• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Female ISTP's... how do you act?

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
Second, is my good friend through high school and college. I knew him growing up, but he became good friends in high school on the track team. He had this very intense drive that I found challenging, and we pretty much went at it. He ended up winning haha. We ended up both being the only two guys to stick it out through all 8 seasons in our class, out of like 20 that started out.

In college, he is a Business Economics major, and ran a bit, now does triathlons somewhat leisurely. He's gonna be an accountant, but has pretty much stated that he isn't going to work in a cubicle his whole life, and it doing this until a more intriguing opportunity comes along. Something that made him hard to type (he agrees he's an ISTP), was he is also very religious, and he is questionably nice to pretty much everyone he meets. He basically mimics their exact behavior on instinct, and has these bursts of real excitement once you touch upon a topic that he actually cares about. He is social in a way that he is a pretty good looking guy, is nice to everyone, and mimics their behavior. This is how he tends to make/keep friends, and it works quite well. Some other of his passions are acting, video games, God, and every sport ever invented. He has no trouble being confident in pursuing any of these passions.

He's had a good number of girls since and in high school... including two long relationships and another he is in right now with an INFP he met at my 21st bday party last year :) . He has a very laid back style and sense of humor coupled with his academics and never-ending athletics... that has no trouble getting and keeping girls. When in high school, I pretty much was the one in our small group of friends that talked to him about his gf at the time, and he never really went deeper than a logical analysis of the relationship. He does the same thing now. He's generally comfortable keeping his emotions with his girls between them and him, but they do exist (differing from my brother, who is very blatant about it... most likely because it's quite literally how he interacts with his gf all the time).

Wow. Yeah, I identify with this guy's description a lot. Except for the athletics--I was born with messed-up knees and that kind of stunted the athletic area of my ISTP-ness. I've done weight lifting and horseback riding instead, but I find that I'm more competitive against myself than against others anyway.

My IxTJ father's in ministry and I've always been very involved in the church; I also have an active interest in business and economics--more so than math/sciences.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ack, yes. I can't stand chick flicks

I've grown to like some of them, but the ultimate chick flicks... I can't handle them. I scoff at their intense feelings. August Rush is a good example of me thinking throughout the whole movie "omg, this would NEVER HAPPEN".

I often have trouble reading between the lines or picking up on overly subtle hints in a conversation. Apparently my best buddy in high school had a crush on me for a while, and several of my guy friends in college, but I would never have known unless someone else told me. Even when I was told about a current situation, I would purposely ignore it. One of the reasons my fiance attained his position is that he fought through my stubborn refusal to acknowledge his attempts. :)

I can't read between the lines at all. I can try to if I know I'm supposed to do it. Plenty of my friends have had crushes on me, but I don't pick it up until they very awkwardly work up the courage to ask me out (even after I've preached about the friend-zone).

I'm really uncomfortable with showing--or being around someone who is showing--strong emotion. Even positive strong emotion. I'm generally pretty "up" and laid-back. My "down" times tend to result in apathy more than anything else. On the rare occasions I do get worked up, it's usually anger--and results in me punching a wall or something. I have trouble empathizing with people who are depressed/sad/upset. I sort of "feel" bad intellectually, but I don't really have any impetus to respond. Except perhaps to offer advice, which I know they don't really want and which I therefore withhold.

I hate it when people get emotional around me. I never know what to do. One of my friends was freaking out about her boyfriend/fiance one time, crying on the phone, off the phone...at the mall. I felt like disappearing and wishing one of her other friends had been there 'cause I just didn't know what to say.
I do the same thing with advice.

With other people feeling bad, I just think "well, that sucks for you, but it doesn't have anything to do with me"

I certainly don't trust my own feelings. Most unreliable source ever.

When people say nice things to me, I don't really know how to react. I'm not sure if I just have to say "thanks :D" or if I need to return a compliment....or what?! AHHH!!!!

I never dated in high school

Me either. I got a couple of phone calls from guys, but I was never interested. I also went to the zomg-expensive-private schools in Honduras and I wasn't anything like the brats there.

I'm pretty relaxed in social situations, don't have a problem meeting new people, and can seem downright extroverted at parties (sober--I don't drink), but I really am an introvert who can spend hours alone and not notice. I had to interview an elderly guy yesterday for a research project and after a 2.5 hour interview followed by supper with him and his wife, I was so drained that I felt physically sick and exhausted this morning.

I'm much more talkative when I've had a drink. I even laugh louder.
I definitely feel exhausted after being around people for too long. The best thing to do after work is to go home and eat by myself and be on my computer alone.

Back to feelings - any time I have a real argument/fight with a friend...omg, exhaustion to the max. I woke up one morning and I was in the middle of a fight with one of my friends from the night before. I was well rested, but after I wrote one email back to him expressing my thoughts (I don't have feelings!!!), I was emotionally drained and tired the rest of the day.

Oh--one last weird thing that has been mentioned elsewhere: I don't know if other female ISTPs get this a lot, but I've been told by a number of roommates and friends that before they got to know me well they found me quite intimidating. I've also been told that when I'm zoning--just staring into space thinking about nothing--that I get this look on my face like I'm gonna kill someone. I find this very irrational and silly. Especially since I'm rarely upset and usually laid-back to the point of apathy.

Anyone else experienced this--personally, or with someone else?

My best ESTP friend says he doesn't think I'm intimidating at all. However, other people think I'm intimidating because I'm so independent - which I think is a really stupid reason (I can't go depending on people my whole life. I've gotta do something for myself, and living alone gives me ample opportunity to do so). I'm guessing they also think this because I'll be perfectly honest about things and use little tact to say it. Somehow telling the truth earns one an intimidation label. *rolls eyes*

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I hate it when people get emotional around me. I never know what to do. One of my friends was freaking out about her boyfriend/fiance one time, crying on the phone, off the phone...at the mall. I felt like disappearing and wishing one of her other friends had been there 'cause I just didn't know what to say.
I do the same thing with advice.

With other people feeling bad, I just think "well, that sucks for you, but it doesn't have anything to do with me"

When people say nice things to me, I don't really know how to react. I'm not sure if I just have to say "thanks " or if I need to return a compliment....or what?! AHHH!!!!

For the most part I say nothing. Thankfully my friends and I have an understanding that although I'm great at dispensing practical advice I am not a "shoulder to cry on".

If someone is really excited I usually smile and nod.

Despite my online persona, IRL I'm not very effusive.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
If someone is really excited I usually smile and nod.

Me too! It's hard for me to be excited for other people. It's nice that they're excited, but again, it doesn't have that much to do with me.

Now that I think back, my mom and sister (both ISFJ's) had (have??) problems with me about things like this. They're super happy, excited about something and I just sit there. If they're upset, I show so little of anything, I can keep doing what I'm doing and they're freaking out the whole time - they don't know how I do it. My personality is a huge mystery to them a lot of the time. And then, of course, I say something about them or about the situation, I come off as completely insensitive and I become the worst human being in their lives. They call me "difficult" fairly regularly (although less frequent now, it usually happens when we spend enough time around each other, like on a family vacation).

I read somewhere that ISFJ's are supposed to be an ISTP's source of advice and comfort...but really, they end up pissing me off, and when they call me "difficult" it makes me want to talk to them even less.
The same site also said that INFP's were my nemisis, and actually, one of my best friends tested as INFP. Maybe the site was just wrong about matching types. :-/

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
The problem I used to have with guardians especially, ISFJs, is they would offer to help me when they really didn't want to. Me, not reading between the lines, would say yes. However, unknown to me was the resentment against this caused.

When I offer to help someone it is genuine. Silly me to think other would be the same way. :D

Keep fighting the good fight. I've got to go back to work. :D

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Me too! It's hard for me to be excited for other people. It's nice that they're excited, but again, it doesn't have that much to do with me.

My best friend gives the illusion of being excited due to the others' misunderstanding. They seem excited, she's laughing her ass off at them, though they don't know it, and just says "I'm not doing it. You're so stupid and crazy to have even said such nonsense," said calmy enough but reverts into laughter in the end. She likes to laugh at people at lot, sometimes hysterically, and I chime in after making sure no one was offended. (I can't help but laugh at laughter, even if I feel somewhat bad about it. Infectious beast!).

I read somewhere that ISFJ's are supposed to be an ISTP's source of advice and comfort...but really, they end up pissing me off, and when they call me "difficult" it makes me want to talk to them even less.
The same site also said that INFP's were my nemisis, and actually, one of my best friends tested as INFP. Maybe the site was just wrong about matching types. :-/

Nope! It's an evolved INFJ like Moi! :devil: Someone who can be crazy and weird and understand you're going to be insensitive and explain to others when you can't as you're too flummoxded that people misunderstood you for being your entirely honest self reacting in the moment ("That was sheer stupidity," said as calmly as Death might say, w/e mood Death is in, "What? What, why're you looking at me?") and the evolved INFJ, such as myself :D, can explain to them exactly how that or they or others were stupid without coming off like an ass and making your words come up their throat while you're nonchantly thinking 'Why bother explaining, they won't understand!' to which they do understand 'They're actually understanding. :thinking: This person is useful...'

And you guys can be the bestest of friends, The End of That One Incident and CoverUp :nice:

But really, it's silly to base friends or lovers, for the most part, on Types. An evolved person will be well balanced and will appeal to anyone.

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP

When people say nice things to me, I don't really know how to react. I'm not sure if I just have to say "thanks :D" or if I need to return a compliment....or what?! AHHH!!!!

Yeah, I have a hard time responding to complements, even from my fiance. I've gotten better at giving complements--through much practice and effort.

I still hate touchy-feely-ness, you know, the "Oh hey! How are you doing!?!?" *fake hug * So AWKWARD.

During high school I would stick my hand out for a handshake when meeting people to ensure that I would avoid hugs. An ENFP friend of my sister thought that this was hilarious and would make a big show of it.

Me either. I got a couple of phone calls from guys, but I was never interested. I also went to the zomg-expensive-private schools in Honduras and I wasn't anything like the brats there.

Ack, I don't envy you that. I was educated at home for elementary school and high school, which was awesome for me. I got to learn at my own pace (read a ton), my brilliant ENTP mother was able to tutor me in subjects I just didn't "get," and my flexible schedule allowed more time for working on side projects (my mother taught me how to refinish furniture and let me work as her assistant on various projects). It was a great situation for an ISTP :)

My best ESTP friend says he doesn't think I'm intimidating at all. However, other people think I'm intimidating because I'm so independent - which I think is a really stupid reason (I can't go depending on people my whole life. I've gotta do something for myself, and living alone gives me ample opportunity to do so). I'm guessing they also think this because I'll be perfectly honest about things and use little tact to say it. Somehow telling the truth earns one an intimidation label. *rolls eyes*

Yeah, my bluntness gets me in trouble a lot, and usually with friends around whom I feel comfortable to vent/confront. Total strangers or vague acquaintances get more of my introvert side and are therefore safer.

I've also been told that it has something to do with the way I walk. :huh: Yeah, sounds like nonsense to me, but apparently I "stride with purpose" in a way that makes me appear confident and... intimidating. I don't get it. I definitely wouldn't interpret things that way, but then hey--I'm an ISTP. What do I know about interpretation?

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP

One my of the WORST working relationships of all time was with an IxFP who was directing a play for which I was the production designer. I had a terrible time communicating with her. At one point early on, I sent her an e-mail with some bland, bullet-point questions about different aspects of the play. I just wanted information from her so that I could move forward with my work.

She somehow managed to find the e-mail threatening and called a meeting with me and the producer (an ENFJ former roommate of mine). I was flummoxed--why did we need a meeting for her to get me the information? We met over lunch, and the producer spent most of the time trying to act as translator. I felt like nothing was accomplished, but tried to leave on a non-threatening note saying, "well, if you don't have the information yet, then just get it to me whenever you can."

The producer caught up with me later and told me that the director thought I was very angry with her. :doh: She had apparently read all manner of things into what I thought was a cut-and-dry conversation on my end. ARG! If I wasn't ticked before, then I was now.

I was so glad to get that production finished. I felt like I couldn't say anything without having it twisted and misinterpreted, which then hindered my ability to do my job. At one point I had been telling her we needed to make a large purchase for safety reasons. She would not listen to me and kept putting it off. The board members agreed with me, but none of them wanted to rock the boat by siding with me. Only after several other people had said the same thing to her did she suddenly do an about-face, and act as though the whole thing had been her idea all along (as though enough people saying it somehow made it more true than when it was just me). :BangHead:

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've also been told that it has something to do with the way I walk. :huh: Yeah, sounds like nonsense to me, but apparently I "stride with purpose" in a way that makes me appear confident and... intimidating. I don't get it. I definitely wouldn't interpret things that way, but then hey--I'm an ISTP. What do I know about interpretation?

I've been told that by multiple people, I can't figure it out either.

istpunk

MBTI Type
istp
I'm going to say this ISTP is probably the Logical subtype.

My best friend is an 21 year old ISTP who is studying biological-chemistry. She grew up being very spoiled, very wild, disorganized (still, to a point), very sporty and "tomboish" even with her waist-length hair which she's never cared doing on her own. Her mother has always taken care of it. She once cut it up to her cheeks while living for a few years in East Africa b/c it was a hassle with the heat but it grew back to her waist in two years or so when she returned to Canada(she's kept it this long since). She dressed "tomboyishly" as a child/young teen but now is much more femininely dressed (though if she doesn't care to sometimes, she just won't). She always gets hit on but tells most guys off as they seem incredibly stupid to her as she hates being approached in that sense--(it's never worthy guys either. And I know---). It's embarassing to her, she doesn't know how to react nicely. Really, they're budding into her space. It's not an emotional thing at all. It's just her 'space' and not knowing this person who dares to bother her.

She also doesn't openly display her high intelligence, outside of class/even then, or express her real feelings AT ALL (except to me). She has no problem reacting to people or telling them what she thinks (She'll tell you esp. if you don't like to hear it!! Are you kidding me? lol). She'll zoom in and tear a deemed person's flawed logic apart if she cares to. If she doesn't care to at the time, she doesn't bother. She's very carefree in that sense and in general. She can act/seem childlike and curious and she's so much fun to be around. And also seem like a guy in nature from what others say about her despite appearing seemingly feminine :huh:

She seems more extroverted than she really is if she goes out once w/ ppl and parties w/ them (even while being more detatched/observatory and then joins in the fest unless she's already familiar with them). People think they're her friend but she thinks of them as acquaintances (or ppl who are useful). She may talk but she never displays her true opinions/esp.feelings about topics important to her. She'll tell you her opinion of YOU or someone or an event etc. She is FIERCE with her personal space and no one invades. She can tolerate other people. Or mock them. Or incite them into their stupidity...she's a real devil's advocate....she can even get me to be more devilish when I try to be more appropriate in situations/with people.

She can seem like a bitch to others b/c she's VERY blunt and doesn't realise how she comes across as she reacts in the moment and mostly doesn't care. This is mostly towards people our age, not older, unless deserving of her bluntess which she will not spare them decency. (I find it funny that people often endear her for it or try to be friends once she's told them off!!!! :rofl1:) She didn't care so much before but now she's more aware. She's blamed me for being her 'conscience' and cursed me for it lol but she's joking. She rejects other's opinions if it greatly varies from her own and it isn't objective to her (feelings? please, she doesn't even trust her own--). Conflict w/ others doesn't bother her. Sometimes, she can have the most explosive rage when someone's exasperated her beyond logical thinking (as in they weren't, she tried getting them to be) and enjoys the idea of 'revenge' even when not acted on (revenge can be destroying a person with words/values)....and it freaks people b/c she seems so 'impassive' or carefree or quiet. And she doesn't like to be approached during that time (time for 'space'). I know better to leave her, she'll seek me when ready. If people bother her then, she'll likely make them cry for it.

She can be extremely stubborn. She'll always claim she's right, even when wrong...but she largely does that to others she doesn't care about. She can be reasoned with (she's very reasonable) but sometimes it's hard getting her to be considerate of others feelings or seeing the value in it if it doesn't directly effect her (not family/friends).

I hope I gave an insightful account for you. I wonder your curiousity on female ISTPs, though ...:devil:

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi, well this is my first post on here. I am a 25 year old ISTP female. I have recently discovered the whole MBTI thing and the ISTP describes me so accurately I really was quite shocked. I am very interested in the gender differences within the ISTP type.

OK i will give you a brief description of myself:

Physically i am tall and athletic and do a lot of sport. I can be as feminine and graceful the most feminine girl when the occasion demands it. Generally i choose to dress casually. i prefer clothes that are slightly big on me. I like jeans and a cool t shirt. I like my sports kit. I certainly prefer flat shoes (comfort is a big thing). Although i will wear heels for occasions that i decide require them. I do dress somewhat like a tomboy but i prefer to present myself as feminine but with a tough edge.
I can do my makeup and hair in 5 minutes and be ready to go. I would hate to go out without my 5 minutes prep (eyeliner, mascara and powder) but i would not faff for ages demanding perfection in appearance.

In school up to about age 16 i got top grades very easily. It was ridiculously easy for me to memorise huge amounts of data. (I can still recall in exact detail large amounts of data that i memorised for my GCSEs- 9 years ago)
Then i took science for further education. Understanding became more prevalent. i could not see the point in it all, became very bored and disinterested. The more pressure the lecturers put on me, the less inclined i was to do what they wanted me to. Nearly quit. Decided to carry on. Barely attended any lectures(too much sport and other things to do)Scraped a degree purely on my ability to memorise facts.

I don't think i have the mechanical side of the ISTP personality but i do love to pick things apart and analyse them. Although i mainly do this with other people. Pick apart their lives, their relationships. And i use the knowledge gained to write fiction which is something i have a lot of ability for. I wouldn't say my writing is imaginitive. i take real situations that i have observed and i turn them into fiction. My "try anything once" nature means i will often try things just so that i can write about them. I have self harmed(in a minor way) just for the experience. for the risks for the thrills. just so i can write about it.
I also analyse and break down sports. I am highly analytical regarding performance. If myself or my team have not performed i pick apart the performance and look at where and how we can fix it.

Sports wise i am a risk-taker, thrill seeker. I play rugby which is a tough sport and not typically feminine. I adore the big hits and the adrenaline and the excitement. I adore the mud and the hurts and the bruises. Running for runnings sake bores me, the gym bores me, and yet in a match i never feel tired. I could play forever.
I naturally have good hand/eye co-ordination and good balance and a very good sense of awareness of the game and the players around me. I currently play for my club, county and region and want to play for my country. Although i never plan that far ahead. i just want to improve and play higher so i take each match as it comes.
During a match i am constantly thinking about the teams next move and my next move almost like high speed chess. While a lot of rugby players brains literally dont engage during the 80 minutes on the pitch, mine is always working. At the same time i am utterly fearless. I will run into anything and anyone without thought for consequence.

I absolutely love contact sport.
I like the bruises. the pain. it makes me feel something. Feel so alive.
I used to jump horses at a high level- a sport where fearlessness is a huge attribute.
I like to ski. Fast. off piste. over jumps. I have a lot of confidence in my ability to read the snow.
I also get injured rarely. i mean i have had broken bones and strains but as for the amount of what people deem risky activities that i do, i have a low injury rate. I like to think the risks i take are calculated and I have a good affinity with the physical world which helps minimise the risks.

Basically i will do any sport i think i will get a rush out of and train and play tirelessly. The rest of the time i am often seen as lazy. i often prefer to drive rather than walk and take a lift rather than stairs. I am always late and i value economy of effort and much prefer the most direct route from A to B. I cannot abide going for a walk just for the sake of it. Yet at the same time i greatly appreciate the aesthetic beauty of the physical world.

Temperament wise i am utterly calm and unemotional at all times. People cannot comprehend my complete emotional detachment. i am very good in a crisis and even on a night out drinking, if something goes wrong i will be the one who sobers up immediately and solves the problem.
When i go out i am often seen as extroverted in personality. I am outgoing, witty and a lot of fun. (So much so that a 'friend' told me i had my Myers briggs wrong and i was definitely an E)
Sometimes i am bubbly and childlike and love games. Sometimes i am sarcastic and dry in my humour. I often see interaction with other people as a game. i like to entertain myself by playing games with others.
When i am not in a social setting i need my alone time. My absolute alone time to think. I can spend days alone when i will read or write or just think. (although i realise a lot of the ISTP profiles state that reading is not a typical ISTP pastime- i see it as part of my introverted personality and part of my analysis of the world. ) I read crime and gritty thrillers- anything with some substance. Nothing depresses me more than a girly chick book.

I am often quiet and observe others particularly in a work environment. i see a lot and take it all in and remember it and i think others often think i am oblivious.

Routine work bores me utterly and i have struggled a lot with a lot of different jobs. I am soon starting in the police force which i hope will satisfy my need for action.

I am terribly messy and my bedroom is a tip- although i do know where everything is. i do make an effort to keep shared areas tidy. i have no wish to annoy my housemates. I can cope easily with other people's mess. i have no issues with people leaving their stuff everywhere.

I have a lot of friends although i do not think of them as friends as such. more like people i do things with. They dont know me really at all. They know the public me. I am a great listener and i will listen to friends for hours to gain information. I get on well with pretty much everyone i meet and i completely believe in equality and fairness for everyone. If someone pisses me off enough though i will cut them entirely from my life.
I sometimes get very angry about something- particularly if i am stressed, normally from being around too many stupid people. My anger passes as quickly as it has come. i sometimes say things in temper that people misinterpret or take too seriously. i am often unaware of the scars that my white hot rage has left behind.
I have a couple of close friends who i share personal things with to a degree. but i never really discuss feelings. I never really have feelings to the extent that i feel they require discussion. I tend to find logic can overcome emotion in most situations.

Romantically i think i am basically bisexual. i have never had a problem attracting men or women. I have played a lot of games with both in the past. I like to be in charge. I like to try new things. If i fancy someone, i pursue them. i always get who i want. i have no regard for marriage/rules and regulations. I like to take risks and the more unobtainable someone supposedly is the more i want them. i like to challenge myself.
However once i get what i want i get bored quickly and move on.

I think i am basically bisexual and yet logic dictates to me that i date women. I get on better with women and find them more attractive. So i guess i currently identify as lesbian. But i would never say never. I take everything moment by moment so cannot possibly say for sure i wont change my mind in the future.
I have had one long term relationship with a female ENFJ. I liked her because she was sporty and fun and attractive. She was besotted with me but she let me have my independence. Things were good for a long time. i loved her in my own way. i still love her. She found my emotional indifference very hard to deal with. I found her too smothering and too demanding in the end. She wanted more from me than i was able to give. More time more energy more commitment. She wanted marriage and children which was when i finally ended things after 4 years. I knew they were promises that if i made i would be unable to keep, so i moved out.
This was a week ago. I cried about it once. by myself. I rarely cry and certainly never in front of anyone. That would be letting people see a part of me i never want to share.
I moved on quickly. i feel positive about the new start and positively liberated. i feel like i havent been myself for a long time in this relationship. i feel my independence and my personal space have been quashed and invaded.
I have utterly adored my alone time over the past week. My friends cannot comprehend my lack of emotion and apparent coldness over it all. The relationship is over- this is a fact and it would do little good moping around about it.
I now have so much more time and freedom to explore.
I realise i will struggle to hold down a long term relationship in the future as most want more than i am prepared to give.
But i am only just realising again how happy i am alone and how hugely i value my independence.

Anyway. I have just realised how long my message is! To be honest i quite enjoyed analysing and picking apart my own personality to see how it works. i hope it helps characterise to some degree another female ISTP and emphasises that you do not have to be butch, quiet and a computer geek- it is possible to be feminine, outgoing and fun and still definitley identify as ISTP.

hope this helps,

Lauranna x

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What a great, detailed description! I hope you stick around :)

I can identify with a lot of that...scary. this for instance:

I can do my makeup and hair in 5 minutes and be ready to go. I would hate to go out without my 5 minutes prep (eyeliner, mascara and powder) but i would not faff for ages demanding perfection in appearance.
I always thought I was weird for that! I don't even like leaving the house without my 5 minutes prep (hair/mascara/concealer), even though I almost never spend more time than that.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha thanks guys. I couldn't quite believe i wrote so much. but then i am at work in an utterly depressing office currently so easily distracted!
I have been quite amazed by how much i identify with other ISTP girls posts on here. I spent a lot of life thinking i was the only one!

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
you're not the only one. there are quite a few of us here, i think.

Apple

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've been reading quite a few posts on this thread where ISTps are describing themselves or other types are describing their suspected ISTp friends, and their posts have inspired to me to write my own self-description for comparison.

First off, I should mention that I'm not certain I am ISTp. That's actually why I'm here, to see if other ISTp females would consider me to share their personality type. I have an acquaintance who swears I'm an ESTj, and the only reason I bothered looking into my own personality type was to prove him wrong. I took a bunch of tests and read through various personality types (including ESTj) before deciding the ISTp descriptions fit best. I don't put much weight on personality types as far as being able to predict how a relationship will run, but I do find it fascinating to look into my own personality. Taking various personality tests has been a hobby of mine for years, I just never really looked into socionics or meyers-brigg very deeply until now.

Where to start.....

I happen to abhor watching most sports. I will play on occasion, but I'm not terribly good at many of them and don't play any on a regular basis. As far as ISTps being tomboyish, my mother has always considered me to be "prissy". I've always hated being sticky; I can't stand the stickiness that results from playing with sugary substances.

As a child, I wore many ridiculously unattractive outfits, my favorite being these black and white polka-dotted shorts and a green striped T-shirt (I always had favorites that I wore as often as possible). Now I am very conscientious about the way a look and am always trying to dress in ways flattering to my body type. I always wear makeup (although I do wear quite a bit, I strive to make it look as natural as possible), although I'm not as picky about my hair. When my hair is long, I tend to just brush it and go, but when I cut it short (like it is now) I usually take the time to style it. I am really into ascetics, especially color. I love warm colors. I wear reds, oranges, browns and especially yellows almost exclusively. I hate navy blue, and am not terribly fond of other cool colors. I've found that I tend to surround myself in colors and styles that I find pleasing, decorating my room with a blend of Victorian and African/Jungle theme. I like my living space to be clean and orderly, but I often allow it to get really messy and then go on a cleaning frenzy after which it will stay nice for a while.

I love animals. I have a pet rat and an orange cat both of whom I adore. I am fascinated by giraffes and throughout my childhood dreamed of one day being a zoologist and traveling to Africa to study giraffes and other African Savannah animals, or living in the Amazon surrounded by Golden Lion Tamrins.

I tend to be very logical and get annoyed when people try to use emotional arguments. Depending on my mood, I either remain silent when people throw illogical arguments my way, or I'll tell them just how ridiculous they're being and give them a logical argument they should have used instead. I have had a number of guys tell me that I'm not a normal girl because I'm "logical and deep" compared to most. I was raised in a religious setting, but now (along with my father and siblings) have a much more atheist point of view. I just can't seem to hold onto my childhood belief in god partly because I do see it as illogical and a block to actually looking at a phenomena and finding a scientific explanation.

Apparently many people find me to be hilariously funny, although many of my jokes are quite subtle. I enjoy making people laugh, although I'm not always trying when they find me the most funny. A lot of people seem to find the very way I go about doing things amusing.

I tend to be quiet a lot of the time, either because I don't feel I have anything to add to the conversation, or I don't feel like wasting my breath on company too ridiculous to bother explaining things to. However, when topics I am passionate about come up and I either really enjoy the people I'm with or am really annoyed with their narrow-minded comments, I often monopolize the conversation, pouring out my knowledge of the subject.

I hate being controlled. I become very defiant when ordered, especially by someone I see has having no authority over me, to do something. I like to be in charge of myself and even unwanted suggestions about how I should do something sometimes upset me. I usually allow others the same freedom to do what they want without my interference. I only give suggestions to others when they have included me in some way by asking my opinion or discussing a topic in depth.

I enjoy spending time with my family and roommates or other close friends immensely and will talk with them for hours, but I also really enjoy my alone time when I get to sort out my thoughts. I love taking long drives or walks so that I can get away for a while and think.

I'm an anthropology major (biology minor) currently working on my undergraduate degree (by the way, I'm 21 years old), but I plan on pursuing a doctorates. I'm usually an excellent student, but will admit that when a subject doesn't interest me, I rarely bother to study it. I want to either become a primatologist or paleoanthropoligst; either way I plan on studying human evolution, hopefully in Africa. I can be very adventurous and often feel restless when I've been sitting around a house for too long. I always want to get out and do something exciting. Traveling and exploring is what I'm most interested in doing, but I haven't had much of a chance to travel as of yet. I have explored the underground tunnels on my school campus and few cool old buildings (places we probably shouldn't be, which just makes it all the more exciting) we've found around town with one of my more adventurous roommates, and this is one of my favorite activities.

I very rarely express my feelings. Doing so makes me uncomfortable and I don't quite know how to respond when people throw emotion at me. I will try to explain how I feel and why I think I feel that way to the people close to me when they display a curiosity of my emotional world, and I can be a great listener as well for those people I am close to. I have no trouble maintaining friendships when I want to, but also can easily move on and forget people who are no longer a large part of my life. As far as romantic relationships go, I'm not very good at keeping them up. I've never had someone I would actually call my boyfriend, although I have come close to having a real relationship with quite a few different guys (some of them did consider me their girlfriend). I tend to shy away from guys who openly display romantic interest from the beginning, and only ever come close to boyfriend/girlfriend status with men who take it slow as far as expressing feelings go. Some days I will be really interested in a specific guy and ready to start a relationship, but then the very next day I'm no longer interested and want to end whatever I may have started. That's probably my biggest problem with actually committing myself to a romantic relationship.

Well, this description has turned out to be much longer and more detailed than I had expected, lol.