• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Se] An INTJ trying to pinpoint and understand Extraverted Sensing

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
Hello there all you S types, I have something that I'd like to get your input on. I'm in my mid 20's, and over the past 6 months or so I feel different, and I think it may be due to the development of Se (the INTJ 4th function). Last year, my Fi (the 3rd function) exploded and I have become very in tune with my emotions...but I guess I didn't expect to move onto Se quite yet.

For one, I'm not exactly sure what Se entails exactly, so I'm just going on my limited understanding of the sensing function. For example, I used to be horrible with directions..like I could not for the life of me orient myself north, south, west, and east, but now it is much easier to imagine. It's not instant like strong Se types I assume, because I still have to form a mental map. Do strong Se types feel like they have a magnet inside them or what? I used to need to print directions before going on trips and stuff. But now, I just take a quick glance at a map on google and kind of just wing it and it's actually fun even if it takes me a bit longer to get there.

Also, I suddenly feel the need to just touch things. I absolutely have to have something in my hand when I'm on the PC, reading, etc. And not just anything. Things with nice texture and weight and balance and what not. Is that Se or some sort of OCD?

And I am beginning to love fixing and assembling things as well. Well..actually I have always liked it but I used to read directions first and what not. But now I just need to immediately hold whatever it is I'm working on in my hand and just play around until it works, ya know. Like the other day, I had to put together a few pieces for an electric can opener and since I have no idea how they look/work, I just put them together like pieces of a puzzle. So I feel a strong compulsion to just dive in and figure it out with my hands instead of just abstractions like I used to.

I guess what I am wondering is: Are all of these things attributable to solely Se? Or maybe some are Si? For those with Se as their 1st or 2nd functions, to what degree do you identify to what I've described? Maybe you can list some other things as well while I try to think of some other stuff, since I thought I had more content for this post haha.

Sunny Ghost

I don't know if these things are necessarily Se... but I can definitely relate to those. ...and I'm an Se-user. :D

I've always, since a child, tried to orient myself to my surroundings. By that I mean, I'm always building in my mind a map of my surroundings. So, I almost never get lost. Usually if I've been somewhere once, I can figure my way around quite well. I'm always readjusting, building, evolving this internal map. I used to think this was a combo of Ti + Se... :thinking: I typically think ISTP's or ESTP's are probably doing this more so than myself, but I don't know. Perhaps' this is just Se? And yes! Se would definitely see the fun in winging it. It's a, "Who cares if I do get lost" mentality of a lot of Se-users, I believe. Though, we rarely actually do. Or so I believe. I can't recall an instance where I've actually been lost. I've always managed to find my way.

Also, I've heard Se-users talk about needing to do something at all times. (This isn't necessarily hyper-activity, I don't think...) But I had a friend who would juggle or drum, just to keep his hands busy. I believe he was an xSTP. I can be that way sometimes as well... but I can be quite calm and relaxed too. Depends on the day, I suppose. Today, I was watching an SP of some sort sit with a rock by a coffee shop, and start drawing on the pavement. He wasn't trying to create art. He was just bored and entertaining himself, keeping his hands busy. Better believe if I have a pen in my hand and paper in front of me, that I will be doodling. I don't know if this is exactly relate-able to your experience... but... yeah.

Si is more associated with... as I put it... staying on top of your game... perhaps? It's a bit more like Ni than Se. Or a combination of the two. Learning from the past, I suppose. Se has past recall, but is more focused on enjoying the present or experiencing the present. I'm sure someone here can give a better definition of the functions.

Found this definition:
Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail. We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result. We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context. An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment. A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us. The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.
Introverted Sensing often involves storing data and information, then comparing and contrasting the current situation with similar ones. The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences, and we register a similarity or a difference—for example, noticing that some food doesn’t taste the same or is saltier than it usually is. Introverted Sensing is also operating when we see someone who reminds us of someone else. Sometimes a feeling associated with the recalled image comes into our awareness along with the information itself. Then the image can be so strong, our body responds as if reliving the experience. The process also involves reviewing the past to draw on the lessons of history, hindsight, and experience. With introverted Sensing, there is often great attention to detail and getting a clear picture of goals and objectives and what is to happen. There can be a oneness with ageless customs that help sustain civilization and culture and protect what is known and long-lasting, even while what is reliable changes.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Hmm... I'll take a shot at this. *cracks knuckles*

For one, I'm not exactly sure what Se entails exactly, so I'm just going on my limited understanding of the sensing function. For example, I used to be horrible with directions..like I could not for the life of me orient myself north, south, west, and east, but now it is much easier to imagine. It's not instant like strong Se types I assume, because I still have to form a mental map. Do strong Se types feel like they have a magnet inside them or what?
Hmm... well it sounds a bit like Se, I suppose. I think this is more just S in general. Se is an external function, so Si is more likely to be the one making a mental map. I'm not really sure how Se works in this case. Oh... and not all sensors are good with directions. The only way I can ever figure out where I'm at is through landmarks. Maps are boring and useless to me.

I used to need to print directions before going on trips and stuff. But now, I just take a quick glance at a map on google and kind of just wing it and it's actually fun even if it takes me a bit longer to get there.
Ahh... now this sounds a bit more like Se to me. Just "winging it" and seeing where the action will take you is the beauty of Se. Live in the moment and enjoy yourself where you're at. :D

Also, I suddenly feel the need to just touch things. I absolutely have to have something in my hand when I'm on the PC, reading, etc. And not just anything. Things with nice texture and weight and balance and what not. Is that Se or some sort of OCD?
I'd be more inclined to say it's OCD-like. ;)

And I am beginning to love fixing and assembling things as well. Well..actually I have always liked it but I used to read directions first and what not. But now I just need to immediately hold whatever it is I'm working on in my hand and just play around until it works, ya know. Like the other day, I had to put together a few pieces for an electric can opener and since I have no idea how they look/work, I just put them together like pieces of a puzzle. So I feel a strong compulsion to just dive in and figure it out with my hands instead of just abstractions like I used to.
Ahh yes! Sometimes it's great to just dive in to something with your hands and figure it out for yourself. Here, you are breaking away from the Te instructions and moving toward Se+Ti to figure things out.

I guess what I am wondering is: Are all of these things attributable to solely Se?
Nah, you seem to have a bit of blending going on. Blending is great, though. You don't want to live the world through just one function. Most of the time, I'd think we are using more than one at a time.

I think I might be an SJ... and I'm no expert, but those are just my small opinions.

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
Thanks for the replies you guys. It is helping me figure out the Se function. It's so different than what I'm used to that it's a bit hard to adjust! For instance, when I am engaging solely my Se (and I guess Ti) I sort of have this anxious feeling because it feels like I am wasting time or something, even when I have no actual obligations per se. There is no stronger drive towards productivity than Ni+Te haha. I'm so used to sitting around and throwing data at my Ni and just playing with my brain that I feel guilty when I become more "grounded". But life is not about being productive 24/7, but just when it counts. I will have to practice on just being okay with winging it because it definitely is adding some enjoyment to my life...the kind I'm not really used to. Come to think of it, I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle...but I have this strange fear of being afraid to push its limits which I would view as a failure. Hmmm (insert appropriate emoticon)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello there all you S types, I have something that I'd like to get your input on. I'm in my mid 20's, and over the past 6 months or so I feel different, and I think it may be due to the development of Se (the INTJ 4th function). Last year, my Fi (the 3rd function) exploded and I have become very in tune with my emotions...but I guess I didn't expect to move onto Se quite yet.

For one, I'm not exactly sure what Se entails exactly, so I'm just going on my limited understanding of the sensing function. For example, I used to be horrible with directions..like I could not for the life of me orient myself north, south, west, and east, but now it is much easier to imagine. It's not instant like strong Se types I assume, because I still have to form a mental map. Do strong Se types feel like they have a magnet inside them or what? I used to need to print directions before going on trips and stuff. But now, I just take a quick glance at a map on google and kind of just wing it and it's actually fun even if it takes me a bit longer to get there.

I guess what I am wondering is: Are all of these things attributable to solely Se? Or maybe some are Si? For those with Se as their 1st or 2nd functions, to what degree do you identify to what I've described? Maybe you can list some other things as well while I try to think of some other stuff, since I thought I had more content for this post haha.

I don't relate to too much of this post. It sounds like it could be possible Se use, but an INTJ's version of it. Se with all your other functions as precursers.

The part about maps and directions is something I can relate to the most, which sounds just S in general. Memorizing the map and having it in your head sounds very Si. (ISXJ). I can relate to it somewhat, with my Si being relatively strong for an ESFP. "Just winging it to see what happens" is very Se. It's the adventurous living in the moment nature. I do that on a lot of the trips I take. I write down the directions, and then usually have a good idea of general route numbers and town names in my head, and then if it's a nice day and I don't have to be at my destination at a specific time, I just wing it, often taking a whole new route. It feels like you're wasting time because you are wasting time. :D

The holding things of nice texture/weight sounds very mundane for an Se user. You are probably thinking a little farther into it while you're doing it. Primary Se users want to do something fun because they are in the moment. (I'm so focused on everything around me that the need for excitement/ stimulation around me increases. 1 item is unlikely to fascinate us since we're not thinking too far beyond that item.) INTJ's are about depth, Se users are about breadth. Se often requires not only living in the moment, but for something to be going on in the moment. (Or lots of things.)

About putting things together to find out how they work. Mildly Se. Se users do want to put things together to find out how they work. As a primary Se user with Fi and Te, this wouldn't interest me unless I was in a school setting. So it makes sense that you're using your Se, but your Ni(?) being curious to begin with would cause you to follow through. (I think Ti users are the ones who want to know how things work, but Ni may want to do this as well?)

Sunny Ghost

^I suppose the above is the Se dom or Se aux difference?

I can relate to the holding things or feelings things specifically for the texture aspect. It's not mundane at all, but very pleasurable and sometimes interesting at the same time.
Perhaps this is due to being an introvert first, it takes things in through the senses differently. However, I can very much have an ESFP-like response to things as well, and just be very reactive upon the things I see and experience also.

And with the map building, for me, is built upon experience and learned visual cues. And as I travel the area more and more, I'm rebuilding and evolving this map. Trying to mentally make sure I get everything in it's correct place.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^I suppose the above is the Se dom or Se aux difference?

I can relate to the holding things or feelings things specifically for the texture aspect. It's not mundane at all, but very pleasurable and sometimes interesting at the same time.
Perhaps this is due to being an introvert first, it takes things in through the senses differently. However, I can very much have an ESFP-like response to things as well, and just be very reactive upon the things I see and experience also.

And with the map building, for me, is built upon experience and learned visual cues. And as I travel the area more and more, I'm rebuilding and evolving this map. Trying to mentally make sure I get everything in it's correct place.

Yes, that's a difference between Se usage vs. Se dominant I guess. Can you picture any Se dominant in your life becoming interested in holding an object and thinking about it's weight and texture?

It's not necessarily mundane to everyone, but to someone who is used to taking in so many little details of their environment at one time, a couple of small details aren't likely to interest them. (Speaking from experience, anyways.) I think this is something that I may do if I was really tired and my capacity for taking in details around me becomes less. I'm thinking that someone with Ni higher on the spectrum may feel differently because you'd be thinking about the material on a deeper level- what is it made of? How did they make it? When you hold the object one way it feels heavier than if you hold an object another way. (Just making things up, I'm not positive about how Ni doms think. :)) For someone who is not inclined to look beyond the object much, the object is just an object.

(Edit: Fi: "I am one with the brick. The rough, heavy brick is one with the soft, fuzzy cloud."
Ni: I'm wondering about the origins of the brick and if I could create something even more sturdy."
Se: "Lets throw that rough, heavy brick at that fragile window and find out what happens!" :D)

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
I don't think about the object in my hand. Haha talk about mundane, with all the other things I could be doing with my brain. I guess maybe at some point I could take a mental break and be like hmmm interesting object, and then I simultaneously ask myself what, why, how, when questions about it, but that takes a few seconds so I wouldn't consider it "thinking" about the object, since after all it would be done during my break from thinking. Maybe because I don't take time to articulate the answers to my questions about the object...my brain just flashes various abstract images that are just as good for me as long sentences. Kind of like the saying a picture is worth a thousand words.

And I don't just hold these things. I play with them I guess. Like trying to balance them on different fingers, throwing and catching, feeling the impact etc. For example, I love shuffling poker chips with one hand, and it is as effortless as driving a manual car so it doesn't take away from my concentration. In fact, I feel like these things allow me to think deeper somehow. So I guess you guys are right about where the Se falls on the function list. It seems like I had just added Se to my arsenal in a way that appeases my higher functions, for the most part. Now of course, I do like doing thrilling things where Se just takes complete control. When that happens I feel so much different which even adds to the excitement of being out of my natural element. For instance I used to have a super fast car that I took to a race track once and let me tell you...hitting 130 mph on a straightaway coming into a corner waiting till the last possible second to hit the brakes, then downshifting and jerking the wheel 90 degrees and then flooring it at the apex of the curve making sure the wheel is first straightened is a rush. ESPECIALLY when you don't really know what you're doing and trusting yourself to be able to succeed. It's so cool that it all takes a few seconds but it feels like time slows down, Inception style. Is that the feeling that an Se dominant seeks in day to day life?

Sunny Ghost

It's strange how sometimes some task requires a bit of concentration and yet is zen and meditative at the same time. I used to sit and make bracelets, or knit scarves... and I enjoyed the process of perfecting the coordination, and movement of the hand, and fluidity of creating these items...

however there was this double concentration that came in... where in the process, I was also able to allow my mind to wander and focus my attention on more Fi type thoughts.

But I'm sure it'd be the same for an Se-dom, as the stillness would allow them to move into their aux.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's strange how sometimes some task requires a bit of concentration and yet is zen and meditative at the same time. I used to sit and make bracelets, or knit scarves... and I enjoyed the process of perfecting the coordination, and movement of the hand, and fluidity of creating these items...

however there was this double concentration that came in... where in the process, I was also able to allow my mind to wander and focus my attention on more Fi type thoughts.

But I'm sure it'd be the same for an Se-dom, as the stillness would allow them to move into their aux.

:yes: I am likely to do crafts or just plain doodle when I shift into Fi.