• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Help me understand ISFPs?

EsoteriEccentri

MBTI Type
INFP
I think I've already said, they're my favourite type.
Yet I know THREE different ISFPs. And they're all very different. I know there can of course be individuality within types, but very different is very different. Yet I can't think of an alternate type for any of them - and they all tested as ISFP. 1 and 2 are the most different. 1 is more world loving (at least on the surface, in a sit back be unnoticed way) and 2 is more world hating and everyone hates me. You might think they sound somewhat similar from the descriptions, but trust me they are not. Their whole personalities and attitudes are different.
Are they all ISFPs? Are any of them? Are they all just very different ISFPs?

She is calm, quiet, sensitive, creative(crafty), never says bad things about anyone, so GOOD (has NEVER shouted at parents), just gets on with her own things in the background. She's nice to everyone but hard to get to know. Very bright. Often off in dreamland. Can be quite nervous when talking to people, so she does a lot of smiling. Often seems quite sad, but unlike 2 doesn't tell random people all about it online. I'm not sure who is more private, 1 or 2.

Emo kid type persona. Feels the world hates her, often complains about really random things to prove this point. Spends her whole life on the internet. Not as bright as 1 - or at least, academically so. I think she's bright in her own way. Does talk quite a lot but only really online I think. Conforms to the whole idea of "emo" and flaunts the emo-ness quite a lot. But sensitive too. Creative in her own way. Very open online, but only online. But I do like her, though she can be sort of annoying. She's a really nice person, generally.

3. Doesn't seem quite as introspective as 1 is. Has a little group of friends and is nice, creative (again in a crafty way) and is quiet but will talk more with them. Again just gets on with her own thing but isn't as "mysterious" as 1. It's easier to know what she's feeling than 1. (N.B 1 is only mysterious because you get the feeling that she had amazing hidden depths that she hides. That doesn't mean 3 doesn't have them or anything) Doesn't seem as quietly sad as 1 often does.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I'm not sure what you're trying to understand there are going to be differences. I'm close to a few ISFPs and there are lots of differences but the similarities I'd say would be: They are people pleasers as a rule because they like to be liked. However if they are not interested in someone they don't make as much effort, like an ISFJ would. They are very sociable for Introverts, probably because they get a lot back for their F. They can be very surprising, more than any other type, something can be revealed about their personality that you'd never expect from them. Kind of like those little puzzle box's when you find out there's another compartment to it. But they don't brag about anything it's always no thing to them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure what you're trying to understand there are going to be differences. I'm close to a few ISFPs and there are lots of differences but the similarities I'd say would be: They are people pleasers as a rule because they like to be liked. However if they are not interested in someone they don't make as much effort, like an ISFJ would. They are very sociable for Introverts, probably because they get a lot back for their F. They can be very surprising, more than any other type, something can be revealed about their personality that you'd never expect from them. Kind of like those little puzzle box's when you find out there's another compartment to it. But they don't brag about anything it's always no thing to them.

To add to it: They tend to be artsy in a tangible way.... they play around and/or tinker with things (men tinker more), putting them in new arrangements.

Usually quiet, soft-spoken, understated.

Often have the ability to laugh at things and not have people get mad at them, because they're so kind and gentle and so you know it's not personal.

Very similar to INFPs in terms of "vibe" ... except the INFP will focus on the abstract, broader, more effusive aspects of relationship (idealism), whereas the ISFP is more focused on the tangibles and what can be experienced directly. They both love as deeply, though. An INFP can more easily follow why someone might do something that temporarily cause pain to those one loves, an ISFP will tend to get more hung up on that (and not want to see such things occur) because the emotion is palpable to them... it's present, whereas the INFP is working towards future goals.

I didn't really see problems with the three flavors listed in the OP. They could easily all be ISFPs, there are no "deal breakers" there at all. But I don't know if they are ISFPs without other aspects to compare to other types.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think with any type there is variation that can be explained with MBTI/Keirsey etc. methodology. Basically, what is their percentage spread? For instance, for ENFP, someone who is highly extroverted and comes up with 88% E on some test will most likely express their ENFPness differently from someone who is borderline E.

And outside of what can be explained by type just by life experience and individuality.

But, I agree with Lithium about the 'puzzle box' thing. I think maybe for XNFPs, maybe less so for INFPs, ISFPs are kinda fascinating because we can't truly figure them out! Or just speaking for me, the ISFP I knew seemed very multi-faceted and full of seemingly contradictory things that were unexpected. For instance, he was that textbook gentle and kind and gave off a really 'poet' kinda vibe. But, he was also extremely direct, and some might say confrontational in some situations.

Also, the side of ISFP's you see will depend A LOT on how comfortable they are with you and/or how much they like you. Perhaps this could be said for introverts in general, but I think ISFPs especially can feel extremely awkward socially and don't see any merit in things they consider 'superficial'.

And also I think along the lines of introverts and people with awkwardness or nervous energy, ISFPs are types that change and grow A LOT in terms of expressing their type as they consciously make decisions about how they want to live and deal with their shortcomings. Speaking from my own experience, I think my temperament and personality have been pretty consistent since childhood and any major changes can be explained by unexpected life occurrences.

And finally, I think some of the differences you mention between the types or how the individuals are expressing themselves can be attributed to online vs IRL. Especially since introverts and those dealing with chronic issues or problems are more likely to be vent about them online and keep it under wraps IRL.

storybrook

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
For a long time I found ISFPs to be the hardest type to recognize, I think because I wrongly associated the artsy quality with Intuition and often misunderstood them. They also seem to be somewhat chameleon-ish and adjust to the people and vibe around them.

Maybe "artistic tinkerer" would be the best way to sum up their essence.

wolfy

awsm
And also I think along the lines of introverts and people with awkwardness or nervous energy, ISFPs are types that change and grow A LOT in terms of expressing their type as they consciously make decisions about how they want to live and deal with their shortcomings.

Nervous energy is an interesting observation. What made you say that? Experience? What you said rings true to me.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Nervous energy is an interesting observation. What made you say that? Experience? What you said rings true to me.

OMG, I wish I remembered >_<

This was so long ago...

I had an ISFP friend (oh geez long story :p) and I thought he was soooo cool. When I met him he was early 30s and he didn't seem awkward at all to me but through talking to him, I guess I thought he had ironed out a lot of the shy/awkward/nervous feelings he naturally felt in certain groups or whatnot because he always seemed very calm and centered when we hung out, which was one of the reasons I liked his company. I thought he was very wise and genuine and that's where he drew his calmness from.

I think that's why I wrote that quoted part...

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

OMG, I wish I remembered >_<

This was so long ago...

I had an ISFP friend (oh geez long story :p) and I thought he was soooo cool. When I met him he was early 30s and he didn't seem awkward at all to me but through talking to him, I guess I thought he had ironed out a lot of the shy/awkward/nervous feelings he naturally felt in certain groups or whatnot because he always seemed very calm and centered when we hung out, which was one of the reasons I liked his company. I thought he was very wise and genuine and that's where he drew his calmness from.

I think that's why I wrote that quoted part...