• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Do you ever just not want to think?

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Do you guys ever feel guilty about NOT thinking?

I mean, if you're on a train or somewhere else sedentary, I can't just relax and daydream/listen to music. I've ALWAYS got to do something stimulating, like play chess or other games on my phone. Or read (and never junk like magazines/fiction...stuff like science or philosophy), write, etc.

Every time I try to relax, I end up doing math calculations in my head, or thinking up mechanical inventions, rotating/inverting 3D objects in my mind, etc. Kind of defeats the purpose!

If I don't, I feel like my mind is dying. :shock: But yet I suppose it's relaxing.

Do you SPs ever get that too? Or do you have the ability to just LET yourselves relax mentally?

Yeah I find that applies to be me as well. My mind needs constant stimulation although not quite as inventive as yours.

If you really want to mellow out the brain, alcohol helps.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Do you SPs ever get that too? Or do you have the ability to just LET yourselves relax mentally?

Definitely do. It's my natural state. At least, for the most part. There's always a part of my mind ticking things off, but it's more like instinct. When I have urgent things to do and little time to do them in, my mind's on hyperactive mode and I'm switching transistors off and on in my mind at sonic speed, thinking through different options I could take.

So it really depends. I love the relaxation mode, though. But I also love the other mode, as long as I'm not feeling too crappy. Which I am sometimes because evidently I have some medical issues or my eating just isn't balanced enough.

Also, my answer will vary according to what mode I'm in, because if I've been in a certain mode for a few days (or even sometimes a few intense hours or minutes) I'll tell you that's what I'm like because it feels constant because I pretty much only evaluate what I'm feeling at the time. The rest of the time is irrelevant.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you guys ever feel guilty about NOT thinking?

I mean, if you're on a train or somewhere else sedentary, I can't just relax and daydream/listen to music. I've ALWAYS got to do something stimulating, like play chess or other games on my phone. Or read (and never junk like magazines/fiction...stuff like science or philosophy), write, etc.

Every time I try to relax, I end up doing math calculations in my head, or thinking up mechanical inventions, rotating/inverting 3D objects in my mind, etc. Kind of defeats the purpose!

If I don't, I feel like my mind is dying. :shock: But yet I suppose it's relaxing.

I have to have something in front of me when I play with it. I cant ever remember enough about things to play with it in my head. I am an extremely external visual thinker.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What if there IS nothing visually exciting? Then what?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Hopefully I have some problem to run through my head or else boredom sets in and then I find something to do thats better then being bored. Currently my options are exercise, go for a drive, guitar hero, facebook games, etc.

edit: its not just entirely visually, but sensory. Others talking can kill boredom...it doesnt have to be the most interesting and I dont even have to connect, but it keeps me from getting bored. I am not good at small talk so you can see how this presents problems.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
If there's nothing exciting on the sensory level, then I get bored, and then I might start thinking about things. But I typically can't go too far with it, even with alot of effort. Sensory stimulation or no, it doesn't change my whole perception paradigm. I can miss specifics, though, when I'm doing this type of thinking. But the general range of sensory perception is never diminished. That would just be freaky. There's at least a very strong layer of background input. For instance, I'd still be able to tell if you were sneaking up behind me, unless you were really good at it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If there's nothing exciting on the sensory level, then I get bored, and then I might start thinking about things. But I typically can't go too far with it, even with alot of effort. Sensory stimulation or no, it doesn't change my whole perception paradigm. I can miss specifics, though, when I'm doing this type of thinking. But the general range of sensory perception is never diminished. That would just be freaky. There's at least a very strong layer of background input. For instance, I'd still be able to tell if you were sneaking up behind me, unless you were really good at it.

Its fun when people try this because it makes it so easy to turn this around. You know how bad you can scare the crap outta someone who is trying their hardest to focus on not being noticed by you :yim_rolling_on_the_

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Its fun when people try this because it makes it so easy to turn this around. You know how bad you can scare the crap outta someone who is trying their hardest to focus on not being noticed by you :yim_rolling_on_the_

:steam: A friend just did that last week. I was walking to work listening to my iPod and she leapt on me and hugged me from behind. Bitch almost got her head torn off her neck.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Its the other way around for me, I just want to start thinking again.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I generally enjoy thinking. The only time I don't want to think is when I have a negative obsession over something. Thinking IS chilling.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
All the time. I'm getting slightly better at zoning out these days, but I don't know how better my life is because of it. Maybe it's because it's allied with not-caring.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thinking bad!

I think way beyond I need to. It gets rather unhealthy how much I can just think to myself, and sometimes I really wish my brain had an off button, but the only thing close to that is alcohol.

I'm too afraid to become an alcoholic to drink alone, it runs in the family.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Thinking is refreshing for me, as long as I don't do that all day.

rav3n

Most often my mind is always thinking whether leaping around in unrelated thoughts to targeted, intense focus. It's probably why sleep is so difficult to attain and feels like a waste of time.

But times like now, it feels great to throw on some classical music and allow the absorption of the experience instead of intellectualising the music.

And anyways, I don't perceive myself as an intellectual, rejecting the title due to the elitism associated with it, preferring to be human, to be me.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am never thinking about anything. I am just riding on a stream of music thru life finding the loop holes and cowering under dangers... this goes well until an intp comes and spoils all the fun pointing out a logical flaw in your streamlining, but hey, I am growning more deaf over the years :)

This guy below shows that despite you may have a shitty CPU and even suck at thinking you can nevertheless streamline thru life like a master :D

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Up9oMBrOVM&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]

Sunny Ghost

I skimmed over a few pages, so hopefully I'm not repeating anything already stated... but do other feeler types ever also find their selves over thinking and over analyzing feelings? I often find myself torturing myself in the late hours of the night. I wish I had an "off" button for my brain.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I am never thinking about anything. I am just riding on a stream of music thru life finding the loop holes and cowering under dangers...

that is super cool, i like it a lot!!

you can nevertheless streamline thru life like a master :D

absolutely right!!!

power thru life, find the groove of your life and blow through the world with all the stops out!!