• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] do ISTP decide by logic?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Would ISTP usually agree or disagree with this statement, how strongly and with what variation?

"In decision making, I primarily emphasize rationality, logic and clear cause-consequence relationships."

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Try to but doesn't always work out that way.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
if you don't decide by logic, what else do you decide by? emotion? haha

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
What would it mean for a person otherwise probably typed as an ISTP to strongly disagree with the statement?

Is the statement more NT, ST, T, Te, Ti or what?

Edit: or TP or TJ? Some other variant?

I'm struggling to understand a person who states absolutely logical things to everything, who doesn't seem to ruin one bit of her verbal logical statements with her emotions. She decides most actions by the feelings of the moment, and mostly by F and not T. So is she just constraining her speech more than her actions, leading her communication over-represent T over F, while her actions show F quite a lot?

heart

heart on fire
I think they make decisions based on their judgement of logic, and some have very good judgement and some don't.

I have an ISTP relative who believes he is rational and logical and he truly does not use feeling to make decisions, but his judgement seems to be corrupted and his logic is always off enough to land him into trouble, add to that his lack of regard for the feeling element and it doesn't make for a very pretty picture. Feelers who lack good logic can usually seek protection from others based on their people skills and get help.

It would seem very Ti to agree that one makes their decisions based on inductive logic.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Would ISTP usually agree or disagree with this statement, how strongly and with what variation?

"In decision making, I primarily emphasize rationality, logic and clear cause-consequence relationships."
I wouldn't describe myself that way. I make decisions on the fly based on practical concerns and whether or not I feel like it. And I emphasize speed and possibility of success more than anything else.

That just reads like an accountant wrote it.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I wouldn't describe myself that way. I make decisions on the fly based on practical concerns and whether or not I feel like it. And I emphasize speed and possibility of success more than anything else.

That just reads like an accountant wrote it.
Ok that was valuable, thanks. Well, heck, deciding by feelings of the moment isn't unknown for this T ;)

So gathering all info, I guess that disagreeing with the statement in the OP wouldn't make one a less likely ISTP.

Seems like ISTP have more practical know-how which they don't think of as "logic". Yet, it seems to me, they ARE logical, but they're more than that.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Uh, all funtions are cognitive so whether one decides logically or due to value based decisions has no bearning on emotions. The system iteself is not determined on emotions. ISTP use Ti (a subjective, judging function). We like to think that we're basing decisions on objectivity, but like all introverted functions, they are subjective.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm a fan of the logic. But I make decisions when I *have* to make them. I hate making up my mind. And I certainly don't do it in advance.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Logic is important, but it is not the only factor in decisions I make. Sometimes, it is not even the primary factor.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Logic is important, but it is not the only factor in decisions I make. Sometimes, it is not even the primary factor.

hm, ok then...so what is the primary factor?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Logic is a relative term:
log·ic
–noun 1. the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.
2. a particular method of reasoning or argumentation: We were unable to follow his logic.
3. the system or principles of reasoning applicable to any branch of knowledge or study.
4. reason or sound judgment, as in utterances or actions: There wasn't much logic in her move.
5. convincing forcefulness; inexorable truth or persuasiveness: the irresistible logic of the facts.
Whether one is logical does not mean that you are being rational. It reminds me of a question on Lenore Thomson's assessment that, "Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence." There may be logic behind things that the Bush administration has done for the past four years, however it does not mean that their actions appeared rational.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
^ i dont see your distinction as being between logic and rationality, but logic and inferior, limited, or flawed logic

to the OP: how else would one decide, if not by logic... illogic?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
to the OP: how else would one decide, if not by logic... illogic?
Logic was a catch-all category for the deciding method described in the OP, lifted from a book I've bought. It's a 20-question assessment of person's preference in using each of their brain areas.

There was one quite similar question in the survey, one saying
"In decision making, I primarily try to consider people and their feelings".

Councilor

MBTI Type
ISTP
I pool all variables I can think of, variables are mulled for other variables, they are linked and cross referenced. I look at them and see which ones can be resolved. I then look at which ones are completely stupid. The last ones are those I find to be the most practical, those are what I decide on.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Reason as in using no feelings for decisions, of course, logic as in complex thought algorithms, um sort of, clear cause-consequence relationships, hell no, that's INTJ's contingency planning specialty, not ISTP's action adventure drive.

So the beginning of the statement is okay, :) the middle is further off, :mellow: and the last bit is just a big no. :mad:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I usually make decisions if I am able to properly weigh out the resourcefulness of that decision. If there is some kind of "deal" or benefit i'm getting out of it then i'll end up going with it.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've had people question why I've done something but then having explained my thought process it makes sense to them. I consider my decisions as reasonable more than logical. Sometimes it's just whether or not I feel like doing something at the time. Sometimes there isn't a whole lot of thought behind it. Depends on what's riding on the decision. Interpersonal decisions are made looking at the facts of a situation and coming to a conclusion then choosing an action that would best suit me.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think this may depend at least partly on enneagram. Not all (or even most I think) ISTPs are the thrill-seeking, Se-bound types. Some are very, very dominantly Ti, and there's really no better word to describe them than logical. My brother is that way. Definitely ISTP, definitely logical and definitely puts logic (Ti) ahead of experience (Se).

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
that's what they like to tell themselves, at least :whistling:

in reality, sometimes. like everybody else.