• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] watching people

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
people watching has always been one of my favorite ways to kill time... I enjoy watching how the other people move, what they seem to be up to, how they interact with others and their environment and such... people are interesting and they are all rather different from one another :)

I've been told several times lately though (I've had more time to people watch lately!) that I have the tendancy to watch people in a disturbingly predatory manner... like a lion would watch gazelles from the tall grass... sitting rather still in an out of the way location (It's shadier there and the sun burns me! :boohoo:) and just watching, not spacing off or anything :doh:

Worse yet, I watch people that I'm talking to in the same way... watching for body language, changes in inflection and such because that's where most of the communication occurrs. Most people don't realize this, but a few do... they tend to shift how they are standing and modify how they move once they catch on to the fact that they are being watched :blush:

I can't help it... it's how I naturally watch people! I was wondering... is this a type thing in a way? Just curious! :)

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
one of my favourite activities. watching and observing behavior.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
nope... a sociology degree holder with no outlet for my education :cheese:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh:

probably a security camera somewhere :doh:

I tend to look at those as well...

F

figsfiggyfigs

lol, you're so cute!

I do that too, actually I love doing it, esp at airports. Something about the frantic commotion, and the expression of remorse, sadness, excitement, regret, and everything else between. You want the perfect place of true expression, watch people at the airport. Just don't get arrested for looking suspicious :laugh:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
lol, you're so cute!

I do that too, actually I love doing it, esp at airports. Something about the frantic commotion, and the expression of remorse, sadness, excitement, regret, and everything else between. You want the perfect place of true expression, watch people at the airport. Just don't get arrested for looking suspicious :laugh:

I'll be at the airport tomorrow! I'm doing it. And snapping pics. I particularly like what some people think up for hair styles. Normally, I like to watch from far away, because if I engage in communication I have trouble maintaining eye contact and thus, can't actually watch what they're doing.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been told several times lately though (I've had more time to people watch lately!) that I have the tendancy to watch people in a disturbingly predatory manner... like a lion would watch gazelles from the tall grass... sitting rather still in an out of the way location (It's shadier there and the sun burns me! :boohoo:) and just watching, not spacing off or anything :doh:

The intensity with which you watch is directly proportional to your desire to understand your subjects, and learn from them. This is not predatory, it is professional! :newwink:

I can't help it... it's how I naturally watch people! I was wondering... is this a type thing in a way? Just curious! :)

It's definitely an ESTP thing! :cheese:

One time, my friend Jack (ESFP) and I were at the bar (outdoor) of a really nice hotel in Deerfield Beach, FL. We were buzzed to say the least.

Off to our right were these three guys. One of them was a really small guy, but he was so incredibly animated, he was hilarious, probably one of the most entertaining people I've ever watched from afar. The two dudes he was talking with tried to stop talking to him like three times, but they couldn't because he was so damn funny. Jack and I were cracking up to ourselves, watching from the other side of the pool deck. The only reason the two guys were able to escape was because a nice looking group of girls walked by and guess who started entertaining them? A classic, classic people watching moment. I'll never forget it. It was 100% positive. Everyone was smiling and laughing, you can't get better than that. :D

I'm watching you, watching them, watching me, watching you...

Holy Jee-Willickers! :shocking:

Who watches the watchers? ;)

The Uber-Watchers?! :doh:

Good tip! Especially about not getting arrested! :nice:

F

figsfiggyfigs

I'll be at the airport tomorrow! I'm doing it. And snapping pics. I particularly like what some people think up for hair styles. Normally, I like to watch from far away, because if I engage in communication I have trouble maintaining eye contact and thus, can't actually watch what they're doing.

No one said you actually have to communicate with strangers. I think that would increase the likelihood of you getting arrested.:newwink:

I actually love looking at how everyone is dressed. From people who are dressed for comfort, to women dressed in 4 inch hooker heels. :laugh:

@Halla, thank you for not calling me Ms.Obvious :blush:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY&ob=av2e"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY&ob=av2e[/YOUTUBE]

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
lol, you're so cute!

busses are a great place to people watch as well... and eavesdrop... you never know what you'll see and hear there! :laugh: Oftentimes it ends up that the entire front section of the bus discusses how the city SHOULD be run with the driver while the back half of the bus sleeps :rofl1:

And people watching in drinking establishments, as mentioned by Halla, is also quite amusing... like when the occasional drag queen walks in late at night and is fawned over by the men and such :doh:

The intensity with which you watch is directly proportional to your desire to understand your subjects, and learn from them. This is not predatory, it is professional! :newwink:

Indeed... I haven't lunged at a single Jugular vein yet! :yes:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
For me, it's more like an automatic thing than a pleasure or conscious decision. If I'm at a place where a lot of people are passing by, I can't really stop myself from observing them. In fact, it's often difficult to just space out and think (unless I have something that I'm really focused on) if there's too much going on in front of me, because I can't help myself but look.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I watch people too...it's more like when I'm going somewhere, and I'm surrounded by people. I watch their body language, I look for abnormalities, for beauty. I really enjoy looking at them and wondering, what's it like to be them, are they happy or unhappy..and why?

I don't think it's type related.

wolfy

awsm
I like watching older people. It is as if there is a story built into their face and movements.

Usehername

On a mission
On a similar subject . . . this, I learned from ESTP female friend (architect and fabulous dresser), is how people learn to dress well. They actually attend to their surroundings and focus on a detail and decide if it works, and why, and if it doesn't, and why.

Since she vocalized this thought to me a few years ago, my wardrobe and ability to effectively put it to use has drastically improved! It never occurred to me to do that before. It was a life epiphany moment, that people who use concrete things well pay attention to how other people successfully or unsuccessfully use them.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
people watching has always been one of my favorite ways to kill time... I enjoy watching how the other people move, what they seem to be up to, how they interact with others and their environment and such... people are interesting and they are all rather different from one another :)

Worse yet, I watch people that I'm talking to in the same way... watching for body language, changes in inflection and such because that's where most of the communication occurrs. Most people don't realize this, but a few do... they tend to shift how they are standing and modify how they move once they catch on to the fact that they are being watched :blush:

Yes, it is the TP thing. I also watch people. I have always watched people. When I lived in Helsinki and in Vienna, I used to stand in a corner of the railway station, watching people go by, for hours on end. People are great. At least amusementwise. :)

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
The way I watch people revolves around threat assessment. When I'm outside the house and especially if someone else is with me, I am constantly scanning my environment and paying special attention to those who look like potential threats and even more so when anyone is within striking distance. Doesn't sound healthy, but I definitely don't feel anxious while I do it. It's just a habit, I guess, but whatever...

Or wait, did you mean something else?

Last edited: