• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The ultimate difference between ISTP and ESTP

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Oh I don't know about that. I always think before I act. My thought process cycles through very quickly, though (I can read a situation, digest the information and come to a snap decision in the blink of an eye), so I guess I may have the appearance of impulsiveness.
Yep, this. I'm one jump ahead because I've already analyzed everything completely and have made such an educated guess for what's going to happen next that it might as well be an infallible premonition. Sometimes I'm wrong, but I've already covered my bases in that scenario, too. Nobody catches me by surprise.

I just got laid off but I saw it coming a mile away. In fact the day before I was considering getting another job anyway. :newwink: :yay: :rock: In fact in fact, I was just about to ask my boss if I could give them my two weeks' notice, but I decided to play it safe with my ISFJ's encouragement.

...I totally should have. It would've been HIGH-larious! :happy:

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most of the best friends I've ever had were ESTPs. I didn't know there were so many. :thelook:

I like ISTPs too, but they won't go out their way to socialize outside of school/work/etc.

That's a key difference, I think. The ESTPs will force assert themselves in your circle, ISTPs are more the lunch break chat types. It's a confirmation of the obvious. I vs. E.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most of the best friends I've ever had were ESTPs. I didn't know there were so many. :thelook:

I like ISTPs too, but they won't go out their way to socialize outside of school/work/etc.

That's a key difference, I think. The ESTPs will force assert themselves in your circle, ISTPs are more the lunch break chat types. It's a confirmation of the obvious. I vs. E.

:yes: Its a huge flaw...one day I may explain whats behind it.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP

At first I read that to mean "they will force assert themselves into your circle," and I was like ermmm... :shock: no. That never works. It's the mark of a pathetic soul.

Assert myself inside a circle? Yes, unconsciously, even. It's the enjoyment of life that spills over and gets me talking over other people, not even on purpose. A split second later I find they were trying to say something and sometimes I stop but they never start again, so I've learned to just keep going anyway. :D

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
At first I read that to mean "they will force assert themselves into your circle," and I was like ermmm... :shock: no. That never works. It's the mark of a pathetic soul.

Assert myself inside a circle? Yes, unconsciously, even. It's the enjoyment of life that spills over and gets me talking over other people, not even on purpose. A split second later I find they were trying to say something and sometimes I stop but they never start again, so I've learned to just keep going anyway. :D

:rofl1:

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Well I meant that ESTPs aren't shy about dragging people whom they're not already friends with all over the place, and cajoling until they say yes. They get really enthusiastic and just assume the other person's "shy". And a few of them had a habit of inviting themselves. :doh:

If any other type did what they did, they'd come off as pathetic and creepy. But ESTPs do it to everyone and are fun and casual about it, so we all know they're just wired spazz bunnies. :smile:

:cheers: That's just being an extrovert. My INTJ stepfather gave me HELL about this as a kid, so that's the only reason I don't do that. The temptation's still there.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Hum...I'm kind of the opposite.

I don't socialize very much at lunch beak, school, work, etc, I usually start to socialize, but I realize quite quickly that they are just peoples I share the same job with, and that we have'nt very much in common, that we're just in small talk and it's boring. But I like very much to socialize outside of school, work etc. After all, ther's far much potential cool peoples outside than inside.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESTPs, compared to their introvert counterparts, are often reckless, fearless and rather unserious. This is of course not always the case, however.

always__________

MBTI Type
qTzI
In my experience, the main difference is that estp's are more likley to instigate or challenge people to "keep up!" or "beat that!" and when they win, they rub it in.

istp's wait around untill they see a chance to flex, do something crazy, and when they win, they smile and go on about their business.

both types are compettative when it comes to skills, but estp's are more in your face.

KDude

Every once in awhile I rub things into people's faces with something competitive. They take me too seriously though, so I stopped. I think I know two ESTJ brothers who are a lot more sensitive than I can be (and here I thought I was close to ISFP). They're really famous for making that :| face. Being the nice guy that I am, I don't want to hurt any ESTJ's feelings.

always__________

MBTI Type
qTzI
Yup I get that from sj's too. Probbably because they are more concerned with establishing a place in the pecking order. istp and estp are both craving the thrill of competition. estp's crave it more tho I think.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
All I can tell you is that I have never met anyone who has a thirst to enjoy all things that life has to offer that is more ravenous than my own. :cheese:

I don't look at it in terms of having everyone or no one, or of traveling fast and thus traveling alone. I know what I want to do, and I do it. Those that are with me during life experiences have them in common with me. Those I hold dear are dear to me whether they wish to be around me all the time or not. I don't pose rules and limitations on others, and I don't like them posed upon me.

It seems to me that both ISTP and ESTP are thought of by others as "troublemaker" types. We like to know how things tick. That's because we like to make things happen the way we want them to happen. Maybe ESTP is a little more aggressive in how they set out to do these things?

Both ISTP and ESTP are very creative. Both are risk takers. Both are aloof. Both create opportuniites and follow them as the universe unfolds before them. It seems to me the major difference between ISTP and ESTP is in "How They Do What They Do." :newwink:

I love my xSTP peeps. This planet would be one big ass party if there were more of us, I guarantee it. :happy:
Excellent points. I will have to continue reading to see if ISTPs feel the same way.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
No one at first glance would say ESTP and ISTP's are similar. Only through interaction do you realize we share common core traits but our concentration is on different arenas. I work with a female ESTP and we are very similar because we are "shoot from the hip" style communicators and we say what we mean. We both are efficient in meeting immediate needs and prioritizing potential issues.

Another thing I've noticed is ESTP's are big picture people. They just seem to concentrate on broader horizons. It's harder for me to immediately think like that. I'm more likely to get zoned in then expand from singular points to a broader perspective.

We both can read people and their motives very well. The difference is this. The ESTP knows how to put that information to practical use to implement their goals. ISTP's can do the same but it doesn't come naturally and it wears us out. Personally, I use that knowledge defensively. To protect myself and my friends from bad people. Doing anything with that information is not even on my radar unless a great opportunity presents itself.

Another thing is patience. ISTP's generally have much more patience than they do. I've noticed ESTP's are not so good with this. LOL. They want "now" 20 minutes ago. ISTP's are a bit more willing to wait things out. Is this because we are lazier? IDK...:laugh:
Another excellent point.

KDude

Excellent points. I will have to continue reading to see if ISTPs feel the same way.

I don't. If I am ISTP, that is. I have all the troublemaker qualities, but none of the sense of bigger (lets call them "networked") ones that ESTPs do. It's not in their nature to turn people off too much. There was a time where I could see opportunities everywhere, but it often entailed distancing myself in society rather than being the picture of "awesome". I like to know how things tick, and take risks. But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm Donald Trump. I learned about car stereos by breaking into breaking into people's cars. Just for example. That's opportunisitic, and learning how things tick, but not in a social or productive way.

I don't even have the troublemaker qualities any longer. I'm just boring now. Haha. Where to go from here? I'd be happy carving myself a little place in the world and just leaving people alone.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I'm not a troublemaker so much anymore... I use knowledge of how things work in order to push the correct buttons for proper cause and effect, as in "if I do A and B and use the proper skills in their execution I can cause C and D... and if it's done right nobody will even think that I'm the cause of it... they will think that they did it on their own accord" :whistling:

I'm likable if I want for you to like me, and if I don't like you you will not like me either. I feel compelled to always be fair with others and do the right thing even when I don't really WANT to do so and it would be easier to do otherwise. I have always viewed others as equals no matter who they are and am not intimidated by anybody (except for clowns, who are fucking terrifying!)... somehow others find me to be intimidating though, even when they like me :shrug: I get mad quickly and easily but don't stay angry for long because life moves too quickly to stay in any one single spot for too long. I use a lot of self control in everyday life. I never dress for the occasion... something about breaking dress code on a daily basis makes me feel just a bit freer and that really makes me happy :) I believe in "live and let live"... commands make me want to do the OPPOSITE... I don't give commands to others, if I want for them to do something I ask for them to do so and explain why... the final decision is still theirs.

if left to my own devices, I'm not particularly social and I avoid crowds of people and such... I'm an extrovert by mindset and influence only... I think about myself in relation to the world around me as opposed to vice versa and apparently my qualities tend to rub off on others more than the reverse occurs :cheese:

sorry Halla, but if there is a big party finding me present would be rather difficult unless it occurs outdoors :laugh: :blush:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yup I get that from sj's too. Probbably because they are more concerned with establishing a place in the pecking order. istp and estp are both craving the thrill of competition. estp's crave it more tho I think.

I dont crave competition :shrug: I do what I do because I like to and for the thrill of doing it. I would more prefer to show off then compete. Its more about who I am and what I can do then having to prove that I am better then the world.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not a troublemaker so much anymore... I use knowledge of how things work in order to push the correct buttons for proper cause and effect, as in "if I do A and B and use the proper skills in their execution I can cause C and D... and if it's done right nobody will even think that I'm the cause of it... they will think that they did it on their own accord" :whistling:

"Trouble" is subjectively defined, and EVIL spelled backwards is LIVE. :newwink:

I'm likable if I want for you to like me, and if I don't like you you will not like me either. I feel compelled to always be fair with others and do the right thing even when I don't really WANT to do so and it would be easier to do otherwise.

Sounds like you are "genuine" to me, and to many people, myself included, people who are "genuine" are by default "likeable." :solidarity:

I have always viewed others as equals no matter who they are and am not intimidated by anybody (except for clowns, who are fucking terrifying!)...

+1, except minus the Clown-O-Phobia for me.
My high school GF's StepMom was afraid of clowns, as is terrified by them, and I accidentally got her a "Happy Birthday!" card with clowns all over it one year. Oops! :doh:

somehow others find me to be intimidating though, even when they like me :shrug: I get mad quickly and easily but don't stay angry for long because life moves too quickly to stay in any one single spot for too long. I use a lot of self control in everyday life.

Yeppers on the above! :hifive:

I never dress for the occasion... something about breaking dress code on a daily basis makes me feel just a bit freer and that really makes me happy :)

At the office I dress sharp.
In my off time I wear Adidas, because Adidas athletic clothes kick ass.
Dress code issues resolved 100% in two simple steps for my life. :happy:

I believe in "live and let live"... commands make me want to do the OPPOSITE... I don't give commands to others, if I want for them to do something I ask for them to do so and explain why... the final decision is still theirs.

Agreed, and nicely stated!! :nice:

if left to my own devices, I'm not particularly social and I avoid crowds of people and such... I'm an extrovert by mindset and influence only... I think about myself in relation to the world around me as opposed to vice versa and apparently my qualities tend to rub off on others more than the reverse occurs :cheese:

I'm extroverted by nature, but do NOT need to be around people to be happy/content.
I seek the company of others when I wish.
My mood/behavior/demeanor/etc. is for the most part, very consistent.
Granted, I have terribly shitty days like anyone else, and they suck when they occur.
But, thankfully, I tend to bounce back quick from the dark days of life when they do occur.
That might be because I am way stubborn, or have a terible attention span (I have none, actually, as I've admitted before), or partially oblivious. IDK. :shock:
Regardless, I am who I am.
Love me or Hate me, I'm me.
I'm enrgetic and well intended.
I am very blunt, but not rude. I say things as I see them. I say what others are thinking, but often are not comfortable saying.
Life is too short to talk through the daisies.

sorry Halla, but if there is a big party finding me present would be rather difficult unless it occurs outdoors :laugh: :blush:

The setting of the big international xSTP party would include indoor space and outdoor space, both of them fully equipped to deliver a 100% kick ass and enjoyable experience. That was my desire anyway. If you want everyone to attend, then create an event that is worth it for all to consider attending. :yes:

Here, these are for you. :flowerz: I've been wondering how you're doing, and am glad to see you around the boards. :)

Cheers!

:solidarity:

-Alex

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds like you are "genuine" to me, and to many people, myself included, people who are "genuine" are by default "likeable." :solidarity:

I can be kind of grumpy... though that is somehow likable by people as well :thinking:

+1, except minus the Clown-O-Phobia for me.
My high school GF's StepMom was afraid of clowns, as is terrified by them, and I accidentally got her a "Happy Birthday!" card with clowns all over it one year. Oops! :doh:

makes me think of when the man snuck up behind the house and started pounding on the french doors with a clown mask on one night at 11:30 (he had to work late)... I'd grabbed the cleaver before he called and told me it was him and to let him in :doh:

At the office I dress sharp.
In my off time I wear Adidas, because Adidas athletic clothes kick ass.
Dress code issues resolved 100% in two simple steps for my life. :happy:

I am supposed to dress professionally at work and we have something against open toed shoes... I wear open toed shoes every day when it's not snowy out... the issue with the fact that there IS a dress code :ninja:

I'm extroverted by nature, but do NOT need to be around people to be happy/content.
I seek the company of others when I wish.
My mood/behavior/demeanor/etc. is for the most part, very consistent.
Granted, I have terribly shitty days like anyone else, and they suck when they occur.
But, thankfully, I tend to bounce back quick from the dark days of life when they do occur.
That might be because I am way stubborn, or have a terible attention span (I have none, actually, as I've admitted before), or partially oblivious. IDK. :shock:
Regardless, I am who I am.
Love me or Hate me, I'm me.
I'm enrgetic and well intended.
I am very blunt, but not rude. I say things as I see them. I say what others are thinking, but often are not comfortable saying.
Life is too short to talk through the daisies.

I'm quite content with a smaller group or completely alone... I actually HATE crowds of people and am an abysmal failure at public speaking :doh: stubbornness is a perfectly acceptable and admirable quality... my thoughts are generally "fuck you, life... I'm going to do what I want no matter WHAT you think!" :thelook: attention spans are things that happen to other people unless we're talking about work, in which case I'm surprisingly competent because it doesn't only matter to me... and yes, I'm me regardless of what anyone else tends to think... it's all that I can be at the end of the day and why would I want to be someone different? I've always spoken my mind and if I'm angry or happy or upset everyone else is generally perfectly aware :laugh:

The setting of the big international xSTP party would include indoor space and outdoor space, both of them fully equipped to deliver a 100% kick ass and enjoyable experience. That was my desire anyway. If you want everyone to attend, then create an event that is worth it for all to consider attending. :yes:

Here, these are for you. :flowerz: I've been wondering how you're doing, and am glad to see you around the boards. :)

excellent, because crowds make me feel like a caged animal... I need space to escape and feel FREE... I also tend to feel the need to run away from gatherings and always have... I return, but running away is the ultimate freedom (I even ran away from school frequently as a kid :laugh:)

I've been busy with work lately and haven't been on the board as often... I stop in and make one or two comments on most days though! :)

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(ooooh a group of sensors...cool....it's like being in a zoo. undercover :ninja:)