• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFP] Is ESFP the most "diverse" type?

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think that other people get the idea that ESFPs are the most shallow, most fun-oriented type. But I'd argue that ESFPs seem to be the most diverse type and the hardest to figure out. There are ESFPs that are shallow and just like to do drugs, there are ESFPs that love Nietzsche and contemplate the meaning of life so much that they appear to be Ns. Their tastes never have anything to do with the tastes of other ESFPs, and often seem to have nothing to do with anyone around them either.

ENTPs seem to all be logical, and I frequently share tastes and ideas with other ENTPs who grew up in the same environment. All the ENFPs I've known are fairly similar in their passionate expression. INTPs all share logical quirkiness. ESFJs are generally organized, well-mannered people. These are all generalizations of course, but the only thing I can generalize about ESFPs is that they like to have fun and they do what they feel like doing, which can apparently be anything depending on which one you talk to.

Has anyone else noticed this?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that other people get the idea that ESFPs are the most shallow, most fun-oriented type. But I'd argue that ESFPs seem to be the most diverse type and the hardest to figure out. There are ESFPs that are shallow and just like to do drugs, there are ESFPs that love Nietzsche and contemplate the meaning of life so much that they appear to be Ns. Their tastes never have anything to do with the tastes of other ESFPs, and often seem to have nothing to do with anyone around them either.

I think you're quite right, but I would also hazard a guess that the drug-doing shallow ones are more common than the Nietszche-loving ones.

My problem is that I'm actually not sure how many real ESFPs I have known and what they are like. I have known so many people in recent years who act like stereotypical ESFPS (OMFG PARTY PARTY DRINK DRINK OMG I AM NOT DRUNK ENOUGH OMG U R SO HOT OMG SHE IS SUCH A BITCH OMG I CANT BELIEVE U DONT KNOW HIM CUZ HE IS LIKE SO COOL OMG DRINK DRINK PARTY PARTY) that it's hard to know what's what. I suspect that there have been a lot of ESFJs, ESTPs, etc in the mix but they have been acting like the worst stereotype of an ESFP.

A

Anew Leaf

ENTPs seem to all be logical, and I frequently share tastes and ideas with other ENTPs who grew up in the same environment. All the ENFPs I've known are fairly similar in their passionate expression. INTPs all share logical quirkiness. ESFJs are generally organized, well-mannered people. These are all generalizations of course, but the only thing I can generalize about ESFPs is that they like to have fun and they do what they feel like doing, which can apparently be anything depending on which one you talk to.

I haven't had that many ESFP friends over the years. I have an ESFP employee though who cracks me up. She's a harley davidson riding, knitting church goer, with pink hair and tattoos and is 60 years old.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
These are all generalizations of course, but the only thing I can generalize about ESFPs is that they like to have fun and they do what they feel like doing, which can apparently be anything depending on which one you talk to.

Exactly.

And the stereotype that it will always be drugs that they do is just terrible. :nono:
ESFPs have self-control when they make up their mind to have it.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly.

And the stereotype that it will always be drugs that they do is just terrible. :nono:
ESFPs have self-control when they make up their mind to have it.

No, it doesn't have to be drugs. How about alcoholism or promiscuity? :newwink:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I'm thinking of the ESFP's that I know in my life right now. Friends, coworkers, and many family members. I wouldn't call them diverse exactly- I can usually type them pretty quick. (Sometimes I accidentally call them ESFP on first glance and then they turn out to be any of the exfx or extp.)

One is predictably unpredictable, if that makes sense. Her "thing" is to change tastes often- I think that just means that she's up-to-date on what's going on in the world/ what people like to talk about/ what to think about- does a really good job knowing who she's with and what to say. Which always fascinated me because she ends up having a lot of interesting things to say at the end of the day, I'm not even really sure how she retains all that information, pulling a crap load of stuff from the world.

The one thing that they all have in common- (the ones that I am close to) is that they are hilariously funny. Not just the stereotypical "fun." They just make really funny insights about the stuff that's going on in the environment. (I'm failing at thinking of an example that's not an inside joke or difficult to explain.)

The stereotypical young party people that seems to be widely typed ESFP- (though it's mostly just a sheep mentality- probably made up of many types who are trying to fit in by presenting themselves that way)- well, I don't associate myself with that crowd as much anymore. You see them on the surface and you really don't know that much about what really goes on in their heads and what leads them to the behaviors.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm not sure about them being the most diverse, but i'd think that se+fi are both good functions for absorbing and adapting to one's environment. so they may vary more than other types depending on their upbringing, peers, etc.