• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP Careers? HELP!

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hoping some of you ISTP's, or people that personally know ISTP's can help me out here. My SO types ISTP, very border INTP.. and he is having a career crises. He is not one to bitch and moan, so when he says he HATES something, I take him seriously. As an ENFP, I can't bare seeing him so unhappy! He has a degree in printing, and works on these big press machines printing newspapers and magazines. He's done it for a few years and loved it.. till about a year ago. He told me he feels very stagnant and wants OUT entirely. I've racked my brain trying to help him pinpoint a good career. Tried to help analyze his needs, qualities, etc. I will give him different ideas, and how to get into it.. but he just. can't. decide.

What jobs have you ISTPs done that you really enjoyed and are able to stick with?

He really wants to go into forestry, but where we live its very competitive and you have to have a degree AND know the right people to even get an entry level pos.
I've read that ISTP's make natural leaders, and must say that he does not like leading, at all. He Hates telling others what to do. He likes guns, survivialist stuff, ammo, hunting, and music. He plays in a local band with some of his buddies. He is not that big into motorcycles, or crazy physical sports like they say istps are. This might be just him, or because he borders s/n and p/j so closely.. i dunno.

I personally think he would do great in the fire department, but he doesn't seem very enthused. I've told him many times he would be a great cop.. but he despises govt. and the justice system, so he wont even consider.

Help! What are your experiences? Is it normal for ISTP's to still be this directionless at 29? Are there things I can do to better help him figure it out? I'm at a loss....

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Auto mechanic. All day long. Can't go wrong. I literally know 4 ISTP mechanics. They get to use their hands, take things apart and put them back together again, troubleshoot, improvise, spend a lot of time on their own working independently, etc. I also know an ISTP that, like some INTP's, just can't decide. Switches careers about once a year. That's where passion comes in. You have to be passionate about it. And, ideally, there should be some variance inherent in the job he takes. If it's 8-to-5 every single day - exact same routine every single day, always doing the same exact type of work every single day, it gets way old for P's. As an ENFP, you probably understand this quite well.

Writers can avoid this by writing on a subject for a year or two, and then switching gears and going in a little bit different direction/starting a new, fresh project.

I know a professor who moves from university to university every 3 years or so. He gets burned out teaching the same exact classes, same exact location, same exact co-workers, same exact view out his office window, same exact commute every single morning, etc. So, when he starts feeling that "stress" building up that he needs to do something different, he starts applying elsewhere (different city and even different state) - and he has even taken 6 months off in between to get refreshed.

A lot of the singer/actor types will work on an album for a year or two, then work on a movie for a year. Then, back to music. Keeps things fresh.

There are innovative ways to do this. Job hopping is one way, although it isn't always a good long-term solution, it does keep you constantly in a new environment where things are fresh. That's where P's thrive. When things become routine and "blah", the P personality tends to "check out" mentally.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thanks INTPness. Some good ideas there. Originally I looked up ISTP careers and mechanic was top of the list. I've proposed this idea to him a few times, and again he doesn't dig on it. One might even be questioning if he is an ISTP, I have too for a while. I'm serious when I say he is like, right at the border of S/N. The job he does now involves a tremendous amount of mechanical knowledge, parts, troubleshooting, improvisation, and it seems to be the reason he hates it!

To be honest, I do not find him exceptionally mechanically inclined in a *general way*. He has to study all the details about something, master it through a combination of manuels and experiment, and then he "gets it." And when he does, he is like the best god dam fix it guy around. But until he does.. he's hopeless.

He really loves nature, the outdoors, biology, and is very chemistry oriented. He sits around reading my old college chem books for fun! (Sicko). He has thought about going into pharmacy work.. but I am really nervous about him doing this. Lets just say he has a love of chemicals in not always the most professional way. He had a problem a few years back before we met.. so I am fairly opposed to this type of work from a temptation standpoint.

He doubts his abilities in math and science, even though I can see a great passion there. He can spend hours researching weapons, survivalist guides, & geography. I've proposed he open his own gun/survivalist store.. but he doesn't seem to keen on the obligation it would entail. "P".

Any other ideas?

Bev

MBTI Type
ISTP
Don't get so stuck on what an ideal job for an istp is. Everyone is different and its just a guide. Just figure out his likes and look for things that have elements of them. He could just work in a gun/survivalist shop for a while to get some understanding of how to run it and stuff.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hoping some of you ISTP's, or people that personally know ISTP's can help me out here. My SO types ISTP, very border INTP.. and he is having a career crises. He is not one to bitch and moan, so when he says he HATES something, I take him seriously. As an ENFP, I can't bare seeing him so unhappy! He has a degree in printing, and works on these big press machines printing newspapers and magazines. He's done it for a few years and loved it.. till about a year ago. He told me he feels very stagnant and wants OUT entirely. I've racked my brain trying to help him pinpoint a good career. Tried to help analyze his needs, qualities, etc. I will give him different ideas, and how to get into it.. but he just. can't. decide.

What jobs have you ISTPs done that you really enjoyed and are able to stick with?
I'm going into scientific research (working on getting my phd now) and I really like it, but I wouldn't recommend it as a "see if you like it" kind of thing since it requires a LOT of education so you'd best be pretty sure you want to do it. I can definitely see how science (biology and engineering in particular) might appeal to istps, though.

He really wants to go into forestry, but where we live its very competitive and you have to have a degree AND know the right people to even get an entry level pos.
That sounds like an awesome job, if he really wants to why not? I find that ISTPs rarely "really want" things so I pay attention when we do. How long is the degree? How hard is it to network to meet "the right people"? That honestly sounds like the process to get most any skilled job, it doesn't sound unreasonable. There's also the possibility of moving to an area with more jobs.

I've read that ISTP's make natural leaders, and must say that he does not like leading, at all. He Hates telling others what to do.
Not sure where you've read this as it's not my experience with myself or with other istps. I'll lead if I have to (if shit isn't getting done otherwise) but I'm bad at it and don't enjoy it.
He likes guns, survivialist stuff, ammo, hunting, and music. He plays in a local band with some of his buddies. He is not that big into motorcycles, or crazy physical sports like they say istps are. This might be just him, or because he borders s/n and p/j so closely.. i dunno.
"they say" a lot of things. You're mistaking "istps are more likely than other types to be involved in X" with "istps are X". This goes for all types btw.
I personally think he would do great in the fire department, but he doesn't seem very enthused. I've told him many times he would be a great cop.. but he despises govt. and the justice system, so he wont even consider.
I would really, really hate those jobs. Don't push him towards it because "he's istp and that's what they must like!!!"
Help! What are your experiences? Is it normal for ISTP's to still be this directionless at 29? Are there things I can do to better help him figure it out? I'm at a loss....
I'll let you know when I get there, but I hope not.

Thanks INTPness. Some good ideas there. Originally I looked up ISTP careers and mechanic was top of the list. I've proposed this idea to him a few times, and again he doesn't dig on it. One might even be questioning if he is an ISTP, I have too for a while. I'm serious when I say he is like, right at the border of S/N.
Again, "istps are more likely to like X than other types" doesn't mean "istps like X". Very very important. I could never be a mechanic, and plenty of other istps here and elsewhere would hate it, too. It doesn't mean he's not istp, that's ridiculous.

To be honest, I do not find him exceptionally mechanically inclined in a *general way*. He has to study all the details about something, master it through a combination of manuels and experiment, and then he "gets it." And when he does, he is like the best god dam fix it guy around. But until he does.. he's hopeless.

He really loves nature, the outdoors, biology, and is very chemistry oriented. He sits around reading my old college chem books for fun! (Sicko).
This is all consistent with istp, if you're wondering. Not deciding factors, but consistent, sure.

He has thought about going into pharmacy work.. but I am really nervous about him doing this. Lets just say he has a love of chemicals in not always the most professional way. He had a problem a few years back before we met.. so I am fairly opposed to this type of work from a temptation standpoint.
Perhaps a pharmacist can weigh in on this, but I've gotten the impression that any "interesting" drugs are highly regulated, rather than there being a big tub of them in the back room for pharmacists to dip into. I suppose it would be a lot easier for him to steal them, but then he's risking his career. I can't tell if this is a reasonable concern or ridiculous paranoia without knowing the situation, though. Junkies are completely different from guys who" experimented" a bit in college or something.

He doubts his abilities in math and science, even though I can see a great passion there. He can spend hours researching weapons, survivalist guides, & geography. I've proposed he open his own gun/survivalist store.. but he doesn't seem to keen on the obligation it would entail. "P".

Any other ideas?
He likes math and science and nature, so you point him towards shopkeeping, being a mechanic, or being a firefighter/cop?? He says he really likes the idea of forestry or pharmacy and you discourage those ideas? I'm not sure what your reasoning is here....

You need to stop reading online type descriptions and start listening to him. If you pretend he's an ENFJ for a minute, would you still be suggesting he become a mechanic since he loves math and science and nature? No? Then stop doing it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, personally I would fucking hate being a cop/firefighter/mechanic/shopkeeper.

Also, I'm wondering, to what degree does he express interest in your input or help? I know that when I'm in that kind of dilemma, I really don't want to hear other people's suggestions. At all. Not one little bit. In general I find it infantilizing and intrusive, and I don't like the idea of not being the sole decision maker when it comes to the direction of my career.

I don't know what it's like for your SO, but I do know that when I have to make a big decision like that, I've usually narrowed down the desirable possibilities within a very short period of time (and considered most of the drawbacks and potential difficulties), and the rest is just getting other people's approval (if necessary) and working out the details of what I need to do next. I rarely sit in indecision for very long, and there's rarely anything that anyone can say about my choices that I haven't already taken into consideration.

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
This could be helpful: ISTP careers

But with careers, what's more important than MBTI type are your specific skills. People usually like stuff they're good at.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
What is it that he dislikes about his current job? That's might be a good starting point: what types of work can be ruled out?

Already said but worth repeating: remember - MBTI will only get you so far in insights into who someone is.

FWIW: I enjoy nature, working with chainsaws, mechanical work, and I'm considering getting my EMT-B and looking at fire/rescue. I enjoy that type of work. I think what ISTPs tend to have in common is a way of processing information - a sort of 'tactical analysis' - rather than any sort of specific job description, descriptions such as "The Mechanic" be damned.

Also, I'll just throw this one out there because it sounds like it might fit: surveyor. I'm assuming you're in a rural area? It's outdoors, possibly in the woods, then. You use your head and your tools. You plan things out and create a map - you mentioned geography. You work by yourself or with a small team. You could possibly get a job with or contract out to a forestry company. Might be of interest.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, personally I would fucking hate being a cop/firefighter/mechanic/shopkeeper.

Aaaaargh, me either. It's boring.

Personally, I'd avise to your SO to not think in term of "career", long term planning is not the most natural area for SPs. The most important thing is to live an independant, not regulated and carefree lifestyle and follow our impulses. ISTP is one of the smartest and more capable of all types and we can be good at everithing we want or almost just advise her to follow her impulses and positive reslults will naturally happen, wathever the area is. It is usually advised to avoid the careers who are too much involved in theory, but I think we are actually barely less fond of ideas and theories than NTs, but just more pragmatic and desirious to produce an impact on the world and to be practical, but INTJs and ENTPs have the same problem after all. Personally, the area I feel the most at ease is the realm of performing arts but I'm also very involved in political science, philosophy, law, psychology, and economy and I'm wondering if I won't resume my law studies, integrate a buisness school for a mid-working/mid-learning contract with a company or puruse my humanities studies. But I'm just one example of course. Not more significant than another.

Isa

MBTI Type
ISTP
I can relate to the job-hopping. I just turned 30 and after a few years in the financial sector (I majored in econ) I'm ready for a more exciting career. Right now I'm leaning towards network administrator (i love the independence and ability to work on my own at nights) or pilot (sense of adventure...rare for a woman). I'll update once the change occurs.

lb11

FWIW, I'm 30, and am pretty directionless. Or at least I probably look that way to everyone else. I actually have a general direction figured out, but I've been stuck doing the same thing for the past 10 years and hate it. This made the typical ISTP job hopping opportunities non existent for me. The reason I say this is because i have an idea of what I want to do, but not having any experience trying out different areas of work, I find it hard to commit. Especially at 30 since whatever I do will require school, time, money etc. I don't particularly want to be 40 in the same position I am now.
Maybe he has similar thoughts going through his head.
Anyways I have to agree with the other post, you seem to be pushing him in the opposite direction of what hes telling you.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I can relate to the job-hopping. I just turned 30 and after a few years in the financial sector (I majored in econ) I'm ready for a more exciting career. Right now I'm leaning towards network administrator (i love the independence and ability to work on my own at nights) or pilot (sense of adventure...rare for a woman). I'll update once the change occurs.

I know for network admin you usually need to start working at a help desk for a few years before moving up.

Isa

MBTI Type
ISTP
I know for network admin you usually need to start working at a help desk for a few years before moving up.

Yep, you're totally right! Pilot it is then! Right now I figure I'm going to suck it in and do whatever job I need to do during the graveyard shift and get my pilot training during the day. Sigh. I knew I should have gone into the the air force when I had the chance!

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Yep, you're totally right! Pilot it is then! Right now I figure I'm going to suck it in and do whatever job I need to do during the graveyard shift and get my pilot training during the day. Sigh. I knew I should have gone into the the air force when I had the chance!

Funny because only an ISTP can choose between two extremely separate jobs, I can defiantly relate to that.

nomoreshallwepart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I know ISTP mechanics as well, that is such a true stereotype. Any kind of artisan, craftsperson or problem solver would probably suit you guys I reckon.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was pretty directionless till about 28 and eventually managed to land up doing something i like. So ended up with direction more through luck than judgement. I was bored of what i was doing and decided I needed a change. I think for me i either have to work in a field im passionate about (I have in the past). So it doesnt seem like work. I was riding horses part time(doesnt pay that great) and playing semi professional rugby. (too many injuries and i'm getting on a bit!)

Now i am working as a bodyguard. How i arrived where i am now was by deciding what was most important to me. ie: a degree of freedom and flexibility to hours/work. Time off and enough dollar to do what i want. And something that is different every day. One of my friends recommended I should go and do it. And I had just been off rugby with a broken hand so i thought I should give it a go. And even if you have to go away and train for it it is worth it when you find something that is right. I found something I was good at. And it comes easy to me. And the hours and the lifestyle suit me massively. Theres a lot of waiting and very little action. But hey, waiting is what we are good at right?

So yeah he needs to think about what is important to him in working life. sometimes advice is welcome, but you can't tell him. he has to decide. Maybe give him some suggestions and leave them with him to think. And let him come to you to talk about it. if you try and push him, he wont go!

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know it's common, but we really DO seem to be naturals for IT, especially with a 6w5 enneagram type. I think also that instinctual variants can be meaningful in choosing careers. I don't think I would mind going forward with some sort of psychology, or a career having to do with relationships...... maybe enneagram types or something. I love improving my own relations irl, typing people, and matching people..... Maybe I should start my own dating website based on the types.

Either way, I think I am much less action-oriented than the descriptions of ISTP seem to suggest. I would much rather be sitting at a computer analyzing than doing mechanical work. I think it has something also to do with enneagram type.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I know it's common, but we really DO seem to be naturals for IT, especially with a 6w5 enneagram type. I think also that instinctual variants can be meaningful in choosing careers. I don't think I would mind going forward with some sort of psychology, or a career having to do with relationships...... maybe enneagram types or something. I love improving my own relations irl, typing people, and matching people..... Maybe I should start my own dating website based on the types.

Either way, I think I am much less action-oriented than the descriptions of ISTP seem to suggest. I would much rather be sitting at a computer analyzing than doing mechanical work. I think it has something also to do with enneagram type.

mechanical works is pretty similar to IT they both require heavy troubleshooting only difference is IT is much more technical and less physical.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
mechanical works is pretty similar to IT they both require heavy troubleshooting only difference is IT is much more technical and less physical.

Yes, pretty much.