• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTP/INFP Relationship

Nereid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a pretty twisted and dark sense of humour but maybe that's because i'm a 5w6, or maybe i'm really an INTP. :huh:

My ISTP ex describes his sense of humour as dark and twisted aaaaallll the time

Osalo

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
  • is self-admittedly introverted (thinks "people suck" but enjoys his friends and enjoys our co-workers as he's gotten to know them)
  • is quick to respond to an issue (our line of work is fast paced and potentially hazardous and he rushes in as needed)
  • is well put together aesthetically (sporty/outdoorsy and neat in his attire)
  • finishes my sentences or questions at times (with varying accuracy)
  • notices observable physical details (identifies things as a quality like "soft" by sight, smells things)
  • observes without comment until necessary
  • uses logic at the expense of emotion when administering discipline
  • teaches by active physical example or instruction
  • seems rather reserved but has initiated conversation regarding our mutual interest in our work

There's a good chance you're right. The archetypical ISTP uses Se to take in a lot of data and mentally sorts it out as impartially as possible. We favor action over words, which extends to how we prefer to learn and therefore teach. That also means we sometimes won't speak unless necessary. It can be jarring for others - once someone asked me if I have a quota on the number of words I'm allowed to speak each day. If a conversation doesn't interest us we'll be content to drift back into observation/data gathering or mentally process any info backlogged in our brain. If a topic piques our interest we'll likely gab for a good while about it. We're typically all on or all off.

When we have occasion to chat (despite my completely reserved nature at work it's easy to talk to him one-on-one), he is more of a question answerer than inquisitive. As time has passed I've been able to ask about his personal life and he's been more willing to share. He doesn't ask about my personal life.
We value our privacy and in turn respect that of others. He chose to be open about himself and likewise expects that to be a choice for yourself rather than an obligation.

I have seen him become frustrated and lose a bit of the handle he has on his emotions in two ways, once through slight anger and once through withdrawal that masked slight/anger. In both instances he resolved the conflict and returned to his usual state.
I don't know if other ISTPs would use this analogy but my emotions are like the steam in a kettle. My objectivity keeps a lid over my otherwise mercurial emotions but sometimes the pressure is too high. Either it leaks out or I zone out a bit to tighten the lid.

For some time, despite having already conversed with me, he would not say hello of his own volition.
I'm guilty of this. Typically it means I'm in my mind either sorting out ideas, zeroing in on a task, or recharging from being sociable earlier in the day.

In the midst of our work however, (our shared passion) he would make the effort to engage me, to ask how I was getting on or just make himself available for questions and to give instruction. He has also done this at the expense of his personal time, staying later than necessary in conversation.
Either he's a good supervisor who's trying to ensure his team member is integrating well or he's trying to spend more time with you personally.

He will smile now much more readily and he is a bit playful. He has made a few witty remarks (which I loved but he seemed to think he had to explain that he was only joking).
That's a bit unusual, though I might do that too if I'm teasing someone and I'm worried they'd interpret it as legitimate insult.

As an INFP I have obviously romanticized our interactions, but I wonder if I can put any credence in the perception I have that he may be interested in me as a woman. I'm not inclined to trust my intuition when it comes to men, I believe I'm simply infatuated again with someone who is lovely to look at and shares one of my primary passions. But I find that I see him more (as though he makes himself more visible) and we're engaging more with a more casual nature to our interactions.

Is this just an average ISTP work relationship?
There's not enough here to form a definitive conclusion. He may be interested but playing it slow and cautious, simply be polite and sociable,or is sending out mixed signals because he wary of office romance. Per ISTP protocols, more data would be needed.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP + ISTP? Sounds terrible! x]
Unfortunately I feel the same. I think INFP with any SP as a couple is just tragic. As friends, sure!
Overall, INFP can befriend and devote to any types, but we're just inherently bound to remain unsatisfied with simply any type including our own.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My brother is an ISTP... Though there are many differences between us, as characterized by ST vs NF, we also share a lot of similarities in terms of world orientation. We both tend to step back and consider the facets of our lives and we both go pretty deep into research about the things that we are interested in. We both tend to approach things a bit skeptically (which may be 6/Ti overlap) and have laughingly discussed a certain intellectual elitism that we share - fueled by how we do go into that deep research and pride ourselves on good information. We are both open ended, fairly indecisive, and only initiators in very specific niches. We both tend to think a lot about ourselves in relation to the world. And we both struggle a little to let go and have a good time, but place a high level of appreciation on entertainment (maybe SP/w7 overlap).

I think my best friend in middle school was an ISTP, too... again we shared similar traits of tending to step away and prizing high-quality information, and also enjoying relaxing entertainment.

I actually think that ISTP is a type that I could see having a good romantic relationship with, because it seems to be a good balance between being similar enough to respect what the other is doing and to feel mostly comfortable in their presence, but different enough to stay interesting.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can see a very good relationship stemming from ISTP and INFP. I have dated one and i i really enjoyed it. I think it has alot of potential. I also know several other INFPs and I can easily see myself dating them and really enjoying it. Whether I fall in love I don't believe is a type thing though, that's more based on who the person is beyond personality.

BunnyLoopsMewtwoRED

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I can see a very good relationship stemming from ISTP and INFP. I have dated one and i i really enjoyed it. I think it has alot of potential. I also know several other INFPs and I can easily see myself dating them and really enjoying it. Whether I fall in love I don't believe is a type thing though, that's more based on who the person is beyond personality.

Now myself sir, I've been accustomed to being a quite strict typist by random measures of greatness on a scale of fish we can string up.

It's fun to put letters on people's general grayness when it comes to archetypes, but the Real dazzle can overthrow a sack of credits!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Incidentally - I think part of how well ISTP/INFP will work depends on the Fe-Fi, Te-Ti conflicts. The more chill the two are on those scores, the better it will probably work.

Ya fellow, hello.

Frankly, I'm very afraid of Highlander, but I might be able to squeeze through the rules..
assuming I'm careful, of course!!

Missed you Raptor and glad to see you back but might want to start with not posting off-topic in threads :laugh:

BunnyLoopsMewtwoRED

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Incidentally - I think part of how well ISTP/INFP will work depends on the Fe-Fi, Te-Ti conflicts. The more chill the two are on those scores, the better it will probably work.

Missed you Raptor and glad to see you back but might want to start with not posting off-topic in threads :laugh:

Actually my pinky~azure friend, this thread is indirectly on-topic.

Why? Because I'm too scared to start a new thread when I'm "RaptorWizard" who was previously banned like .5 years ago!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Actually my pinky~azure friend, this thread is indirectly on-topic.

Why? Because I'm too scared to start a new thread when I'm "RaptorWizard" who was previously banned like .5 years ago!

You still identify as ISTP? Bunny as INFP?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's cute to see it that Way, because actions transcend dogmas, aka the description-bars you put on the various "Witch-sticks"!

Speaking of transcending. Sometimes I worry about you a little. Hope you guys are happy.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Great turn of events in this thread.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:hi: been in a relationship with an ISTP 3 years, living with him for 2.

we are very similar and very different.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:hi: been in a relationship with an ISTP 3 years, living with him for 2.

we are very similar and very different.

Agree completely...dated an infp. Very compatible, only reason I broke up is because I didn't fall in love with her and I am on a hunt looking for more then I had. So once I realize it won't end up in marriage I cut commitment. At this point anything that I believe leads to a feeling of commitment gets cut.

The right infp could very much lead to marriage. When our differences do butt heads its not generally things that matter or are important so it just blows over quickly and easily.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I’ve read in many threads that INFPs and ISTPs conflict and are not able appreciate each other. This has not been my experience; in fact I believe similarities arise because of JiPe despite the difference in both perceiving and judging functions.

I’ve not been in a relationship with an ISTP however I lived with one and it’s easily the smoothest friendship I’ve had. We worked really well together because she’s shrewd and can always identify holes in concrete systems (getting what she wanted without ramifications) whereas I took ideas and played with them, making them absurd. She was also shy, friendly and detached; she felt she couldn’t always charm people (on the rare occasion where someone – not something – obstructed her path) so I would help her out and connect with whomever so we could get what we wanted. It was always entertaining; like a game for us. With her I learnt how to recognize loopholes and use them to my advantage.

We’re calm, playful and light-hearted; we amused each other with our antics. She seemed to love the goofy FiNe humor whereas her sneaky ways entertained me, she could slide under any radar completely undetected and undeterred.

Similarities of JiPe types:

• have no desire to lead or control others
  • have no desire to be led or controlled by others
  • need space and time alone and respect other people's needs for the same
  • quiet and reserved, and difficult to get to know well
  • do not believe in or follow rules and regulations
  • hate to work on routine things

The above characteristics are what both type value and neither treads on each other as they’re focused in different realms. In stress, we give each other space and time to cope (she became distant, I became angry) and reconnected once we were normal. Both types do not impose themselves on each other and therefore it’s easy to achieve mutual respect.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of my best friends is an INFP. In fact I can think of another friend who is too. I get on well with them. I call them on their flowery bullshit ideas which at times I think is a little brutal but I think it helps then to see things more rationally. I like the easy going nature of them. They don't demand anything of me and they are so giving and positive. I've never thought about a relationship with them- in that way, perhaps the SP/NF thing would be too different. Can't really comment on that. But as friends yeah sure I like them.