• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] 10 Signs that you are an ISTP

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
My younger brother is an ISTP. He plays soccer and video games a lot. He also reads a lot those fantasy type books, like Harry Potter and Narnia and what-not (as a joke I just call anything like that "dragon books.") He doesn't "make" conversation, he talks when he wants to, and it's always about stuff he's interested in, a bit less talkative than I am. Seeing my brother not talk around people is just hilarious. He's pretty smart, motivated too. Most of my siblings/cousins are Sensors, which I actually appreciate.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well If he's willing to waste his time talking and texting you then he probably likes you. I can't speak for other ISTP's, but I'm not really much on relating to other people, unless I'm gonna try to get something out of the deal.

My wife "Lookin4theBestNU" says I should change "waste his time" to "invest his time". I'm not sure why though.

your wife is tactful, that's why lol tell her thanks.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
^
^^
^^^
^^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^

What a perfectly good way to ruin a topic, with serious, educated, introspective crap
I guess we found that sterotypical ISTP.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
1 - Whenever you take the Myers Briggs test, you come out as an ISTP.
2 - When reading descriptions of the sixteen types, the one titled ISTP is the one you relate to most.
3 - You haven't yet realised that a crawlspace isn't the best long term option for dumping bodies.
4 - You hate me for even daring to post on an ISTP thread and are plotting the best way to kill me.
5 - You're thinking about sex right.................now.
6 - You're the one that set fire to that school that was on the news.
7 - You're thinking about sex again.
8 - Sex
9 - Sex
10 - The sex one again.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
4. You are actually happy when your computer breaks because you get to fix it.

5. Contrary to# 4, you get tired of your friend, aunt, uncle. etc. asking you to fix their computer, TV, etc. for the millionth time.

:rofl1:

:blush: It's not true!! Honest it's not true!!!

:doh: It seems so... illogical when put in black and white and yet makes so much sense when it happens..

Oh and it appears I'm quite the ISTP... either that or INTP and ISTP are damn close!

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
My brother's an ISTP, and I will answer for him the following:
1. Every time you see Briggs Myers you think of Briggs & Stratton.

He doesn't know who Briggs Meyers is.

2. You own a tool for every occasion.

My brother insists that he doesn't care about mechanical parts and stuff, but hell, he loves his little green screwdriver a lot.

3. When you were young you wanted to be a: master thief, assassin, ninja, pilot, race car driver, etc.

Yup, yup and yup.

My brother works as a computer technician. He's 13.

5. Contrary to# 4, you get tired of your friend, aunt, uncle. etc. asking you to fix their computer, TV, etc. for the millionth time.

Yeah. My mom and I always ask him to fix the internet for us when it stops working, and he swears at us (me).

6. Although to strangers you appear to be a risk taker, you know that everything is under control.

When asked whether he wants to live in the city or the suburbs, he picks the suburbs.

7. Get extremely annoyed when unwelcome people invade your space.

Actually, I go into his room all the time to grab his headphones, and he doesn't care. But he's extremely messy.

8. Anger is fleeting. You occasionally get very angry but it quickly dissipates.

That's true.

9. You do what you want, when you want, how you want, but would never infringe on another person ability to do the same.

Also true, in my brother's case.

10. Although you aren't always a nice person, you are a good person.

My brother wants me to hug in 24/7, he may be on the verge of mental retardation.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
how do you guys act when you like someone or dislike them? what are signs to look for...since usually, you send a lot of mixed signals! lol it'd be nice to be able to discern what ISTPs do when they're attracted to someone and also how they liked to be approached and what they're attracted to in a person of "the opposite sex," unless you're gay of course.

This girl talks to people she likes and doesn't talk to people she doesn't like :p She also has a case of the haters. Big surprise.

No joke, I feel like some people just don't like me and I don't usually know why. :shock:

I make eye contact with people I like when I talk to them. That's usually a big indicator. I don't look at the people I don't like... Maybe it's weird, but that's how I roll :p

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
curious still

This girl talks to people she likes and doesn't talk to people she doesn't like :p She also has a case of the haters. Big surprise.

No joke, I feel like some people just don't like me and I don't usually know why. :shock:

I make eye contact with people I like when I talk to them. That's usually a big indicator. I don't look at the people I don't like... Maybe it's weird, but that's how I roll :p

thanks for the reply, it offered a lot of insight. though, how do you act differently from when interacting with someone you like as a friend to how you act with someone you like as more than a friend have a romantic interest in?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
one sure fire way is that i am the only one who isn't threatened by you,
and admires your not-so-overt warmth, and tells you about it
then you want to rip my head off for noticing,
but then begin to cry
and we get married atop the island you built out of secret sentiments

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
from what i could tell about talking to my ISTP friend is that he's all talk but is truly harmless. he sounds like a jerk, especially online, but seriously...he's pretty simple minded.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
^
^^
^^^
^^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^

What a perfectly good way to ruin a topic, with serious, educated, introspective crap

Brilliant! Whether your being ironic or not you've perfectly expressed my thoughts.

Kayin

MBTI Type
IXTX
10 signs that you are an ISTP (in no particular order).

6. Although to strangers you appear to be a risk taker, you know that everything is under control.

8. Anger is fleeting. You occasionally get very angry but it quickly dissipates.

9. You do what you want, when you want, how you want, but would never infringe on another person ability to do the same.

(11. You're not good at following arbitrary rules.)

I relate to all of those above. For the most part.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
No way, being a pilot sounds boring. All day, you just sit in a damn airplane, hauling people from one place to another. ...Unless you meant helicopter pilot. I've wanted to get a helicopter for a very long time. Then I would be the guy who drops off snowboarders on the tops of mountains, or surfers on those kick ass giant waves.

I started a ninja club in elementary school. :ninja:
I was the only member of the club, though. :eek:uch:

And cars, trains, motorcycles... They've got nothing on a good turbopump, vacuum chamber, and RF magnetron sputter system. :)

20.jpg

^ How could an ISTP not want to work in that kind of environment?

Although if I could get paid to do this, I would:

GRThroAndGo2.jpg

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

3. When you were young you wanted to be a: master thief, assassin, ninja, pilot, race car driver, etc.

Man, those points fit in to most cool people :D I know i'm not an ISTP and I sat nodding at each point :shock: Don't get me into another personality crisis! Pretty please! :cry:

:smile:

Insidious 3

MBTI Type
INTJ
My father was an istp, but he commited suicide.
He was good with tools though, as you've suggested istp's are.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Not bad.
I have 2 ISTP males in my family.
Life is never boring.
And we never have to hire a repairman!

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

haha, no

......Just about, yeah. My side of the garage is a freaking mess, and it's fairly clean compared to how it was 1 year after I moved in. Overdue for a good reorganization/cleaning though.

Nah, not really. Supposedly the earliest profession I wanted to be was a plumber. This was when I was ~5 years old. No idea why.

No, not really; that was me circa ~8 years ago but now I just don't care anymore :)

Oh, yeah.

Nah. I know that *nothing* is *ever* "under control", anywhere at any time.

Yeah.

OH yeah.

Sounds about right.

Yeah.

Sometimes, yeah.

Kleinheiko

MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
9w1
thanks for the reply, it offered a lot of insight. though, how do you act differently from when interacting with someone you like as a friend to how you act with someone you like as more than a friend have a romantic interest in?

Just ask him if he likes you. If he's a true ISTP, he will want to be blunt and honest with his feelings when he decides to show them, but you may need to initiate a conversation along these lines with him. If you word it along the lines of a hypothetical or that you might like him, then it shouldn't be damaging to your friendship if he disagrees.

I have two very good friends who have both expressed their love to me at some point or another. They are still my good friends.