• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFP : do you recognize yourself in this individual ?

Inconnue

MBTI Type
TiNe
Enneagram
Clever and witty, she can be pretty mysterious when it comes to her type as she is rather logical and makes great use of her critical thinking in life and when it comes to her feelings.
Though she has little interest in artistic creation, she shows a great appreciation for art - be it popular (figurines, decoration, fashion) or related to true masterpiece (she collects books about art, enjoy learning about it, visiting museum -she even contemplated working in one). When it comes to judging art, her appreciation of it is never based on impression or feelings, she combines them with a strong critique of the techniques and quality as well as a certain appreciation for the subject.

She is more drawn to art representing human beings, especially women (she considers the curves to be more aesthetically pleasant).

Her creativity shows when she has to teach and make up activites such as : making her pupils write a newspaper about latin and Roman, asking them to come up with questions to create their own trivial pursuit, etc.

She can be pretty original and unconventional in her own ways but usually stick up to conventions to fit in in fear of rejection. She has a strong need to be noticed and loved while remaining independent in some aspects of her life. Social convention makes her extremely anxious as she has low self-esteem and strong feeling of shame whenever she makes a mistake among extroverted people who mind these conventions. She can spend hours locked on a thought about clothes she should wear to show something positive about herself -even though it means offering a false image of herself.

She is extremely pessimistic and somewhat idealistic when it comes to life, humanity or herself. She has trouble accepting failure and has an ideal based on the ability to reason - she is strongly depressed when faced with people who base their life on instincts rather than control of themselves through reflection about freedom, etc.

She is pessimistic about herself because she has low self-esteem and trouble being accepted by other people. She is an intellectual and sometimes appear cold and distant (depending on her mood) or is unable to talk because she has no idea what to say. It happens especially when she is extremely anxious or feel that she has many rules to compel to in order to be accepted or seem normal. She has, at heart, the hope to end up in a perfect and long term relationship. Being single is a curse for her, especially since it is seen as a failure through other people's eyes, and love is an ideal.

Though she sometimes gets lost in her thoughts and become oblivious to her environment, she is pretty good at catching details around her and interpret her surroundings. She is also very crictical of it and tends to give her opinion about people around her, especially about how they are dressed or look like, how they speak, etc.

Rarely impulsive and definitely not spontaneous, she is still laid-back with people she is comfortable around and rarely plan anything. She is pretty much disorganised and either procrastinate or work in a non efficient way (she is aware of that) - such as starting by the less important thing.
She hates work and school because it makes her incredibly anxious and she has to face social rejection.

Strangely enough, and unlike the two ISFPs I know, she is not tactile and does not consider constant love declarations to be important, she likes presents but they sometimes make her feel embarrassed and awkward, she considers that sometimes people show so many emotions that it looks like acting and irrationality. She also does not react to major catastrophes in the world (which are shown in the news) or fake it to be accepted. She does not like to deal with other people's emotions and prefer to anlyse her own. Failing to control her emotions properly and the discapency caused by the fact that she is aware of what causes her emotions and how ridiculous she thinks they are sometimes (such as her shame, her strong social anxiety or being heart broken when nothing happened) makes her feel relatively anxious and desperate.
She is still quite in touch with her feelings though she rarely shares them with anybody and chooses carefuly whom she is going to share them with. She gradually opens to her true friend and show another side of her personality, more emotional, less stable, more pessimistic and anxious, a bit ambiguous but also more honest, mature and both rational and idealistic.
I find it unusual because I have read many ISFPs (and have two ISFP friends) claiming more empathy than her (though she does not consider to be unempathetic at all), more impulsive and demanding or having extreme feelings most of the time. One aslo claims to be able to read people and get who they are quickly, both of them feel the need to help and be useful. This girl does not (and considers this kind of speech to be mostly self deception, not noticing that even altruism has some egoistical reasons hidden behind the apparent kindness).

As I said, she has an ideal based on reason, however she seems to give the impression to be either uptight and old-fashion or obsessed with bodily functions (sex, food, alcohol). She actually uses food as a mean to reduce her stress level, appreciate alcohol in a nearly professional way rather than a mean to have fun (she likes good food and good drinks) and mostly talks about sex freely (even makes up stories) to seem less uptight and more normal - therefore to be accepted.

Once you really know her, you realise she is neither uptight -though a bit old fashioned - nor obsessed. She has principles (and was raised by a strongly religious family, though she isn't herself) and sometimes have trouble contemplating another possibility but she does not fall into an extreme and knows that time will change her views on things.

She sometimes seems to focus on her daily life and problems or on the past more than on the future and can be pretty much the down-to-earth type. She does not really enjoy philosophy but engages in abstract conversations on regular basis. She enjoys manipulating logic to create absurd theories with me but she is more of a follower than a leader in those conversations and sometimes stops me because I went a bit too far and she has to think about it before I keep on babbling. She values imagination and sometimes make up stories but they are mostly based on eventual social interactions (especially : a man and a woman). They can be hilarious (she knows what she's creating) and a good parody or satire or movies or literary styles (or society). She is a theist and her religious opinion is relatively ambiguous -she considers that a deity is mostly a principle that has no influence on us now but would rather believe in the afterlife because she fears her own mortality.
She is extremely aware of herself, her development and motivations. She uses introspection a lot. She also follow the ideas of Freud, no matter how many controversies they can start. She loves psychology and theories and is not really practical or good with her hands - which is strange considering that she eventually seems to be on the sensing side though she first give the impression to be intuitive.

She seems to be and introvert but enjoys being with people when it does not cause anxiety, she is social at heat though she fails to be in practice sometimes. She does not really enjoy solitude. When something irritates her, she can be quite agressive (she's more into the passive-agressive mode than manipulative) but she is generally calm.

As an INTP, I feel that she gets the best out of me (when I am not being stubborn or pushed into a stereotype of myself because of something silly). She never pushed me to far into rationality and coldness, asking too much from me emotionally. We never had a real argument and seem to understand each other pretty well.
She is my closest friend and to be honest, even though I do not get her as well as my other "friends", I feel that there's a strong mutual understanding and I gradually opened to her.
She remains a mystery to me sometimes and this is why I find it so hard to type her but many people says she is probably an ISFP. I sometimes agree with it, failing to find a better type though I'd guess that her T (e/i) is not her inferior function (but she may be a feeler, she spent most of her time surrounded by thinkers).

As I know that no one is identical among a type, I'd say that no matter her type, she is truly an amazing individual and I love her deeply which is extremely unusual for me to say.

I like my two other ISFP friends, but they are less mature (though one has changed lately) and I have trouble dealing with impulsivity or responding properly to their emotions (not saying they are guilty of anything, I am more in cause than them), and talking to them, I've noticed that ISFP could be very good at critical thinking and are pretty imaginative (rich inner world), especially the ones who developped well their Ni but they seem more sensitive to many things than this great friend.:)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
she sounds like an INFJ 6w5 to me. Ni being focused on independence and absurd theories and Fe being focused on social norms/conventions. the feelings of anxiety and seemingly paradoxical nature of some of her behaviors are endemic of 6, with the 5 wing causing her to be a little more withdrawn. I could also see 4w3 though as she seems to value her individuality/self expression, focus on her image and experience feelings of shame
INFJs also type frequently as Ts because they are much more rational than most other Fs (Ni + Ti is a pretty rational combo)

Inconnue

MBTI Type
TiNe
Enneagram
I thought the same thing once (mostly because I see Fe and Ti in her but someone said "definitely Fi") but she seems sometimes to use so much Se (or at least pretend to use it ? and the ISFPs I know enjoy philosophy and are imaginative -but since they are good writers and artists, the only difference is that they don't value logical as much as she does and are much more feelers than she is) that I thought "ISFP" and she is such a perceiver (except when she writes essays, she has a natural talent to organize her thoughts, rarely digress or end up talking about the wrong topic).
It makes more sense in a way to talk about cognitive functions than dichotomies because they sure can be misleading (I seem J to many people). Especially the J/P.
Also, I've read that INFJs were sometimes very close to INTPs in the way they functions (especially when there's a Ni-Ti loop) so it would justify the fact that we are extremely similar yet different. Though I've seen many INTPs claiming that ISFPs made really good friends to them (and it may be true, my best friend is one).

Talking to other ISFPs online, I've noticed that they were more into artistic creation and people but also more openly sensitive and less logical (though still nice, I don't mind any type, really, just like to understand the difference between people better -and how functions affect people.) They did not recognize themselves in her but since I haven't talked to every single ISFP...

(Oh, and also : she never says anything about intuition or getting feelings about people or things that are going to happen and it's apparently common with INFJ but considering that she seems to use Ti quite a lot -at least to me- she might just ignore that).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll just say I don't recognize my ISFP wife in most of that. The only parts the fit are some that describe introversion.

And she appears to be the 4w5 from your description.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't recgonize my ISFP mom in that descrition... She seems INFJ for me, but I don't think I know any INFJs personally, she just remembers me of the descriptions I've read.
This site analyses some differences between INFP and INFJ, and this page is about Fi and Fe, that could help you, since ISFP is Fi dominant, and INFJ is Fe auxiliary.
http://www.infjorinfp.com/docs/ContrastFiFe.htm

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Um, you just described an INFJ as far as I can tell. I have no idea where you got ISFP. Just because she likes art?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
INFJ? What's wrong with you people? The OP's description sounds entirely ISFJ.

Definitely NOT ISFP, though.

Sunny Ghost

Fi-dom is possible, though my thought was also INFJ. INFP or ISFJ may be a possibility as well.

I'd agree on 4w5, at least.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Sounds VERY IxFJ. You just described my mother right there. No, seriously. It sounds like precisely the same person.

This comes off as pretty different from the ISFPs I know.