• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The ultimate difference between ISTP and ESTP

jixmixfix

Permabanned
i believe the best description for us is "silently kicking ass"

mgs-solid-snake.jpg

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have the same problem until I switch into crisis mode and I hit on timing really well.

STP = Grace Under Pressure

So true. I love deadlines. I love waiting and doing the bare minimum until the deadline is upon me, and then knocking out first rate work out of nowhere. Take that "P" critics! :laugh:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Oh my God, this statement SOOOO busts me. :doh:

FACT:
I have ZERO patience. :dry:

Oh my GAWD, SECOND'D! Or third'd, as the case may be... ;)

I can barely even read a whole paragraph of the drivvel beautiful prose people write, let alone respond to it all. Secondly, Photoshop drives me nuts (have to use it for online classwork I'm late on). If I can't figure out how something works in like ten seconds I get frustrated and my brain has to vent by doing other things, like what I'm doing right now... :doh:

ISFJ Girlfriend: You're doing other things besides spending time with me, like being on Typology! *a beat later* CENTRAL!!! :rofl1:

*walks out the door and slams it* You're hopeless!

:yim_rolling_on_the_

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP

So true. I love deadlines. I love waiting and doing the bare minimum until the deadline is upon me, and then knocking out first rate work out of nowhere. Take that "P" critics! :laugh:

DUDE! To quote Keirsey off the top of my head, we have the ability to bring businesses back out of the red, and with STYLE! :smoke: :D

For some reason I can't even do anything right until the midnight hour. It's like my brain's honed for Mission Impossible or something. Pretty much every assignment I've done this quarter and last have been with seconds to spare. :laugh:

I seriously put a presentation together in a couple of hours, while I should've been in class, but I floored them all with the beauty and grace of my comic presentation. Literally, I was presenting a comic that I had just drawn at the bus stop on the way there!

I talked to my classmates afterwards and they were all surprised, like, I thought it took you forever to draw thaaaaat... :rofl1:

The last project I did was literally done an hour before class and during class-time. Seriously, every last drawing, and then everybody was all in awe of me, like OMG! That is amaaaaaziiiing.... *kisses guns*

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wait until the last minute to get projects done too. When I focus all of my attention and energy into something, it doesn't have a fucking chance, I will absolutely kick its ass (like when I was cleaning my mom's kitchen, haha). I get better results when I know there is no more time to fuck around. When I went to college I constantly wrote my papers the night before (or hours before) the assignment was due.

And if I didn't get the work done in time for whatever reason I'd just stage a tear-fest in front of my teacher and get an extension.

Hey, I never said I had any shame.

BUT -- I cannot handle the stress of a situation that I have no control or influence over. If something is out of my hands and a deadline for something I can't affect looms over my head I will completely freak the fuck out. I can only handle the stress and pressure if I know for a fact that I can pull a rabbit out of my ass. Otherwise, I just sort of fall to pieces.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wait until the last minute to get projects done too. When I focus all of my attention and energy into something, it doesn't have a fucking chance, I will absolutely kick its ass (like when I was cleaning my mom's kitchen, haha). I get better results when I know there is no more time to fuck around. When I went to college I constantly wrote my papers the night before (or hours before) the assignment was due.

And if I didn't get the work done in time for whatever reason I'd just stage a tear-fest in front of my teacher and get an extension.

Ah!:doh:
Same.:cheese:

It's diferent for me. I'm sometimes angry and shameful to wait the last minute. Why am I not able to do things in advance?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ISTP way to move forward:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmSwCo1inhc"].[/YOUTUBE]

ESTP way to move forward:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HbF2ws2vw&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]

A thing the ISTP, ESTP and ENTPs agree on: the music from topgun is awesome ! :

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFoYW4fZAIU"].[/YOUTUBE]

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTP way to move forward:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmSwCo1inhc"].[/YOUTUBE]

ESTP way to move forward:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HbF2ws2vw&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]

Yes!
But I still think I'm pretty close with ESTP, lol.
A thing the ISTP, ESTP and ENTPs agree on: the music from topgun is awesome ! :

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFoYW4fZAIU"].[/YOUTUBE]

Oh, yeah!:happy2:

Then, another ultimate difference between ISTP and ESTP.

ESTP way to negociate:
[youtube=3BF774D71D2A7800]ESTP negociate[/youtube]

ISTP way to negociate:
[youtube=3oKwg6W05MU]ISTP negociate[/youtube]

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I like deadlines, too. Then I get my work done, with seconds to spare. It's much more exciting that way. And my work is always good, too!!!:devil:

Lightyear

That's an awesome STP characteristic. I am learning to work good under pressure (am maybe developing my Se) but I always have to tell my emotions to STFU! or they will sabotage me. STPs for the rescue!

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
SAME!

I have to admit I do this, too, but for all honesty's sake I at least tell myself that it's a controlled display of real emotion. But I started acting this way at such a young age that I don't remember anymore how genuine I am when I do these things (always tried to make it seem for real cuz I didn't wanna be called a liar). I just know that it works, and it works well. Never underestimate the sympathy of a fellow human being.

Hah, I'm constantly amazed at the things I do despite how I was raised. :devil: :rofl1: Hey, gotta cushion your position in life somehow. ;)

BUT -- I cannot handle the stress of a situation that I have no control or influence over. If something is out of my hands and a deadline for something I can't affect looms over my head I will completely freak the fuck out. I can only handle the stress and pressure if I know for a fact that I can pull a rabbit out of my ass. Otherwise, I just sort of fall to pieces.
Yes, yes, YES! Omg, if I can't control something, and it will negatively affect how my situation turns out, I freak OUT! I run around like a chicken with my head cut off. ESPECIALLY if it'll seem as if I DID have control and just didn't do anything about it, cuz I know the blame will fall on me and I won't be treated lightly. That kinda shit pisses me off so bad. That's when the excuses explanations start formulating in my noggin. :yes:

Honestly, those moments are fairly rare, though. 99% of the time there's a way out of a tight spot. :D

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have to admit I do this, too, but for all honesty's sake I at least tell myself that it's a controlled display of real emotion. But I started acting this way at such a young age that I don't remember anymore how genuine I am when I do these things (always tried to make it seem for real cuz I didn't wanna be called a liar). I just know that it works, and it works well. Never underestimate the sympathy of a fellow human being.

I came to an understanding at a young age about what were real emotions and what were just staged. I know myself very, very well; I know when I'm full of shit, when my arguments have no basis, and when I'm being unreasonable or mean. Not like I'll ever admit it, of course. Rule #1 of selling yourself, look completely convinced of your own bullshit.

I remember my ESFJ sister being angry/frustrated at me over something silly when I was a teenager -- she was ranting at me that I was so oblivious to how wrong and stupid I was and that I needed to have someone force me to understand because I'm incapable of doing it on my own. I told her, with an impassive expression and all-business tone of voice, that the fact that I don't admit how fucked up I am doesn't mean I'm not fully aware of it and in fact, I am in better control of my own actions and am more self-aware than her projecting, tantrum-throwing ass could ever hope for.

She was just...dumbfounded, haha. I'll never forget the stunned look on her face, as though I had smacked her.

Yes, yes, YES! Omg, if I can't control something, and it will negatively affect how my situation turns out, I freak OUT! I run around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Scott and I have been having some very serious financial problems. Last month, I had no way to pay my rent. My landlord waited as long as he could and he tried to work with me, but it was the end of the month and he had to do what he had to do and I was 24 hours away from having an eviction notice posted on my door and I had literally no way to stop it -- not enough funds, resources were tapped, friends couldn't spare anything. I was hyperventilating, crying, pacing back and forth -- man, I was a mess. I think it was the shock of seeing my utter lack of composure that got my mom to grudgingly admit that she could do some clever banking and get me what I needed to keep my apartment. Once my rent was paid and I had a moment to relax I felt completely shredded. It was hot bath and beer time for me. :smile:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I came to an understanding at a young age about what were real emotions and what were just staged. I know myself very, very well; I know when I'm full of shit, when my arguments have no basis, and when I'm being unreasonable or mean. Not like I'll ever admit it, of course. Rule #1 of selling yourself, look completely convinced of your own bullshit.
Interesting. I wonder how this plays out with personality theory, or if it even needs to. You'd think that something like that would. Maybe as a guy I'm less in touch with my emotions? :thinking:

All I know is that I'm a continual actor. I'm hugely optimistic and extremely flexible to the point of being careless and cynical about the past and free-as-the-wind about what may come. So basically what that amounts to is that while I'm enjoying life to the fullest, I simply don't give a sh*t about anything. Things can go pretty much go to the shitter and I won't care because there's always a way to fix it. There are sometimes exceptions to this, though.

Anyway my point is that with this attitude I can safely act my way through anything because I'm rather calm and impassive, thus I work things to my advantage by keeping cool and in control. Honestly I think I can't tell the difference because I probably just don't have enough "genuine" emotion to compare against. Most of the fucking time I AM faking it.

I remember my ESFJ sister being angry/frustrated at me over something silly when I was a teenager -- she was ranting at me that I was so oblivious to how wrong and stupid I was and that I needed to have someone force me to understand because I'm incapable of doing it on my own. I told her, with an impassive expression and all-business tone of voice, that the fact that I don't admit how fucked up I am doesn't mean I'm not fully aware of it and in fact, I am in better control of my own actions and am more self-aware than her projecting, tantrum-throwing ass could ever hope for.

She was just...dumbfounded, haha. I'll never forget the stunned look on her face, as though I had smacked her.
Hah, this I relate to. I know exactly what I'm doing every second of the day. I fake it so well, though, that people are 100% convinced of my bullshit even when I inform them otherwise. I realized early on that that doesn't work. If you're going to act, you just gotta play it through because people believe the illusion. So you gotta know exactly what card you wanna play from the outset and stick with it.

Sometimes I've played stupid on purpose, in fact I used to do it fairly constantly as a kid, but I realized it has its drawbacks. I mean, people will let you get by with stuff or start talking about somewhat confidential matters in your presence if they've come to think that you're unaware or not bright enough to understand, but then again, they also think you're a retard and never give you the benefit of the doubt... :doh: :laugh:

Of course, that's when you look for just the right opportunity to come right back at 'em and shock them all with your mad smarts. :devil: Now that requires some skill.

Scott and I have been having some very serious financial problems. Last month, I had no way to pay my rent. My landlord waited as long as he could and he tried to work with me, but it was the end of the month and he had to do what he had to do and I was 24 hours away from having an eviction notice posted on my door and I had literally no way to stop it -- not enough funds, resources were tapped, friends couldn't spare anything. I was hyperventilating, crying, pacing back and forth -- man, I was a mess. I think it was the shock of seeing my utter lack of composure that got my mom to grudgingly admit that she could do some clever banking and get me what I needed to keep my apartment. Once my rent was paid and I had a moment to relax I felt completely shredded. It was hot bath and beer time for me. :smile:
Shooooot, that's why I only pay rent to roommies, hah. My current landlord IS my roommie. I haven't had trouble paying rent, though. Maybe a couple days late every once in awhile, but yeah.

In similar situations I definitely start freaking out. That's when I'd be digging through my closet for ebay-worthy items, hah. Ask my boss for a quick loan or at least an advance check. Buy alot of clothing on sale and return it all to a higher-end store. Y'know, something simple. ;)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
ESTP: Do/act first, think then (maybe)
ISTP: Think first and then (maybe) do/act

jixmixfix

Permabanned

I notice the acting part for me becomes alot easier as a grow older. Not sure if the thinking part for ESTPs become more apparent as well.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTP:
Now I may not be the worst or the best but you gotta respect my honesty.
And I may break your heart, but I don't really think there's anybody's as bomb as me
So you can take this chance, in the end everybody's gonna be wondering how ya deal

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Oh I don't know about that. I always think before I act. My thought process cycles through very quickly, though (I can read a situation, digest the information and come to a snap decision in the blink of an eye), so I guess I may have the appearance of impulsiveness.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh I don't know about that. I always think before I act. My thought process cycles through very quickly, though (I can read a situation, digest the information and come to a snap decision in the blink of an eye), so I guess I may have the appearance of impulsiveness.

Stop. Reading. My. Mind. AGAIN. :cheese: