• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP, question about groceries.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay,
This is going to be kinda of a weird question. Just roll with it.
I have noticed in my SP female friends in particular, they stock up in food for years, but never actually seem to eat at home very much. It kinda cracks me up when they pull some thing out of their cupboard and it's two years out of date. You have oodles of food, but it just sits there? Why do you guys do that? It's sort of endearing in a way, but especially if you are single, you hardly ever eat at home, yet you have tons of food.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am quite the opposite!

My wife and I both buy about 80-90% fresh, whole foods.

We eat very little that comes out of a box, jar, or that is frozen.

As a result of this we end up going to the store a few times more per week than most folks, but we buy less each time, so it really doesn't have a cost impact.

Plus, it is healthier to eat this way, and we are both fit people with long term health aspirations.

So, not all SPs shop that way, but then again, I'm often the black sheep of whatever bunch I'm classified with. :laugh:

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
idk i just buy what i need for the next couple of days

i never store food for long

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do that, actually. I have a tiny, tiny apartment, but I could probably feed 10 people for a week with the dry goods I have put up. Dried beans and peas, couscous, quinoa, several kinds of rice, oatmeal, I forget what all I have. Not stuff that goes out of date, but I devote a lot of space considering I don't have any to begin with to emergency provisions. I have given people food or made food for them when they ran out of money before payday. You can do a lot with some dried chickpeas and a can of tomatoes...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
definitley not! :laugh:

I buy almost all fresh foods and the other ingredients I have (like flour, sugar, olive oil and such) get used frequently enough that they're always getting replaced as well! :holy:

I hate food that comes out of a box or a can... it doesn't taste as good, and like Halla pointed out, it's not very healthy :thumbdown:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
the one thing i've observed about sps on this board is their actually pretty health conscious, and all about fresh food. and i understand fresh food tastes a lot better than not fresh. but sometimes i can't afford fresh so i'm stuck with frozen or canned. though i prefer frozen over canned veggies.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
frozen is MUCH better than canned! If I can't have fresh vegetables we eat frozen vegetables... the man doesn't mind canned food, but I forbid it in my presence... with the occasional exception of tuna and such :laugh:

gromit

likes this
I don't like canned vegetables except for tomatoes (in cooking), but I don't mind canned beans. I buy things like dried grains too - rice, quinoa, etc. I have a lot of that kind of thing stored up. Not two years' worth though.

Okay,
This is going to be kinda of a weird question. Just roll with it.
I have noticed in my SP female friends in particular, they stock up in food for years, but never actually seem to eat at home very much. It kinda cracks me up when they pull some thing out of their cupboard and it's two years out of date. You have oodles of food, but it just sits there? Why do you guys do that? It's sort of endearing in a way, but especially if you are single, you hardly ever eat at home, yet you have tons of food.

It might have to do with feeling a particular way at the store and then not when you get home. I often feel like eating more than I feel like cooking... :rolleyes2:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, indeed! Or feel more like cooking than I feel like cleaning up, so I don't cook to begin with.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a packrat, I buy things in bulk when they're on sale or when i can get to a discount grocery store. canned mushrooms, tomatoes and beans, rice and pasta mostly, but lots of other random stuff. lots of varieties of frozen veggies (and meat), too, until my freezer broke :(

not as much recently though since I've been trying to eat more fresh veggies. but I could still eat for a while on my remaining food, albeit unhappily.

but I too like the thought of eating a lot more than cooking. I always think i'll be up for cooking later and then I get lazy. so things sometimes go bad :( bad habit.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
not as much recently though since I've been trying to eat more fresh veggies. but I could still eat for a while on my remaining food, albeit unhappily.

OP, I was that person until about a year ago. I used to eat out all the time and I had a bunch snacks at home. Well, I'm on the wrong side of 25 and my metabolism can't keep up anymore.

So I started eating 'healthy' sort of, I don't buy sodas or any sweets unless its some sort of occasion. Instead of always eating wheat thins I've replaced them with a head of lettuce. When I get the urge to snack I grab lettuce from the fridge eat a few leaves, my friends think it is very weird but I'm used to it now-- it is less about having something delecious as as it is getting relief from annoying hunger between meals.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I may be a packrat, but I'm definitely not a food packrat. I buy what I need for a couple weeks to a month. The only things that I might actually keep food long enough are basically canned foods. Even so, the majority of the foods tend to be fresh or food that needs to be used by a month or two.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
OP, I was that person until about a year ago. I used to eat out all the time and I had a bunch snacks at home. Well, I'm on the wrong side of 25 and my metabolism can't keep up anymore.

So I started eating 'healthy' sort of, I don't buy sodas or any sweets unless its some sort of occasion. Instead of always eating wheat thins I've replaced them with a head of lettuce. When I get the urge to snack I grab lettuce from the fridge eat a few leaves, my friends think it is very weird but I'm used to it now-- it is less about having something delecious as as it is getting relief from annoying hunger between meals.

I know what your saying...but you can't starve yourself., you need to eat more frequently, with smaller portions and healthier foods. You should eat every 3-4 hours with healthier foods, this will increase your metabolism. You burn off fat this way, and your metabolism increases because your body isn't stuck in starvation mode. When your body is in starvation mode it basically starts to eat off your muscle, it will also slow down your metabolism. If you want to know what is healthy for you its basically anything that grows naturally and isn't concentrated or constructed by humans.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When your body is in starvation mode it basically starts to eat off your muscle, it will also slow down your metabolism.

It's called Ketosis but it takes a while before your body gets to this point. You basically have to starve yourself to the point you have no fat to burn. Am I right about that Jix? Just making sure.

Have you heard of this insane way of eating where you essentially starve yourself? They say it makes you live longer but it's very extreme in how you eat. It basically rules your life.

Here: Calorie restriction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the OP: I buy what I need. I like making big portions of stuff and having leftovers at hand. I definitely am not a packrat. I hate needless clutter.

wolfy

awsm
It's called Ketosis but it takes a while before your body gets to this point. You basically have to starve yourself to the point you have no fat to burn. Am I right about that Jix? Just making sure.

Have you heard of this insane way of eating where you essentially starve yourself? They say it makes you live longer but it's very extreme in how you eat. It basically rules your life.

Here: Calorie restriction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't read the link yet

I think it is catabolism you are thinking of. Starvation pushes the body into a catabolic state, the breaking down of larger to smaller units for energy. Ketosis is chronically elevated ketones in the blood. Ketones are produced during the conversion of fatty acids to energy when glycogen is unavailable. It was interesting when I was sick once and never had breakfast. The doctor took blood and I already had elevated ketones.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wait, so what was the question?

wolfy

awsm
I read the link. Even though there are some studies that link calorie restriction to longevity in the animals studied, I think that the risks and downside of extreme calorie restriction outweigh any potential benefit.

Longevity doesn't make for much of a goal when you aren't having any fun. It is always best to focus on becoming strong and healthy in order to enjoy life.

And as far as buying food. We shop frequently and food never piles up. We make sure of that by eating it up.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I read the link. Even though there are some studies that link calorie restriction to longevity in the animals studied, I think that the risks and downside of extreme calorie restriction outweigh any potential benefit.

Great point, Wolfy. :yes:

It is not possible to assume humans will realize the same benefits as rodents or other mammals in studies of this nature.

Severe caloric restriction, especially if it is to the point of malnutrition during a human's formative years of early growth, are detrimental to a person. Even well past the age of the malnourishment, years and years into adulthood, heatlh issues manifest as a result of the malnutrition when a young child. Weak bones are an especially common predicament in people that weren't well nourished as kids. My mom and her three sisters were born between 1937 and 1943 in Germany. Well, in a postwar society good food was hard to come by. The youngest of her sisters did not get alot of meat or dairy products in her early years because of shortages associated with recovering from WWII. She has always had bone problems, and is now experiencing very bad arthritis.

I think that there is a good case for eating a healthy, well balanced diet composed of foods that are as fresh as possible, and at a level of caloric intake that is commensurate with your height/weight/composition/and level of activity. COMMON SENSE! :pumpyouup:

Longevity doesn't make for much of a goal when you aren't having any fun.

Agreed! :thumbdown:

It is always best to focus on becoming strong and healthy in order to enjoy life.

Nicely stated. :nice:

And as far as buying food. We shop frequently and food never piles up. We make sure of that by eating it up.

+1! :popc1:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't read the link yet

I think it is catabolism you are thinking of. Starvation pushes the body into a catabolic state, the breaking down of larger to smaller units for energy. Ketosis is chronically elevated ketones in the blood. Ketones are produced during the conversion of fatty acids to energy when glycogen is unavailable. It was interesting when I was sick once and never had breakfast. The doctor took blood and I already had elevated ketones.

Thanks for clearing that up. So that's what the Adkins Diet does right? Puts your body in ketosis because you have no sugar to burn first?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, that's what Atkins does.