• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] Ni in SPs

gromit

likes this
If I understand the theory correctly, all the SPs use Ni to some extent... so tell me, how do you understand/use Ni?

I hope there isn't a thread about this already.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I blame it for being the function that occasionally catches me while I'm overstressed and runs a film of what horrible things could happen through my head... in which case I think it sucks and needs to die :2ar15:

Jaguar

I blame it for being the function that occasionally catches me while I'm overstressed and runs a film of what horrible things could happen through my head... in which case I think it sucks and needs to die :2ar15:

Think positive! :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
that's why I score so low on Ni! :holy: (I actually score much higher on Ne :laugh:)

KDude

I often don't get caught up in the flow of Se, I think.. I think Ni stops me in terms of.. small artistic choices. Not that I want to say I'm a particularly serious musician, but I might get some realization on the direction something could go when I'm strumming a guitar for awhile, and suddenly see that I can incorporate some element of a two year old riff I never did anything with, or just getting some impression of a motif or scene, and making something new from the different ideas and elements. Rinse, repeat. A lot of this could very well apply to..uh.. just about anything. Playing with legos, for example. :D Synthesizing comes from Ni, I think.

It might be there socially speaking, as well.. I think my eye moves towards the depth/meaning of experience, as I'm among people sometimes..what I do with it is an entirely different matter. If it's positive and light, it's probably in how I'll put a humorous spin on experiences (as long as it's not too odd.. happens sometimes). Insight might be negative too, in the form of social criticism..but more from the Fi angle (I think INFJs are.. looking more for the transcendent/consensus building angle in their criticism. While my goal isn't transcendence necessarily.. and I don't really care about marking my position or causes with words either. Fe is pretty good with that, I guess. Tamske talked about "Fi-Ni" angst once. I really liked her post on that).

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
If I understand the theory correctly, all the SPs use Ni to some extent... so tell me, how do you understand/use Ni?

No. I think it's evil, and the cause of most problems in the world.

KDude

That's because your ESFP. Te judgement strikes again!!! *Boo / hiss* :D

gromit

likes this
I often don't get caught up in the flow of Se, I think.. I think Ni stops me in terms of.. small artistic choices. Not that I want to say I'm a particularly serious musician, but I might get some realization on the direction something could go when I'm strumming a guitar for awhile, and suddenly see that I can incorporate some element of a two year old riff I never did anything with, or just getting some impression of a motif or scene, and making something new from the different ideas and elements. Rinse, repeat. A lot of this could very well apply to..uh.. just about anything. Playing with legos, for example. :D Synthesizing comes from Ni, I think.

It might be there socially speaking, as well.. I think my eye moves towards the depth/meaning of experience, as I'm among people sometimes..what I do with it is an entirely different matter. If it's positive and light, it's probably in how I'll put a humorous spin on experiences (as long as it's not too odd.. happens sometimes). Insight might be negative too, in the form of social criticism..but more from the Fi angle (I think INFJs are.. looking more for the transcendent/consensus building angle in their criticism. While my goal isn't transcendence necessarily.. and I don't really care about marking my position or causes with words either. Fe is pretty good with that, I guess. Tamske talked about "Fi-Ni" angst once. I really liked her post on that).

I think you and I were talking about that first paragraph on our wall-to-wall at one point. The sort of 'aha' moments when you're doing something creative. I can relate to that. Do you have any recollection of which topic Tamske might have talked about Fi-Ni in?

Hm... I have no idea if this is Ni or Ne or something else, but I will usually have some problem or issue I am 'working on' in the back of my mind, something I'm trying to figure out, like what is causing me (or someone else) to always react a certain way in a particular situation, or more philosophically, like what is the nature of 'mindfulness' or something...

At the same time I am scanning my environment for information or clues that can help me to see the picture differently/better/more thoroughly.

Every once in awhile I come across something - maybe something someone says, or part of a book or a movie, or some little poem or snippet of a sentence - and it will just 'fit' or resonate with all of the other information I have already collected on the subject. Somehow I know that it belongs with the other stuff, and I will keep collecting information. Other times it will be like the missing piece that finally helps the puzzle make sense, or connects two ideas that hadn't been connected before, or it will be like when you are singing in the shower and there's the one note that's the resonant frequency of the space and suddenly it is echoing all around you.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Exactly how a function manifests itself can vary from one person to another. In SPs, Ni isn't terribly well developed. When it get used, it is often just as a tendancy to reserve opinion on something, leaving the conclusion open until the person has had chance to use the prefered Se function to go and have look for themselves.

Or to put it another way: "I'll believe it when I see it."

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni is what makes me somewhat insightful into situations with little information. I don't rely on it that much. If I get an Ni "hunch" than I tend to try to gather more facts to back up my hunch. Often I find that my Ni hunches are a little off.

Ni "misfires" sometimes when I tell myself a story about a situation that is exaggerated and probably untrue. Ni can be helpful, but since mine is not strong, I try to take it with a grain of salt. Need my facts.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly how a function manifests itself can vary from one person to another. In SPs, Ni isn't terribly well developed. When it get used, it is often just as a tendancy to reserve opinion on something, leaving the conclusion open until the person has had chance to use the prefered Se function to go and have look for themselves.

Or to put it another way: "I'll believe it when I see it."

You are right on the ball with this comment!!

gromit

likes this
Would it be different for ISxPs than for ESxPs, though, since theoretically it is Ti/Fi, Se, Ni, Fe/Te versus Se, Ti/Fi, Fe/Te, Ni?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would it be different for ISxPs than for ESxPs, though, since theoretically it is Ti/Fi, Se, Ni, Fe/Te versus Se, Ti/Fi, Fe/Te, Ni?

Not really. That just means we all kinda suck at it. :)

haha- just kidding. Yea, it probably will be different.

G

Ginkgo

"ISFP - Composer Producer
Theme is composing, using whatever is at hand to get a harmonious, aesthetic result. Talents lie in combining, varying, and improvising, frequently in the arts but also in business and elsewhere. With their senses keenly tuned in they become totally absorbed in the action of the moment, finding just what fits the situation or the composition. Thrive on having the freedom to vary what they do until they get just the right effect. Take action to help others and demonstrate values. Kind and sensitive to the suffering of others."

Yes about Ni.

KDude

Do you have any recollection of which topic Tamske might have talked about Fi-Ni in?.

I can't remember now.. :\ She's a storywriter if you recall. Kind of likes writing characters by using MBTI. ISFP's get a lot of the common goody hero representation in many stories though (ISTPs get the badass antihero). She called it Fi-Ni angst. And channeling it by being Performer types, I guess it makes for good reading ;)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Okay, I hereby give you a Convoluted Sentence Timeout.

wolfy

awsm
... so tell me, how do you understand/use Ni?

Never trust a man in a suit. I am sure there is more than that, I'll think about it. I always thought Ni had some play in creativity for isfp as well.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Never trust a man in a suit. I am sure there is more than that, I'll think about it. I always thought Ni had some play in creativity for isfp as well.

Ni often takes the form of interest in the potentiality of something, what might happen what could be. I don't hink that functions automatically grant skills, such as painting or composing, but being able to look at a blank canvas and accept that it could become a master piece would be helpful in creativity.

KDude

Ni often takes the form of interest in the potentiality of something, what might happen what could be. I don't hink that functions automatically grant skills, such as painting or composing, but being able to look at a blank canvas and accept that it could become a master piece would be helpful in creativity.

I generally don't conceptualize.. For you, it'd probably be different. I think I'm more creative in the process of things...getting the juices flowing in a way. When it works in tandem with Fi and Se. I don't look at blank canvases per se (literal ones or figurative)...I just get the urge to do something first, I guess?

Outside creativity (like general social life), I've read that Fi in IFPs is always evaulating when/where/how what's seen in Extraverted Perception is compatible, and the Tert contributes to this defensive process (personally I can get like this.. I don't value Se in an extremely flowing/receptive way all the time). Si might cause an INFP to pull away a bit (I'd like to hear their own words though).. Ni in ISFPs would cause them to embody some of their critique (how.. I dunno. In style maybe.. Or breaking into animal labs and freeing monkeys or something :laugh: The sky's the limit).