• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] "Nerdy" ISTPs

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My little sister is an ISFP and might look like a nerd on the outside to strangers because she has a PhD in molecular biotechnology and works in the lab all day infecting cells of the trachea of chicken and turkey with different strands of influenza. She always was among the top of her class in math and helped her class mates with calculus. Her being among science geeks all day wears off and she could tell you a few jokes of the type " a chemist, a physicist and a mathematitian walk into a bar..." Her hobbies are a bit eccentric as well.

But ...and this is a big but... the reason she loves her lab work is because it is hands on research, she loves slicing and dicing cells, using the centrifuge and juggling petri dishes. The theory is just a way to get there. In fact, it worries her that she has become overqualified for practical lab work and might be forced to do more theoretical/paper work in the future :) And those eccentric hobbies might be eccentric, but they are physical and concrete in nature.

A talent for and/or interest in geeky stuff does not make a nerd in my opinion. Now, my ENTJ brother (marine biologist, major fantasy, role play, dungeons freak, martial arts lover and not a girlfriend in sight at age 25) that´s a geek. But even he is too practical and physical to be a nerd in my book.

Sorry, but the admission criteria of the club should be a bit stricter than that. :p

Well said. I suggest we start quantifying this title.

KDude

haha..

Either way, I think I may have high numbers for an SP.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I have low numbers for/if I'm an NP.

9.5941% - Geekish Tendencies

KDude

I've always had my foot in both places.

I remember when I was 8 or 9, my basketball team decided we should vote for a name. I jotted in the "Colecos". :doh: Coleco Vision was the shit. Had nothing to do with basketball, but whatever.

They decided on the Rockets though. Cool enough. Olajuwon was a beast. That would have been my second choice.

DoctorYikes

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've always had my foot in both places.

I remember when I was 8 or 9, my basketball team decided we should vote for a name. I jotted in the "Colecos". :doh: Coleco Vision was the shit. Had nothing to do with basketball, but whatever.

They decided on the Rockets though. Cool enough. Olajuwon was a beast. That would have been my second choice.

Whereabouts in Texas? I just moved from San Antone less than a year ago.

On Topic:

I'm on the fence, Typewise (I usually am), but ISTP is the standing best guess. I'm pretty nerdy as a rule... But the casual observer would never know it. My visible activities are more traditionally Artisan; Sports/Martial Arts, Music/Guitar, Drawing, Fishing, that kind of thing.

Meanwhile, if you take a look at my bookcase, you're probably thinking, "Oh, a gigantic nerd."

Looking pretty good on the Geek Test, too: 29.8893% - Total Geek

KDude

I'm about the same way with hobbies and conflicting bookcase :cool:

In San Antonio actually.. northside, so on the outskirts. A little time in San Marcos and Austin as well.

DoctorYikes

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm about the same way with hobbies and conflicting bookcase :cool:

In San Antonio actually.. northside, so on the outskirts. A little time in San Marcos and Austin as well.

I lived in San Antonio for about three years (Medical area for half of it, Castle Hills the rest), worked at Methodist Children's. My wife was born 'n raised on the outskirts -- Lastly out around China Grove.

But yeah, there's a pretty stark disconnect between Observable and Private interests. Though, it's a pretty consistent lifelong pattern that I'm happy to have finally developed into a functional balance. When I was younger, I was the near-cliche' full scholarship Pre-Med student who flunked out in order to pursue his Rock Star career. *laugh*

KDude

I know where China Grove is. Since I'm Asian, maybe I should live there. "And though it's a part of the Lone Star State, people don't seem to care. They just keep on lookin' to the East."

I've always had the rockstar dreams, but never in practice. I'm just sort of fine finding people to jam with, playing rhythm or bass. I think if I sang more, I might have strolled into open mic spots and performed solo. For the most part though, I'm dependent on others to make a career out of it. Oh, this goes without mentioning that I have some sappy songwriter tendencies. I can be borderline F/T and S/N really. :cool:

DoctorYikes

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've always had the rockstar dreams, but never in practice. I'm just sort of fine finding people to jam with, playing rhythm or bass. I think if I sang more, I might have strolled into open mic spots and performed solo. For the most part though, I'm dependent on others to make a career out of it. Oh, this goes without mentioning that I have some sappy songwriter tendencies. I can be borderline F/T and S/N really. :cool:

I think I peaked at ever-so-vaguely successful, on the bad timing side of any given big break. (Example: One of my first bands got invited to perform on Charlie Daniel's old TNN show -- Which was promptly canceled soon before OUR visit.) I did have a bit of a Spinal Tap thing going with bass players...

Have come to the conclusion, despite a desperate desire to believe otherwise, that I'm a decidedly mediocre songwriter. Out of some couple hundred attempts, I think less than ten have passed my own personal Suck-o-Meter test.

KDude

Maybe I am an INTP. SP subtype.

spocklarge.jpg

Hmm.. Scratch that.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd imagine there'd be a fair amount of nerdiness in the ISTP crowd, especially when it comes to computers, gaming, and other tech stuff.

A lot of the posts here seem to back that up.

Sunny Ghost

There is this idea perpetuated by ISTP profiles that a person with the mindset of TiSe is a too-cool-for-school, mechanically-minded, motorcycle driving, surfer dude who gives nerds wedgies. I suspect, in reality, that there are ISTPs who are those nerds....

A Ti-dom friend of mine seemed INTP to me because he's very nerdy in a scientific, logical, cerebral way. He's sarcastic, a man of few words, and far prefers reading something like Les Miserables to working on a car. His interests revolve around computers & food. However, I see little about him that suggests Ne-aux, especially in his expressions. He seems more intune with the tangible - for one, he's an AMAZING cook (I just left his house where I gorged myself on homemade kung pow chicken, potstickers, haznel nut icecream & a cocktail he invented). He also strikes me as pretty realistic & practical, where INTPs do NOT (although they may see themselves that way). Anyway, he is just an example of what I think a nerdy ISTP may look like.

Thoughts? Any nerdy ISTPs here?

I know a few nerdy ISTP's. Strangely enough... my ex roommate and my current roommate are both nerdy ISTP's.

The one's uber mechanical, works on cars all day long... loves science museums and is getting a degree in economics... can't dress himself properly at all... glasses... and silly/nerdy humor. A bit socially awkward. But a complete ISTP and not INTP.

My other roommate is a huge video game nerd. Also can't dress himself properly. A bit socially awkward. But total ISTP.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Surely they are nerds, they'ld just never admit it :D

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYfFJRHx_q4"].[/youtube]