're ice cold calm. Even thoughts like "I'm going to die" don't create any emotional resonance.

As far as luck or skill, no idea. The thought becomes action, how, who knows?

KDude

The thought becomes action, how, who knows?

Lenore Thomson talks a lot about Se-Ti being a lot of "body based logic"... that it's not exactly abstracted logic, but turned on with physical interaction with objects.

So, that's a type related "theory" to all of this, I guess.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When it comes to action in a clearly dangerous situation, the adrenaline rush creates a clarity of mind that's surreal. Everything is crystal, crystal clear and yes, it does feel like time slows so you have the time to do the right thing where thoughts are ripping through your mind but you're ice cold calm. Even thoughts like "I'm going to die" don't create any emotional resonance.

As far as luck or skill, no idea. The thought becomes action, how, who knows?

THIS. +1!!

In general, I have very fast reflexes.
If I drop anything, or if anyone near me drops something, I catch it a majority of the time, and not with alot of effort.
It's almost like a game at this point.
Last night I was making myself a drink and a piece of ice fell out of the ice tray and started falling toward the floor.
I cannot bend forward at the waist since I just had a spinal fusion surgery on October 12th.
So, using my age old soccer skills, I tapped the ice cube upward off the tow of my sneaker and caught it with my hand as it was in the air above my waist.
I didn't even flinch.
I tossed the ice cub in the sink and looked at my wife.
She smiled, shook her head and said "Dear God, you didn't even think about that!" and walked away chuckling.

As Jenaphor said, alot of this is adrenaline driven.
I happen to be a person of massive adrenaline output.
Part of this phenomena is simply "motivation." Do you care if what you drop hits the floor? If you don't then it will fall. If you do, you will try to catch it.
Another part of such phenomena is indeed skill, because anything that you put concentrated, repeated effort into becomes less a facet of luck, and more a facet of skill over time, IMHO.
Can you get lucky even if you are skilled? YES.
Can people who are not skilled get lucky? YES.
But, on any given day, I'd rather be a person who is well trained and well prepared to deal with what comes my way, rather than someone who expects Lady Luck to be the keeper of their well being. :newwink:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What I have read is you focus on what you have to do ("Drive between the jackknifed truck and guardrail") and do not think about the failure ("Don't hit the truck!").

KDude

rather than someone who expects Lady Luck to be the keeper of their well being. :newwink:

Yeah, she isn't always playing nice, is she?

I keep up at some things, but not enough to account for some actions. I specialize what I'm good at. Maybe some of those skills transfer though.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, she isn't always playing nice, is she?

LOLZ! :laugh:

Lady Luck is almost as mean of a bitch as Mother Nature!!! :shock:

I keep up at some things, but not enough to account for some actions. I specialize what I'm good at. Maybe some of those skills transfer though.

I think this is a natural state of mind for many.
Capitalize on your strengths, the skill you gain as such will inevitably transfer into other arenas, and then some things are just left up to luck/chance.
Even the most skilled depend on luck to some degree.
Whether or not they admit to it is a different story.
My Mom has told me that she would be more impressed with me if I didn't drop shit in the first place than me catching things when I do drop them, Haaa!!! :laugh:

rav3n

Lenore Thomson talks a lot about Se-Ti being a lot of "body based logic"... that it's not exactly abstracted logic, but turned on with physical interaction with objects.

So, that's a type related "theory" to all of this, I guess.
Yes, I agree with the Se function. Not sure if Ti is necessary, since I used Ni. It's not just looking at the here and now but also looks at strange things like trajectory calc. The specific example I was thinking of was when my car lost traction on the twisties (icy) with a cliff to one side. What kept running through my mind was "steer into the skid" and things like "there's a major curve coming up, so if I do this, this and this..etc".

THIS. +1!!

In general, I have very fast reflexes.
If I drop anything, or if anyone near me drops something, I catch it a majority of the time, and not with alot of effort.
It's almost like a game at this point.
Last night I was making myself a drink and a piece of ice fell out of the ice tray and started falling toward the floor.
I cannot bend forward at the waist since I just had a spinal fusion surgery on October 12th.
So, using my age old soccer skills, I tapped the ice cube upward off the tow of my sneaker and caught it with my hand as it was in the air above my waist.
I didn't even flinch.
I tossed the ice cub in the sink and looked at my wife.
She smiled, shook her head and said "Dear God, you didn't even think about that!" and walked away chuckling.

As Jenaphor said, alot of this is adrenaline driven.
I happen to be a person of massive adrenaline output.
Part of this phenomena is simply "motivation." Do you care if what you drop hits the floor? If you don't then it will fall. If you do, you will try to catch it.
Another part of such phenomena is indeed skill, because anything that you put concentrated, repeated effort into becomes less a facet of luck, and more a facet of skill over time, IMHO.
Can you get lucky even if you are skilled? YES.
Can people who are not skilled get lucky? YES.
But, on any given day, I'd rather be a person who is well trained and well prepared to deal with what comes my way, rather than someone who expects Lady Luck to be the keeper of their well being. :newwink:
Ha ha...that's pretty coordinated! Not quite that good although I did catch a line drive headed for my face when pitching one day. Now that was pure reflex with a dose of luck, since I wasn't regulation distance away from home plate.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP

Technique improves with practice.

KDude

You'll need an output to go with the Se input.

Se as input. Interesting comment.

I have too much Socionics in my head. I type as Si there.. and it is more of the input Sensory function. While Se exerts and pushes, possibly taking over a lot of what some consider to be Te here.

Here, I don't know what to think. It could be a little of both input/output.

wolfy

awsm
Catching things that are falling I chalk up to reflexes. I do feel kind of proud though, even the instinctive aspects are apart of me. I must be aware on some level because I was able to teach myself to let knives drop to the floor and stay clear.

I remember thinking about how much of what we do is second nature.