• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP Motto

A

Anew Leaf

I couldn't agree more. I hate the stereotypes that ISTP's can't be sensitive, and it is absolutely not my experience. After being romantically involoved with an ISTP for 5 years, living with him for 4, being very close to his ISTP best friend and the best friends wife, I have a much different view of ISTP. I have learned a few things.

1) I don't take much of what others say about ISTP's seriously, especially when it comes to ISTP depth. THis type is the most difficult I've ever encountered to get to know on a very deep level. Hell, I think many ISTP's don't even know themselves on a deep level. Just because someone is uncomfortable or even incapeable of understanding and articulating their own emotions, DOES NOT mean they cease to exist. ISTP's (especially e9's) are HIGHLY sensitive to their own inner world, seaking peace and harmony at almost any cost. THe problem lies in their defense mechanism of disassociating. And again, just because they dissassociate DOES NOT mean that those emotions cease to exist, even though it might seem this way to ISTP and all on-lookers. No No No, they are still there, and tend manifest is some very pecular, REPRESSED ways.

I was about 3 years into my relation before I caught this intuitively. Prior to that I blindly bought this emotionless malarkey the profiles cast off. And this next bit is not meant to be egotistical, know it all, "I have the key" shit.. but I absolutely believe that the ONLY reason I've been able to see into my ISTP as much as I have is because I am NF e4, who is tremendously motivated to understand the emotional landscape of those close to me, extract these findings and offer them up for self growth and actualization for my partner. Many other types are just not that motivated to put in this kind of time, energy, and understanding.. especially with ISTP because ISTP themselves wan't to operate at face-value.

2) It is my experience that ISTP 9's are far less likely to scrap, argue or involove themselves in anykind of hostile situation, moving back to that peace and harmony at any cost bit. However, E6 CP's DO. Since I only know 1 ISTP e6 CP fairly well, I don't feel like I have enough insight to add alot to this. All I can say is that there is a marked difference that seems to lie in e-type.

3) ISTP e9'and ISTP PH 6 is not usually the lone-wolf autonomy junkies that the profiles indicate. Every ISTP I've known has quite a history of relationships, and long term at that. While the descriptions claim ISTP's tend to seek out those that operate similarly this is not what I've observed. Many ISTP's are drawn to partners that exhibit qualities the ISTP subconsciously lacks in themselves. Especially Extroversion and feeling. However, they do draw to people with similar life styles, especially hobbies. Hunting, automechanics, musical pursuits, hiking and sports, etc. You could say this about anytype though.

4) As far as ISTP's being egotistical, I disagree on this as well. What ISTP's DO have is a strong and unwavering belief that they are just as deserving as anyone else, and that NOBODY has a right to fuck with their inner mojo. THIS is why ISTP's can come across as uncaring and disconnected. Because if they see you cramping their style through needs, demands, or anything they deem inauthentic to themselves, they will lose you regardless of how much they care deep down. And its not hard for them because when it gets uncomfortable they just disassociate any negative feelings your causing. Yes they can drop you like a hot tato and NOT look back.

what i hear you saying is that they are open to hug attacks. excellent.

KDude

I think ISTJs and ESTJ males act cooler than me really. Not sure how to put it. I have some friends like that, and while we get along, I get that sense of.. "Tough crowd." I have to hold back laughter sometimes. They're uptight. It could be the lack of impulsiveness on their part.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) I don't take much of what others say about ISTP's seriously, especially when it comes to ISTP depth. THis type is the most difficult I've ever encountered to get to know on a very deep level. Hell, I think many ISTP's don't even know themselves on a deep level. Just because someone is uncomfortable or even incapeable of understanding and articulating their own emotions, DOES NOT mean they cease to exist. ISTP's (especially e9's) are HIGHLY sensitive to their own inner world, seaking peace and harmony at almost any cost. THe problem lies in their defense mechanism of disassociating. And again, just because they dissassociate DOES NOT mean that those emotions cease to exist, even though it might seem this way to ISTP and all on-lookers. No No No, they are still there, and tend manifest is some very pecular, REPRESSED ways.

This happened to me. I became quite dissociative. I learned to express my feelings, although I'm sure I am not winning any awards. :D I learned to allow my emotions to flow instead of trying to control them. In that way, I was able to get a better handle on them, and control them. I learned that you can't control a boiling pot with a lid on it. You have to take the lid off.
I was about 3 years into my relation before I caught this intuitively. Prior to that I blindly bought this emotionless malarkey the profiles cast off. And this next bit is not meant to be egotistical, know it all, "I have the key" shit.. but I absolutely believe that the ONLY reason I've been able to see into my ISTP as much as I have is because I am NF e4, who is tremendously motivated to understand the emotional landscape of those close to me, extract these findings and offer them up for self growth and actualization for my partner. Many other types are just not that motivated to put in this kind of time, energy, and understanding.. especially with ISTP because ISTP themselves wan't to operate at face-value.

I think it was probably appreciated.
2) It is my experience that ISTP 9's are far less likely to scrap, argue or involove themselves in anykind of hostile situation, moving back to that peace and harmony at any cost bit. However, E6 CP's DO. Since I only know 1 ISTP e6 CP fairly well, I don't feel like I have enough insight to add alot to this. All I can say is that there is a marked difference that seems to lie in e-type.

This is probably true. I could see 9's of any type being more subdued.

3) ISTP e9'and ISTP PH 6 is not usually the lone-wolf autonomy junkies that the profiles indicate. Every ISTP I've known has quite a history of relationships, and long term at that.

Me too. I started to think about exactly what "loner" meant.....
While the descriptions claim ISTP's tend to seek out those that operate similarly this is not what I've observed. Many ISTP's are drawn to partners that exhibit qualities the ISTP subconsciously lacks in themselves. Especially Extroversion and feeling. However, they do draw to people with similar life styles, especially hobbies. Hunting, automechanics, musical pursuits, hiking and sports, etc. You could say this about anytype though.

I have too, I date an entj. Yes, I do like to have friends who share my pursuits, and it's really where my interest lies when it comes to friends.
4) As far as ISTP's being egotistical, I disagree on this as well. What ISTP's DO have is a strong and unwavering belief that they are just as deserving as anyone else, and that NOBODY has a right to fuck with their inner mojo. THIS is why ISTP's can come across as uncaring and disconnected. Because if they see you cramping their style through needs, demands, or anything they deem inauthentic to themselves, they will lose you regardless of how much they care deep down. And its not hard for them because when it gets uncomfortable they just disassociate any negative feelings your causing. Yes they can drop you like a hot tato and NOT look back.

I don't disassociate anymore, because there are times when that catches up with you. I've learned better, for me. I would prefer to talk about matters, and discuss feelings, these days. I think not being in touch with my feelings and emotions was a detriment, and it made me more sensitive and touchy. The only way is "through". You can't be afraid and push others away, and you can't stave off the inevitable feelings, and pretend they don't exist at all. It will catch up with you. In my circumstance, I staved people off because they hurt me, or I was afraid to let them in. It comes across sometimes as being uncaring. As sx, it really wasn't a happy or healthy place for me. I'm still working on it.....
It sounds like the one you knew was not ready for a real relationship. (Believe me, he probably will look back later. ;) The feelings are there.)

I think some are egotistical. But that's just my own personal call..... many don't really like to be disagreed with, or told they are wrong.

Last edited:

KDude

I barely even date, so maybe I'm not even the right person to talk about those type of "feelings" at all. And I haven't always been expressive in relationships that I did have. I could have used more coaxing out probably. Ugh. And some of the ways that I did try to get that when younger are kind of embarassing.

But I'm beginning to think these might be issues of Fe. It's hard to just say I have no feelings at all. It's a huge leap to define lack of "Fe" as lacking feeling in it's totality. If I had a problem with that, then I'd be autistic. If I had no feeling, I couldn't even manage simple things, like kick back and look at the stars and enjoy myself. If I had no feeling, I couldn't really get much out of music. Let alone try to play it. Or if I did play it without feeling, it'd be some dispassionate Spock shit. But screw that, I like to rock out. That takes feeling (just for some everyday examples). And on top of that, I hate people who can't do this. Which is another feeling. lol

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I think ISTJs and ESTJ males act cooler than me really. Not sure how to put it. I have some friends like that, and while we get along, I get that sense of.. "Tough crowd." I have to hold back laughter sometimes. They're uptight. It could be the lack of impulsiveness on their part.

I def don't think they act cooler but they are more authoritative that's for sure. I'm pretty sure almost all the dudes on Jersey shore are SJ.

KDude

I def don't think they act cooler but they are more authoritative that's for sure. I'm pretty sure almost all the dudes on Jersey shore are SJ.

I've never seen that show. Authoritative may be one word for it, I guess. Do you remember that scene in Men in Black when Will Smith first signed up and was taking tests around those military dudes? I kind of feel like that sometimes. On the other hand, I'm close friends with some, and there's no authority between us. But they are cooler somehow. Stiff in a way. Even their posture. Maybe that's not even type related though.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTP Motto is "Who cares!" since it is very unfocused on working for the rigid societal systems. Rather, they do as they please!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I couldn't agree more. I hate the stereotypes that ISTP's can't be sensitive, and it is absolutely not my experience. After being romantically involoved with an ISTP for 5 years, living with him for 4, being very close to his ISTP best friend and the best friends wife, I have a much different view of ISTP. I have learned a few things.

3) ISTP e9'and ISTP PH 6 is not usually the lone-wolf autonomy junkies that the profiles indicate. Every ISTP I've known has quite a history of relationships, and long term at that. While the descriptions claim ISTP's tend to seek out those that operate similarly this is not what I've observed. Many ISTP's are drawn to partners that exhibit qualities the ISTP subconsciously lacks in themselves. Especially Extroversion and feeling. However, they do draw to people with similar life styles, especially hobbies. Hunting, automechanics, musical pursuits, hiking and sports, etc. You could say this about anytype though.

LOL...its easier to claim ESTP these days. Its part of disassociating from all the crap I dont want to deal with in this world and just always moving and pushing forward like an ESTP does. I just lack the ESTP social skills/desire which makes me an ESTP loner. I can look back as long as I am dissasociated and just keep moving forward.

Its all about what really matters in this world and just holding onto that. Thats what I hold close to me these days, thats what I wont let go of as I push forward. People in my life at this stage can be left in my wake. It may hurt me in the long run, but at this stage in my life, all I really care about is moving forward. Looking for what I want in this world and letting go of all the crap.

What it comes down to is..."I am not settling these days"...I am going after what I want...and I am done going after that in one particular person I like...so I will find the person that provides what I want and not the crap. I may die trying, but its better then dealing with the crap I have dealt with.