• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Female ISTP's... how do you act?

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Probably working in the IT dept. of any medium to large size company.

Brain Surgens too. ISTP best/f wanted to be one since childhood but she later figured it was going to be too "restrictive" of a hassle of always being "needed" so no flexibility for her freedom! and it'd waste more of her time. She decided being a neurologist is better, still gets to learn it all but just not apply it the same (she still LOVES watching it done and is transfixed + excited when watching brain surgery on TV...)

I think she can still shred into people's brains verbally or under anger become close to doing it physically....albeit not caring if she's as messy about it as she is with when trying to 'fix' her Ground Zero room but ends up not bothering. Edit: not bothering with the room, that is, and not bothering to *ahem* fix people's brains. It's a thrill, meknows, for her to do that... :devil: :devil: :devil:

:devil:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I've got a good question to discern your ability to think outside the box.

You are asked to empty a bathtub full of water and are given a spoon, a cup and a bucket. How do you empty the bath tub?

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
I've got a good question to discern your ability to think outside the box.

You are asked to empty a bathtub full of water and are given a spoon, a cup and a bucket. How do you empty the bath tub?

Just like my bestfriend....no SPECIFICS as to who's being asked grrr! ;)

So, yea, me or someone else or everyone else?

Guessing it's everyone else or just me....:whistling:

Edit: But I'll say, I'd just pull out the plug.

And I feel that I've won the question! :devil:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Just like my bestfriend....no SPECIFICS as to who's being asked grrr! ;)

So, yea, me or someone else or everyone else?

Guessing it's everyone else or just me....:whistling:

Edit: But I'll say, I'd just pull out the plug.

And I feel that I've won the question! :devil:

Not to tip my hand too much but the lack of specifics is part of the question.

And, yeah. By all means give it a go. I posted it for anyone to try.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Not to tip my hand too much but the lack of specifics is part of the question.

And, yeah. By all means give it a go. I posted it for anyone to try.

I was teasing you :D I figured it was for everyone. But I did answer it! I said I'd pull out the plug! And I'm one type of right for being 'outside the box', aren't I? :devil:

Maybe another person would tamper with the plumbing to release the water or maybe someone would take the spoon to fill the cup to fill the bucket even though it would become useless unless the bucket was the same size of the tub....but it's so labourous to do so and it's probably a stupid person who'd do it....

My INTJ sis was joking about the latter (she guessed pull out the plug too)...joking somewhat...:D

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I was teasing you :D I figured it was for everyone. But I did answer it! I said I'd pull out the plug! And I'm one type of right for being 'outside the box', aren't I? :devil:

Maybe another person would tamper with the plumbing to release the water or maybe someone would take the spoon to fill the cup to fill the bucket even though it would become useless unless the bucket was the same size of the tub....but it's so labourous to do so and it's probably stupid person who'd do it....

My INTJ sis was joking about the latter (she guessed pull out the plug too)...joking somewhat...:D

You are correct. When asked this question my answer was
take the spoon to fill the cup to fill the bucket

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
You are correct. When asked this question my answer was .

Now I feel like an ass writing that even when my sis was telling me not to b/c some people probably answered that too :doh: ....and my sis, INTJ cold-ass that she can be, feels bad now b/c she predicted someone would say that and she didn't stop me....

Your admittance and not being offended reminds me of my ISTP best/f not caring she was wrong (if it's not seriously important + put down for 'being wrong' if so..) ...unless you really are upset at me or my sis for not stopping me and you were so subtle I can't tell if you are upset b/c I'm bad at subtlety....:cry:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Now I feel like an ass writing that even when my sis was telling me not to b/c some people probably answered that too :doh: ....and my sis, INTJ cold-ass that she can be, feels bad now b/c she predicted someone would say that and she didn't stop me....

Your admittance and not being offended reminds me of my ISTP best/f not caring she was wrong (if it's not seriously important + put down for 'being wrong' if so..) ...unless you really are upset at me or my sis for not stopping me and you were so subtle I can't tell if you are upset b/c I'm bad at subtlety....:cry:

No worries, I'm not the least bit offended. Everyone has their strengths and thinking out of the box isn't one of mine. In fact there's not much that upsets me.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
I guess what I meant was where are ISTP females when they aren't doing something they have to do to make money.

And I'd just flip the tub over. Unless it's not that kind of tub, then I'd just fix the drain.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I guess what I meant was where are ISTP females when they aren't doing something they have to do to make money.

And I'd just flip the tub over. Unless it's not that kind of tub, then I'd just fix the drain.

Flipping the tub over. I'm going to steal that one. Thanks.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz

Funny you said that and you're an ISTP too. I remarked as a joke that someone else, who wouldn't pull the plug as I would, would go to fix the drain as I imagined my ISTP best/f might! lol

I could see her flipping the tub too...if she could before realising she's in trouble b/c she didn't realise the mess would result...but wouldn't care as THEY asked HER and it's not her mess to clean up even IF they asked her to clean it :rofl1:

Edit:...Whoa...I can't even guess as to how I made the error in making multiple reponses, so "out of the box-thinker" though I may be, I still make mistakes! :doh:

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Well yeah, he just said to empty it. If water spillage is an issue, you can just jam the back end of the spoon in the drain to dislodge all the junk clogging it up. Then while it's draining you can use the bucket to dump bathwater into the toilet. That'll be 300 dollars ma'am.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder if you've looked at Cognitive Processes yet? This is an INTJ site which goes into the CP for INTJs. However for INTJs it may only seem like, the wise man who made it created a chart below for ALL Types so they could pattern in their own CP but make use their own descriptions by following along (assuming they know what Introverted Feeling/Thinking etc is) and know themselves well enough. Try it and it may help.
Yep, I'm fairly confident in saying that by now I've seen the majority of reputable information on types available online...now it's really just introspection and fitting myself into the archetypes I know.
I don't think off of that, even if vague, that you're an INTJ. I'm going to take a bet on ISTP but I'm just being lazy in not explaining....INFJs can do that like INTJs too....just tell you what they 'know' but not explain how they 'know' as sometimes they don't know 'how' they know :doh:
Yeah, I was talking to a friend tonight and he was like "no way you're a J...you're the most indecisive person ever". Hence the type uncertainty. And I do resonate more with ISTP, so maybe it really is right.
As for ISTP, as my lovely best friend is, she may have Ground Zero for her bedroom but she is WICKEDLY GREAT at "charting the course" as am I and my little sister. When we all three work together, we get it all mapped out and surge quickly. Sometimes it's just difference of POV which can stall but if we've already agreed on something before hand, it's like magic~ if ISTP friend doesn't just listen to "us" and logically shreds other's for disagreeing with us, as "We're right, you f*ing morons!" which then gets my much younger sis into "logically" restraining others + unnerving them with her cold response as opposed to the firey one of my friend while IIIIII mediate, play nice until so upset no one is playing nice (including sis/friend) or the "other group" is so erroneous + ignored my logical points nicely stated for them to understand we're right (they're wrong!) that I shred into their he/art too.

We all three then become charting Monsters crushing the wrongness of others. I rescind into guilt first that I didn't help anyone (even sis/friend) but reacted in bias for sis/friend, sis gets mad she "reacted" into anger b/c of best/f (+ me) and didn't leave the morons alone, bestfriend gets mad she was mad b/c of the morons. Best/f recovers fast ("W/e"), sis next ("Never again") and me last ("Must try to help more!!")

Which seems more like you of my INTJ sis and ISTP bestfriend?
Well....I can't really tell anything of your INTJ sis from this. But as I said your friend does sound quite similar to me.

Also, :wtf: at justdave 'being' ISTP now. You're going to confuse the new people who don't realize you're changing your type as often as most people change clothes.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Yep, I'm fairly confident in saying that by now I've seen the majority of reputable information on types available online...now it's really just introspection and fitting myself into the archetypes I know.
Yeah, I was talking to a friend tonight and he was like "no way you're a J...you're the most indecisive person ever". Hence the type uncertainty. And I do resonate more with ISTP, so maybe it really is right.
Well....I can't really tell anything of your INTJ sis from this. But as I said your friend does sound quite similar to me.

The J vs P Myth thing pisses me off. And I'm a xxxJ.

ISTPs can be VERY decisive. It's a matter of if they CARE to lol Even if they aren't, they can SEEM it as their Communication Style (like mine, INFJ) is Directing. So they are very 'direct' when speaking and can probably BS a lot of people into thinking their right even when they don't explain themselves well as they react QUICK (Se is their 2nd CP).

And being stubborn on a point helps :D

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP

Also, :wtf: at justdave 'being' ISTP now. You're going to confuse the new people who don't realize you're changing your type as often as most people change clothes.

Not anymore. I'm certain now.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Probably working in the IT dept. of any medium to large size company.

Right on!!!!

I program for Dillard's and worked at a help desk for 4.5 years :D

Edit:
When I'm not at work I'm usually at home watching some DVD (I hate commercials and most movie channels don't play what I want to watch when I want to watch it). I spend a lot of time in front of my computer.

As for going out - I like bars/pubs. A nice place to sit, drink and talk to the people I'm with. Having the TV's is good in case of conversation lulls... And if the bar/pub has good food (and not crappy bar food), all the better!
I hate going out to dance. If I do go, I'm the one sitting in the corner guarding my friends' purses, jackets, whatever.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Right on!!!!

I program for Dillard's and worked at a help desk for 4.5 years :D

Edit:
When I'm not at work I'm usually at home watching some DVD (I hate commercials and most movie channels don't play what I want to watch when I want to watch it). I spend a lot of time in front of my computer.

As for going out - I like bars/pubs. A nice place to sit, drink and talk to the people I'm with. Having the TV's is good in case of conversation lulls... And if the bar/pub has good food (and not crappy bar food), all the better!
I hate going out to dance. If I do go, I'm the one sitting in the corner guarding my friends' purses, jackets, whatever.

I recently broke out of my Help Desk/Desktop Support role. Now I am a jack of all trades security/network admin and I love it. My new boss is awesome because monday mornings she will give me a list of tasks and then send me on my way.

I used to be the guy guarding my friends stuff. Now I don't bother going out as I find bars to be very boring. I'm more of an activities type of guy.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
First, my brother. He is a college wrestler, 20 years old, double majoring in Biology and Psychology. On top of that, he is a huge technology nerd. He loves the newest gadgets, and is an active visitor of many techy websites such as download.com, digg.com, etc. He keeps up on the newest technology almost religiously, but is very modest about it, and doesn't look at it any deeper than a hobby... even though many have tried to convince him its his passion.

Reminds me of my best friend, even the modesty part. She was a sports junkie as a kid but she wasn't good with commitment in the long run. I'm assuming, as it seems highly like of her though she hasn't confirmed (but will :D), that it was because she couldn't tolerate the kids or coaches if they appeared superfluously silly to her. Another reason was that her family moved quite a bit, including going to another country before returning to Canada. I can see her deducing it'd be pointless in trying to make any effort other than for fun, with friends and on her own, as there'd be nothing to gain. She's always done well in school, except not so well with English-oriented subjects. As I said, she's studying Biological-Chemistry to become a neurologist.

He has a girlfriend of 2 1/2 years, an ENFP who pretty much wrapped her grip around him before he went to college. They were on and off relationship status in high school, but now they live together. He was very awkward about his feelings when they were getting together, and he still is in many ways. It was so awkward it was just plain hilarious at first, but now he's pretty good about it. He figured his emotions out nicely, and it pretty much is her doing. They have their own language, and it's really funny when he talks to other people with her around, because in many ways he doesn't know how to respond. He's used to talking logical to most everyone in the world, but with her they have a feeling driven relationship. I find it cute, but annoying if I want to talk to him with her around sometimes.

She 'superfically' dated a guy in HS just for the hell of it as he'd shly asked her (despite being seen as a 'stud'). She didn't find him attractive, or "so-so but not for me", didn't find him interesting. She just did it to do it...and I suspect for the thrill of a few of the stupid girls who challenged her on semi-regular basis or "draping" themselves on him (to his chagrin). She'd just shrug and didn't so much as care. "Do you realise how desperate you look? Pathetic. ___, I'm going to the library."

She once asked me, when a guy she was dating didn't want long-term, "What does long-term mean? I don't get it" and after a bit of non-exclusive dating, broke it off. She liking someone else but hadn't told me as with the first (I figured both out), and after a few months when I realised, I retorted, "You've liked him for a few months, haven't you, you brat! And it was "THEN!" And she laughed hysterically as I know her too well. I hadn't seen him around her so I wouldn't have known initially. She's NOT obvious in showing she's affected by romance until she's securely in a relationship. She shows it to me but hesitantly, shly, and not even when she admits to herself for liking someone. Or I'll tell her she likes someone, she denies it when I push the subject, then later admits "Yea, I liked him." Me = :coffee: Mhmm, Uh huh.

He is a fairly big and intimidating guy, with a wrestling record that is very good... which gives him immediate respect to other athletes... but he is seemingly oblivious to this, and doesn't communicate with jocks past the wrestling mat. He considers them pretty single minded as a whole. In high school, his killer academics and wrestling status gave him this respect that he didn't even really know existed. We had a group of friends in high school of about 8 people, and we never really expanded past that. He was happy with the group of friends, and we entertained each other plenty without having to seek out the rest of the school.

She's 5'1 and is intimidating to many. Many fear her and it's not because of her eruptions of anger. She exudes self-confidence, has no fear of anyone and is respected by others. Even when she's extremely critical of people, as they've been found logically lacking common sense w/ any argument they think they can BS her on, she then tears into their he/art. Later, they newly appear as slaves wanting to please her. And she dislikes that! She hates followers, of all kinds, or those who think to please her. She's told me numerous times she values me, not only because I'm stupidly kind or that I'm the receiving ear to her ranting/enquiring voice but because I STAND UP TO HER when she's BS-ing me, or anyone, or being ignorant or insensitive to others. I'm not a push over (unless she thinks I'm being so to be "PC" or too nice). Oh, and I'm logical. Sometimes. But sometimes becomes she sees it my way a bit later :devil: She takes you as you are and doesn't really plumb deeper unless you're important to her.

He admits, however, that he could never do what I do, and he considers it a gift that I can to that... and I consider it a gift he can do that.

Awwwwwwww, you're both gifted with brotherly love! :wubbie:

Should we be worried? JK JK! :D People misunderstand my sis and I for being "too close" + understanding, having 'mind-links'. "It's not natural for siblings to be close. You have to, like, fight!" :rolli:

Something that made him hard to type (he agrees he's an ISTP), was he is also very religious, and he is questionably nice to pretty much everyone he meets. He basically mimics their exact behavior on instinct, and has these bursts of real excitement once you touch upon a topic that he actually cares about. He is social in a way that he is a pretty good looking guy, is nice to everyone, and mimics their behavior. This is how he tends to make/keep friends, and it works quite well. Some other of his passions are acting, video games, God, and every sport ever invented. He has no trouble being confident in pursuing any of these passions.

Are you sure it's "questionally nice" and not superfically nice as in it's just to be polie and nothing more unless he knows them better? My bestfriend seems like she likes EVERYone until they realise she could care less about them but was just being "nice" in the moment, not to fake it, but because they were nice to her. If she doesn't develop an interest into being your friend, then nothing results. She gets amused, a bit annoyed, when people mistaken her for a friend. Sometimes it's resulted in big blow ups. One girl whom she barely tolerates is the CLINGIEST girl I've met since my stalker *ahem* who constantly says "I love you baby, baby I love you! No I love you more! No you hang up! Nooo you!" and her BF in return is just as bad (I've witnessed this on more than one occasion...). This girl was forewarned on not approaching my friend when she's angry. When my friend BLEW UP, towards a truly incompetent person (I've blown up at him a few times before she even knew him), that the silly girl tried "hugging" her to which my friend blew up at HER. She shouted that "___ knows to not even touch me and even when she does it's okay b/c she's my BESTFRIEND, you are NOT EVEN CLOSE!"------That girl has done worse though, so don't feel sorry for her as I mistakenly did---

He has a very laid back style and sense of humor coupled with his academics and never-ending athletics...

:shock: That's her too! She can be so lazy and not bother showing up for labs or class if she already 'knows' it (she maintains high grades). I said she wanted to be a neurologist...well, since childhood she wanted to be a neurosurgeon until she found out how labourious it would be + NO flexibility for freedom and it'd take LONGER to do in med school + specializing later in residency which would be longer than normal due to more complexities etc etc. She is transfixed if she sees anything so much as taken a part, surgery on a brain on TV, or animals or anything. As a little kid she tore open a frog to peer into it...ONLY that one time.....that I know of...that she's admitted....:horor:

(differing from my brother, who is very blatant about it... most likely because it's quite literally how he interacts with his gf all the time).

Hmm. I wouldn't just say that. It's more complex. Many factors, or facets of people, must be taken into account. Childhood rearing + enviornment + circumstances + people + crises, for better and for worse and for great etc...

I feel like I'm always the one controlling the conversation, and I come off more eccentric than normal. This fact alone makes me love to talk to them (aside from family and long friendship), because I can make connections in the moment that I usually wouldn't catch just sitting around thinking.

If it seems like that, as I can 'look' as though I dominate the convo with her too, it's because her Ti is aborbing all that I'm saying in order to approve that I'm making logical sense, piece the interesting points I make so she can ask me to elucidate further if she "kinda" gets it or doesn't (and wants to), or because she'd just rather watch me think outloud as it's interesting and humourous as to all my Ni's insights lol

I've been able to take what she says and push it further too, to which

Her:"Huh, I never thought of it like that. You're such a freak to think that---"
Me ready to (teasingly) Fe :steam:
Her----*shrug* "but you may be smarter than I am. Eh. All I know is I'm going to be rich..."
Me: Really?!!!! You think I might be smarter! :wubbie: I know I--
Her: Don't get ahead of yourself! I said "may be". Stop smiling at me. I'm not joking-- Don't hug me! Awwww, stop! No, get off! What are you doing! :horor:
Me: :devil: This is why men would hate me for marking you as MINE! :D :devil:
Her: For someone so openminded and a weird mean kind of nice err, you can be really frickin' evil. Like me. I like you more when you act mean. Just twistedly creative about it, so it's all good, whatever gets the job done. Keep it up. :nice:
Me: Nooo!
Her: Well----THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR GIVING ME A CONSCIENCE, YOU STUPID B****
Me: THEN STOP CORRUPTING ME IN LOSING MINE, YOU IGNORANT B****
Then we hysterically laugh and laugh....honestly...we are incorrigible with the other when it comes to laughter and laughing at people....:blush:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like the pubs that have a nice steak dinner to go with the beer I'm ordering - nice way to watch the game. :D

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
Just so you know, Introverted Feeling is an ISTP's DEMONIC Cognitive Process!! :cry: The worst of the worst! They don't trust their feelings let alone others'! With growth, they'll change. Or if surrounded/grew up with people who helped them through the awkwardness of feelings.

I couldn't point yet the difference b/w ISTP females and males but I'll say I know she gets apprehensive when feelings are 'extroverted' to her by ANYone. Even if she tries making someone feel better, it's awkward watching her (even when she tries helping me lolol). She'll sooner start joking to cheer someone up if she barely knows them. Unless they truly tell her all and expect to her to be serious which she'll do and then end with a joke to lighten it up (she can't stand sappy movies for the most part. LOVES action/killing/explosives/fighting/hot men lol)

Ack, yes. I can't stand chick flicks, and get kicked out of the room for making snide commentary during musicals. My "stuffed shirt" ESTJ fiance is more emotional than me. He's made one of his projects my education in romance, which I apparently know nothing about (he's a hopeless romantic). He doesn't mind, however, that I'll watch endless action movies with him.

We also joke about how I am so NOT intuitive. I often have trouble reading between the lines or picking up on overly subtle hints in a conversation. Apparently my best buddy in high school had a crush on me for a while, and several of my guy friends in college, but I would never have known unless someone else told me. Even when I was told about a current situation, I would purposely ignore it. One of the reasons my fiance attained his position is that he fought through my stubborn refusal to acknowledge his attempts. :)

I'm really uncomfortable with showing--or being around someone who is showing--strong emotion. Even positive strong emotion. I'm generally pretty "up" and laid-back. My "down" times tend to result in apathy more than anything else. On the rare occasions I do get worked up, it's usually anger--and results in me punching a wall or something. I have trouble empathizing with people who are depressed/sad/upset. I sort of "feel" bad intellectually, but I don't really have any impetus to respond. Except perhaps to offer advice, which I know they don't really want and which I therefore withhold.

My clothing tastes tend to run toward sleek or utilitarian styles--and comfortable. Must be comfortable. I instinctively seem to look for clothes--even suits or dress shoes--that I could take off running in (if I needed to for some unknown reason. :blush: Actually... there is this funny story about me running and catching my foot on a grate, dropping, rolling, and coming up again still moving. In a formal. In front of the National Theater. :blink:). My favorite color is... black. I get teased about that by friends and my ENTP mother, but I hate pastels and the only bright color I like is red. So most of my closet is black, with brown or dark green coming next. My hair is really long (below waist), but I usually wear it pretty simply. I guess I can get by with fewer hair cuts if I keep it long, and I don't have to waste time styling it like I would with short hair.

I never dated in high school, but rather hung out with a pack of guys. We formed garage bands, played war games-style capture the flag, or shot each other up in multi-player computer games. In college I would run through my wing and press people into a pillow fighting mob, which I would then lead through the rest of the dorm and over the rest of campus (finalizing with an ambush of the security guards and the student night librarian. It was a small school).

When my now-fiance and I were first moving beyond friendship, I felt really awkward. I liked the guy, but I didn't really "feel" any of the passionate whatever that you're "supposed" to feel. I just sort of intellectually acknowledged my liking. It was better after my mother and I had a conversation about it, because she's an ENTP and has the whole rational thing going. She said it was pretty much the same way for her, and that no, I was not abnormal. (We both hate women's conferences/studies/Oprah-ish emotionalism and have developed a certain camaraderie as I've transitioned to adulthood).

I'm pretty relaxed in social situations, don't have a problem meeting new people, and can seem downright extroverted at parties (sober--I don't drink), but I really am an introvert who can spend hours alone and not notice. I had to interview an elderly guy yesterday for a research project and after a 2.5 hour interview followed by supper with him and his wife, I was so drained that I felt physically sick and exhausted this morning.

Oh--one last weird thing that has been mentioned elsewhere: I don't know if other female ISTPs get this a lot, but I've been told by a number of roommates and friends that before they got to know me well they found me quite intimidating. I've also been told that when I'm zoning--just staring into space thinking about nothing--that I get this look on my face like I'm gonna kill someone. I find this very irrational and silly. Especially since I'm rarely upset and usually laid-back to the point of apathy.

Anyone else experienced this--personally, or with someone else?