• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] do ISTP decide by logic?

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Logic is largely subjective.
There is no definitive version of it.

Care to elaborate? I was under the impression that the tenets of logic were clearly defined, and thus, lend objectivity to the practice.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can view logic as geared for specific tasks so logicality is often defined in terms of how well it achieves an end that one values or in avoiding a consequence that one has come to expect. Because people are inherently subjected to different forces the ends and means they pursue will vary.

KDude

I wouldn't say I'm always logical in the "Aristotelian" sense, but I guess you could say I'm internally obsessive in some ways and need precision (by internal, I mean I'm not a control freak to others). Value based decisions can offer meaning too, as long as I came to it through some sort of rigourous/anal examination process. It's easier for me to drop value based thinking than INFP or something though. I'm kind of clueless about a lot of values and just try to do my best... I won't passionately hanging on to ideals though. Maybe when it comes to big/universal things, I want to be more Fi like. I think the universe is an indifferent, cold place - but some Fi ish values pop up that still makes me think I shouldn't adopt indifference as a model for personal behavior. Even if the universe is indifferent, people should work to get along better. That isn't logical.. just a desire and a wish.

For all I know though, maybe I'm ISFP. lol

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
to the OP... no, they decide things by shooting their crossbows at decision boards :rolleyes:

preferably, since they're all total badasses, after dousing the arrows in everclear (then drinking the rest of the bottle) and setting it alight :holy:

KDude

I think that more formal brand of logic comes out in INTP because they're explicitly concerned with models. They might idealize their decision making approach from an underlying blueprint of Logic. And maybe outright point to it in a "Spock" like manner, saying something "Logic dictates that..." I think it even comes out when they try to be worldly - like look at a lot of the "PUA" literature. I bet most of it is Ti/Ne - the approach is very mechanical and rules based, rather than casual. It's not really fluid and in the moment decision making, but If/Then/But scenarios.. little logic games to spark interest in others. Se is going to be implicit in it's logic, practical, specific, even casual sounding to the point of being mundane, pointing the logical flaws through specific scenarios and objects. The model is in the unconscious, if there is one at all. But even all this is an exaggeration probably. I'm sure if there were two ITP kids or something, they're going to look fairly identical most of the time. Especially when it comes to Inferior Fe. At least I don't buy into the idea of being cooler than INTPs. My social skills have always been a source of problems. Se isn't the only thing needed to be "comfortable" in your skin - all E - extroverted - functions are needed to be awesome in the world. That's the nature of extroversion - it deals with the outside. I'm guessing Fe more than anything, since "other people" are a big equation to the outside world.

edit: Speaking of which, I'm writing this nonsense on New Year's Eve, alone, watching the Walking Dead. Story of my life. Shows how cool I am. ;)

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I wouldn't overanalyze my opinion on logic.
No ambiguity here, really.

Internal "logic" is dictated by goal and intent.
Everybody's is different.

Your mileage may vary sort of thing.

KDude

I'd be more averse to comparing myself with INTJs, simply because I don't know any. Except possible famous ones. I can admire them, but they're not easy to identify with, from what I know. Also, their leading function is one that I'm weary and cautious of. It's more of a reaction towards Perceiver types in general (both E and I types) who are all fundamentally irrational in my opinion. By irrational, I don't mean illogical. Just very fluid and easily accepting of a perceptual outlook. Judging functions are more vigilant.