• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Question for the Extraverted Sensors here

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the absurdity of that would occur to me, but I'd hardly find it funny. I suspect this is just your friend's 'quirky' humour. But immediately after pointing out the absurdity, I would probably have a thought/ make a comment about how it's not actually that absurd, because perhaps this is how bad people hide, etc.

Interesting you mention that, as I almost said the exact same thing to her but then realize that would have just made things a tad awkward :blush:

Instead I just responded to her that intentionally hitting her would be one of the last things I'd ever do. She just smiled and told me she knew that. The conversation drifted off after that.

I'd just like to reiterate how I think the spider-web example is a really good one, that actually has helped me to understand from prior conversations I've had with her before.

B

brainheart

I can only speak for Se colored by Fi, but I get this person's train of thought.

I'm currently making a ballet dress out of plastic bags. This is a Se + (I think dominant) introverted judging thing, just as making multiple, very different meals out of five ingredients follows the same process. It's a, "look at what I have here. What are all of the different awesome concrete things I can make out of this?" Ne, I think, would take it to a whole different level: "all ballet dancers are going to wear plastic dresses and i'm going to change the whole production of plastic and when I'm living in space, in my plastic dress..." But what do I know? I really don't.

Following a recipe, using things as they are 'supposed' to be used drives me nuts. Following a plan drives me nuts. Se makes you see things how they are at the moment and all of the possibilities of the thing at the moment. The magazine Readymade is a perfect example of what I'm talking about: http://www.readymade.com/magazine

This can carry to humor. My sense of humor seems very... random. I would laugh at the nice guy beating her comment, too. The unexpected, incongruous is funny.

mountainofdew

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
In any event I made some joking remark about how people are going to think I beat her regularily at something. She laughed, then asked me "How funny would it be if you actually were beating me? A nice guy like you? That would be hilarious!".

I have said some pretty rough things,like your significant other, that were funny in my head. However, when my brother, an intj, replied with no it isn't: I thought about what I said and realized that no it really wasn't funny. It's only funny in that it's out of place, and doesn't seem like a real possibility. This is not something I could explain while talking, or if asked how or why i made that statement at that time, and perhaps not now in writing either. Such an action in her head, perhaps, is beyond reality...totally unrealistic, and out of place.

Last edited:
B

brainheart

Oh come now. I doubt she'd really think it was funny. It's more like a out there scenario- think south park or beavis and butt head. People- I - find what happens in those shows funny and a lot of times what happens would not be funny in real life. My guess is that's what she was going for.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can only speak for Se colored by Fi, but I get this person's train of thought.

I'm currently making a ballet dress out of plastic bags. This is a Se + (I think dominant) introverted judging thing, just as making multiple, very different meals out of five ingredients follows the same process. It's a, "look at what I have here. What are all of the different awesome concrete things I can make out of this?" Ne, I think, would take it to a whole different level: "all ballet dancers are going to wear plastic dresses and i'm going to change the whole production of plastic and when I'm living in space, in my plastic dress..." But what do I know? I really don't.

An interesting point about the usage of Ne. I wonder if an Ne user would comment?

Following a recipe, using things as they are 'supposed' to be used drives me nuts. Following a plan drives me nuts. Se makes you see things how they are at the moment and all of the possibilities of the thing at the moment. The magazine Readymade is a perfect example of what I'm talking about: http://www.readymade.com/magazine

This can carry to humor. My sense of humor seems very... random. I would laugh at the nice guy beating her comment, too. The unexpected, incongruous is funny.

Does following a plan really bother you that much? It's interesting to me, the differences between Se-users and Si-users. I'm lost without a recipe! :laugh:

Your explanation though does reinforce my conclusion though that she's an Se-dom though as her train of thought is exactly the same. She likes the zaney and the weird like that, and has been called "crazy" by other friends and family.

I know it isn't true though, she just has a quirky way of looking at things, a way in which I find to be extremely interesting and very, very refreshing :wubbie:

I have said some pretty rough things,like your significant other, that were funny in my head. However, when my brother, an intj, replied with no it isn't: I thought about what I said and realized that no it really wasn't funny. It's only funny in that it's out of place, and doesn't seem like a real possibility. This is not something I could explain while talking, or if asked how or why i made that statement at that time, and perhaps not now in writing either. Such an action in her head, perhaps, is beyond reality...totally unrealistic, and out of place.

Yeah, and I think I may have burst her bubble by asking her that which actually made me feel kind of bad because then I suddenly felt like a giant buzz kill. I do try to avoid her. I'll admit I was more horrified by the idea of me hitting her more than the overall idea of domestic abuse.

Also, just as a point of reference, she's not my SO. I care about her very deeply (and I get the impression from that she cares about me too) but her and I are just friends and I'm happy that we are :D

Oh come now. I doubt she'd really think it was funny. It's more like a out there scenario- think south park or beavis and butt head. People- I - find what happens in those shows funny and a lot of times what happens would not be funny in real life. My guess is that's what she was going for.

Like I said before, she finds things like that very amusing and it's just strange to me. Not bad, just different, and as I said...something I've come to appreciate :). I know for a fact she doesn't genuinely find the idea of me seriously beating her to be funny at all... her ex-fiance hit her and she has this paranoid fear of being alone in a parking lot at night.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Se apprehends the literal object & its immediate, realistic possibilities. It also sees connections between these literal objects.
Ne apprehends the concept behind the object and what that concept implies for future, hypothetical possibilities (they don't need to be realistic ideas; if it can be imagined, then it's a possibility). It sees connections between the underlying concepts of objects, not their literal attributes. This is why Ne types appear absent-minded, because they are not focusing their minds on what exists around them literally at the moment, but on what exists in concept in the world in general. The mindset is still focused on external things, but it's abstract, intangible stuff.

I'm keeping with this explanation of the differences here. It is good :yes:

Ne is not about random connections. Random connections can even be a sign of inferior N.

Yes, the 'random connections' is more of an S-using-N thing. So, the original example does look more like an ESTP style of weirdness ;)

And this is also where that one cogntive function test fails. (1) Because "random connections" is a contradiction in terms, and (2) Ne simply isn't about randomness

Conclusion: flights of fancy have nothing to do with what type someone is :yes:

Well I'm not sure if I'd go that far... last time I checked, you were pretty balanced on S/N so you may be a bit ambiguous as an example ;)

I'm currently making a ballet dress out of plastic bags. This is a Se + (I think dominant) introverted judging thing, just as making multiple, very different meals out of five ingredients follows the same process. It's a, "look at what I have here. What are all of the different awesome concrete things I can make out of this?"

I agree that making different meals of given ingredients and the current process of making a dress are more on the Se side of things. But I'm not so sure that getting the idea of making a ballet dress of plastic bags is purely Se, since it is not immediately clear how to parallel plastic bags to the traditional use of thread. Things start to get a bit more conceptual there. But then I'm not an expert on Se, so I'm not going to say that it can't be done with purely SeJi.

Ne, I think, would take it to a whole different level: "all ballet dancers are going to wear plastic dresses and i'm going to change the whole production of plastic and when I'm living in space, in my plastic dress..."

:laugh: This does look rather NeTi, though it does not have to be grandiose and fantastical like this (even if I'm specifically very guilty of this style of "I'll revolutionize _____! And then in space....") I do think it's a good indicator for N over S if things do start getting grandiose-fantastical.

Your explanation though does reinforce my conclusion though that she's an Se-dom though as her train of thought is exactly the same. She likes the zaney and the weird like that, and has been called "crazy" by other friends and family.

:yes: Very important to remember that weird and crazy are not N-exclusive. It's more immediate/object-oriented vs. hypothetical/concept-oriented than crazy vs. normal.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
This is a very interesting thread. It has helped me see the differences between Se and Ne much more clearly. If I looked at a car on a road, I would probably think, "we could have boats and water instead of cars and asphalt." or maybe, "we could move the buildings into the middle of the road and put the roads where the buildings are." (Like 'river' vs. 'island' subway stations.) I'd say these thoughts are pretty concrete.

I think an Ne user might be less likely/quick to shut down the idea as unrealistic. These kinds of thoughts seem very silly to me, even though I have them all the time, but they probably don't seem silly to an Ne user... which is probably why NPs are known to actually push for change (with ideas they think are good/worthwhile, but this is just an example). By contrast, I like immediate, actionable ideas best.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure I can buy into disseminating humor or train of thought into singular processes. Something about it just doesn't read as accurate.