• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] ESTP's and stuff

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've met a couple of ESTP's lately. Really cool people to be around. I love the "TP" that we have in common. You guys think logically, but you're not overly serious about things - you're very chill and easy going.

Here's my question though: The ones I've met are very much "live and let live" - they give people personal space and freedom. They aren't "demanding" and "judgmental" like some J's might be. The ESTP's I know seem to have the mantra "different strokes for different folks" - and I like that. But, then I'll hear them say something like, "That guy is a freaking nutjob." Or, "He's a straaaaange individual." One ESTP even said to me, "You don't want to be hanging out with those people. They're bad news." These statements take me by surprise because it doesn't really fit with the "live and let live" - it's a contradiction. And, you know us INTP's, we spot every contradiction on the face of the planet. But, help me understand this. Every man for himself, live and let live, different strokes for different folks, but some people are just too far out there for you? Thoughts? ISTP's might have some good input too.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
The live and let live is probably Se. The standards for other people is probably the Ti and it's somewhat perfectionistic attitude, placing value on things subjectively.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESTPs are generally very good at reading people. As such, we are typically able to spot when there is something wrong about a person. Maybe there are inconsistencies in their stories. Maybe something is off about their speech pattern or bodylanguage. Maybe we don't know why we get a bad vibe, but we know it's there. If an ESTP tells you things like what you described, you should listen. They're not trying to be controlling, or bossy, or whatever, they're trying to warn you to keep you from getting tangled up in crazy. Take it as a sign that they like you enough to care whether or not you get into trouble.

Speaking for myself, it's incredibly frustrating for me when I warn my friends about bad shit that's about to go down and they don't listen because they think I'm being paranoid, or judgemental, or I'm leaping to conclusions, or whatever. And then, shock and gasp, the things I warned them about happened in exactly the way I predicted. This happens over, and over, and over. Thankfully, the people who are closest to me in life have learned to trust my judgement and when I tell them I have a bad feeling about something, they listen. I've pretty much given up on trying to help out many others this way -- it's too much irritation for me when they're like "naaaaah you're crazy" when I tell them things they don't want to hear.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm usually one to live and let live. If I don't necessarily agree with how one lives their life and it isn't bothering anyone else, I just ignore them. Say they're manipulative against others, or that they should seriously consider trying a Rx for bipolar disorder. I do, however, find myself to be at times judgmental of others by first glance, but I usually don't judge the person in that sense...it's more of a first impression. We have a sense for people who are mentally 'off', usually...but in the 'That person looks like they are mentally capable of murdering several people without remorse' sort of way....but I think anyone can sense that lol.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
generally if I say something like "that dude's f*cking nuts!" it's not nessicarily an indictment of his character or anything... I'm just not using the brain to mouth filter in the least... it doesn't even mean that I dislike the person... I'm just talking (and thanks to that I've been nicknamed Captain Obvious by my boss for being the person who always says what everyone else secretly thinks :doh:)

I'm generally pretty good at reading people and have the tendancy to say exactly what I think about the situation and such... once again, it doesn't exactly mean that I particularly care what they're up to (provided they aren't harming anyone against their will or kicking puppies or anything)... it just means that I'm stating what, to me, seems obvious :blush:

really... everyone do what they want as long as nobody's getting harmed against their will (if they want to be harmed then go for it!)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
One example is there's an old man in town who I really like - he's like 90 years old and I think he's an NT (I get the NT vibe from him). Anyways, I think he's an awesome guy. At 90 years old, he's always out working on one of his 2 houses, raking leaves, being active. He doesn't say a whole lot to people (probably INTx) But, when I asked one of my ESTP buddies about the old man, he got this alarmed look on his face and said, "Now there's a strange duck for you!" I was thinking, "Here's a guy that's 90 years old, goes outside and stays busy, doesn't bother a soul, just minds his own business and goes back inside his house for the evening. How in the world could he be a strange duck? Strange that he rakes leaves? Strange that he has a hunch in his back? Strange that he doesn't say much to people?" Since this ESTP is very much "live and let live", it really surprised me that he would say this. It must be that the guy doesn't talk much. As an introvert, I think the guy's great because he's not hurting a soul. Just minds his own business. Maybe an extrovert who thinks they're being ignored would take offense over the years? Not really sure.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...remarking that some guy is strange is cause to slap a "judgemental" a label on someone?

Just because we don't believe in micromanaging peoples lives doesn't mean we're all cuddly and accepting of everyone as a unique snowflake. That's the NFs. :p

If the guy's weird compared to everyone else then yeah, an ESTP is probably going to comment on it. So what?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
...remarking that some guy is strange is cause to slap a "judgemental" a label on someone?

LOL. I'm not slapping that label on him at all. I actually like the guy because he's NOT judgmental. So, when I started hearing him say stuff like this, I just thought I'd ask you guys - the ESTP's on this board - to see what the thought process is. If he really thinks the guy is a "whack-a-doodle" or if he's probably just saying it lightheartedly. That's all. No big deal. Thanks for the responses. /thread

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Use some context clues. That'll clue you in if it's lighthearted or not.

simpleamazement

MBTI Type
istj
Enneagram
I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but all I want to say is that I think that ESTPs are the most awesome-est people in the world and I love them.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Just because we don't believe in micromanaging peoples lives doesn't mean we're all cuddly and accepting of everyone as a unique snowflake. That's the NFs. :p

If the guy's weird compared to everyone else then yeah, an ESTP is probably going to comment on it. So what?

I was about to say...

You be on our turf there :nono:

The key to remember with ESTPs is that they're both Sensors and Thinkers -- as free-spirited as they may be, they're still only a letter away from an ESTJ. You gotta watch 'em like that. The only real difference is that where an ESTJ will maintain an opinion about a person, an ESTP will flip off their opinion and move on. They're more mobile and flexible.

Still EST though :shrug:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I agree with every ESTP who's posted so far. Amazin' how that works, eh? :newwink:

Funny enough, I do get that spidey sense about people like that, but because I prefer to be friendly with EVERYONE and like to take really stupid risks, I end up fraternizing with them anyway, sometimes with bad results. I think sometimes it's just a popularity contest, though - I want everyone to like me so I'll go to the ends of the earth to rub elbows with people.

Really, though, I've avoided the craziest of people, or at least don't get involved with their antics, unless they become retards later on in life. Then I have to turn the dial down. It's tough when it's your best friend, though. :doh: :( But mostly I tend to have this instant repel system where if someone annoys me I just avoid them/don't listen to them.

And yeah, the old man comment had to be light-hearted. Don't take most of what we say seriously unless it's completely obvious it's meant to be. Why? Because we just say whatever shit's on our minds. I hate it when people take offense at something that was more or less a joke or maybe just random nonsense. Kinda sucks. :( :shrug:

Use some context clues. That'll clue you in if it's lighthearted or not.
hah. Best post in the freakin' thread.

NTs seem to not be so good at that.

(Also, we tease alot :newwink:)