• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] "Nerdy" ISTPs

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is this idea perpetuated by ISTP profiles that a person with the mindset of TiSe is a too-cool-for-school, mechanically-minded, motorcycle driving, surfer dude who gives nerds wedgies. I suspect, in reality, that there are ISTPs who are those nerds....

A Ti-dom friend of mine seemed INTP to me because he's very nerdy in a scientific, logical, cerebral way. He's sarcastic, a man of few words, and far prefers reading something like Les Miserables to working on a car. His interests revolve around computers & food. However, I see little about him that suggests Ne-aux, especially in his expressions. He seems more intune with the tangible - for one, he's an AMAZING cook (I just left his house where I gorged myself on homemade kung pow chicken, potstickers, haznel nut icecream & a cocktail he invented). He also strikes me as pretty realistic & practical, where INTPs do NOT (although they may see themselves that way). Anyway, he is just an example of what I think a nerdy ISTP may look like.

Thoughts? Any nerdy ISTPs here?

Usehername

On a mission
My cousin is a nerdy ISTP who was at the top of her genetics class. However, she was also a very serious athlete and showed her ISTP side through that, so it was easier to type her.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My Dad's a dorky but lovable ISTP. Does this count?

He is interested in a lot of the macho things (drinking, fishing, cars, engines, watching sport, playing golf and pool) but at the same time he is a little unusual and surprising. For example, he has a love for musicals and opera. People find it hard to believe that a one-of-the-boys, mechanic went and saw Pavarotti perform. The thing with ISTPs is they like what they like and don't give a shit about whether its fashionable or cool to do so. I love this open, fearless, unapologetic, self-confidence. :yes:

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I find that there's a lot of range amongst the SP's. Think about it, not all geeks are N's are they? lol No offence to anyone, but some of the geekiest people I've met are ISTP's.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an ISTPfriend who is a nerd. He plays D&D with us, collects video games and comic books, believes in ghosts and goes ghost hunting.

And yet he is still a leather jacket-wearing, motorcycle-driving, womanizing little son of a bitch who literally charms the pants off of women after meeting them one time because he's a Bad Boy.

Even when he's geeking out about his level 12 Tiefling rogue assassin.

Bastard. :D

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I knew one who was really into things typically more considered to be the in the intuitive domain like reading fantasy and science fiction. However, as a whole, he was more the practical sort of person. He was the type that enjoyed repairing electronics and building computers from scratch. (I think INTPs are more inclined towards writing the programs).

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm very nerdy. I just know how to disguise it when I want to.

I was a math major, now programmer. I was always into really nerdy things that I'm too lazy/embarrassed to get into at the moment. :tongue:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, my interests were always more "nerdy." That's why I thought I was INTP for so long. No one ever called me a nerd, though, because they were intimidated by me.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I'm not an ISTP and I'm not a Nerd. I think my Precalc Teacher was one. I just laughed at his equations and he just gets cynical at every "guess" I've made that seemed like I did do the work. He thought I was smart lolz...but I guess I'm just a good faker.

Oh, and a relative of mine was also ISTP computer Nerdy: a practical one. His child, ENTP, was a genius though...in my opinion.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I'm a member of a psychology website which classifies people based on 16 archetypes.

So yes, I'm a nerd.

I'm gonna borrow one from Randomnity:
/end of thread

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a member of a psychology website which classifies people based on 16 archetypes.

So yes, I'm a nerd.

Wait, what?

Ok, we have to define "Nerd".

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ISTP friend is a nerd. Totally. It's in the mannerisms and speech. His speech is just...awkward. He's actually quite robotic in his movements. He was in the Marines. He's much more cerebral than I am. He thinks about things that I just don't care about. When he's drunk he gets even more nerdy. He just comes out with random stuff like "What if I was a pterodactyl?" :huh:

He's enneagram 5w6. I'm 7w8. That might make a difference.

I do crossword puzzles daily and collected comics into my early 20s. That's the extent of my nerditry. :)

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I'm a 5w6 I guess I'm a nerd...I tend to shift between two worlds theory and practical. But if I stay in that thinking mode too long I just feel annoyed and irritated. Se starts to show at that point.

Trepidation

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm probably one of them. Lots of programming, video games, etc., good at maths/sciences, others see me as smart and I like to look into esoteric stuff every once in a while. I don't play tabletop RPGs or attend sci-fi conventions however, not quite at that level of nerdiness and I'd just get bored.

Though I am pretty good at sports when I'm not busy being lazy. I'd be a better athlete if I would get off of my arse once in a while and train.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have always been a nerd in hiding.

An MIT nerd is different then a RPG nerd. One lives in sci-fi fantasy and one lives in reality fantasy. They do mix, but they are not the same type of nerdiness.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
MIT nerdiness can get you girls.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

So yes, I'm a nerd.

Wait, what?

Ok, we have to define "Nerd".

Let's face it: In the grand scheme of things, if you polled 10,000 random people, being a "member of a psychology website which classes people based on 16 archetypes" is, well, pretty nerdy. :yes:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm. I'm working in scientific research, I play a lot of computer games, don't like bars or drinking often, and read a lot of fiction and nonfiction - sometimes even for fun! I like fantasty and sci fi, and I've played mmorpgs and magic the gathering but given up both despite enjoying them. And I like forums better than interacting with real people most of the time.

Sounds pretty nerdy to me.