• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTP/ISFP

Unique

I wonder what the INTP/ISFP relationship would be like

I think an ISFP might like me

We have only really engaged at social events... do ISFPs ever get into a more serious sorta state 1 on 1 or do they expect the "sillyness" to continue?

Or maybe it would be a good balence... :holy:

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
ISFPs rock. truly.

There's a communication problem and there may be an interest mismatch but otherwise, I find their company very enjoyable.
The sillyness never ends from what I can tell :D. 1 on 1 it just heightens because as introverts you're both more energized.
Don't get too deep and Ti on them though, you'll probably bore them.

I think ISFPs and INTPs tend to think highly of each other. I feel very revered by the ISFPs I know. Their capacity for kindess always impresses me. They love irrevertent smartasses. In a relationship you'll probably have trouble with planning things. You'll probably hurt their feelings on more than one occasion too. But they're affectionate in a way that won't scare you off, like Fe doms may.
They're great fun and are one of my favourite types.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISFPs rock. truly.

There's a communication problem and there tends to be an interest mismatch but otherwise, I find their company very enjoyable.
The sillyness never ends from what I can tell :D. 1 on 1 it just heightens because as introverts you're both more energized.

Good assessment.

Yes, ISFPs tend to be my "cohorts in crime" but can laugh at my over-analysis of any situation. They'd rather just have me chill and enjoy it.

And yes, ISFPs get very serious about the things they value in life, sure.
But they approach it differently, typically, than having to sit and analyze it the same way we do.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
ISFPs rock. truly.

There's a communication problem and there may be an interest mismatch but otherwise, I find their company very enjoyable.

I think ISFPs and INTPs tend to think highly of each other. I feel very revered by the ISFPs I know. Their capacity for kindess always impresses me. They love irrevertent smartasses. In a relationship you'll probably have trouble with planning things. You'll probably hurt their feelings on more than one occasion too. But they're affectionate in a way that won't scare you off, like Fe doms may.

This! As for the ISFP that I dated, we were better as friends. When I'm in a relationship, I still have my crazy, funny side but there are times where things need to be discussed seriously - issues need to be hashed out. I found this to be nearly impossible with my ISFP. Anything "serious" made her nervous, uncomfortable, and fidgety. She would even sweat. She wanted to make everything funny, everything silly. She had a joke for everything. Which was great because there were a lot of laughs between us. Very kind, very silly, always up for a good time. The above post by edge is very accurate, in my experience.

Unique

ISFPs rock. truly.

Haha thats exactly it

They seem good at what I'm not without being really in your face about it

I've found so far that they aren't so easy to offend as an NF, they don't look too deeply into what I say and seem to have fun with it and usually a lot of the time I'm just joking around anyway

Rather than taking my over-analysis seriously they laugh at how ridiclous I'm being... which I can be

IDK I just seem to always offend NFs despite a lot of NTs saying thats the ultimate match...

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Aww, you guys! I'm gonna cry now. You do love us!! :wubbie:

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
:yes:
Haha thats exactly it

I've found so far that they aren't so easy to offend as an NF, they don't look too deeply into what I say and seem to have fun with it and usually a lot of the time I'm just joking around anyway

Rather than taking my over-analysis seriously they laugh at how ridiclous I'm being... which I can be...
:yes:

That said, I haven't found them incapable of being serious when the situation really calls for it. I take the humor as putting things in proper perspective. Better to laugh at life's ridiculousness than blow a gasket about it.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
... do ISFPs ever get into a more serious sorta state 1 on 1 or do they expect the "sillyness" to continue?

For myself, it really depends on the circumstance. I think I maintain the silliness, but I know when it's time to calm down and be serious. I'd have to say that I'm pretty good at knowing when to add a bit of silliness into the thick seriousness to lighten it up a bit, but only when it calls for it. There's nothing worse than trying to lighten up a place that doesn't want to be lightened.

Yup, that's pretty much it. :)

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
ya i love intp

isfp can be serious too tho :)

quamdel

MBTI Type
INTP
Random question: Do ISFPs and INTPs share in common... playing Poke'Mon lol?

The creatures are cute. The strategy is deep. Come on!

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Challenging but worth it. More than average amount of misunderstandings about things said or how they are valued.

My ISFP was a bit clingy. It was a bit much for me because I would tell her this and she would still cling. I have come to realize that my physical presence is important to her so I try to compromise and she is getting better in that department too.

Can get moody but usually short lived. What gets her most upset is if I get upset or visibly disappointed with her. Can overreact and think that just because I am mad with her and don't want to talk to her that I am going to leave her. Thus a greater amount of reassurance is needed.

Lots of sex/affection. Kind, considerate, mostly laid back, spontaneous, generous, fun to be with, accepting of pleasure, romantic, humble, artistic, sweet, cute, sexy, ego lifting, cuddly, warm, willing to please...

One of my favorite things about the INTP/ISFP relationship is the ability to vicariously see/sense the world around us with new eyes/feelings/thoughts. I think it is because we have all the opposite cognitive functions Ne/Ti/Si/Fe vs Fi/Se/Ni/Te in nearly the reverse order yet are both Introverts and Perceptives which somehow make just the simple act of being together and silently looking into each others eyes special.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Summed up in a nutshell: Playmates. (IxxP)

My ISFP friends are also the only ones who can get away with laughing at me when I'm really mad about something; instead of blowing up, I usually end up laughing too. It is sooo annoying.

Worst frictions:
S not seeing the possibilities that N sees, sometimes leading to judgments on both ends.
T not accommodating F values and vice versa.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Also it can take the its toll on the INTP. Its as if new muscles were being used that had not been used before or in the same way. Maybe work on your schedule to cut back on nonessential duties so you can focus on the ISFP. If not work and other friends can become quiet a chore.

The endurance eventually build back up but it takes its time.

Sunny Ghost

Good assessment.

Yes, ISFPs tend to be my "cohorts in crime" but can laugh at my over-analysis of any situation. They'd rather just have me chill and enjoy it.

And yes, ISFPs get very serious about the things they value in life, sure.
But they approach it differently, typically, than having to sit and analyze it the same way we do.
i've always valued the INTP's sense of humor. it's a dif. perspective from our own and so we greatly value it. or at least, i do.

ISFPs rock. truly.

haha. agreed. and INTP's have always been one of my favorite types. i've always been attracted to the INTP males that I know. i think us ISFP's also have a way about us that can soften the INTP up, which is perhaps why they are intrigued with us.

This! As for the ISFP that I dated, we were better as friends. When I'm in a relationship, I still have my crazy, funny side but there are times where things need to be discussed seriously - issues need to be hashed out. I found this to be nearly impossible with my ISFP. Anything "serious" made her nervous, uncomfortable, and fidgety. She would even sweat. She wanted to make everything funny, everything silly. She had a joke for everything. Which was great because there were a lot of laughs between us. Very kind, very silly, always up for a good time. The above post by edge is very accurate, in my experience.
i think we feel insecure around thinker types more so than with feeler types. other feeler types would probably see a more serious side of us more often than thinker types. if you'd like to see us more serious and/or intellectual, you have to set the comfortable atmosphere around us first so that we feel less insecure about what we have to say.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I wonder what the INTP/ISFP relationship would be like

I think an ISFP might like me

We have only really engaged at social events... do ISFPs ever get into a more serious sorta state 1 on 1 or do they expect the "sillyness" to continue?

Or maybe it would be a good balence... :holy:

I have an ISFP friend (she actually appears to be extraverted most of the time and I think she's close to E) and I have a sort of love/pissedoff (never really hate) relationship with her.

What I love about her
-She is bubbly and friendly
-She can be thoughtful
-Often rather empathetic
-Can have conversations with me where I spend most of the time sitting back and listening
-Creative
-Enthusiastic most of the time

What she loves about me
-I am kind to her and care about how she is feeling
-I provide a good sounding board and can carry conversation with her rather well
-Good at making her laugh with my semi-witty social commentary
-Go with the flow usually
-Often able to reach sensible conclusions
-True to myself

What I dislike about her
-Can seem VERY shallow at times
-Hyperdefensive and illogical in arguments
-Doesn't always get me and can seem cold at times
-Does NOT like to think through ideas very much before deciding on them, and can be persistent about her own ideas and values

What she dislikes about me
-Too pedantically logical
-Often oblivious
-Sometimes lacking enthusiasm, being to cautious and critical
-Not afraid to argue and bluntly disagree with her

It is a generally positive relationship and we enjoy our time together. My biggest problem with her is that she can sometimes just be SO shallow and it seems to be impossible to change her attitudes towards things (eg. She wants to marry for the money and to date people for their attractiveness, which I think is an awful attitude).

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What I love about her
-She is fun, alive and in the moment.
-She can be sympathetic/empathetic to the feelings of others
-Very Charming and considerate
-Mostly positive
-Creative
-Enthusiastic/free spirit/spontaneous/laid back
-Romantic/Affectionate

What she loves about me
-Cleverness
-Good Listener
-Makes her laugh
-Don’t try to force my will on her/not pushy
-Cool logical head in stressful situations
-That I’m nuts about her appreciate and value both her differences/similarities
-Relatively Knowledgeable

What I find challenging about her
-indiscreet gossipy and can misconstrue facts (although sometimes it can be fun listening to the same story repeated with new or different facts/themes than the time(s) before)
-“Hyper-defensive and illogical in arguments”
-Lots of misunderstandings often can take a pessimistic version of what I say especially if not stated in a sweet or gentle tone.
-Does NOT like to think through ideas very much before deciding on them, and can be persistent about her own ideas and values
Certain things or feelings can be stubborn about and will choose to be deaf to logical analysis contrary

What she finds challenging about me
-need more alone (complete isolation) time than she does
-Easily distracted/short attention span
-those cynical moments mine
-harsh or insensitive in things I say
-occasional grumpiness/pessimism

It was weird watching Meet the Press with her this morning and she seemed more focused on what the different talking heads looked like/were wearing/how they presented themselves than the substance of what they were saying. Although I was tempted to be dismissive about these comments as being irrelevant after second thought I reconsidered my original point of view and opened my mind to giving more weight to value of presentation and appearances.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As awesome as ISFPs are, I seriously wonder how a relationship would work between INTP and ISFP from a functional standpoint.

The order of functions in INTP and ISFP is exactly opposite. INTPs have Ti as their dominant function and Fi as their 8th demonic function. With ISFP it is the opposite. INTP has Ne as the 2nd function and Se as the 7th. Opposite for ISFP. And so on.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
As awesome as ISFPs are, I seriously wonder how a relationship would work between INTP and ISFP from a functional standpoint.

The order of functions in INTP and ISFP is exactly opposite. INTPs have Ti as their dominant function and Fi as their 8th demonic function. With ISFP it is the opposite. INTP has Ne as the 2nd function and Se as the 7th. Opposite for ISFP. And so on.

Irrelevant.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^ I wouldn't say irrelevant but not necessarily a game killer either (especially if you have a pretty good appreciation of MBTI, can explain it/translate it)

If nothing else what comes to mind is how Richard Pryor used to rebuke his white wives who criticized his misconduct with "Hey! Its a black thing! its a black thing baby, back off" and the white wives would apologize in a meek whitey guilt fashion. (the punch line being it didn't work on his black wives).

Perhaps it could work the same way with "Hey babe its a Ne thing, its a motherfucken Ne thing...don't lambaste the INTPga for doing his Ne thang!"