• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs and Nature

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
The simple rural life, life in the wilderness, the tribal/communal life - all these may call them.

Their actions speak of the pastoral and the bucolic.

in many ISFPs may be found an instinctive longing for the natural, the pastoral, the bucolic. They are quite at home in the wilds, and nature seems to welcome them. Some have a remarkable way with animals, even wild animals, almost as if there were a bond of mutual sympathy and trust. In some instances a similar bond may be seen between the ISFP and young children, instant and unstudied.

etc. etc.

DISCUSS.

KDude

I like it, as far as activities/open spaces goes. I don't have a preference to live in isolation or something though. I don't even like camping for long periods (just like I'd get restless doing other things for long periods).

Sunny Ghost

hahaha-@ kdudes comment.

There's just something very satisfying about being outdoors. So many things to touch, smell, see, hear...

I enjoy the small town I'm in, as it is very close to a big city... there's a great bar scene here and so much to do, many delicious places to go out and eat at, etc. And as much as I enjoy going off and about and enjoying those city-life pleasures, I long much more for a life settled in the mountains.

I wish I had more to discuss on this one... but ya know... I'm an ISFP... my Te is a little lacking... But, I know my Fi feels it... my Se takes it all in... and my Ni takes me back to a time before my own.

wolfy

awsm
I like nature. I am not any more attracted to animals than the average person I don't think. I like open space, and in a way being in a large open space affects your mind. Takes the edge off. Plus, there aren't a lot of people around and not a lot of things to influence your attention so your mind settles.

KDude

Just to be clear, I'm not a city person either exactly. I'd prefer a beach town or just... something along those lines.. civilization next to nature. I would probably go mad being too disconnected with people/culture/etc. I like the "option" to be there at least. Plus, I like being influenced from time to time :p Inspired even

gromit

likes this
Yes... I feel a pull between the stimulation of city life (like all the people and things to see, hear, watch, smell, etc. just when you are walking down the street) and the sense of peace I get when I'm around things that are green and growing. I guess I compromise by growing plants as much as I can in my apartment, going for weekend trips, and taking walks, particularly in the park.

And I sure do love the ocean!

KDude

I would have to disagree in the OP post about "tribal/communal" life as well. I don't know a thing about connectedness on that level. I have more romantic notions about the idea of connecting on some one-to-one level (if possible).

I see where they're going in the description though.. whoever wrote it kind of had a hippy impression or something. Which might be true to an extent, since nature is.. sensory perfection really.....But I don't think ISFPs shows a distinct preference for one type of aesthetic either. It would vary among people, I think? Isn't Se good at seeing opportunity, in little details.. I would think we all could spot something in any subject or environment and ride the wave, and get involved in different things. Or withdraw when we need it. But as for specifics of what we like, that's probably going too far. I certainly don't want to be in a tribe :p

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
Yeah yeah natures great..

Sunny Ghost

I would have to disagree in the OP post about "tribal/communal" life as well. I don't know a thing about connectedness on that level. I have more romantic notions about the idea of connecting on some one-to-one level (if possible).

I see where they're going in the description though.. whoever wrote it kind of had a hippy impression or something. Which might be true to an extent, since nature is.. sensory perfection really.....But I don't think ISFPs shows a distinct preference for one type of aesthetic either. It would vary among people, I think? Isn't Se good at seeing opportunity, in little details.. I would think we all could spot something in any subject or environment and ride the wave, and get involved in different things. Or withdraw when we need it. But as for specifics of what we like, that's probably going too far. I certainly don't want to be in a tribe :p
i don't know if it's just perhaps a phase i went through or what... but i can say that at one point in time, i had a strong desire for a more tribal/communal life. i didn't see myself actually doing this realistically... but as an ideal, rather. although i enjoy the pleasures of modern day and of the city... i think the politics/economics of life have all become far too complicated and would love to see the world taken back to basics. i suppose when i read that in the ISFP description, i took this as being a common ISFP phenomena of thought, no?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTPs can have these inclinations too.

I'm all about being at happening places, but when it comes down to it, I don't want to live in the midst of an urban circus.

I like fresh air.
I like trees and grass, and plants, and bodies of water.
Ocean air is the schiznit.

Nature is beautiful. Period.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:wubbie: I adore nature... it's the best way to escape demands and enjoy doing things in the peace and quiet that there is! :holy:

I like living in the city with a quick escape route to nature... then I can get all of the things I want from BOTH lifestyles :yes:

and the commune thing sounds more like my INFP friend, who always wanted to start her own rural commune :doh:

KDude

i don't know if it's just perhaps a phase i went through or what... but i can say that at one point in time, i had a strong desire for a more tribal/communal life. i didn't see myself actually doing this realistically... but as an ideal, rather. although i enjoy the pleasures of modern day and of the city... i think the politics/economics of life have all become far too complicated and would love to see the world taken back to basics. i suppose when i read that in the ISFP description, i took this as being a common ISFP phenomena of thought, no?

That part of it is true, for sure. I hate paperwork. Insurance plans, taxes, bureaucracy, etc.. A lot of modern living is just.. not for me.

I seem to be more future oriented though. I like some of the past, but if I were to idealize something, it'd be... a space pirate. Something like that. Not a tribesman :p I mean, that's just one thing.. I want to do something new.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I like where I live, on one side is a sprawling city and on the other side is a sprawling forest. It's a nice mix.

This thread topic and first post has got to be one of the laziest ever, I'm kind of proud.

KDude

Another part of the ISFP descriptions I like is the pull towards new..

ISFPs are the first to hear the different drummer. Many eagerly plunge into new fashions, avant garde experiences, 'hip' trends--some even setting the trends.

Similar to ESFP: New! ESFPs are attracted to new ideas, new fashions, new gadgets, new ______.

It could be nature. I could be something else. Sometimes I'm starving for that too though. Except hunting.. I have friends who hunt a lot, but I've never gone. Not my thing. I'd like to do something completely different, like hang gliding or white water rapids, but then.. can't really do either alone.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Your other post reminded me I haven't been camping in ages, I miss it. Best camping I had was near a beach in a regional park, wake up late, cook a big feed, have a rest, walk just half a minute over the dunes, surf all morning, cook a big lunch, have a rest, have another surf or snorkel all afternoon, then cook a big dinner and sit around a fire watching the stars and talking shit. Then repeat the next day.

*sigh*

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I like nature and I like to be outside... as much as possible. I have been spending the summer doing quite a bit of freelance gardening. It is a great type of work to do. I get to be outside. I can enjoy looking at the river. Plus I get to play in the dirt!
Yesterday evening, I went to an interesting workshop on "wild edibles." The instructor is a certified naturalist. We walked along the road and then went into the woods. She showed us the plants that, normally, we don't pay any attention to. The sorrel, especially, was very tasty. It has a slightly tart flavor and is good in salads. That was just fantastic.
As for the part about the animals... well, yes, I get along well with them. I occasionally work as a pet sitter. I enjoy all of the cats and dogs. When I was a kid, stray cats used to follow me to school! Now, when I take walks, people's dogs generally want to greet me and sniff me and kiss me and dance with me. They probably smell cat on me!!!
About living communally... yes, that could be appealing as long as it's not too noisy and no one smokes!!!!!:hug:

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i like nature. my wife and i (she is ISFP) used to live out in the desert about a 45 minute drive from town. it was great, very peaceful.
we also both love BIG cities. variety is the spice of life.

but we do plan to start a ranch eventually. a cattle ranch, i think. my wife grew up on ranches, and i just enjoy ranching.

wolfy

awsm
What is it about nature? Animals and small children? Why are they in the description? Is it because they all afford a direct connection? The ability to express yourself through or with something while still maintaining a kind of detachment (detachment is maybe the wrong word but I can't think of any other word atm). Is it something like the istp tool orientation but with an animated twist?

I think it is something like that. They all are living things but are relatively agenda free. It is something to do with direct expression. It is, and you can do the same with adults, but it is tricky. The reason I like nature is because it affords me some kind of peace.

What do you get from nature?