• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs: Unsure of your type?

Unsure of your type?

• Total voters

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
He is 17. ISTP has crossed my mind a few times. I didn't look at it closely because I was hung-up on the 'daredevil' stereotype. I need to examine it better.

I didn't know if ISFP were likely to conceal their emotions. He almost never shows any strong emotions or what many label 'negative' emotions. Outside of early childhood, I've only seen him cry twice and it was really brief. Perfect person in a crisis. When I was pregnant with #3, my water broke while we were grocery shopping. I told him what happened and he just took the grocery list (thank goodness we were almost done), and quickly helped me to finish the shopping without missing a beat.

Very comfortable in his body and he is a natural athlete. Loves watching wrestling and football. Great reflexes.

Very responsible but almost never takes initiative on anything.

He has no idea of what he'd like to do, so I don't have a career choice to give me a clue. He wants to do something "outdoors".

I appreciate the feedback. It's kind of funny--some types are harder to pin than others...I have already figured out two of his other siblings (I have another one with a big question mark over his head but it'll have to keep 'til he's older).

The bolded part is what I can relate to but that doesn't mean he is an ISFP (although I'm inclined to say he is an ISFP). My enneagram number is 5 which makes me more in my head than my heart.

If he want something 'outdoors' (which I did in my younger days) then send him to a career counsellor or pick up an MBTI book that focuses on careers. It's a start.

He could be borderline S/N and/or F/T (like my ISTP husband).

Here's a link that may or may not help. :)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The bolded part is what I can relate to but that doesn't mean he is an ISFP (although I'm inclined to say he is an ISFP). My enneagram number is 5 which makes me more in my head than my heart.

If he want something 'outdoors' (which I did in my younger days) then send him to a career counsellor or pick up an MBTI book that focuses on careers. It's a start.

He could be borderline S/N and/or F/T (like my ISTP husband).

Here's a link that may or may not help. :)

I asked him point blank about feelings. His dad and sister are ESFJ. "Do you get impatient with your dad or sister? Think they're being too emotional?"
He said, "Absolutely! Drives me nuts. I can't understand it. Really don't see what there is to get so upset over." Shakes head.

He's enneagram type 9.

We've never really discussed this before...stuff about feelings. Sounds like T-dom to me...:D

Thank you for the link!

Edit to add: I asked his Dad. He said there was no way that he had a F-preference.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I asked him point blank about feelings. His dad and sister are ESFJ. "Do you get impatient with your dad or sister? Think they're being too emotional?" He said, "Absolutely! Drives me nuts. I can't understand it. Really don't see what there is to get so upset over." Shakes head.

:laugh: Definately sounds like a T. I'd be more incline to be understanding but would be overwhelmed by their emotional state. (Being somewhat introverted and my e-type 5)

He's enneagram type 9.

We've never really discussed this before...stuff about feelings. Sounds like T-dom to me...:D

Thank you for the link!

Edit to add: I asked his Dad. He said there was no way that he had a F-preference.

E-type would influnence his MBTI. Check out the enneagram section. I think the member, Poki, is an ISTP e-type 9.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The way you described SP's here sounds just like me, but I am a definite ENFP. I do the intuitive leap all the time, but I tend to only jump to conclusions if I'm in a bad frame of mind. If I'm happy I will treat it situationally as in your example. I also have an extreme "whatever floats your boat" attitude. I don't think I've ever criticized anyone's posting style, or any kind of style.

HEY THAT'S GREAT WHO THE HELL ARE YOU

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh: Definately sounds like a T. I'd be more incline to be understanding but would be overwhelmed by their emotional state. (Being somewhat introverted and my e-type 5)

How do you react in very emotional situations? If you feel overwhelmed do you try to get away from the source? Or would you be more inclined to try and help? If you do offer assistance, does it feel awkward?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I asked him point blank about feelings. His dad and sister are ESFJ. "Do you get impatient with your dad or sister? Think they're being too emotional?"
He said, "Absolutely! Drives me nuts. I can't understand it. Really don't see what there is to get so upset over." Shakes head.

He's enneagram type 9.

Thank you for the link!

Pfffttt, people drive me nuts when something I consider "small" is made into a big deal.

My sister for example, her temper flares up easily compared to me.

He almost never shows any strong emotions or what many label 'negative' emotions. Outside of early childhood, I've only seen him cry twice and it was really brief. Perfect person in a crisis.

Very comfortable in his body. Loves watching wrestling and football baseball.

Very responsible but almost never takes initiative on anything.

He has no idea of what he'd like to do

These parts easily describe me.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
How do you react in very emotional situations? If you feel overwhelmed do you try to get away from the source? Or would you be more inclined to try and help? If you do offer assistance, does it feel awkward?

If I take the emotional reaction personally, then I try to get away and avoid the source in the future. However, lately, I have been doing alot of intense personal growth and I can now see that most emotional situation stems from people's fears (no matter where it is directed) and therefore I understand where they are coming from and able to have compassion for them. In these cases, I would love to help but I don't always know what to do for them. Awkwardness usually comes from not listening (or reading) carefully and giving wrong advice. :blush: I'm also not physically demonstrative (except for my husband and children) when perhaps all they need is a hug.

EDIT: When I didn't take things personally, I am able to be objective and separate the problem from the emotions. I would just give advice which didn't aways go over well. It took a while to understand that some people just wanted a shoulder to cry on or have their feelings validated or recognized.

Pfffttt, people drive me nuts when something I consider "small" is made into a big deal.

My sister for example, her temper flares up easily compared to me.

I unfortunately over react and can make mountains out of molehills but I am beginning to get better at letting things go. I also have a short temper but I am getting better at building patiences. All emotional reactions come from how you perceive life.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I unfortunately over react and can make mountains out of molehills but I am beginning to get better at letting things go. I also have a short temper but I am getting better at building patiences. All emotional reactions come from how you perceive life.

Enneagram has actually helped me a bit in this department. :)

I'm actually learning to be more reactive towards people. I've noticed a big difference between anger (or anything that causes an emotion) and indifference.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram

I'm actually learning to be more reactive towards people. I've noticed a big difference between anger (or anything that causes an emotion) and indifference.

Most def, I remember spending time with cousin going shopping. And while I loved the activity, she didn't think I'm having a good time and asked me "You don't like doing this much, do you?" and I was just surprised when she asked me that because I WAS enjoying it. I also got in other troubles a couple of times when people thought I didn't look excited or happy enough, even though I did. :headphne:

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ

:yes:

Enneagram has helped me as well. It also helped me with my husband since he is a 5w6 (I'm a 5w4), so when we had an issue, I could see him coming from a place of fear rather than attacking me. I could hear what he had to say with compassion.

Marriage is hard work. :)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you describe how your F-preference affects you then?

I'm gonna figure this out!!!! :doh:

Another tidbit of info. My son said he felt uncomfortable in emotional situations because he had no idea of what to do to fix it. Should he give the person a hug? He said he felt awkward with that because he's thinking inside, "Wow, I sure do suck at this!" He also added that if he prefers to avoid confrontations or volatile situations because he doesn't want to deal with the fall-out of such situations. He would rather say, "okay" or "as you wish" in order to avoid the 'shibbit' that could possibly occur versus being concerned about hurting someone's feelings or whatever. I understand this last bit and do it all the time...

wolfy

awsm

Another tidbit of info. My son said he felt uncomfortable in emotional situations because he had no idea of what to do to fix it. Should he give the person a hug? He said he felt awkward with that because he's thinking inside, "Wow, I sure do suck at this!" He also added that if he prefers to avoid confrontations or volatile situations because he doesn't want to deal with the fall-out of such situations. He would rather say, "okay" or "as you wish" in order to avoid the 'shibbit' that could possibly occur versus being concerned about hurting someone's feelings or whatever. I understand this last bit and do it all the time...

Speaking from when I was a teen, I can relate to the first part. What to do in those situations is hard. I don't know about the okay thing. I know I didn't push for change but I never had much trouble saying no. In fact, I think I took some delight in saying no sometimes. It was always just cruising or my way, I do it my way. And I would just block you from my mind if you got angry. Made me somewhat unteachable and gave me some weird ways of doing things. I also got down on myself for saying no so much, it was my first response.

I have a hard time explaining Fi. I know that I have wanted to keep everything congruent and all of what I do in line with some ethic that I have. That has changed over the years. I am in the middle of really trying to see how that works in action.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Nope.

:laugh: The bolded part could be a steriotypical male response or an ISTP (for females and males) the fact that he is aware that a hug might be necessary, rather than in hindsight or someone explaining it to him, points to an awareness of people feelings in situations. My ISTP husband is balanced on the T/F functions. However, I don't see him being emotionally supportive either physically or verbally. More cut and dried to the facts of the situation. He usually does not articulate his thoughts so cut and dried because he is aware of hurting people. He tends to be dipolmatic in most situations.

I do like to help people by giving advice (rather than providing comfort ie hugs) but I'm not thinking that I am fixing the problem nor do I think that I have the solution. I just hope that I help them feel better or validate their feelings to that they can look at their problems a little clearer.

I avoid confrontations simply because I tend to take it too personally. Aways have as far as I can remember. I am getting better of distancing the situation from it being all about me-e-e! :cheese: However, I don't know if this is an ISFP thing or not.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Another tidbit of info. My son said he felt uncomfortable in emotional situations because he had no idea of what to do to fix it. Should he give the person a hug? He said he felt awkward with that because he's thinking inside, "Wow, I sure do suck at this!"

Lets see... I am uncomfortable in emotional situations BUT my main reaction is that I want to make the other person feel better. As for what makes the person feel better, I just don't know, but the reaction is still there.

He also added that if he prefers to avoid confrontations or volatile situations because he doesn't want to deal with the fall-out of such situations. He would rather say, "okay" or "as you wish" in order to avoid the 'shibbit' that could possibly occur versus being concerned about hurting someone's feelings or whatever. I understand this last bit and do it all the time...

I avoid it if I don't see the problem as "a big deal."

wolfy

awsm
Some things that help are are they more personal/impersonal. A lot of times it is hard to see the personal side of isfp. It is more of a sensitivity than an outward behaviour. Also isfp are more behind the scenes, more informative. istp are more chart the course, directive. I can do both but will do behind the scenes first then switch to chart the course if I need to or want to.

I can't or don't want to do the other styles, get things going or in charge.

interactionstyles.
A Quick Guide To Double-Checking Your Type