• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] Being an Asian ESTP

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
I'm an ASIAN ESTP! And sometimes I laugh to myself merrily about it, for the irony of being born into a society of dominant "I" "S" and "J"s.

Meet my Dad, typical Asian lawyer, working in a prestigious law firm. Typical conversations with him will be "How are your studies girl?" "What are you doing tomorrow?" "Sleep early, or you'll get a tight slap" (Happened to me when I was a kid I got spanked alot :( And yes, he still talks to me like that sometimes! DO IT OR ELSE)

Then there's my Mum, who came from a less educated background from my Dad, where she grew up in a tiny tribal village in Taiwan. Mum's an ESFP I think, and she's always talking about makeup, how to look pretty, and marrying young.

So, I mentioned before somewhere on this thread I grew up in Asia, where I was the naughtiest kid in school! I loved reading storybooks and watching Teenage Mutant ninja turtles, and goodness knows why but my English was my best subject. Class was always too boring, so I stirred it up by arguing with teachers, or catching centipedes and releasing it in class in my all-girls school. I was bad at home too, I used to climb into my neighbours house, kidnap their cat and tie it on top of the car at home, and my dog would try to climb up and get at the poor kitty. (but back then I didn't feel sorry for it)

So teachers requested my parents to send this "bad kid" abroad.

This only happened 1 and a half years ago when I moved to Melbourne, where I became a Christian and went to the punkiest church you can find, Planetshakers, I'm studying Masters of Med Science in Melbourne Uni and I love life here now and I finally feel comfortable. My hobby? Playing the guitar, driving, jogging, and Japanese martial Arts, Aikido (I'm one belt below black :D). However, people still tell me I'm "not like other Asians", whatever that means, or they think I'm mixed (I have funny features and brown hair) :D My theory is that it means that I'm outgoing! Other Asians? They'll just think I'm crazy. I had such a hard time in Singapore because everyone in school... all they did was study and study :( And they were always paranoid about getting into a prestigious and good school

One of my best pals, for e.g, Australia Idol wannabe Jaime (in my avatar) and he's still trying to be a musician. He's really girly (to me) and I feel like I'm the boyfriend most of the time! I slap him and yell at him all the time and he always looks really..erm..sad. (He's ENFP) I always have to ask God to give me the patience to deal with him sometimes, I dont have the vision to see him as a musician but whatever *rolls eyes* I pray he gets there.

I'm friends with a bunch of really sporty girls, but I'm always hanging out with a wide range of people, and alot of them are computer geeks, and NFs, who I can hardly understand but I'm beginning to :) In fact, I know them so well they sorta get annoyed at me. When they ask whats there to do at my house if they're coming over, I'll point at my PS2, (that's Playstation 2 for non-nerds) and they'll be like "Oh shutup, you're stereotyping us again". My housemate is this really quiet INFJ, I don't bother her but we get along strangely well and she doesnt mind playing Time Crisis 3 on Ps2 with me :)

All in all, that sorta describes me pretty well. Wonder what you guys think about Asian society and the Myer Briggs! I gotta say that, living in Singapore was difficult for me and even thinking about visiting home makes my stomach turn! I find it hard to talk to people who don't understand my jokes, and going out with mum and dad was difficult :) Hooray that now I'm 21, living independently and saving up to buy the motorbike of my dreams! :D

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
LOL. Babe, as an Asian ENTP, it isn't much easier. At least your S would help you relate to the STJs running amok on the island. *deflates*

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Being an E__P in any modern society sounds like a bit of a hassle. Especially in regimented Asian societies. They do everything in such a perfectionist manner, and work so hard that they barely have time to relax. They're very engaged and success-oriented, even more than people in our country. They push themselves to achieve everything within reason. It's scary, really.

I'm glad you found a way to deal with it, though.

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
but my way of "dealing with it" was to move to Australia, it can be seen as an escape valve. i've always wanted to explore how other Asians deal with this.

I have been through and understood the frustration among young people at home in Singapore. Small land area, social pressures, struggling to conform. when i went to school with very local kids at 17, I actually spoke bad english just to conform with them, because it was actually an unspoken requisite to being accepted as a Singaporean. Otherwise, they would think i was educated overseas and hence putting on airs :(

I agree perfectionistic is the appropriate word to describe working conditions in Asia, there was so much pressure for students to move forward and advance towards whatever would create openings for "relevant jobs in the future".

As a kid I had many ideas I always wanted to contribute in class. I can't ever forget parents-teachers day meetings, and teachers telling my parents I should be sent overseas to a place where my creativity could be stimulated. The problem was, I was actually scolded for causing problems! I often asked my peers at school why they didn't feel bored in class, and they would just shrug and tell me its better to play along. Most of the time, I would monkey about quietly (until I get caught), look out of the window and pass the time thinking about things.

My parents got me tuition teachers for just about everything. English, Chinese, Maths, Science, Piano, Art, and swimming. I kid you not, at 10 I had at least 5 tuition classes a week. After school, I did not go anywhere but home - mum would drive me home, and I would have my classes.

And then there was getting slapped on the hands with rulers. I got hit during piano lessons all the times for playing the wrong notes. I got angry at the system - I got angry at the fact that I was hit for making mistakes that resulted from the lack of piano practice, rather than from mischief. This thought occured to me all the time. But where can a kid go with all their problems? Whenever I talked to mum, she would just explain to me I'm not working hard enough. I had to work hard to get a good job like Dad so I wouldn't starve in the future.

But I could not care less whether or not "I got a good job". It led to me having no motive in life for anything I did, except to use the generous amount of pocket money I had on clothes, parties and friends. Since I wasn't allowed out of the house, I climbed out through the window. So for a long time, I wondered and wondered. Why am I so strange and different, and why does everyone else want stability and a "good job" so much. I had never met any other "wild child" like me - I thought I was wierd till I went to Australia and now I just sigh and look away when drunk people strip on the road outside my house :)

When I came by MBTI, I did quite alot of interested reading but had a problem pinpointing my type. I must admit I'm not good at reading people's type, and that's probably the reason why I'm asking for help in making analyses. I also wonder what mum and dad would think about being in an inter-racial relationship, my personal belief is that all humans are one race, (so sure I am of that!) Mum doesnt mind, but Dad is a J and is very traditional :) My parents have always told me that its hard for Asians to get along with Aussies, but they're surprised I have such a big group of good friends so far :)

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A point of curiosity for me is how these supposed "national characteristics" come to be. In my experience, the MBTI distributions are pretty much the same in every country. (If you'll pardon me for introducing anecdotal "evidence".)

The notion of culture, as most people understand it, is largely poppycock.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

You know, I had thought of that myself once. Most people from other places who think of Texas think of cowboys, open desert, oil rigs, saloons, etc. When they get there and see Dallas or Houston, they're a bit surprised...

I imagine it's the same with stereotypes of most other cultures... they're really only about one particular group/paradigm, possibly one that's a bit more influential/common, sometimes even just the most unique one.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
This only happened 1 and a half years ago when I moved to Melbourne, where I became a Christian and went to the punkiest church you can find, Planetshakers, I'm studying Masters of Med Science in Melbourne Uni and I love life here now and I finally feel comfortable. My hobby? Playing the guitar, driving, jogging, and Japanese martial Arts, Aikido (I'm one belt below black :D). However, people still tell me I'm "not like other Asians", whatever that means, or they think I'm mixed (I have funny features and brown hair) :D My theory is that it means that I'm outgoing! Other Asians? They'll just think I'm crazy. I had such a hard time in Singapore because everyone in school... all they did was study and study :( And they were always paranoid about getting into a prestigious and good school

Another Aussie! (Well, close enough.) Rock on!

Welcome to the boards! :D

One of my best pals, for e.g, Australia Idol wannabe Jaime (in my avatar) and he's still trying to be a musician. He's really girly (to me) and I feel like I'm the boyfriend most of the time! I slap him and yell at him all the time and he always looks really..erm..sad. (He's ENFP) I always have to ask God to give me the patience to deal with him sometimes, I dont have the vision to see him as a musician but whatever *rolls eyes* I pray he gets there.

Aw, I wish him luck with that! I hope you realise how rare it is for an ENFP to have a dream that they pursue for more than a few months!? :D

I had never met any other "wild child" like me - I thought I was wierd till I went to Australia and now I just sigh and look away when drunk people strip on the road outside my house :)

Hahaha. :D:D

*cough*

Okay, seriously.

A point of curiosity for me is how these supposed "national characteristics" come to be. In my experience, the MBTI distributions are pretty much the same in every country. (If you'll pardon me for introducing anecdotal "evidence".)

It probably has something to do with circumstances: for example, if you risk starvation if you don't work your butt off every day, even the most careless ExxP is going to put in some good work. When the situation is similar for generations and generations, it ends up as 'culture', and even when the circumstances are no longer as dire, constant parental/societal pressure to be as hardworking as they are (for eg.) has a lot of influence.

That's my guess, anyway. Thoughts?

Something has to produce those stereotypes/cultural differences, (yes, even though they're stereotypes, they do have basis in fact) and if the MBTI type distribution is relatively equal in any culture, then it must be external circumstances (nurture vs. nature, if you will) that changes things.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Yeah. I heard Asians were mostly INTPs.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

What? You mean that culture doesn't exist? I always thought that if I traveled to Japan I might have trouble understanding their language, but since we're all really the same, then I guess that was just my imagination. :alttongue:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see a problem with attaching a "cultural personality" to a country.

See, the national personality is not derived directly as the "sum of its parts" where "parts" = individuals.

What contributes to national personality is its actual history, its past and current interactions with other nations and how it fits into the larger world culture/economy, its own economic and political systems, the religious faiths that are prominent, its view and support of science/tech, etc.

Those are the "components" of the national personality, and individuals regardless of type might influence these things over time but usually are forced to conform to some degree.

I would say over the last 50-75 years in the US alone we have see a gradual shift from SJ behavior/attitudes to SP attitudes.

Getting back to Possum (since it's her thread) -- the ESFP reading seems to fit you well, with all of your enthusiasm for your life and openness about sharing it passionately with everyone.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some of us half breeds who have been away for generations are still incorrigable perfectionsits... :(

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
i figure its ok to share since no one i know is gonna put a finger on me. i think i would be way more shy giving my personal details to people i do know.

I'm not too sure about Asians being INTP, I know that alot of school kids lose interest in education, but they continue to struggle on because of peer and parental pressure.

I have only met one INTP, this girl I met in uni who's....out of this world. Her friendster wall is showered with friend's comments like "clever, beautiful" etc. The kind of girl everyone is impressed by. I told her I wish I met her when she was in Singapore - she's one of those silent mysterious people who you have to probe for answers, to which she would patiently and objectively answer, and I'm always amazed by her insight. She told me she was bad at everything in school, and the system always made her feel stupid - she said she was always marked badly during Literature or other humanities subjects. I can actually imagine why, considering the ideas she gave towards "developing media systems" in her research paper gave such radical ideas that a lecturer begged her to stay another year to do her Honours in the course.

So there's very little interest (or time) for school children to be finding out about politics, national issues, or any subject that really interests them actually. Because working towards a "national goal" is a priority, and I remember having to take a course called "Social Studies". Arguably, school, at least, is authoritarian in the country.

During a social studies test, we were given a cartoon of Singaporeans queueing up to reach a buffet table and asked to comment on the country's cultural identity. Now, in that picture I could see individuals pushing each other to get to the food.

So I wrote that Singaporeans are competitive, and afraid to lose to one another even in trivial matters. I got a big fat C.

The answer apparently, which none of my classmates and I could figure out except for one extremely smart fellow, was that Singaporeans were cultured and loved good food. So I said to the teacher... but but...they're pushing each other. And the teacher said "Well you must think more...you cannot simply see what is in front of you."

And the smart fellow turned around and said: If the question is about Singapore, then write everything that's good about it.

The fact that many use their wits to "play along to a system", speaks to me about being molded into a certain characteristic.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What? You mean that culture doesn't exist? I always thought that if I traveled to Japan I might have trouble understanding their language, but since we're all really the same, then I guess that was just my imagination. :alttongue:

What would you ENTPs do without straw men?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Where have you been?

Where have you been?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Getting back to Possum (since it's her thread) -- the ESFP reading seems to fit you well, with all of your enthusiasm for your life and openness about sharing it passionately with everyone.

I was going to say that or ENFP. Who else would think to tie a cat too the roof of a car?

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
Probably not an N. I find it very hard to visualize. In art class, I can only draw still life.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

If you are referring to a 'monoethnic identity' by 'culture' then I agree. It's too easy to stereotype cultures, meaning assuming any and all people from country X is this and only this.

I was going to say that or ENFP. Who else would think to tie a cat too the roof of a car?

ENFPs are way too nice and cuddly to do that.

Original Post

I went to an international school in Asia, in my 'hometown'. My classmates were extremely priveleged, sheltered, and spoiled not to mention bicultural (or at least educated for a while overseas) so it's hard to say I had a hard time due just to 'cultural' differences or expectations.

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
i started typing not really knowing what's my point or take on this, but since i have a clearer idea now, i think my question is actually how asians of any personality type cope with social pressure or to collective thinking.