• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP Motto

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I'm using this definition: "Quick to detect or respond to slight changes, signals, or influences: "spiders are sensitive to vibrations on their web"."

That's sensing not emotional, what does that definition have to do with your argument? Someone who is not keen with disagreements is emotionally sensitive.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's sensing not emotional, what does that definition have to do with your argument? Someone who is not keen with disagreements is emotionally sensitive.

That's the definition of "sensitve" I am using. So when I said "sensitive", that's what I meant.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I....It seems that more simple things bother STP's moreso than other types, like disagreements. I think that's my point about ego issues.... STP's seem to get into "scuffles" easily, more like a pissing match. Or they want to "one-up" each other. What do you think?

I got more into enneagrams early, and barely have any background in mbti, so.....

Here you are clearly describing STPs as emotionally sensitive not "sensing" sensitive. How is that what you meant?

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here you are clearly describing STPs as emotionally sensitive not "sensing" sensitive. How is that what you meant?

Yea, that too...... disagreements do seem to bother some STP's. I think that may be tied to the "territorial" issues, though..... sometimes. I'm not really sure, yet. Pretty much just exploring it...... But the ego thing is still something for me to think about. The pissing matches and scuffles..... which I have been involved in too. I think it all may be more territorial issues. Any thoughts on the scuffles or pissing matches? I think the "sensitive" would still mean "quick to respond", and yes, sometimes in an emotional way. I know my dad was quick to respond, territorial, and emotional at times over it. I have been as well, and I've seen other STP's here do the same thing. (Some of them, to me! lol).
Mentioning maturity levels was a good point, but since it seems that some STP's never grow up, it seems to be a part of them. ;)

KDude

I've gotten in plenty of pissing matches. I admit it. Not necessarily obnoxious or rowdy, but things have/can/do bother me. Even younger, I'd end up in fights a lot. I try to be cool, but if I have something to say, I say it. I think people who act too calm about everything are usually careless. Or trying to be buddha or something.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've gotten in plenty of pissing matches. I admit it. Not necessarily obnoxious or rowdy, but things have/can/do bother me. Even younger, I'd end up in fights a lot. I try to be cool, but if I have something to say, I say it. I think people who act too calm about everything are usually careless. Or trying to be buddha or something.

Me too, in the past. I've started to calm down as I get older, but, I still have my moments.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whether a situation is reacted to with anger or sadness it is still an emotional reaction. Yet showing anger is not viewed as "being emotional". I consider it the same thing. When we are expressing anger or sadness we are therefore sensitive to whatever triggered our responses. So we all are sensitive in different areas. We are all callous in others.

G

Ginkgo

• What is always comes before whats defined
  • I am who I am
  • To live in the moment means to not remember what you did earlier today and not have a clue what your gonna do tomorrow

Everyone has a little ISTP in them, but when someone says you are super ISTP it means you must have found the box you fit in...but to be ISTP means you really dont care...stay out of my box...only non-istps allowed...I dont believe in group mentality...I believe in my mentality...as screwed up as it is...love it or leave it.

And to be honest I wont be back to read comments, I just felt like posting this in a relevant location.:bye:

Do it Yourself.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Whether a situation is reacted to with anger or sadness it is still an emotional reaction. Yet showing anger is not viewed as "being emotional". I consider it the same thing. When we are expressing anger or sadness we are therefore sensitive to whatever triggered our responses. So we all are sensitive in different areas. We are all callous in others.

You don't react to everything you sense you're just aware of it. Sometimes you can react if you choose to, your awareness of your surroundings might cause you to react to things more than others.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You don't react to everything you sense you're just aware of it. Sometimes you can react if you choose to, your awareness of your surroundings might cause you to react to things more than others.

One thing is that it's almost impossible for me to tell the difference between someone who doesn't react emotionally and someone who feels apathetic.

KDude

One thing is that it's almost impossible for me to tell the difference between someone who doesn't react emotionally and someone who feels apathetic.

It's hard for me to express the type of emotiveness some want, even if I'm not apathetic. Hard to explain, I guess. You could give a simple "yes" or "no" answer in support for someone, and they can still be sensitive about it. "Fine, just tell me you don't care."

Well, maybe not that sensitive, but it can be something along those lines. What it is though is someone seeking Fe, I think. And I suppose IFPs can still express that, if necessary. ITPs, not so much.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's hard for me to express the type of emotiveness some want, even if I'm not apathetic. Hard to explain, I guess. You could give a simple "yes" or "no" answer in support for someone, and they can still be sensitive about it. "Fine, just tell me you don't care."

Well, maybe not that sensitive, but it can be something along those lines. What it is though is someone seeking Fe, I think. And I suppose IFPs can still express that, if necessary. ITPs, not so much.

I see. I dunno, with some people (like yourself and jix) I can tell that it isn't apathy but more a lack of a reaction. With others I can't tell so much. In those cases, I think maybe there's nothing there. It's hard to explain. Sometimes you can not react or say anything but a sentiment permeates the air somehow. Body language and the eyes are a big communicator too.

KDude

I see. I dunno, with some people (like yourself and jix) I can tell that it isn't apathy but more a lack of a reaction. With others I can't tell so much. In those cases, I think maybe there's nothing there. It's hard to explain. Sometimes you can not react or say anything but a sentiment permeates the air somehow. Body language and the eyes are a big communicator too.

I know what you mean when there's nothing there too. My advice is just pay attention to people's overall actions to you. Not just react to how they are on the surface/in the moment. If you have a friend that isn't very expressive, but still helpful in general, then don't doubt it. Otherwise, to hell with everyone else.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think ISTPs are very "sensitive" people, I think they are sensitive when somebody crosses the line they are more in tune with their environment so they might notice it more than other people. For the most part ISTPs are known to be quite emotionally stable and aloof. In terms of acting disrespectful as long as you understand the other persons boundaries and the other person understands your boundaries then that is all that matters which is not dependent on type.

hmm...maybe that's why people who have such varying emotional states. uh, "drama" wig me out.

KDude

Fi or Ti has little to do with emotional stability. It's irrelevant.

Also, my cat is aloof. Maybe I'll type her ISTP too. If only she had a 44 magnum and a giant swinging dick.. like Clint Eastwood or something. Then she'd be picture perfect.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Fi or Ti has little to do with emotional stability. It's irrelevant.

Also, my cat is aloof. Maybe I'll type her ISTP too. If only she had a 44 magnum and a giant swinging dick.. like Clint Eastwood or something. Then she'd be picture perfect.

It does have something to do with emotional stability. I had an ISFP friend on my soccer team who always went ape shit when things got intense on the field. I find F types react to other people emotions and get too emotional themselves. With me when things get intense I still try and keep my cool, this is more T type behaviour. It's not that I'm not feeling the intensity of the game or people around me it's more that I'm not paying attention to it because I know it will screw up mental state, so I'll repress it for the time being.

KDude

It does have something to do with emotional stability. I had an ISFP friend on my soccer team who always went ape shit when things got intense on the field. I find F types react to other people emotions and get too emotional themselves. With me when things get intense I still try and keep my cool, this is more T type behaviour. It's not that I'm not feeling the intensity of the game or people around me it's more that I'm not paying attention to it because I know it will screw up mental state, so I'll repress it for the time being.

Not sure I can address sports. I've never really been that intense about them. They've primarily been for fun. When I was younger, I'd get down about losses, but never the opposite.. never intense about winning. Even besides sports, if it was something I could just do for myself. Like skateboarding.. I kind of intentionally limited my skills there, and just did what I thought was fun.

I'm getting off the point though. I can still go apeshit when my competence is questioned about things I care about. It just has to be personal. I think anyone is susceptible to this. Maybe your friend is more personal about sports. For the rest of us, it could take something else. It's hard to believe you wouldn't have any motivation for flipping out on someone. That you're the same way no matter what the issue.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Not sure I can address sports. I've never really been that intense about them. They've primarily been for fun. When I was younger, I'd get down about losses, but never the opposite.. never intense about winning. Granted, some of the team sports were sort of forced/expected from my dad.. but even when I chose my own, I paced myself. Like skateboarding.. I almost intentionally limited my skills to things I only found fun. I liked jumping gaps and high ollies, but sucked at kick/hellflips, and had little intention to better myself. I have a friend who was super intense about learning.. the kind of guy who'd sit around for hours until he got it right. He was annoying when he did this. I just wanted to skate, then go home for awhile, and whatever. Not ever be the best.

I'm getting off the point though. I can still go apeshit when my competence is questioned about things I care about. It just has to be personal. I think any is susceptible to this. Maybe your friend is more personal about sports. For the rest of us, it could take something else. It's hard to believe you wouldn't have any motivation for flipping out on someone. That you're the same way no matter what the issue.

I think you've kind of missed my point, which is F types react and are more sensitive to other peoples emotions more so than T types. F types really pay attention to emotions and will ignore reason over it. This is why women are so predominately F, they have to be because they need to react to their child's needs accordingly, It's crucial for their children's survival. When things get personal I can and cannot keep my cool it all depends, I know when I was younger I wasn't able to keep cool as I am today. I know there were alot of times when I've suppressed alot of my emotions because my mind took over and said "this is a stupid thing to do right now" so I followed that voice even when things got really intense. In a way I admire F types because they seem more free, they express themselves more freely.

KDude

This is why women are so predominately F, they have to be because they need to react to their child's needs accordingly, It's crucial for their children's survival.

lol.. if only my mom was one of these women. i might have learned better survival skills. j/k

When things get personal I can and cannot keep my cool it all depends, I know when I was younger I wasn't able to keep cool as I am today. I know there were alot of times when I've suppressed alot of my emotions because my mind took over and said "this is a stupid thing to do right now" so I followed that voice even when things got really intense.

Yeah, I'm much better too. I think it's a mix of being afraid of law, with some internal motivation. I did not know how to suppress very much when I was young though. Very impulsive. Stupid shit would put my pride on the line, and I'd convince myself something had to be done/said right then.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's the definition of "sensitve" I am using. So when I said "sensitive", that's what I meant.

I couldn't agree more. I hate the stereotypes that ISTP's can't be sensitive, and it is absolutely not my experience. After being romantically involoved with an ISTP for 5 years, living with him for 4, being very close to his ISTP best friend and the best friends wife, I have a much different view of ISTP. I have learned a few things.

1) I don't take much of what others say about ISTP's seriously, especially when it comes to ISTP depth. THis type is the most difficult I've ever encountered to get to know on a very deep level. Hell, I think many ISTP's don't even know themselves on a deep level. Just because someone is uncomfortable or even incapeable of understanding and articulating their own emotions, DOES NOT mean they cease to exist. ISTP's (especially e9's) are HIGHLY sensitive to their own inner world, seaking peace and harmony at almost any cost. THe problem lies in their defense mechanism of disassociating. And again, just because they dissassociate DOES NOT mean that those emotions cease to exist, even though it might seem this way to ISTP and all on-lookers. No No No, they are still there, and tend manifest is some very pecular, REPRESSED ways.

I was about 3 years into my relation before I caught this intuitively. Prior to that I blindly bought this emotionless malarkey the profiles cast off. And this next bit is not meant to be egotistical, know it all, "I have the key" shit.. but I absolutely believe that the ONLY reason I've been able to see into my ISTP as much as I have is because I am NF e4, who is tremendously motivated to understand the emotional landscape of those close to me, extract these findings and offer them up for self growth and actualization for my partner. Many other types are just not that motivated to put in this kind of time, energy, and understanding.. especially with ISTP because ISTP themselves wan't to operate at face-value.

2) It is my experience that ISTP 9's are far less likely to scrap, argue or involove themselves in anykind of hostile situation, moving back to that peace and harmony at any cost bit. However, E6 CP's DO. Since I only know 1 ISTP e6 CP fairly well, I don't feel like I have enough insight to add alot to this. All I can say is that there is a marked difference that seems to lie in e-type.

3) ISTP e9'and ISTP PH 6 is not usually the lone-wolf autonomy junkies that the profiles indicate. Every ISTP I've known has quite a history of relationships, and long term at that. While the descriptions claim ISTP's tend to seek out those that operate similarly this is not what I've observed. Many ISTP's are drawn to partners that exhibit qualities the ISTP subconsciously lacks in themselves. Especially Extroversion and feeling. However, they do draw to people with similar life styles, especially hobbies. Hunting, automechanics, musical pursuits, hiking and sports, etc. You could say this about anytype though.

4) As far as ISTP's being egotistical, I disagree on this as well. What ISTP's DO have is a strong and unwavering belief that they are just as deserving as anyone else, and that NOBODY has a right to fuck with their inner mojo. THIS is why ISTP's can come across as uncaring and disconnected. Because if they see you cramping their style through needs, demands, or anything they deem inauthentic to themselves, they will lose you regardless of how much they care deep down. And its not hard for them because when it gets uncomfortable they just disassociate any negative feelings your causing. Yes they can drop you like a hot tato and NOT look back.