• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Cognitive Function Results - ISTPs

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
ISTPs: please post your results to this cognitive functions test.

Here are the results from the INTJs.

Here are the results from the ENTPs.

Here are the results from the ISFPs.

Here are the results from the ENFPs.

Here are the results from the ISFJs.

Here are the results from the ENFJs.

Here are the results from the INFJs.

Here are the results from the INTPs.

Here are the results from the INFPs.

Here are the results from the ENTJs.

Here are the results from the ISTJs.

Here are the results from the ESFPs.

Here are the results from the ESFJs.

Here are the results from the ESTJs.

Here are the results from the ESTPs.

Thanks

Last edited:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hit this question and dont like the test.

Compare an experience against a storehouse of familiar experiences to find what's reliable.

This is the problem I see with all the tests I take. I identify with the beginning heavily, but the later not at all. I dont care about reliable and by the time I hit reliable I am bored. So what am I half of each since it applies "somewhat". This is where reasoning, gets screwed up with what people do on tests. WOOHOOO, the problem I see with MBTI. So what function do i use to do this, maybe I can learn how to get past that function and not face these issues.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

This is the problem I see with all the tests I take. I identify with the beginning heavily, but the later not at all. I dont care about reliable and by the time I hit reliable I am bored. So what am I half of each since it applies "somewhat". This is where reasoning, gets screwed up with what people do on tests. WOOHOOO, the problem I see with MBTI. So what function do i use to do this, maybe I can learn how to get past that function and not face these issues.

Umm, I would say that you need to look at the sentence holistically, not in parts.

They phrase the sentences very specifically on purpose.

You then compare your character to the holistic meaning of the sentence, and *bam* you're somewhere from a 1 to a 5 for Si.

Last edited:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree. When I do identify with a question it is "At work I'm like that but not anywhere else" so what do I do with that? I don't like the questions very much. I found them situational specific but not general enough to define my behavior overall. They are vague. But here are my results.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************ (36.7)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.3)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************** (32.6)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************** (18.1)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************************** (29.9)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************** (35)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************** (16.5)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.3)
excellent use

I came out as ISFP.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Umm, I would say that you need to look at the sentence holistically, not just as parts.

They phrase the sentences very specifically on purpose.

You then compare your character to the holistic meaning of the sentence, and *bam* you're somewhere from a 1 to a 5 for Si.

But I dont see how the begining part of that sentence is Si so wholistically answering as "somewhat or "3" gives a false inclination of cognition based on half the sentence. I already know what its looking for and I dont agree with the way the test goes about it. It took a question that was pegged for Pi and added single word to make it Si, then asked how much you agree with it. Lets see, I agree with the first part 100% which is 5 for Pi, then I agree with the end 0% which means that my Si score is 3. Look at that accuracy.

Anyway I have no clue how they score the test, so really until I can see how its scored the accuracy is inconclusive for me. Hopefully the person who created it looked beyond simple "cognition" when designing this test and actually looked at the "range" of cognitions and groupings that play into each question. Could you imagine the cmplexity of that system on a hollistic level having to seperate it all out.

It wouldnt bother me, but I face this problem alot with these tests, not just Si. I agree with half the statement.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes some questions are situation based and I dont know how to answer those either. Here is my "hollistic" attempt to answer based on the questions. I answered the above question as 3 since I met half of it and not the other half and followed that approach through the whole thing.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************************* (33.4)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************** (16.6)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************* (33)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************** (30.9)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************************** (38.9)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************************** (47.4)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************* (13.6)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************** (26)
average use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ISTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Sensing (Se): Immersing in the present context. Responding naturally to everything tangible you detect through your senses. Checking with what your gut instincts say. Testing limits and take risks for big rewards.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And just to nitpick somemore since this is where this type of nitpicking is heard the best

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

I agree with "Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework", but the last half I am backwards in that I understand a framework, theory, or principle and apply it to a current situation. This must have been defined by an Ne and Ti:rolli:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^^^I did not understand what that question was asking at all. I had a hard time with the word "leverage". I said "Not me" because I was confused with the question itself. I say boycott this test. LOL.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^^^^I did not understand what that question was asking at all. I had a hard time with the word "leverage". I said "Not me" because I was confused with the question itself. I say boycott this test. LOL.

Are you INTP?:huh:

What question/statement had the word leverage? It is what you gain, when you have a lever(sp?) to help you do work. It usually has a fulcrum for the pivot point. BOYCOTT ALL TESTS, except for the comical satire ones, those are always allowed.

edit: maybe always has a fulcrum, dont want to try and figure out if its possible to not, but right now I say "always have a fulcrum until proven otherwise"....same as "maybe"

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ

Lenore in Personality Type sez Se isn't as wild and crazy as seemingly we here all suppose. The people in which Se is prominent may be wild and crazy, but the function itself isn't random. It seems that when one goes off on an extroverted sensing jaunt, one still prefers to start somewhere known. Every sensation isn't interesting, it seems. Sensation that expands on or develops from familiar starting points is. The attention of the function is certainly not on the familiar, but the familiar has some role, apparently.

So, I guess, the question is meant to speak to people for whom Si is important, but it happens to include some points that can be a bit familiar for Se people.

One might well conclude that while these tests do give results indicating some amount of usage of all functions, many of those results are false positives.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
So, I guess, the question is meant to speak to people for whom Si is important, but it happens to include some points that can be a bit familiar for Se people.

One might well conclude that while these tests do give results indicating some amount of usage of all functions, many of those results are might be false positives.

Agreed.

Last edited:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you INTP?:huh:

What question/statement had the word leverage? It is what you gain, when you have a lever(sp?) to help you do work. It usually has a fulcrum for the pivot point. BOYCOTT ALL TESTS, except for the comical satire ones, those are always allowed.

edit: maybe always has a fulcrum, dont want to try and figure out if its possible to not, but right now I say "always have a fulcrum until proven otherwise"....same as "maybe"

"Apply leverage to a situation to solve a problem impersonally using minimal effort." This question from the test. I should have been more clear in my post what I was talking about. I'm confident that I'm ISTP. I know what leverage is. I don't like the way the question is stated. It's muddled.

I don't think we use one function alone. They are used in conjunction. So defining overall personality by these function specific questions makes me go:

:tongue10:

Sunny Ghost

I agree. When I do identify with a question it is "At work I'm like that but not anywhere else" so what do I do with that? I don't like the questions very much. I found them situational specific but not general enough to define my behavior overall. They are vague. But here are my results.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************ (36.7)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.3)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************** (32.6)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************** (18.1)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************************** (29.9)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************** (35)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************** (16.5)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.3)
excellent use

I came out as ISFP.
MDP, ISFP?? ;)

i agree completely. i felt the same with a lot of the questions as well. at work i'm a different person than with friends and versus both of those i'm different at home. i felt a though the questions should have given specific scenario's.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
What an awkwardly phrased test.

"Indicate how often you do skillfully what the phrase describes."

"This is a serious questionnaire to help you discover what cognitive processes you use well, as opposed to surface behavior or what you value. Some cognitive processes may be outside your awareness or experience, so just understanding the various phrases is part the assessment."

I can say with some level of objectivity that whoever wrote the test isn't a very good writer. So decoding this jumbled mess might prove difficult for anyone, regardless of what the bolded statement suggests.

I'll edit this post in a minute if I do the whole thing.

Ok, and the edit:

extraverted Sensing (Se) (45.8)
excellent use

introverted Sensing (Si) (35.4)
good use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (18.9)
limited use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) (16.8)
limited use

extraverted Thinking (Te) (33.1)
good use

introverted Thinking (Ti) (39.4)
excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) (21.1)
limited use

introverted Feeling (Fi) (30.3)
good use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ISTP

Lead (Dominant) Process

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Sensing (Se): Immersing in the present context. Responding naturally to everything tangible you detect through your senses. Checking with what your gut instincts say. Testing limits and take risks for big rewards.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ESTP, or ISFP

The Four Temperaments
Improviser; secondly Stabilizer; then Theorist; and lastly, Catalyst.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
This snippet is from the test's FAQ (emphasis added).

-- Based on feedback and data to-date, Sensing-
preferences folks do not have a harder time with
this survey, as some have wondered. Rather, the
individuals who have the most difficulty with the
survey's questions report preference for introverted
Thinking (INTP, ENTP, ISTP, ESTP).
This may be
because the phrase definitions are not set, and
because introverted Thinking is the cognitive process
most used when critiquing.

Because the people who are best at critiquing have the greatest issues with the test it could be a sign your test is...rubbish.

It wasn't really that bad, but it wasn't that great either. The results came out decently and that's what counts the most, but it was rough.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My ISTP husband did this test and he complained about the grammar and lack of context. That alone told me he's an ISTP. :D

Here are his results.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************************************* (43.4)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.4)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************* (25.1)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************* (21.8)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************* (21.2)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************** (26.3)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************************** (29)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) **************************************** (40.2)
excellent use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ISFP

On some other test he borderlines T/F function so this ISFP results doesn't surprise me. However, he is ISTP based on his intereptation of the description of an ISTP.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lenore in Personality Type sez Se isn't as wild and crazy as seemingly we here all suppose. The people in which Se is prominent may be wild and crazy, but the function itself isn't random. It seems that when one goes off on an extroverted sensing jaunt, one still prefers to start somewhere known. Every sensation isn't interesting, it seems. Sensation that expands on or develops from familiar starting points is. The attention of the function is certainly not on the familiar, but the familiar has some role, apparently.

One might well conclude that while these tests do give results indicating some amount of usage of all functions, many of those results are false positives.

I am lost when you define sensation as being "internal" and "external" what is an external sensation, arent all sensations internal to self whether they come from real time or memory?

I do things for fun, for show, to impress, to play, etc. and they generally dont cause sensation as the things that would cause sensation with me are generally known as you say with Se which means that sensation is not that important whether it be real time or from memory. I dont know, Se is hard to explain for me in terms of sensation. Introverted Sensing seems to be sensation, but not extroverted sensing. I dont know...sensation seems to imply "internal" without a modifier added to it.

Its like the statement above
One might well conclude that while these tests do give results indicating some amount of usage of all functions, many of those results are might be false positives.

Before "are" was crossed out it still had "many" to add possibility of either/or and adding maybe just makes it even more either/or.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I am lost when you define sensation as being "internal" and "external" what is an external sensation, arent all sensations internal to self whether they come from real time or memory?

A fair point.

But... you don't believe attention has a preferred focus? That if an Si person is actively looking outside themselves for new information, it's generally not novel physical information they're looking for, and if an Se person is looking inside themselves, they're generally not looking just for the sense memories, but for the meaning of those memories. All of that can be true even if each person gets exactly the same sense information over time. They just filter it differently.

This does raise an interesting point I have wondered about though. I have seen a few times around this site, SPs speak of enjoying their memories. It sounds like Si. But is it?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
"Apply leverage to a situation to solve a problem impersonally using minimal effort." This question from the test. I should have been more clear in my post what I was talking about. I'm confident that I'm ISTP. I know what leverage is. I don't like the way the question is stated. It's muddled.

I don't think we use one function alone. They are used in conjunction. So defining overall personality by these function specific questions makes me go:

:tongue10:

I have similar results you have, high SE, TI, and FI. Sometimes I also get ISFP because of high Fi. The questions are pretty straight forward, they maybe a little too "N" big picture wording for our liking.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A fair point.

But... you don't believe attention has a preferred focus? That if an Si person is actively looking outside themselves for new information, it's generally not novel physical information they're looking for, and if an Se person is looking inside themselves, they're generally not looking just for the sense memories, but for the meaning of those memories. All of that can be true even if each person gets exactly the same sense information over time. They just filter it differently.

This does raise an interesting point I have wondered about though. I have seen a few times around this site, SPs speak of enjoying their memories. It sounds like Si. But is it?

I dont know, I normally dont go into my memories to enjoy them, but to understand. Not exactly the "meaning" of the memory, to me thats more like reading into something, other then just looking at your memories and understanding. To me thats a difference between Fi and Ti in regards to memories. I have never had a desire to live in memories. I would prefer to sit bored trying to find something to do. This can be read into as much as anyone likes, I didnt have a bad life at all. I dont have any horrible memories that I want to forget.