• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SPs and poetry...

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Ezra Pound rocks my socks.
TS Eliot can be good occasionally.
And I like the emotion in Katie Rosemurgy's work.
Some of Wordsworth is okay.

On the whole, I enjoy poetry, but don't find myself opening books of poems very often. I do keep some Ezra Pound by my bed.

SeanMC86

MBTI Type
ESFP
I don't like poetry at all. Living and experiencing emotions and what you see is more important. Poetry is not real. It is a bunch of complex words to help you imagine something. Why would you want to read and imagine something great instead of being a part of something great and living it yourself??? Go out of your house and do something. For real.

zarita

Yeah, I pretty much don't like poetry. I find it mostly too juicy/corny for my taste. Of course, there are poets I like and also poems I like, but as I said most of it is just too corny. Unless I'm in a state of depression, I don't really enjoy poetry.

nanashi

MBTI Type
INTJ
I was really encouraged in English through school. (My mom--an INFP--constantly read to me.) I took the grammar/rules part of it, memorized that, and used it to construct/fix whatever I needed to. It was a performance thing. I read extensively but, looking back, didn't like a lot. My sibling is a poet, and I like the way she does it. I've started reading Hemingway. Supposedly he was an SP. I really like Edna St. Vincent Millay. I pick up her Complete Works when I'm going to have to sit for a few seconds--like on a bus or when I'm waiting in line for the pisser to be vacant. There's more I like, but I don't seek poetry out all of the time. I think it can be eloquent, present, self-aware, and comforting.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I've started reading Hemingway. Supposedly he was an SP. I really like Edna St. Vincent Millay.

I like Hemingway's novels, but I didn't know he wrote poetry. And I don't think I've read Edna St. Vincent Millay, but I've heard the name before. Got any links?

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I always felt kind of cheated that school never taught me much of anything (if anything at all) about poetry. I mean, you have to read at LEAST 3 Shakespeare plays (which I suppose can sort of be counted as poetry, but I generally think of as drama), but we don't have time to really explore poetry as a writing alternative to prose- through all the different purposes it can fulfill (narrative, etc.).

Haven't really encountered any poets I like except e.e. cummings. His poems are somewhat like puzzles, and I like the feeling of my brain trying to assemble meaning, and how strangely the meaning does come together. And he's fairly succinct to boot! It's beautiful. (Will find examples later- my books are all currently in boxes.)

I've gone through my unfortunate teenage poetry stage- but I think I should study more poetry before I enter an unfortunate 20-yr-old poetry stage. :laugh:

mooky

I used to like poetry when I was younger. Used to write quite a lot to..........Had more writen about me though, LOL. Good old days :)

I still like songs that rhmye, dose that count?

I have a head for songs an whiticisms.

anotherthink

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hmm. In general poetry doesn't speak to me much (especially not "classic" poetry or the kind of stuff that typically makes it into English classes), though I've enjoyed it occasionally (especially poetry more focused on wordplay or on describing a concrete situation... heh).
My INTP lit-crit partner has occasionally persuaded me to read and discuss some poems with him, and I get more out of it seeing what he sees in it. But for the most part, not a poetry person.

Oh. And I agree with others in this thread who think "playground" is more appropriate than "arthouse" for this sub-forum (also thinking of the sense as in "playground/sandbox" on wikis as an area open for improvising!).

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
The "arthouse" title is based off the SPs being called "artisans", (the other forums have a similar pattern, which is why the words describing the forum might seem a bit of a stretch.)

At least, that's why I think the titles are what they are.

alicia91

"arthouse" title is based off the SPs being called "artisans"

I like it and find it quite appropriate. Several of my friends and family members are SP's and some of their professions include: fashion designer, florist, model, painter/stained-glass designer, and graphic designer. I'm an Interior Decorator/Real-Estage Stager.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like writing poetry a lot more than reading it.

I love song lyrics though, just usually not as much when they are detached from the song itself, but some lyrics are great even by themselves.

Kleinheiko

MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't understand what makes a poem a poem. If I take something that I wrote, break it up into lines, and place it interestingly on a piece of paper, I can call it a poem and it will be more critically acclaimed than when it had been previously a piece of prose.

I took a creative writing class, and the only difference that I learned between prose and poetry in that class is that poems are called poems, and prose is called prose. Poems don't always rhyme, have rhythm, have stanzas, or have figurative language. sometimes they don't even look like poems.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
xSFPs might be more apt to reading/creating poetry and songwriting...

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
Like Jeffster, I love writing poetry, but not necessarily reading it.

And I love song lyrics!

D

Dali

I do love reading some poems; not necessarily writing them though and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought poetry was more an NF thing.

Here's one of my favourites. I do generally enjoy Robert Frost. DH Lawrence is another whose works I enjoy as is Wilfred Owen.

MENDING WALL

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun,
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
'Stay where you are until our backs are turned!'
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'.
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
'Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
Where there are cows?
But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.' I could say 'Elves' to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me~
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My ISFP mom loved/loves poetry and used to recite some (most often Blake) for me when I was little. So that's one more person to support the SP-poetry link.