• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP Description

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Thanks. I like the fact that it balances the stereotype of a thrill seeking daredevil with that of a person who can be both skillful and intelligent.

alicia91

Thanks Dave - very good description. I found the ISFP description good too (just not sure it's ME).

Since when are you ISTP - I must have missed that development? :)

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Thanks Dave - very good description. I found the ISFP description good too (just not sure it's ME).

Since when are you ISTP - I must have missed that development? :)

Eh, it happens :D

Although I can Fe like a mad man doing so drains my energy and makes me cranky. --> I

I often come up with crazy ideas which would indicate a preference for Ne. However, I am not absent minded and I notice everything (new haircuts, shoes, etc.) --> Se

I realized through discussion with the NTs on this forum that I am not the same as them as I am not as "deep" as they are. Intelligent and rational for certain but my interests lie in tangible things such as: computers, cars, boats, planes, go-karts,etc. probably --> Ti

Also, although I'm quite organized I recently remembered that I wasn't always this way. Also, I am a master at procrastination and fun diversions. --> p

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I liked the description a lot, first one I've seen that mentions weapons....I have a strange fascination with them, and it hadn't occured to me before now that my ability/accuracy with them could be related to the love of and skill with hands on/mechanical things. I'm a very good shot, with pretty much anything I've ever used.

No amount of cajoling, rewarding, punishing, or threat will get them to do their school work.

That is certainly the truth (my parents slowly have realized that). For certain things, you could offer me a million bucks, or threaten to take away all privileges/things, and I still won't do it.

Unless it is actually useful, I have no interest in spending my time doing it, and generally won't do it. The solution I've come up with this year (I've gotten okay grades the past few years, mostly B's from getting 0's on homework), is doing as much as possible during class. When my options are zoning out/listening to the teacher explain something, or doing some pointless work, the work becomes the more interesting option, and actually gets done.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I liked the description a lot, first one I've seen that mentions weapons....I have a strange fascination with them, and it hadn't occured to me before now that my ability/accuracy with them could be related to the love of and skill with hands on/mechanical things. I'm a very good shot, with pretty much anything I've ever used.

That is certainly the truth (my parents slowly have realized that). For certain things, you could offer me a million bucks, or threaten to take away all privileges/things, and I still won't do it.

Unless it is actually useful, I have no interest in spending my time doing it, and generally won't do it. The solution I've come up with this year (I've gotten okay grades the past few years, mostly B's from getting 0's on homework), is doing as much as possible during class. When my options are zoning out/listening to the teacher explain something, or doing some pointless work, the work becomes the more interesting option, and actually gets done.

My brother loves weapons. I'm more of a tools and vehicles type of guy. Nevertheless I've always liked the bow and arrow, and throwing-knives.

As for school work, I've always did relatively well but it was on my terms. During High School and as a college undergraduate I clashed with some of my teachers but ultimately (thankfully) I always scored high on exams.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Back in high school I would only do my homework in class. I think the teachers just assumed I was taking notes. If I didn't finish, I'd just do it during lunch or right before it was due. If it still wasn't done, I didn't really care. I don't think I ever even studied once. Didn't matter, cause I went to college a year earlier anyway.

I remember once my parents threatened to take away my computer because I had low grades and was just playing video games. I said that was fine, but if they did that I wouldn't do any school work until I failed the class. I wasn't bluffing. They backed down. I passed the class.

And they say we have bad people skills.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
My brother loves weapons. I'm more of a tools and vehicles type of guy. Nevertheless I've always liked the bow and arrow, and throwing-knives.

I pretty much enjoy all of those things, if I ever move out of New Jersey, I'd like to get a rifle of some sort for target practice.

Back in high school I would only do my homework in class. I think the teachers just assumed I was taking notes. If I didn't finish, I'd just do it during lunch or right before it was due. If it still wasn't done, I didn't really care. I don't think I ever even studied once. Didn't matter, cause I went to college a year earlier anyway.

That's pretty much what I do. It works well, and keeps me from being completely bored in classes.

alicia91

Also, although I'm quite organized I recently remembered that I wasn't always this way. Also, I am a master at procrastination and fun diversions. --> p

heh heh - I completely understand!

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
ISTPs will stare coldly into the eyes of the teacher and not even say no. No amount of cajoling, bribing, rewarding, punishing, or threat will get them to do their school work. School work, quite apart from being irrelevant, is after all mere preparation for something the ISTPs figure they’re never going to do anyway.

That's what's most like me in there. I have issues with the whole education system :-/

Last edited:

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
I liked the description a lot, first one I've seen that mentions weapons....I have a strange fascination with them, and it hadn't occured to me before now that my ability/accuracy with them could be related to the love of and skill with hands on/mechanical things.

Yeah, I've always had a fascination with weapons too. which led to me choreographing theatrical stage combat and being secretary in a fencing club. :D

"Commitments"--NOOOooooooo!! That one's gonna be the death of me. :(

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting how the ISTPs enjoy the same description that's from Please Understand Me. Or are you all just talking about the top half?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I have a good example of what might be considered stereotypical artisan behavior.

I'm currently taking a graduate course online. How the course works is the course material is covered in seven, two week periods. At the end of each period we have to take a quiz and the grade from the quiz is our grade for the period.

The period that I just finished required a ton of reading (which I hate as tech. books are very dry) so I decided to skip the reading and take the quiz, figuring that I have some knowledge of the subject matter and could dig up any answers I didn't know if I had to.

So I took the test and got a 92, and saved myself about a days worth of reading.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
:doh: Sorry about that.

It must be an accurate description. Either that or we have a bunch of poseur posting to this thread. I'm going to assume it's the former.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, although this ISTP description says that they're impulsive, fearless, and dyslexic, it at least acknowledges their interest in weapons and tools...

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Interesting how the ISTPs enjoy the same description that's from Please Understand Me. Or are you all just talking about the top half?
Which is one reason that I have not responded to this thread till now. I knew the first example was the Tiegers which I find accurate. However for some reason I thought the latter description was from Otto Kroeger. I don't like Keirsey's descriptions and along with Kroeger's book, each time I refer back to it, I want to burn the book after reading it.

Keirsey does give a better depiction of the ISTP at the Lifexplore website. The latter description of the Realist belongs to him. As I have told INTJMom, I actually prefer the bullet type of descriptions over the narratives. A good one for me is this one from Teamtechnology, which has made me wonder why you cannot locate Meyers-Briggs' actual descriptions from her book "Gifts Differing".

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I like the Team Technology descriptions. I must say that I identify with the INTJ description under stress. I'm the kind of person that blows up in rage when I'm insecure or angry. I tend to curse people out even though I have nothing against them personally, but because I have something to vent on. And the times of stress is when I become concerned with status and even materialistic.