• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTP masquerading as INFP?

Elli143

MBTI Type
ISTP
I first got interested in MBTI stuff when I was around 17, at which time I typed out as an INFP. I continued to test as INFP all through college (though T started appearing near the end), until somewhat recently, and now I'm ISTP. When I first started learning about MBTI I had dismissed the ISTP type for me because of its standard association with things like motorcycles, cars, and skydiving (I have zero interest in any of those things), but the sporty and technical nature of the ISTP does resonate with me quite well.

Reading through the descriptions of both types, I'm starting to wonder if maybe I was always ISTP but the circumstances during that part of my life made me type out differently. I was under a lot of emotional distress during that time, and only after I worked out the emotional issues did I start to test out as ISTP. Is it possible that ISTPs under a lot of emotional stress (unrequited love, emotional manipulation from close friends, heavy pressure to express emotional sentiments in group settings, etc.) might type out as something different?

I'm an ISTP female BTW, in case it makes a difference :)

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
yeah, for sure. i think it makes sense. one of my best friends is an istp, and we could never figure out what she was until recently. it was hard to type her especially because she is so nonverbal and private. AND, if you ever did see her emotional... you'd absolutely assume she was a feeler.

i agree that the best way to tell is by reading the descriptions of istps as opposed to relying on the test. the istps on this board seem to be of one mind and so i definitely think what they say will resonate with you if you are in fact one.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't tend to test as my type on the stupid simple tests, so it's quite possible :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I might have typed as an (unhealthy) infp in high school when I was melodramatic and depressed and emotional. hard to say.

Sunny Ghost

i think it makes perfect sense. and if you're going through some rough times, you're likely to reflect a lot as well as be emotional, which is why you probably tested as an INFP.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Under stress I can totally see this. I work at a very stressful job (forced socializing, communication issues -I work with 90% NF's, etc.) and it brings out the worst in me. I become a different person almost. Hair trigger emotions. One of my co-workers is an INFP and people say we are very similar....but he drives me nuts. LOL.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hell, I still sometimes test as an INFP. Be whatever type makes you happy, yeah? That's what I think.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
Which of the three types is more dominating?
1.) INFP
2.) ISTP
3.) INTP

Sunny Ghost

you know... i keep testing as INFP as well. i think it's really tertiary Ni confusing these results on ISFP's and ISTP types.

infpBlog

MBTI Type
INFP
The second letter relates to how you take information. It's also the easier letter for me to type in others. I usually ask for directions or instructions on how to do something. If they give me specific instructions (drive 5 miles, turn North on Main Street, go past two stop lights, etc), they're usually an S. If they give me general instructions (turn right on main street, it's about a mile down on left), then they're an N.

The 3rd letter is decision making. I type that in other people with two questions: where do you want to go for lunch? why there? Depending on how they answer, I can tell if they're a T or an F.

It's really about timing when I pop those questions because you have to do it when they're comfortable and not thinking about it.

For me, they Myers-Briggs is all about behavior preference is effects personality but it isn't the same as personality.