• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Any ISFPs?

alicia91

When I originally came to this site I thought I was an ISFJ, but it didn't feel QUITE right. So I've been round and round, taking tests, reading all the descriptions of types and now I'm seriously thinking that ISFP might be it. I've always known that I'm close to the line of I vs E, but for the most part it fits.

What I'm curious about is your 'artistic' or 'creative' abilities. I guess what I want to know is 'are all ISFP's fine artists?' I consider myself creative but not artistic if that makes sense. I'm an Interior Designer and I also 'stage' homes for real-estate (making recommendations of what kinds of changes need to be made for a home to appeal to certain types of buyers - too smelly, old carpet, etc.). I'm horrible at drawing, painting, and any of that stuff - I do it all on the computer. In school I was good at technical drawing. I hate writing, but I enjoy practical, creative things like sewing curtains, refinishing furniture etc. though I don't consider myself handy and have no clue about most tools.

You?

Side-note - how do you feel about the celebrity examples who are supposed to be ISFPs. I was very disappointed - they mostly seem like people I DON'T want to be like. ha ha

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm not an ISFP, but I've had serious relationships with 2 ISFPs.

Both were very creative, but neither of them would be considered a "fine artist". One of them was a Film Studies major and made movies. He also participated in the TV Station at his college. The other majored in Art with a concentration in Fashion Design. He designed snowboard apparel & snowboards.

Interestingly enough, my INFP brother is a tattoo artist & an old INFP roommate is a studio artist. I wonder if it has something to do with the DomFi.

I'll throw in here, since you're still figuring out your type, that both my ISTJ aunt & my ISTJ-like grandmother are amazing interior designers. They didn't do it as a profession, but it's their hobby & wow, do they do it well! Very detail oriented with colors, fabrics, and functionality. Both have said that if they could do it all over again, they'd choose Interior Design.

alicia91

Thanks for your input quietgirl. That's interesting that the people you know of this type aren't exactly 'fine artists' yet are still creative types. Personally I have some disatisfaction with my career choice. I LOVE to do interior design, but I'm always stressed and burned-out. A few things make me that way including the fact that in most cases this career is best for Extraverts because it's all about selling and promotion. I'm also more very stressed by all the small details and often frusterated by just doing 'client driven' design where I basically just put together the client's vision rather than my vision.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
One ISFP I know is a musical prodigy and at age 15 plays several wind instruments that she learned quite "easily".

Another ISFP I know loves to design and paint things, make crafts, and work with her hands.
Her hair and makeup are always beautiful to behold - like artwork.

alicia91

Interesting. There is obviously quite a range within the type - musical prodigys to snowboard designer. I'm not at all musical but I'd love to design snowboards and related apparel. Just don't ask me to promote it!

EsoteriEccentri

MBTI Type
INFP
ISFPs are my favourite type, and a type I would want to be.
I'm INFP and my biggest talent is art, particularly fine art. However the ISFPs I know are more into textiles or something similar such as design or drama - but none of them are into fine art. Though of course, I don't know many and I'm the only INFP I know.

alicia91

I would love to have a fine art talent. I had only enough sketching, painting and drawing talent to squeak by in design school.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, I think ISFP's are delightful! My massage therapist is an ISFP - she has such great, calming energy. It was wonderful to talk with her.

Also, my father has a ISFP friend who's an occupational therapist. It allows her to help people, and to use her practical, yet creative skills to assist her clients with their individual living challenges.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
My ISFP mother sounds a lot like you; she loves interior design. She's always watching shows on HGTV, and regrets not studying design at school. Like you, she doesn't paint or draw often, but still appreciate things that stimulate her senses, such as food, fashion, etc.

I also have three ISFP friend who are all very creative. One does a lot of photography, while the others focus more on painting and drawing. They're all rather reserved, but make are loyal friends. Plus their Sensing preference helps me out quite a bit. On top of that, they all have better fashion sense than just about all the girls in school.

alicia91

Interesting! My perfect job would be doing something like occupational therapy and then decorating as my hobby!

ChazzMichaels

MBTI Type
ISFP
An ISFP...

I can say I do not fall into the category of "fine artist" anywhere, but I would consider myself better than average. When I was younger I was fairly talented with very detailed drawings,-my parents wanted to send me to an art school-, but I rebelled in my later high school years and lost interest. When I do get the chance to sit down and draw something now friends and relatives commend my talent, however, I have a hard time accepting anything I draw -or paint, sculpt, make etc.- as ever good enough.
As for the sidenote... I have heard Britney Spears is an ISFP. I don't know much about her but, I can't say I relate with some of the choices she has made.:shock: So.... yeah... hope you turn out to be an ISFP, our SP Arthouse forum seems a bit stagnant!:blush:

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hah, get online once in a while!

So.... yeah... hope you turn out to be an ISFP, our SP Arthouse forum seems a bit stagnant!:blush:

Dear one, if you got on MBTIc once in a while it wouldn't be so stagnant!
I recruited you for a reason!!!!!!!

(Sorry guys, just me :ranting: at my :heart: )

Griffi97

MBTI Type
INFJ
My mother was an ISFP. I wouldn't describe her as an artist but she was definitely creative in an individualistic way. One outlet for her creativity was gardening and landscaping. She was very good at selecting flowers and making rock gardens, which she really enjoyed. She also expressed her creativity in notes and letters. For example sometimes she would finish a sentence with 2 exclamation points, and then place a smile under them to make an exclamation point smiley face. :wubbie: She also would use stickers from her favorite wildlife charities to close envelopes. Small things, but creative nonetheless.

alicia91

Hi Chazz - love your avatar - very funny movie!! I can so relate to what you are saying about your creations not being good enough. I do that too. It feels very personal to me so it can be hard to put it out there.

Britney Spears huh? When I read the list of names on the ISFP list hubby laughed at Marie Antoinette. He joked that I'm just like her, but I presume he was just kidding. :huh:

Griffi97 - I'm a lot like your mom. I love gardening, landscaping and all of that. Unfortunately with a part-time job and three kids I don't have as much time for it as I would like. I'm also better at designing and planning than I am at actually picking up a shovel and DOING so hubby gets kind of sick of me making so many plans while he breaks his back. Learning to be more handy is actually a new years resolution - that way more of my plans can come to fruition without relying so much on him (or hired help). Like your mom, I use a lot of exclamation points (often double) and when I was young, used to make a small heart for the dot over the letter i. I also admit to sealing a few notes with a lipstick kiss. OK - so I haven't done that since I was 15!

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I would think that Improvisers (SP) in general do not fall into the "fine arts" category, because we are too practical and results oriented. Art as a hobby may be something of interest to some, but I see our talents in practical arts, where we use our natural skills and where variety is key. I could see ISFP maybe enjoying commercial arts, magazine layouts, cooking, being a home economist, interior designing, etc. The creativity may show in other ways such as creative problem solving. I think that fine arts may be more of an INFP thing, IF I HAD TO LABEL A PARTICULAR TYPE.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would think that Improvisers (SP) in general do not fall into the "fine arts" category, because we are too practical and results oriented. Art as a hobby may be something of interest to some, but I see our talents in practical arts, where we use our natural skills and where variety is key. I could see ISFP maybe enjoying commercial arts, magazine layouts, cooking, being a home economist, interior designing, etc. The creativity may show in other ways such as creative problem solving. I think that fine arts may be more of an INFP thing, IF I HAD TO LABEL A PARTICULAR TYPE.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Not to say any type can't be a fine artist, but I do find ISFPs to have a tendency towards more of the "practical" arts.

alicia91

I think that fine arts may be more of an INFP thing, IF I HAD TO LABEL A PARTICULAR TYPE.

This make a LOT of sense - I completely agree with you. It seems like SP's might be more inclined to be designers (landscaping, interiors, stylists, visual merchandising etc) of some kind rather than fine artists. These fields are definately where my talents are:yes:

nothappy

i think i am
well... it says i am.

i like music/art, but not really talented in it.

heart

heart on fire
I I think that fine arts may be more of an INFP thing, IF I HAD TO LABEL A PARTICULAR TYPE.

INFP are more poet or novelists I would think. I am thinking that sensors might be better at actual arts like painting. I could be wrong. I am speaking generally, here.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
These are excerpts from two of the sites that I think have better descriptions. The first is from bestfittype.com and the latter from Lifexplore. This is what they have to say about ISFPs.
I have a lot of interests and I can get interested in one thing, and then something else comes along and that looks fascinating. I enjoy using the skills that I do have, and they’re varied. I’m always on the lookout for something that uses my skills and abilities, that will give me variety and still be stimulating and let me have a mission with people. In my best jobs, I was connecting with people and problem solving and often using tools, adapting equipment or techniques.
My nature is when things get to a crunch, I’ll make something happen that will make it all right. I just know that I can do that and will do that. I love solving people problems.
I like recognition. It’s very important to get complimented soon after an accomplishment. If something goes unnoticed or unrewarded, it doesn’t have the immediate impact that I want. I’ve been learning my own positive self-talk. I tend to be a workaholic at whatever it is I am doing. You might say I’m a perfectionist. I want people to be impressed with my performance. I don’t want anyone to be unhappy with my performance so I continue to perform, and that is kind of a driving force. It has been a constant struggle to not overdo it. I need a positive environment to work in and I need the people I’m working with to support me.
In the past several months and more so now, I have come to appreciate that most descriptions make ISFPs out to be some quivering wimp afraid of their own shadows. I don’t see that and actually see them as being tougher than other introverted feeling types.
ISFPs learn best through hands-on experience. They may not be as interested in traditional academic subjects as some other types. They prefer application and practicality rather than studying the theoretical and only potentially useful. Making drawings, constructing miniature models, or using other direct representations to master the subject matter are appealing activities for them. They dislike structure and institutional settings that take away their spontaneity and freedom. They want their learning to be relevant to what is going on in their world. They have less patience with conceptual and abstract learning.
ISFPs enjoy learning subjects that relate to helping and knowing about people. They may be easily overlooked in the classroom unless the teacher has recognized their special ways of learning and their unique contributions. Encouragement helps draw out ISFPs.
At work, ISFPs contribute by attending to the practical facts relating to the needs of people and all living things in their environments. They can infuse a particular knod of joy into cooperative nature. Because they pay attention to the humanistic aspects of the organization, they act in ways that ensure others' well-being. People enjoy ISFPs because they bring understanding yet adaptability to the realities of their work.
ISFPs enjoy occupations that allow them to be flexible and adaptable and to meet the here-and-now needs of others. They enjoy responding to the moment and choose work where they can offer practical, specific help in times of difficulty.
Some occupations are more appealing to ISFPs: Bookkeeper, carpenter, personal service worker, clerical supervisor and secretary, dental and medical staffers, food service worker, nurse, mechanic, physical therapist, X-ray technician, and other occupations that allow them to provide gentle help to all living things.

Last edited: