• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Hate an ISTP? Tell us why!

ISTPs are...

• Awesome!

Votes: 38 79.2%
  • ok I guess... whats so good about them?

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmmm...

• So worried about being precise, they can totally miss the mark. For example, my ISTP was measuring a kitchen drawer front to drill some handle holes. He was so focused on get the measurements correct to the 1/64th of an inch that he forgot to step back after all the measurements were taken to see if it "looked centered." If he had, he would have noticed that something was out of whack and he needed to recalculate.
  • Getting stuck in a rut (aka accepting things as they are so much that they overlook change... even if it's for the better.) ISTPs do what they do. And the do it very well. And that's pretty much all they do. For example, my ISTP has his routine and he sticks to it pretty religiously. It never occurs to him to look at his routine and see if he needs to shake things up a bit.
  • Living in the moment at the expense of developing any sort of long range plan.
  • Not taking into consideration how their actions / lack of actions affect others.
  • Over thinking things. Did I mention over thinking things. Oh yeah, don't forget over thinking things.
  • When it comes to emotions, my ISTP has a tendency to get into the DLLD (aka The Dreaded Logical Loop of Doom), a term we shamelessly co-opted from MDP2525 on this very forum. In other words, he tries to apply his Ti to "understanding" and "defining" his feelings and this overloads his processor (because you can't understand emotions using traditional ISTP Ti tactics) and thus he gets stuck in the DLLD zone. I think of a robot who is trying to process some sort of logical problem that doesn't have any solution so it gets stuck and can only repeat over and over, "Processing... processing..." It tends to completely blow out his operating systems... so to speak.

Yes, all of these things are true for my ISTP female friend. Especially the one in bold. :yes: :D

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I guess it makes sense that there would be little hate for ISTPs outside of romantic relationships, since I was almost never involved in any sort of interpersonal scuffles or drama with my friends.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Most of my gripes only have to do with the fact that I'm an INFJ in a romantic relationship with an ISTP. :doh:

What drives me nuts (personally):

-the SILENCE. I self-disclose only once in a while, and when I do, it's something that's really, really sensitive and well-thought and important to me. Having that met me few words is really tough.

-the fact that nothing holds his attention for longer than 2 minutes. Once he's conquered a project, there's no repeating it. Done and done.

-the extreme dislike of emotional displays or efforts to convince an ISTP of the merit of something they would rather not do can be perceived as an effort to control, which makes getting your own emotional needs met reallllllly tricky.

That said, ISTPs are super, super cool. They can be really comforting and their earthy, even-keel approach to life can be really steadying in a relationship. They're really beautiful people, and can bring a lot of life and lovely, exciting experience into a relationship, especially for someone whose head stays in the clouds otherwise.

JFNI

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Boring

Too dry

Lack imagination

Robotic

However, there was one ISTP that had a strong crush on me. I befriended him just because everyone else had a crush on him. He was alright.

Trepidation

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Most of my gripes only have to do with the fact that I'm an INFJ in a romantic relationship with an ISTP. :doh:
You poor thing! :D

-the SILENCE. I self-disclose only once in a while, and when I do, it's something that's really, really sensitive and well-thought and important to me. Having that met me few words is really tough.
I think I might have something to say about this, hope it helps. Don't expect an ISTP to instantly give you a well thought-out and enthusiastic response. It will take an ISTP time to figure out the best thing to say, and if they sense that what you said is 'well-thought and important', they might be hesitant to respond for fear of saying something silly or offensive (or they might not have any clue and think it's not important, I don't know your situation). ISTPs are also kinda understated when it comes to emotional things. I might make a comment like "You did well today, I'm proud of you," when somebody who usually has their heart on their sleeve would be all "You're AWESOME! I love you SO, SO MUCH!" Getting a reaction out of an ISTP is sometimes usually like squeezing blood from a stone, nor do they deal really well with 'excessive' displays of emotion.

That said, you shouldn't always be the one conforming to your partner's quirks/expectations. Both parties need to put in some effort, right?

-the fact that nothing holds his attention for longer than 2 minutes. Once he's conquered a project, there's no repeating it. Done and done.
What can I say, we have a short attention span. :doh:
Although I do tend to come back to things after a while, dunno about your ISTP.

-the extreme dislike of emotional displays or efforts to convince an ISTP of the merit of something they would rather not do can be perceived as an effort to control, which makes getting your own emotional needs met reallllllly tricky.
Meeting your emotional needs? What's in it for the ISTP? You're so selfish and manipulative! :rolli:

That said, ISTPs are super, super cool. They can be really comforting and their earthy, even-keel approach to life can be really steadying in a relationship. They're really beautiful people, and can bring a lot of life and lovely, exciting experience into a relationship, especially for someone whose head stays in the clouds otherwise.
Yeah, sure. Whatever. :cool:

:blush:

Last edited:

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm an INFJ in a romantic relationship with an ISTP. :doh:

Wow! My ISTP's lifelong best friend is an INFJ. The two of them get along great. However, my gut tells me that romantically this would be a tough match. I think that the way the introversion would interact with this particular pairing would be quite the obstacle to overcome. From my ENFP perspective, I've gotta pull hen's teeth to get anything out of either of your types. So I can't imagine how an ISTP and INFJ would ever grow to the point that communication would come easily.

That being said, I never say never.

ISTPs are super, super cool. They can be really comforting and their earthy, even-keel approach to life can be really steadying in a relationship. They're really beautiful people, and can bring a lot of life and lovely, exciting experience into a relationship, especially for someone whose head stays in the clouds otherwise.

This has very much been my experience. Take for example the difference in how INFJs versus ISTPs interact with me. I adore them both. But they are like apples and oranges. INFJs touch my soul, so to speak. They get me almost like no other type gets me (except INFPs). ISTPs on the other hand, ground me. They may not always get me, but they do ground me.

I think it's also interesting to note that people seem to adore ISTPs. All people. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about my ISTP. (And, I've known him for 20 years and dated him for 2.) And, on this forum ISTPs seem to be universally adored as well. Perhaps their calm, even-keeled way makes them less overtly offensive than other types.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP

Those few words are very carefully chosen. Achieving the desired result with just the right amount of effort is something very beautiful.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Boring

Too dry

Lack imagination

Robotic

However, there was one ISTP that had a strong crush on me. I befriended him just because everyone else had a crush on him. He was alright.

ISTP's are usually full of good cheer I don't think were are boring or too dry at all.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess it makes sense that there would be little hate for ISTPs outside of romantic relationships, since I was almost never involved in any sort of interpersonal scuffles or drama with my friends.

Me too, romantic relationships is the biggest area by far that I am the most guarded in. I become extremely guarded with feelings in this area. It definately causes problems, frustration, hate, fear, etc.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow! My ISTP's lifelong best friend is an INFJ. The two of them get along great. However, my gut tells me that romantically this would be a tough match. I think that the way the introversion would interact with this particular pairing would be quite the obstacle to overcome. From my ENFP perspective, I've gotta pull hen's teeth to get anything out of either of your types. So I can't imagine how an ISTP and INFJ would ever grow to the point that communication would come easily

QFT.

Who said boring back there? I draw the line on that one. I've been called cold, mean, crazy, heartless, told that I'm going to hell. All this mostly by my friends. Same people who say I'm responsible, strong, trustworthy and understanding. ISTP's can come off on either extreme depending on how close you are to them. I could see either spectrum breeding hate if we are supporting a cause opposing yours or we don't like you. Other than that I can't see us garnering enough attention to be hated.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wish to complain that MDP is a girl!

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
ISTPs are awesome, don't get me wrong, but when they are in a bad mood...WATCH OUT! I always know how to cheer my ISTPs up but even though you can see them smieling on the inside, the REFUSE to show any emotion. It's like bad mood = robot. I hate that.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm glad that one of my managers is one. Called out today, had prepared a highly believable excuse that was original and flawless in every way, didn't even have to use it. The SJ managers would have given me shit (not that I don't deserve it but they don't know I'm making it up and still do it)

my face:
28h1ls7.jpg

Quiet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I wouldn't say I "hate" my ISTP x, but I "strongly" disliked his lack of Fe and his lack of empathy. I could say more, but I'm not going to open up that box and ruin my decent current mood. :)

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They tend to be somewhat gruff. And cliquish, at least on these forums.

In 'real life', I actually get along with them well. But not online for some reason. :shrug: