• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Are ISFPs more N-ish than INFPs?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this is just speculation, but the more I look at them, the more ISFPs look like Ns and INFPs sometimes look more S
the vibes I get from generally go something like this

INFP
- I want to help people
- I want to make the world a better place
- why don't people help each other more?
- I do what I think is right, but I would prefer it if we all just got along
general theme: people

ISFP
- I am independent, I march to the beat of my own drum
- do your thing, fuck the haters, they don't matter (albeit, they don't explicitly say this, it's very subtly implied, but definitely there)
- I do what I think is right, if that makes me a rebel, so be it. conformists irritate me
general theme: independence

I'm not saying that INFPs are not independent (they're usually very independent) but ISFPs seem like they're more adamant about their independence most of the time. INFPs to me seem more cooperative and communal; ISFPs are lone wolves most of the time (even ISFPs who are Social subtype like Michael Jackson). with ISFPs, it's almost the first vibe I get from them

general trend: ISFPs seem adamant about most of the things that Ns are all about like independent thinking and not following the herd because they are highly introspective. INFPs can sometimes seem like Sensors because they tend to be service oriented and cooperative

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is one of the things I noticed when I was reading Keirsey is that I related more to the SFP independence than the NFP human resources/social work...god I mean really??...but I really don't think that being fiercely independent is an "N" thing and no it doesn't make sense to say ISFPs are more N than INFPs.

Being independent or different doesn't really have anything to do with being an N. That's one of the wonderful misconceptions of the Internet, and why soooo many Sensors are mistyped as Intuitives because they've been told that N = SMRT and UNIQUE.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol what? no. and according to your lists i'm an isfp (i'm not).

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this is just speculation, but the more I look at them, the more ISFPs look like Ns and INFPs sometimes look more S

INFP
- I want to help people

ISFP
- do your thing, fuck the haters, they don't matter (albeit, they don't explicitly say this, it's very subtly implied, but definitely there)
- I do what I think is right, if that makes me a rebel, so be it. conformists irritate me

I'm not saying that INFPs are not independent (they're usually very independent) but ISFPs seem like they're more adamant about their independence most of the time. INFPs to me seem more cooperative and communal; ISFPs are lone wolves most of the time (even ISFPs who are Social subtype like Michael Jackson)

conclusion: ISFPs seem adamant about most of the things that Ns are all about like independent thinking and not following the herd

I don't know if they are more "N", however, ISFP's have struck me as the "N"est S's- sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between the two. ISFP's have that daydreamy quality to them.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I don't think the "independence" thing has anything at all to do with being N.

I thought at first that this thread said something like "are ISFPs the most N of the SPs," which I might well have agreed with.

The whole N/S thing can be so nebulous and very hard to pick up on in another person, particularly if you don't know them well.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

INFP
- I want to help people

ISFP

I'm not saying that INFPs are not independent (they're usually very independent) but ISFPs seem like they're more adamant about their independence most of the time. INFPs to me seem more cooperative and communal; ISFPs are lone wolves most of the time (even ISFPs who are Social subtype like Michael Jackson)

conclusion: ISFPs seem adamant about most of the things that Ns are all about like independent thinking and not following the herd

The difference you describe appears to be a cooperative vs. pragmatic thing rather than a S vs. N thing. Kiersey describes NFs and SJs as cooperative and SPs and NTs as pragmatic.

I have seen ISFPs care alot about other people and wanting others to get along as well as INFPs who stick to their values regardless of what others think. So this cooperative/pragmatic difference isn't everything.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only my opinion of course and there's a whole spectrum within type..... but one thing I have noticed with INFP's I know irl is that they seem to be more particular, and prone to routine than ISFP's - i.e. liking to go and do the same things without tiring of it, and liking things done in certain ways, even if they don't verbalize that preference. It's like, you know that preference is there. So in that sense ISFP's I think come across more laid back and in some ways, more experimental/open/flexible to change in their lives.

I always attributed this to Si in INFP's which results in preference for familiarity and in some cases resistance to newness, vs. Se in ISFP's. This isn't to say some of that in INFP's isn't counterbalanced by Ne, but it's just a peculiar thing I've noticed about INFP's - not obvious, as on the surface they seem very laidback - but rather, when you get to know them more, it seems they are very rigid and, well, particular in certain details and things. Also seem to not need the 'newness' of experience nearly as much as ISFP's; so externally INFP's can seem more routine. Routine in action; I'm not speaking of internal world/thought.

Sunny Ghost

I don't know if those are really S/N things you've listed. How is independence a more intuitive thing?

However, generally types that lead with T or F, will have closer S and N. And vice versa. Like, ESxJ's for example that lead via Te or Fe, usually demonstrate pretty equally in Si and Ne.

Sunny Ghost

Only my opinion of course and there's a whole spectrum within type..... but one thing I have noticed with INFP's I know irl is that they seem to be more particular, and prone to routine than ISFP's - i.e. liking to go and do the same things without tiring of it, and liking things done in certain ways, even if they don't verbalize that preference. It's like, you know that preference is there. So in that sense ISFP's I think come across more laid back and in some ways, more experimental/open/flexible to change in their lives.

I always attributed this to Si in INFP's which results in preference for familiarity and in some cases resistance to newness, vs. Se in ISFP's. This isn't to say some of that in INFP's isn't counterbalanced by Ne, but it's just a peculiar thing I've noticed about INFP's - not obvious, as on the surface they seem very laidback - but rather, when you get to know them more, it seems they are very rigid and, well, particular in certain details and things. Also seem to not need the 'newness' of experience nearly as much as ISFP's; so externally INFP's can seem more routine. Routine in action; I'm not speaking of internal world/thought.

Agreed! Having dated an INFP for many years, this is one of the traits that used to piss me and my Se off at times.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The difference you describe appears to be a cooperative vs. pragmatic thing rather than a S vs. N thing. Kiersey describes NFs and SJs as cooperative and SPs and NTs as pragmatic.

I have seen ISFPs care alot about other people and wanting others to get along as well as INFPs who stick to their values regardless of what others think. So this cooperative/pragmatic difference isn't everything.

I think this is it. pragmatic comes across as more N to me even though it's not and S comes across as more cooperative (ESPs at least come across as cooperative, ISPs don't)

A

Anew Leaf

INFP
- I want to help people

ISFP

Uh, no.

Here is a small sum-up:
Your description of ISFP sounds far more of a description of Fi.
I don't think a "general" theme of INFPs is people. Hahaha. No.

Also, you have to take a grain of salt in typing other people. Odds are that you are not 100% accurate with every person you label as being INFP or ISFP.

And there is really no way that an iSfp is going to be more "N" than an iNfp. That sentance makes no sense! It's comparing apples to boomerangs. You need a common denominator to draw a comparsion from. :wacko:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is one of the things I noticed when I was reading Keirsey is that I related more to the SFP independence than the NFP human resources/social work...god I mean really??...but I really don't think that being fiercely independent is an "N" thing and no it doesn't make sense to say ISFPs are more N than INFPs.

Being independent or different doesn't really have anything to do with being an N. That's one of the wonderful misconceptions of the Internet, and why soooo many Sensors are mistyped as Intuitives because they've been told that N = SMRT and UNIQUE.

honestly I think the strongest correlation with independence has to do with whether one has Fi or Fe :yes: Fe by it's nature is a very social function; Fi says "I do it MY way"
that's not to say that Fe users can't be independent, but if they are, they are independent via strong use of another functinon (say Ni, Ti or Ne).
that being said, the I think ISFPs are the most N of the Ss because they seem to be the most introspective. I think Fi kinda forces one to introspect and think of things conceptually because it needs to have it's own opinions/believes on things as opposed to adopting them like Fe users do (Ti probably does this as well in ISTPs) when I first got into MBTI, I had 2 ISFP acquaintances typed as INTJ :D

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Uh, no.

Here is a small sum-up:
Your description of ISFP sounds far more of a description of Fi.
I don't think a "general" theme of INFPs is people. Hahaha. No.

Also, you have to take a grain of salt in typing other people. Odds are that you are not 100% accurate with every person you label as being INFP or ISFP.

And there is really no way that an iSfp is going to be more "N" than an iNfp. That sentance makes no sense! It's comparing apples to boomerangs. You need a common denominator to draw a comparsion from. :wacko:

that's not really what I meant, but I didn't word it very well so I'm going to edit it

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yeah, I've noticed that too.

A

Anew Leaf

INFP
- I want to help people

ISFP

I'm not saying that INFPs are not independent (they're usually very independent) but ISFPs seem like they're more adamant about their independence most of the time. INFPs to me seem more cooperative and communal; ISFPs are lone wolves most of the time (even ISFPs who are Social subtype like Michael Jackson). with ISFPs, it's almost the first vibe I get from them

general trend: ISFPs seem adamant about most of the things that Ns are all about like independent thinking and not following the herd because they are highly introspective. INFPs can sometimes seem like Sensors because they tend to be service oriented and cooperative

I think the problem with your argument is that it is based on random generalizations rather than anything real. You just created a "definition" out of thin air about what "N's" are and then you create random ideas of what INFPs and ISFPs are, and then you form them together like a jello version of Voltron. It just doesn't work in this case. I don't see a pattern here.

I would say that SO INFPs are going to be more socially/peoplely minded than SX or SP versions of an ISFP. The same holds true for the reverse.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the problem with your argument is that it is based on random generalizations rather than anything real. You just created a "definition" out of thin air about what "N's" are and then you create random ideas of what INFPs and ISFPs are, and then you form them together like a jello version of Voltron. It just doesn't work in this case. I don't see a pattern here.

I would say that SO INFPs are going to be more socially/peoplely minded than SX or SP versions of an ISFP. The same holds true for the reverse.

tell you what, I'm gonna think about how to word this better for awhile (this thread was created on a bizarre, poorly structured Ne impulse)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see this at all. Concerning my ISFP step-dad and myself, I am closer to your ISFP example & he to the INFP. However, in reality, we both have both sides at different times to varying degrees. Those categories aren't as mutually exclusive as you make them out to be.

I would say that this sounds a bit like Fi-dom e9 vs. Fi-dom e4 again, except that 9s can be loners & healthier 4s become less self-absorbed.

The thing is, I also don't see any correlation with people being helpful & people-focused with S and correlation with people being independent loners with N. If this is born out of Keirsey's crappy behavioral generalizations, then I have nothing to say....

They must have crap Ne because I don't relate to this at all..... I loathe routine. Left to my own devices, my life becomes downright chaotic because I'm so naturally resistant to it. I see the quite the opposite again with my ISFP step-dad & myself; he's less open to new stuff. I'll try new food, new styles of clothes, etc. He's very much about what is comfortable to him. Again, I actually thought this was our e4/9 differences (and being young vs middle-aged). He wants peace & comfort, and I seek self-expression & strangeness.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Er, I'm so guilty of that. I have default options. Particularly with food and certain daily rituals. I mean I'm up for new things....but unless prompted, I will have the same thing from the same restaurant. I'll have the same thing for breakfast, and the same thing for lunch. Apparently you can set a timer based on me and certain habits of mine too. I was not aware this until some one pointed it out to me. It's kinda OCD in a way.
One thing I will say, is I've been told I'm a dark horse...I will suddenly desire change, and do it on impulse with no lead up.
It's slightly more dramatic than changing for the hell of it all the time. Plus I like ham and cheese toasted sandwiches.
ISFP's have that sensual thing going on,they like the novelty of physical change, INFP's don't require changes in Physical environment so much, we are more inclined to philosophical change, the stimulus of New theories etc, or at least I am. INFP are more about independence of thought....ISFP's are about independence of expression and voice. It's much more tangible and obvious.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn

Also, and this is really obvious in some ISFPs: tertiary Ni. One of the people that I feel resembles me most is probably an ISFP.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OA,
I don't think I have crap Ne. I require a hell of lot of intellectual stimulus, and my job is not routine at all, but I do have strong preference for things....and habitual quirks. I mean I've worn the same perfume since I was 17, but my life is not routine by any stretch of the imagination. I just have little anchors of farmilarity.