• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs and Nature

KDude

What do you get from nature?

Just simple things, I guess.. I get fresh air, beauty, open space, but possibly the most fun activities to do are out of nature. Not necessarily peace however.

wolfy

awsm
I even get some sense of peace from the bamboo outside this window. It relaxes me, my mind.

CA3G0138Small.jpg

KDude

i strive for it everywhere though.

in nature.. hmm.. i guess. just depends on what i'm doing. i can easily go tubing or something, and be the guy that just floats off on his own, or at the lake, and just swim out by myself for awhile.

camping is not always good tho.. people raid my food, i might not be dating anyone, and all i hear is people having sex in their tents at night - and i'm in a tent with two of my friends girlfriends (babysitting!), who made me sleep vertically opposite of them, and kicking their feet in my face.. sigh. all kinds of things to go wrong in nature :D

wolfy

awsm
i strive for it everywhere though.

Sure, I was just thinking about how I can find nature in a pair of chopsticks. I got from bamboo to chopsticks in a few simple steps. I can smell food too.

I'm sure there is something I am missing here. Something that ties all of it together. Nature, living things and the need to express yourself through some kind of art, bricolage. There is something I can't work out that ties it all together to expression.

KDude

i think when push comes to shove though, i'm happiest in discovery.. maybe i don't strive for peace as much, per se. :thinking: doesn't seem to be in the isfp/istp way at least. like i never quite get my fill of fun, and keep looking for things to be fascinated about. even a small thing (i'm not a adrenaline junky by any means). could just be a book or new band or just some cool subject someone's talking about, or getting caught up in the directions of what i could do in a project (for me, mostly artistic ones), or just meeting a cool person. hopefully that doesn't sound manic.. it's not that. i just don't want to withdraw in the same way, i guess. i need time away from people, but not in the same way. sometimes.. i could be alone, and find a new thing to enjoy on my own, and like having time away to explore it, away from anyone judging me or pouring water on my enthusiasm..that's how i feel introverted. perhaps i need to rethink what that means in terms of typology.

wolfy

awsm
.. i could be alone, and find a new thing to enjoy on my own, and like having time away to explore it, away from anyone judging me or pouring water on my enthusiasm..that's how i feel introverted.

This is what I meant. I can see what I wanted to say in all your post, I think you did a good job of expressing it.

I have often felt that people are cramping me, moving in on my space. And destroying my space to work. I think that when I use the word peace I am saying free from unease and I mean free from mental unease. But I see that in my physical space, the space I am in reflects me and affects me. I like what you said about discovery, the description if you are interested in something can always find something new in it resonates with me. Like in flow, the concept of flow.

I might be confusing the matter by mixing too much of me in.

Sunny Ghost

That part of it is true, for sure. I hate paperwork. Insurance plans, taxes, bureaucracy, etc.. A lot of modern living is just.. not for me.

I seem to be more future oriented though. I like some of the past, but if I were to idealize something, it'd be... a space pirate. Something like that. Not a tribesman :p I mean, that's just one thing.. I want to do something new.

i love space pirates! it's why i love cowboy bebop and firefly! although... that's more like a space cowboy...

Sunny Ghost

Another part of the ISFP descriptions I like is the pull towards new..

ISFPs are the first to hear the different drummer. Many eagerly plunge into new fashions, avant garde experiences, 'hip' trends--some even setting the trends.

Similar to ESFP: New! ESFPs are attracted to new ideas, new fashions, new gadgets, new ______.

It could be nature. I could be something else. Sometimes I'm starving for that too though. Except hunting.. I have friends who hunt a lot, but I've never gone. Not my thing. I'd like to do something completely different, like hang gliding or white water rapids, but then.. can't really do either alone.
which is perhaps why i like the idea of something new rooted out of something old.

Sunny Ghost

What is it about nature? Animals and small children? Why are they in the description? Is it because they all afford a direct connection? The ability to express yourself through or with something while still maintaining a kind of detachment (detachment is maybe the wrong word but I can't think of any other word atm). Is it something like the istp tool orientation but with an animated twist?

I think it is something like that. They all are living things but are relatively agenda free. It is something to do with direct expression. It is, and you can do the same with adults, but it is tricky. The reason I like nature is because it affords me some kind of peace.

What do you get from nature?

With nature... it's Se. ISFP's are supposedly also the ones to truly appreciate the beauty of nature.

With animals and small children... it's Fi. We're sensitive and empathetic... and have a habit of tapping into our own inner child.

KDude

which is perhaps why i like the idea of something new rooted out of something old.

yeah, i would say that.

off topic, but lenore thomson would say esfp is a little different in how it scans the new (estps as well), since they lead with Se. i would probably explain it badly, but basically.. they kind of gravitate towards more popular expressions of "new", and reflect trends in a way. Fi is a little more personalized.. i don't think she went into Ni, but i suppose, that's where a lot of personalization may come from too. there's another site that says if isfps don't get out enough and exercise Se, they could be straight up weird. :D

gromit

likes this
Wow... this thread certainly is illuminating for me.

This is what I meant. I can see what I wanted to say in all your post, I think you did a good job of expressing it.

I have often felt that people are cramping me, moving in on my space. And destroying my space to work. I think that when I use the word peace I am saying free from unease and I mean free from mental unease. But I see that in my physical space, the space I am in reflects me and affects me. I like what you said about discovery, the description if you are interested in something can always find something new in it resonates with me. Like in flow, the concept of flow.

I can relate to a lot of this actually! Almost word-for-word the main paragraph.

Sunny Ghost

not confusing at all. i agree with both of you guys. :yes:

Sunny Ghost

yeah, i would say that.

off topic, but lenore thomson would say esfp is a little different in how it scans the new (estps as well), since they lead with Se. i would probably explain it badly, but basically.. they kind of gravitate towards more popular expressions of "new", and reflect trends in a way. Fi is a little more personalized.. i don't think she went into Ni, but i suppose, that's where a lot of personalization may come from too. there's another site that says if isfps don't get out enough and exercise Se, they could be straight up weird. :D

hahaha. i'm a little weird... err... :huh:

do you think you could explain this a bit more or have a link?

KDude

^you should just get thomson's book. it's really good.

anyways, i was hestitant on posting this before, but.. i love petula clark's downtown. i don't care if it's old or even gay to some people. she's badass. anyways, it's a good example of someone finding a little peace and inspiration in any Se..even urban, not just nature. :) i mean, what else is this? she's certainly not singing like an N. she sees simple things in a beautiful way.. i think that's the general principle behind the love of nature - yet applies elsewhere.

gromit

likes this
anyways, i was hestitant on posting this before, but.. i love petula clark's downtown. i don't care if it's old or even gay to some people. she's badass. anyways, it's a good example of someone finding a little peace and inspiration in any Se..even urban, not just nature. :) i mean, what else is this? she's certainly not singing like an N. she sees simple things in a beautiful way.. i think that's the general principle behind the love of nature - yet applies elsewhere.

HAHA... I have always secretly liked that song too. :cheese:

I like what you say about that general principle applying elsewhere. I think it's true.

I was doing a photo blog for awhile of all the funny and beautiful little things to see just walking around each day, like abandoned fruit, colorful pavement markings to demarcate underground utilities, funny graffiti, and the weird little nib-nobs I find on the ground and sort of hoard. :wubbie:

I just like to savor those little moments of joy throughout the day.

Sunny Ghost

HAHA... I have always secretly liked that song too. :cheese:

I like what you say about that general principle applying elsewhere. I think it's true.

I was doing a photo blog for awhile of all the funny and beautiful little things to see just walking around each day, like abandoned fruit, colorful pavement markings to demarcate underground utilities, funny graffiti, and the weird little nib-nobs I find on the ground and sort of hoard. :wubbie:

I just like to savor those little moments of joy throughout the day.

i actually have a habit of picking up random items i come across and bringing them home with me. shells, broken pottery pieces, stones, playing cards, a perfectly preserved butterfly or dragonfly, little toys lost, broken key chains. haha. :smile:

^you should just get thomson's book. it's really good.

i'll look it up! :yes:

and i agree with the bolded. :yes:

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8

i think you are on the right track, but not quite there...
ESFPs are not attracted to popular things necessarily -
i think that leading with Fi causes ISFPs to be led very very strongly by their internal and personal ideas,
whereas ESFPs become very excited and personally interested in ideas and things that other people are doing. so sometimes that means becoming interested in popular things, but really it just means becoming interested in what the people close to you are doing.

my wife is ISFP - she stays very true to her own personal ideas and wants, whereas i tend to take up things that other people are doing and become very excited about those things.

wolfy

awsm
i think you are on the right track, but not quite there...
ESFPs are not attracted to popular things necessarily -
i think that leading with Fi causes ISFPs to be led very very strongly by their internal and personal ideas,
whereas ESFPs become very excited and personally interested in ideas and things that other people are doing. so sometimes that means becoming interested in popular things, but really it just means becoming interested in what the people close to you are doing.

my wife is ISFP - she stays very true to her own personal ideas and wants, whereas i tend to take up things that other people are doing and become very excited about those things.

That is an interesting way of putting it. Ties it to things in your environment and what you value as important well.

Interaction_Styles.gif

There is the theory of interaction styles. Where the esfp style is get things going. Here is the wikipidea article on it. In the thread A Quick Guide To Double-Checking Your Type there is a description of how to work down to your style.

* Directing communications have a time and task orientation with an implication of urgency to get the task done. "Have your report to me by close of business today."

or

* Informing communications are designed to enroll the other in the process by providing motivation with relevant information. "Your report is an essential part of our project."

* Initiating types are more comfortable with making the first contact and establishing role relationships. They like to engage others in interaction and conversation and are more fast paced.

or

* Responding types are more comfortable letting others initiate contact and accepting the roles established by others. They are more slow paced and are comfortable with silence.

Get-Things-Going (Informing and Initiating). With a focus on interaction, they act as a catalyst using information, enthusiasm, energy and excitement to persuade and involve others. (ESFJ, ENTP, ENFP, ESFP)

I think the word popular here is more used in the sense that it is prominent in the immediate environment and people are into it. Not necessarily popular in the sense of public popularity.

wolfy

awsm
i actually have a habit of picking up random items i come across and bringing them home with me. shells, broken pottery pieces, stones, playing cards, a perfectly preserved butterfly or dragonfly, little toys lost, broken key chains. haha. :smile:

i'll look it up! :yes:

and i agree with the bolded. :yes:

It is a good book, I found it really interesting too. That is a cool habit, I like collecting too and so does my wife.