• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] A question for ISFPs

Are ISFPs "daydreamers"?

• Total voters

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Are ISFPs "daydreamers"?

ie - spend time fantasizing about the future fulfillment of hopes and wishes

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have an ISFP friend and she daydreams.
Thanks, heart.
I was wondering if they do because the stereotypical S functions more in the here and now than in the future.

You can vote in the poll if you want to.

heart

heart on fire
I would say that her dreams revolve around home, family and children, Christmas and cookies and such. She's got a real endearing childlike quality while being very motherly at the same time.

She is very creative but she doesn't believe she is. We work great as a team doing something creative because we come at it from different angles. I guess I gushed enough for this thread, but if you would like to know more about how I view my ISFP friend, PM me. :)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I would say that her dreams revolve around home, family and children, Christmas and cookies and such. She's got a real endearing childlike quality while being very motherly at the same time.

She is very creative but she doesn't believe she is. We work great as a team doing something creative because we come at it from different angles. I guess I gushed enough for this thread, but if you would like to know more about how I view my ISFP friend, PM me. :)
I had an ISFP female friend. She was really gifted with artsy things. I don't remember of she was a daydreamer or not. She was a wonderful person, highly intelligent. She had a son with many severe allergies, and when she would describe to me the things she was doing to manage his diet, it always made me think she must be a rocket scientist to keep it all straight!

I'm actually planning to use the responses to this poll to help me decide what Jason Castro's type is (the American Idol contestant). I think he's an SP, maybe an ISFP. But one thing he has said about himself is that he likes to daydream about the future. I guess I was wondering if that disqualified him as an ISFP.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
My ISFP said he was a notorious daydreamer in his household. But then again, his family seems much more on the S side of the spectrum--they are ESTP, ISTJ, ESTJ--and he is more towards the N side.

He has excellent Se, but he often wanders off into happy thoughts of the future, especially when the present is less than pleasant!

heart

heart on fire
I think Fi is where the dreaminess comes from. jmo. The effect of Se instead of Ne would make the content of the daydreams a little different probably but the dreaminess still there.

I tend to daydream about lives I will never have, happening to people I will never know, in situations I have never seen. My friend tends to daydream about her own situation and how it could be improved and her hopes for the future.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I think Fi or maybe Ni (not sure why) would cause day-dreaminess. I say that because my day dreams are Fi driven, not N or S driven, but influenced.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Are ISFPs "daydreamers"?

ie - spend time fantasizing about the future fulfillment of hopes and wishes

That's not the only definition of daydreaming you have in mind is it?

alicia91

I'm an ISFP and a major daydreamer! Not sure if it's the ISFP itself or the fact that I've got a significant quantity of N?

The things that I daydream about include; fulfillment of goals and wishes (living on the beach in Florida etc.), imagining myself as someone from the past (such as a historical figure), imagining my kids as adults, there are lots more but those are the most common. Another biggie is when I read a book, I tend to put myself into it.

Two of my good friends are ISFPs but I have no idea if they like to daydream, but going by my preference, I chose the first option.

alicia91

Why does daydreaming have to be pure fantasy? Couldn't it be just being 'lost in thought?' I mean even realistic types probably 'daydream' about things they are going to do, make plans in their minds etc. What's the difference?

My husband is an ENTJ and isn't typically 'daydreamy' though he admits to 'making plans in his mind?' But I'm more likely to think about myself as the character married to George Clooney in a movie. So am I daydreaming and he's not?

alicia91

They MIGHT be to me, but I'm not really sure HOW they are different.

For example, hubby and I are going to Chicago next month. If I get lost in thought about shopping in cool stores, going to the theatre, being at Navy Pier - am I daydreaming? Or does it need en element of 'couldn't really happen' - daydreaming about walking on the moon for example?

I know I'm splitting hairs (and I normally don't) but I think daydreaming means different things to different people.

My son daydreams about 'inventions' he could make with his Legos. Is that planning or a daydream? ;)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
They MIGHT be to me, but I'm not really sure HOW they are different.

For example, hubby and I are going to Chicago next month. If I get lost in thought about shopping in cool stores, going to the theatre, being at Navy Pier - am I daydreaming? Or does it need en element of 'couldn't really happen' - daydreaming about walking on the moon for example?

I know I'm splitting hairs (and I normally don't) but I think daydreaming means different things to different people.

My son daydreams about 'inventions' he could make with his Legos. Is that planning or a daydream? ;)
Daydreaming seems more to me like something that is so far ahead in the future that nothing you could do today could have any (or much) effect on it - like a 14 year old daydreaming about the ideal man that she wants to marry some day.

Dreaming about all the shopping you'd like to do when you get to Chicago is sort of daydreaming, but it seems more tied down to that "realistic" aspect that N type daydreaming doesn't have to satisfy.

heart

heart on fire
The more abstract the vision, the more I would consider it daydreaming and the more practical and applied to some solid preparation for a real world event I would consider it planning.

alicia91

Ok, so if I saw George Clooney in real life, and he said "Hi." Then later I fantazised about our wedding - daydreaming or planning? ;)

(just kidding)

I think daydreaming means different things to different personalities. JMHO

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ok, so if I saw George Clooney in real life, and he said "Hi." Then later I fantazised about our wedding - daydreaming or planning? ;)

(just kidding)
Yes. That would be daydreaming.

I think daydreaming means different things to different personalities. JMHO
Well, that just messes me all up.

heart

heart on fire

Until he is down on his knees popping the question, it is all a daydream. ;):D

arborvitae

MBTI Type
ISFP
I definitely daydream. As has been discussed, though, it usually isn't extremely fantasy oriented. I mostly think about idealistic plans, imagined conversations, etc. Also, if I'm in the middle of a crafty project, I'll think about that to the point that it could be considered daydreaming. When I was younger I had a more active imagination. I'd have ongoing daydreams with a complicated plot usually derived from a book or movie I had seen, and they were much more fanciful.

It seems to me that my habit of daydreaming gives people the idea that I'm much more "N" than I actually am.