• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFP is not an art appreciator

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yep that totally makes sense, it's just that Fi/Se (or Se/Fi) tends to appreciate aesthetics in general or at least sensory impact, so I'm pretty sure with many ISFPs that goes beyond nature.

You mean, metaphysically beyond nature? No. You must mean "other things besides nature," just as the ISFP also appreciates things beyond art. But if you also look at their taste in art, it is not of the abstract but more natural kind of depictions.

It is easy enough simply to describe the ISFP as attracted to the beauty in things, whether they involve artistic animal expressions or live examples of natural products. It is more than an attraction, it seeks a primal attachment involving a sense of unity with the object being appreciated. The ISFP seeks out (sometimes by creating) that which invokes this sense of oneness expressed inwardly as a feeling-state.

Some might call this a natural high. And that's another reason for choosing the double rainbow guy video as an example, as he is obviously experiencing an altered or "higher" state of consciousness in a very authentic sense.

I like this ISFP description, which is a mix of Keirsey with input from several other sources, and it pretty much makes ISFP sound like what one would call "the artistic temperament" in an old fashioned sense of the word i.e. a very emotional, passionate, sometimes too impulsive or reactive person who is strongly aware of their senses.

Very much into the senses, although the external senses only provide the input. The primary goal of the ISFP's psychological life is the inner feeling-state of merger, unity, oneness. They seek this in various ways. Some, like double rainbow guy, go out into the wilderness; some become beach bums in hawaii; some turn to artistic expressions; and oftentimes, getting stoned is a vector for furthering this feeling of merger.

The Exuberant Personality. I very much relate to this description, more than any I've ever read.

The name "Exuberant" sounds too extraverted, whereas the page describes them as more ambiverted. But the traits listed do match up well with the ISFP description.

On the other hand, I'm sure many t.v. watching couch potatoes are ISFPs too, and since there are SO MANY ISFPs, obviously they're going to have different levels of intelligence and education.

I like the nature child thing, though, don't get me wrong. It's one of the primary things I like/resonate with about non-cognitive ISFP descriptions.

I don't know what cognitive ISFP descriptions look like. Fi/Se? A playful-P nature is necessary to break free of the routines of daily existence which always tend to detract from the feeling-state of unity with nature and beauty. So that's one reason not to give up the MBTI altogether, it provides certain reasonings that aren't found in analytical explanations.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I hate abstract art. I'm borderline dismissive of it as even being art or a real talent. I like highly detailed paintings of people, places, and events from various times in history, plus a little impressionism.

Yes, when I said "beyond nature" I meant other than nature.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate abstract art. I'm borderline dismissive of it as even being art or a real talent. I like highly detailed paintings of people, places, and events from various times in history, plus a little impressionism.

Yes, when I said "beyond nature" I meant other than nature.

So what do you think of the Technoviking painting I have as a display pic?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So what do you think of the Technoviking painting I have as a display pic?

I think it's ugly, too drab, but I think techno viking is funny so there's humor in that.

I guess abstract art is cool if you use a lot of color, so that it's attractive or soothing, but some of it just looks like...anybody could do it. And I mean, it's good for people to express themselves, don't get me wrong....I think it's cool for any person to express themselves even if they don't have real talent.

But I don't comprehend paying money for something that is just a row of colored boxes, or looks like an 8th grader could have drawn it.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISFP is not an art appreciator

Cheat sheet:

vukvidor_arthistory.jpg

Art History by Vuk Vidor

wolfy

awsm
On here most of the isfp seem to have an affinity for art. Nature too. Me, I like music and I like dance. I like design and making things but I don't feel like sitting down and expressing myself through art. I think I would be expressing myself mostly by the way I use my body.

The aspect of isfp, that they need to express Fi through Se, or feelings and emotions through movement is probably true. But, how many ways are there of doing that?

It's really the need to express yourself than art. That's the whole point, the combination of Fi and Se. Values being expressed to the physical world.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
On here most of the isfp seem to have an affinity for art. Nature too. Me, I like music and I like dance. I like design and making things but I don't feel like sitting down and expressing myself through art. I think I would be expressing myself mostly by the way I use my body.

The aspect of isfp, that they need to express Fi through Se, or feelings and emotions through movement is probably true. But, how many ways are there of doing that?

It's really the need to express yourself than art. That's the whole point, the combination of Fi and Se. Values being expressed to the physical world.

I guess that's why people learn towards the expression of fin art and music for isfps. I have the same tendency by wanting to express myself through music and I'm not ISFP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://mbtitruths.blogspot.com/2009/06/in-depth-analysis-of-16-mbti.html
ISFP "Artisans - SP - Sensing Perceiving - Simple Pleasure-seekers: Artisans are the definition of fun and enjoyment, but they really won't like you much if you don't appear to want to have fun. When you want to do something fun and enjoyable, seek out the company of these people."

An artisan by definition is just a skilled manual laborer. I agree with the label "artisan" for ISFP. But I think some time in the past some dummy thought 'artisan' meant 'artistic.'

wolfy

awsm
ISFP "Artisans - SP - Sensing Perceiving - Simple Pleasure-seekers: Artisans are the definition of fun and enjoyment, but they really won't like you much if you don't appear to want to have fun. When you want to do something fun and enjoyable, seek out the company of these people."

An artisan by definition is just a skilled manual laborer. I agree with the label "artisan" for ISFP. But I think some time in the past some dummy thought 'artisan' meant 'artistic.'

"In depth" Really?

What do you mean an artisan is just a skilled manual labourer. Do you feel you can't express yourself through a trade?

What's the point of your post anyway?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm.. I don't think of ISFP's as being artists in the sense that they are sitting around in art galleries staring at paint splatters on a white board and trying to figure out what it's all about. I think of a (good) ISFP out in a forest or in nature taking pictures and feeling connected with their surroundings. Basically taking something very real and turning it into a meaningful and artistic personal experience. Art in museums can be cold and have little meaning to the viewer/ evoke little emotion, but when you take something that means a lot to you, connecting experiences with something beautiful, you can become a wonderful appreciator of the art that your surroundings have to offer. (and put those experiences together to create something nice as well.) That's why they are artists, and not art appreciators on paper. (What do they mean by "art appreciator anyways? Everything around you can be art, they can't judge who's thinking artistically and who is just sitting around and talking out their asses about somebody's naked sculpture.)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"In depth" Really?

What do you mean an artisan is just a skilled manual labourer. Do you feel you can't express yourself through a trade?

I knew someone would mention the "in depth" part.

I probably won't respond if you ask about the "point" of my post. I started this thread after all.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"In depth" Really?

Yeah, Wolfy. Mal's right. I mean, anyone can go downtown and create a beautiful personal mural for a wall on a main building. That is just skilled manual labor. I mean, I'll just practice for a few days and, voila, an exotic aquarium will emerge out of my paint brush. ANYONE can do that, silly!!! It takes skill to be the one who walks down there to appreciate it. ISFP's just can't walk down there to appreciate that mural- they don't know how, they are strictly refined to making the mural.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm.. I don't think of ISFP's as being artists in the sense that they are sitting around in art galleries staring at paint splatters on a white board and trying to figure out what it's all about. I think of a (good) ISFP out in a forest or in nature taking pictures and feeling connected with their surroundings. Basically taking something very real and turning it into a meaningful and artistic personal experience. Art in museums can be cold and have little meaning to the viewer/ evoke little emotion, but when you take something that means a lot to you, connecting experiences with something beautiful, you can become a wonderful appreciator of the art that your surroundings have to offer. (and put those experiences together to create something nice as well.) That's why they are artists, and not art appreciators on paper. (What do they mean by "art appreciator anyways? Everything around you can be art, they can't judge who's thinking artistically and who is just sitting around and talking out their asses about somebody's naked sculpture.)

There's my point. An art appreciator discusses the basic ideas behind various art forms. I don't imagine very many ISFP's doing this, although some might.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's my point. An art appreciator discusses the basic ideas behind various art forms. I don't imagine very many ISFP's doing this, although some might.

Yeah, but I'm also saying that the SP arthouse is an arthouse because it's full of artists, not art appreciators. Creating art is not skilled manual labor, it's a talent.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, Wolfy. Mal's right. I mean, anyone can go downtown and create a beautiful personal mural for a wall on a main building. That is just skilled manual labor. I mean, I'll just practice for a few days and, voila, an exotic aquarium will emerge out of my paint brush. ANYONE can do that, silly!!! It takes skill to be the one who walks down there to appreciate it. ISFP's just can't walk down there to appreciate that mural- they don't know how, they are strictly refined to making the mural.

Artisanship can involve many forms of craftwork. The ISFP is the hands on type, as you said. The ISFP as a type is not going to stand around looking at or appreciating a mural or a museum painting for very long. The ISFP is primarily a doer.

wolfy

awsm
I don't think I'm an artist or an art appreciator. At least not especially. Except for the time I stuck toothpicks in a potato and called it a hedgehog.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, but I'm also saying that the SP arthouse is an arthouse because it's full of artists, not art appreciators. Creating art is not skilled manual labor, it's a talent.

ISFP's may create art in a broad sense of the word. Calligraphy is an art but not an art form. Or they may create real art.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It doesn't matter what the word technically means in this case. MBTI people meant for artisan to mean artistic- many of these people have specific artistic talents. Art appreciators aren't "artistic", they are art appreciators. Artisans, (in the case of MBTI) are often artists, which makes them artistic, which is why they are artists who are underrepresented in appreciating art (and likely overrepresented in creating art.)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It doesn't matter what the word technically means in this case. MBTI people meant for artisan to mean artistic- many of these people have specific artistic talents. Art appreciators aren't "artistic", they are art appreciators. Artisans, (in the case of MBTI) are often artists, which makes them artistic, which is why they are artists who are underrepresented in appreciating art (and likely overrepresented in creating art.)

I am covertly criticizing the name of this sub-forum. Arthouse? What is that? The house that Art built?

An art house is an art studio, a place where artists hang out painting nudes, like gym dudes hanging out at the gym sculpting their bodies.

This terminology confuses the SP in general with an artistic type. I think they are usually hands on and crafty, sometimes artistic and talented, and sometimes artistic and not-so-talented.