• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Convenience

chatoyer

MBTI Type
eNfP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is this a strong value for you guys?

I've just noticed this theme among my SJ relatives & friends......to me, it's a bonus, whereas it seems like a pervasive value in helping people on their terms in a practical fashion, & just day-to-day living, everything must be convenient to their schedule.

Arilee

MBTI Type
ESTP
erm - Well it can be a factor in decision making. For me it kind of depends what mood I'm in at the time.

If I'm calm, I don't really mind whether something is convenient. If I'm wound up and stressed I will hit the roof if someone wants me to do something that is inconvenient for me at that pont in time.

Not sure if that helps.....

chatoyer

MBTI Type
eNfP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What was I thinking? The SJs are all completing projects, being productive, they're not lurking on an internet forum! So others may contribute.......so my thread doesn't die......

I've just noticed improved relations with my SJ friends & relatives when I defer to them on a social activity or a project, by showing my willingness to flex, by asking them, "what would be easier for you?"

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
absolutely. I automatically defer to them by saying..."whatever would be easiest for you". When I have not been flexible because I'm tired of doing it...I get..."what's wrong with you?" or "why are you being so grumpy?" So I suppose if I didn't always say..."ok whatever" I would have relations that needed to be improved. I guess doing it in advance nips it in the bud. :)

KMCE

whereas it seems like a pervasive value in helping people on their terms in a practical fashion, & just day-to-day living, everything must be convenient to their schedule.

Yup. You can't be sure that you can do what you have promised if it doesn't fit into schedule.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I like convenience when it comes to mundane stuff. When it comes to people, I will pretty much drop everything for a friend of loved one. In one way it's good, but it can lead to letting the people I have regular obligations to down on occasion.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
People know I dont follow a schedule, and dont care about convenience or timing. My parents will typically expect me about an hour after they schedule me for something.

Yes, that's another NP answer (sorry).

-Geoff

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
People know I dont follow a schedule, and dont care about convenience or timing. My parents will typically expect me about an hour after they schedule me for something.

Yes, that's another NP answer (sorry).

-Geoff

If you were my brother, this would be me: :azdaja:

Do you find yourself showing up an hour late for things that are just beginning? If so, your family members are telling you they start an hour before they actually do so you'll be there on time. Been there, done that. :)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
If you were my brother, this would be me: :azdaja:

Do you find yourself showing up an hour late for things that are just beginning? If so, your family members are telling you they start an hour before they actually do so you'll be there on time. Been there, done that. :)

Yes, my sister is always there first and looks disapproving when I saunter in late. She's ESFP, so she isn't exactly Little Miss Timetable, either.

My parents have learned to schedule anythign time critical (like the serving of food) for about 2 hours after they tell me to arrive :)

Also, I know this, so it becomes a slight double bluff thingie. Been there, done that.

-Geoff

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have an extended family member who is consistently DAYS late for things. He was once 48 hours to pick up his SO at the airport. He has gradually just stopped going to stuff and stays at home gardening. Must be nice to just decide basic social niceties like picking up your SO at the airport just aren't your bag.

God, I sound like a stick-in-the-mud.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I have an extended family member who is consistently DAYS late for things. He was once 48 hours to pick up his SO at the airport. He has gradually just stopped going to stuff and stays at home gardening. Must be nice to just decide basic social niceties like picking up your SO at the airport just aren't your bag.

God, I sound like a stick-in-the-mud.

Nah, it just sounds like you have different priorities and preferences in life. Your reaction is just as expected if you are ISFJ (INFJ maybe?). This stuff matters to you! I can also see exactly why, it should be annoying to most people.

I once turned up 3 days late on a Transatlantic flight. I managed to go from Nova Scotia to the UK via two other locations (Toronto and Paris). Felt like a good idea at the time and cost me nothing :)

Problem was, I hadn't told the friend who was picking me up at the airport, who dutifully turned up each day for 3 days at the time my flight was due to arrive.

-Geoff

R

RDF

I consider convenience a big factor in productivity. If I want to be productive on a project, I chuck out a lot of NF ways of handling things and people and take the convenient route.

FL

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I optimize, but convenience is sometimes required for optimization. I got a house closer to work for a shorter commute, which saves time and money, for instance.

girlnamedbless

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yes, it is! I am so structured. I plan everything out.. my clothes that I'm going to wear, what route I'm taking to work depending on the time, etc. I hate having to change my schedule, but I will for my friends or family. I tend to get frusterated when things don't go according to plan, though.