• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP (and all others), please help to understand if this situation at work is normal

Juliette

MBTI Type
INTJ
It annoys me, I feel like an idiot.

I'm an INTJ and my boss is an ISTP. If it helps, the department is quite big but only me and my boss are on Introverted side, the rest is Extroverted. There are no other INTJ's and I'm not the most experienced person in a team.

I like being praised, material awards, my promotion and things like this, but it seems too much now. Makes me feel guilty with each next praise.

It started nicely, when preparing my characteristics, he defined envisioning and leadership as my strengths and endorsed all my major projects, so the rest of the team must help me to deliver them.

Then it got annoying and I think the rest of the department is scared of me, never bothered about this before but now it gets to extreme. He checks strategic messages and recommendations with me and others see it. There were cases, when he couldn't go on strategic meetings and I was sent. When we need to send some materials to him, I'm usually the first one to send or the only one to meet the deadline - but I was ALWAYS this way, I don't need praise for this, definitely I don't need the others to hear it. Often, when someone seeks his approval, he asks, if I have seen it. What killed me completely was a department award, when everyone had to attent a short meeting, where he said that I got the award (first ever), explained why and if the others want the same, they should be like me.

Ok, maybe, I'm good at work but definitely not THAT good. So, what's going on?

Thank you.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
hmmm, it could be he just greatly values your abilities, ive noticed (not all) but a LOT of management ive worked for are not exactly that skilled... I worked for one im fairly certain was an ENTP who although very good at his job when he remembered to do it, he was very absent minded about a lot of that stuff, and he ended up acting much the same way towards me as you describe your boss acting towards you, including giving me much of his responsibilities...did I mention I started out as a Maintenance worker at this place? lol... he was extremely disappointed when I chose to leave my job (with a months notice)...

On the other side of the coin here... has there been any overt romantic overtures? it seems unlikely from your description, it sounds mostly like he is just happy he has somebody responsible to share duties with, but I could be wrong, so thought id ask...

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Without bringing type into this:

- he likely values your work
- perhaps he is making a public example of you for other's to follow, hence the showy rewards.
- what is stopping you from saying "all this attention makes me uncomfortable"?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On the other side of the coin here... has there been any overt romantic overtures? it seems unlikely from your description, it sounds mostly like he is just happy he has somebody responsible to share duties with, but I could be wrong, so thought id ask...

.what is stopping you from saying "all this attention makes me uncomfortable"?

My exact two thoughts.