• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] How do you (ISTP) act around.....

Illmatic

Well how do you (ISTP) act around:

your family
your friends you know well
strangers
friends (not really close with just friends)

LeftKick

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5 sp
Friends and family I like- Quiet,unless the subject being discussed is interesting to me or we are doing something I like.

People I don't like- I won't even admit you exist.

Strangers- Standoffish until I see what you are about.

It's very simple. I think ISTP's are way over analyzed a lot of times. If I like you I will talk to you. If I don't like you I won't. Don't try to make me change my mind, it will only bug me more.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Friends and family I like- Quiet,unless the subject being discussed is interesting to me or we are doing something I like.

People I don't like- I won't even admit you exist.

Strangers- Standoffish until I see what you are about.

It's very simple. I think ISTP's are way over analyzed a lot of times. If I like you I will talk to you. If I don't like you I won't. Don't try to make me change my mind, it will only bug me more.

(Taps you on the shoulder.) What are you thinking? Want to talk? You must be thinking about all the things you want to say to me, right? Do you like me? I think you do. I think you're just speechless in my presence. You must have a lot going through your head. Yeah. That's it. Want to talk about it? No? oh. oh. That's okay! I'll just wait here.

mountainofdew

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
With immediate family, brothers, sister, and parents: I am quiet. I think I still come off as rude even though I don't intend to be on occasion. I will commit to certain actions if they need me. Most times I'll commit to doing something if they invite me. I am loved, and I love them. I give randomly, not on what are traditionally special days. Sometimes they don't understand my impartiality, this I can see in their faces. I don't really know what emotional responses to give sometimes, although I am getting better at this. I make a concerted effort to hug, smile, or touch their shoulders at what I think are appropriate moments.

I currently don't have a close set of friends. I moved too much in the military to keep or maintain those connections. I have difficulty maintaining friendships without close proximity.

I occasionally say hi to strangers, when I am in the mood, for grins. The responses or lack of them can be amusing. If a stranger is wearing a name tag, like a cashier, I will call them by name. I have been told not to by family. However, it can be fun to poke at people that way sometimes. On occasion I get a smile from those people which makes that effort worth while.

I do have a set of friends that I am not particularly close to. They always tell me to "not be a stranger". I will go to movies or out to eat on occasion with them.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My family: I don't have a very close family and we are all introverts. So it's very quiet at our home. We all respect each others space and there isn't much talking except when we need to.

Friends I know well: Quiet but sometimes very energetic, playful, hyper, funny. My friends often see me at my social "best". I'm out with them when I want to socialize and engage with others. So they do have a somewhat different view of me than how I am when I'm home. Almost an alter-ego type relationship.

Strangers: This is a broad category and depends upon what's happening but I'm polite. I mind my business. They do the same. If I get a chance to observe and get a feel for those around me and I like the vibe, I can be friendly and relaxed and enjoy conversation very much. Never had a problem with strangers.

Friends (not really close with just friends): These are mostly energy vampires to me. Sure, I like them but I seem to run into them when I don't want to talk and they HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN FOREVER! WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO? WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW? DID YOU GRADUATE SCHOOL? WHERE DO YOU WORK? DID YOU QUIT THAT JOB YET?

These are people I'm either going to try to avoid making eye contact with while walking down a supermarket aisle or I might go see them for a drink at a bar they work at. It's hit and miss. I'm selfish about these friendships because I like to hang out or see these people on my terms. I run hot and cold with these people the most.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well how do you (ISTP) act around:

your family
your friends you know well
strangers
friends (not really close with just friends)

I'm generally quiet around all of these in groups (say a group of family members OR friends, etc).

Family:
- Immediate (parents, sister): We hug at a reunion (we live in 3 different countries). Not much on kisses. We don't talk much about feelings. It's generally kinda quiet, I guess. My mom and sister are both ISFJs, not sure what my dad is. Maybe ENTx. He's usually the one to organize people coming over, grilling out...
- Extended (aunts, uncles, cousins): I'm really quiet around them for 2 reasons. 1) I'm an introvert! 2) It takes me awhile to get back into thinking in Spanish. I'm fluent in both, but like a muscle, you gotta use it. I hardly use Spanish (haven't very much since 2003). The first couple of days I tend to think of things in English and then translate which just takes a bit of effort. After that, I start thinking in Spanish again and conversation becomes more fluid. I don't see my extended family very often either. They live in yet another country. This means that I don't know them THAT well and it's hard for me to come up with stuff to talk about. They're mostly Extroverts, so they chatter away at me and I'm ok with that.

Good friends:
- In a group: Gawd. It's been forever since I've been around a bunch of MY friends in a group. I don't have a problem taking the mic in front of them tho.
- Just 1-on-1: With other Introverts, it's usually quiet, but we have fun being randomly snarky about things. With Extroverts, my stories usually get cut off and I never finish telling them because the E has something to say and I just listen. Sometimes that gets old. (Yes, it's exhausting for me to be around E's).

Strangers:
I'm quiet. If they talk to me, I listen and/or answer whatever questions, but it's hard for me to make conversation with a complete stranger. If they're quiet, I'm quiet. If the stranger gets going on a topic I can relate to, then I don't have a problem talking to them (um, as long as they aren't creepy and asking awkward things!).

Non-friends:
- If I like them, I'm pleasant. If they converse, I converse back, ask how they're doing. This is usually enough to get any E in a conversation. If it's an I, then it will likely die down.
- If I DON'T like them: I hardly say hello. Pretty simple.

LeftKick

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5 sp
- Just 1-on-1: With other Introverts, it's usually quiet, but we have fun being randomly snarky about things. With Extroverts, my stories usually get cut off and I never finish telling them because the E has something to say and I just listen. Sometimes that gets old. (Yes, it's exhausting for me to be around E's).

I will let this E trait go sometimes, but sometimes get so frustrated I just walk away. I suppose it's a bit rude on my part, but after getting interupted a dozen times I don't really care.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Family: I act like a smart-ass. I'm for the most part, quiet. Making a few comments here and there. I usually only talk when I have something useful to say or when I think they shouldn't do something (I've always been the way to announce we're going the wrong way when driving, OFC no one listens and I'm always right). No one listens, but in the end, they always say that they should have listened to me. They always ask for my opinion on stuff... Can be very annoying actually to be questioned about things.

My mother and brother are both ENFJs so they're both very... Loud. Sometimes both of them find the things that I say offensive (I'm being blunt), but I think they get over it. We're not a very affectionate family. We don't hug or say I love you often. But we all love each other.

Friends that I Know Well: I just smile a lot. I can be both talkative and quiet. I have these bursts of energy and then I kinda sink back and listen to everyone. I kind of let my mind do the talking--I feel more unrestricted.
strangers

Friends (Not Really Close with Just Friends): Kind of the same with friends that I know well, but I don't blab on about nonsense and I don't share much with them.

Strangers: I probably wouldn't notice you unless you stood infront of me and waved your hand in my face.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am moody. Very moody. I like to think for days at a time, but then I might go off on a tangent where I want to do nothing but be silly, be extroverted, and drink. Then I crawl back into my hole again, sometimes for weeks. So it really depends on what mood I am in as to how I act towards others. In general:

My S.O.: I talk his ears off, regardless of what mood I am in. I like to bug the fu** out of him. Annoy him, pick at him. It gives me a thrill. I like to talk about things I've read that day or something I am analyzing, or work stuff. And he always listens patiently. Luckily, he's an ENTJ so he can handle just about anything I throw at him. He's very patient.

My family: Hardly ever talk to them. My mom I've talked to lately, but my siblings I haven't even seen or spoken to in 7 years or more. I can talk for hours at a time to my mom, and I've always felt semi-comfortable with her, but we have grown apart (mostly because I chose to). We didn't have a healthy relationship and I needed to break free from it.

Friends I know well: Comfortable and confident, but I won't tell them everything. I choose my friends selectively, because certain types are just too much maintenance. I like friends I feel like I can say anything to and they won't be shocked or upset. I prefer friends who understand where I am coming from. Being a female istp can be difficult, because women especially can be offended easily. (I know this sounds like I am stereotyping, but it's just something I learned over the years after many lessons lol - I don't think ALL women are like this, but I pretty much assume it initially until I figure out where I can go and where I can't with them). So sometimes I think I go overboard to let them know I accept them, and I tread lightly around females especially, until I get to know who they are, and then I know which ones won't be upset by me and which will. I need to figure out where their lines are (because sometimes mine are much different from theirs, and I honestly want to respect them). Males I feel like I can be myself with alot more, honestly. The worst thing in the world for me is to get caught up in certain kinds of games people play, and I will try to avoid those at all costs.

Strangers: Pretty much ignore them. Sometimes I will catch their eye and say "hi" and smile. I am friendly and use Fe if I need to speak to a stranger. Other than that, I ignore them.

New People I am Meeting: Tread lightly until I figure them out. I'm usually friendly and use Fe alot until I figure you out. I adjust Fe to fit the situation thereafter. If I don't like you, I'm different from a lot of istp's in that I will still usually treat you warmly. If I'm going to dislike you, the only people who will know it are my closest friends. I keep my enemies close. I prefer to use less Fe, but I do have my lines. If guys become too crude, I get turned off. I like people who respect others, generally, and respect what they want to hear and see.

If it gives me a thrill, I might act in a completely different manner than usual. I am a thrill-seeker, and I'll try just about anything once, even if it is way out of my comfort zone.

Isa

MBTI Type
ISTP
your family

With my guy ...I get a thrill out of winding him up. Sometimes I annoy him on purpose just to see how much the poor guy can take. Poke! Poke! Poke! Poke! He shouts "STOP THAT!"...I laugh and say "ohmygosh what?! why are you so angry?!"... ;) I'm so evil! But he knows I love him. He is pretty patient and I adore him for that. I always liked Sheryl Crow's song "Are you strong enough to be my man?" cause I felt like not many guys could take me on (mentally and physically). I know my guy is rare gem.

family Sigh. Hate talking about my family-relationships..but here goes. Well I adore my parents but my relationship with them can be strenuous. Distance makes the heart grow fonder...if you know what I mean. My mom is harder to take cause she's all about the F and J and demands respect from me whereas I think respect needs to be earned. I have no idea what types they are. But I suspect they are both very J oriented. This made me withdraw from both them as a child - I always wanted to run away so I wouldn't have to live under people I disliked. I excelled in school and because I didn't listen to their bad advice am better off than any of my siblings. As I've grown and matured I've learned to appreciate them more. I have more patience with my dad cause he's a T, however, the J in his personality irritates the hell out of me and I often shock him when we're talking politics. Basically I can get along with my parents as long as we keep limit the subjects we talk about to science and education.

As for my siblings...I may as well be an only child. I don't talk to my older brother and sister who I didn't grow up with and when I finally did meet them had nothing in common with them. I don't hate them or anything, just don't want to waste my time with people who don't know me nor understand me. I'm "closer" to my younger brother....as close as an ISTP can get that is. We only talk about once a month and while I love him we're not overtly affectionate with each other. We basically relate because we both survived growing up with my parents.

your friends you know well : I have about 4 girlfriends and 1 guy friend whom I would say I'm close to. I've been friends with these people for 10 years which is a great thing as I'm quite good at just dropping people off my radar. The reason these people are still in my life is because they understand me and won't freak out or disown me if I don't talk to them or call them for 6 months straight. They know that I still think of them and appreciate them...just at long distance. When we get together its awesome. Usually I get with friends on one-to-one basis or in small groups. I do have a large number of acquaintances...some who would refer to me as their "friend" but I tend to use that word more carefully than others.

strangers I'm pretty cool with strangers. I can start up conversations if I'm in the mood or if someone starts up one with I won't mind too much. I don't give details about me at all, usually just listen. But sometimes I like to have fun..and if I get one that is particularly nosy I will spin some wild tales about me. :newwink:

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
your family - the reasonably "normal", or the "bat-shnicky" ones?

your friends you know well - the invisible "shield" goes down.

strangers - I get oddly boisterous and talkative or simply ignore them.

friends (not really close with just friends) - acquaintences make me tired...seems a pointless waste of oxygen and energy

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Family: Comfortable and talkative enough, but not chatty... I keep somewhat reserved as my family is much more "proper" than I am. We don't have a ton in common, but I still get along well with the family and enjoy their company for the most part (we're all pretty non-confrontational with each other). Home is safe.

Friends I know well: I'm usually somewhat goofy and can be pretty talkative. It just depends on my mood/energy level.

Strangers: Fuck off.

Acquaintances: Just depends. Usually I try to keep it brief and to the point with these people. I'm not very chatty with people I'm not close to and don't have much in common with, and I'm usually not hell bent on making a bunch of new friends wherever I go. Close friendships just sort of happen over time with certain individuals and it's not forced. I never got off on "knowing a lot of people". Doesn't matter/appeal to me.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Family: Mostly i am quiet and keep to myself. We have very little in common and they are mostly Is so they give me space. My mum is an ENTJ and mostly I want to kill her. Sometimes i will entertain them all with my wit and stories. But mostly i can't even be bothered with them.

Friends: i do stuff with my friends. Im not good at mindless drivel. Mostly i see them to do sport with. Im generally funny and a bit of a goof around friends. Although sometimes if im not in the mood ill be quiet.

Same as what the others have said if i dont like someone i basically just pretend they dont even exist. I always make an effort to say stuff to people i actually like. But they have to bring something to the table. I have no time for boring people.

Strangers: I have to be in the mood to give strangers a fair trial. But mostly im reserved and aloof and hang back until i can size them up. Then if i like them i will probably make some inappropriate comments in front of them. If i dont like them i will rapidly move on and probably never speak to them again.

avaclairep

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
family: With my immediate family I act like a smart ass and I'm usually pretty moody. With my extended family I am pretty quiet and reserved, only speaking when spoken to.

friends I know well: With friends I know well I am usually comfortable, I am usually more quiet than some of my other friends.

strangers: I am usually pretty polite to strangers. I only start up conversations with them if I'm in the mood though.

friends you don't know well: I am usually pretty boring and I don't talk that much, if I am around people I know well I tend to talk more.